• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: the daily chit-chat (jan2019 - jun2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emilia

~ free falling
    Years
    Easier to just not bother cleaning it then ;)
    Yeah, but I accidentally poured coffee on it so I kinda didn't have a choice xD
    Though it is good to clean it once in a while so it doesn't get too filthy

My best friend's PC bricked today D:
    It just blue screens every time she tries to turn it on. She put a lot of money into that thing, I feel super bad ;_;

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
    Yeah, but I accidentally poured coffee on it so I kinda didn't have a choice xD
    Though it is good to clean it once in a while so it doesn't get too filthy

My best friend's PC bricked today D:
    It just blue screens every time she tries to turn it on. She put a lot of money into that thing, I feel super bad ;_;

How much did she spend on it? $2k, $3k+? I've seen people spend thousands only for the computer to last maybe 6 months because of inadequate cooling(hardware got too hot) or bad online behavior(virus/malware, etc.). Then there's the unfortunate luck of having hardware go bad :/ Something tells me that might be the case with your friend but I'm no IT expert :D

Emilia

~ free falling
    Years
    How much did she spend on it? $2k, $3k+? I've seen people spend thousands only for the computer to last maybe 6 months because of inadequate cooling(hardware got too hot) or bad online behavior(virus/malware, etc.). Then there's the unfortunate luck of having hardware go bad :/ Something tells me that might be the case with your friend but I'm no IT expert :D

She took it in today and the guy says it's either the storage or the video card, so she's gonna try and get more storage and possibly upgrade the card.
    I'm not sure the exact amount she put into it but well over $1k, maybe $2k? Doesn't help that she lives in Canada, they seem to charge you more for things over there.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
    She took it in today and the guy says it's either the storage or the video card, so she's gonna try and get more storage and possibly upgrade the card.
    I'm not sure the exact amount she put into it but well over $1k, maybe $2k? Doesn't help that she lives in Canada, they seem to charge you more for things over there.

What things cost are based largely on the currency you use. Since the Canadian Dollar is weaker than the US Dollar, what costs $850(what a RTX 2080 GPU(aka Graphics Card) costs last I checked(probably cheaper now hah)) is roughly 1140 Canadian Dollars(1142 based on a converter). Weak currency sucks for domestic consumption(and importing foreign goods as your purchasing power is weaker) but is great if you want to export products since that means your goods are cheaper for foreign buyers. Add on Protectionist Tarrifs, Interest Rates and you can see the complex gobbly gook that is Macro-Economics lol.

If I had to wager, its probably a bad GPU, although it could be a corrupted/bad Hard Drive(I assume its a HDD and not a Solid State). Either way if she had a warranty on it, that might cover part of the cost in replacing the bad part(still have to pay for labor though unless the warranty covers that too).

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    well both need new batteries and they're both slow af. i think the older one's fan is also bad but maybe that was the latop before it i don't have anymore. idk idk lol.

one day i do need to get an actual decent laptop though this one isn't too great either. but what do you expect from a ~200$ laptop honestly.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    well i mean

why are you willing to give it to me in the first place

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    still wouldn't it be good to still have it as some sort of backup? you never know what could happen

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
    Unless you have bad luck with Computer hardware, Computers typically last 5-10 years, if not more, with proper maintenance and care(like not spilling stuff on keyboard or not running it when its hot to where the fan or cooling system has to work overtime to keep the components cool). I have a PC from December 2010 that's still going strong, although its GPU went bad back in like 2014/2015 so we had to replace that component. Outside of that, its still running :D and yes... I desperately need a new rig because I have hardware from like 2008(and its 2019... a decade in Technology is an eternity). Just trying to wait as long as I can for Intel to get their act together. Been wanting a 10nm CPU for ages now. NVidia hasn't disappointed with the RTX 2080, although I might grab a 2060 to save a bit of $$$. Plus if I keep waiting, DDR5 RAM might be out lol.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I've had the same reasonably cheap desktop PC running for like 8 years now, and it's still going strong.

It's only issue is that I love to PC game, and it's finally barely able to run most games. LOL

Though, looking into upgrades, and it would be almost 1000 dollars to get it running the way I want. WHELP

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I literally just meant like if power goes out but you have things you can do on said laptop you can still do those things if it has battery but ok lol.

I havent had a desktop in ages i thought about it but whats having the money for it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back