• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
    I'm doing The Great Gatsby right now in English :( I dunno why they still inflict it on us - it's so outdated. Also a tad boring...

angel

Kairi's Nobody
    Years
    I'm doing The Great Gatsby right now in English :( I dunno why they still inflict it on us - it's so outdated. Also a tad boring...

Have you just started it? Yes, and not knowing many of the words makes it even more boring. I mean there is this one paragraph that has nothing much big words, that I have never heard before, and my teacher said he wouldn't explain what it meant to us. But I think I understood why..

Zeph.

Years
    I've read it, yes. Also done three essays :'(. But I don't see why he's so 'Great'.

Also the novel itself wasn't even very popular until about 40 years after it was published. Wonder why...

Years
    I've read a bit of books here in HS.

We've read The Catcher in the Rye and The Scarlet Letter for AP English this year. Plus the Tale of Two Cities for Acadeca.

Last year it was Flowers for Algernon, Black Boy, Animal Farm, and To Kill a Mockingbird. (I wish we've read the Grapes of Wrath too for Acadeca this year :()

AP English Literature next year will be torture. |D

Zeph.

Years
    It's amazing how reading - once a prime source of recreation - is turned into such a chore... :(

angel

Kairi's Nobody
    Years
    It's amazing how reading - once a prime source of recreation - is turned into such a chore... :(
    I love to read, but I can see where your coming from. The have to reading can seem to be a chore, but other times the book turns out intresting. Like I didn't think Animal Farm would be intresting but now that I'm on the third chapter, I don't want to put it down.

Zeph.

Years
    Perhaps I wasn't being specific enough :P My bad...

Not all books. I just don't like reading a book I don't find interesting or enjoyable just so I can pass a few essays...

angel

Kairi's Nobody
    Years
    Oh no hon, I knew what you meant. Not all books will be intresting to every single people, that can't happen because everybody has their own taste in everything. And it seems dumb to have to read something you don't want to read just so you can pass the class.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I've grown to hate literature because teachers seem to over analyze everything. I've also grown tired of fan fiction because a certain population of the reviewers seem to over analyze that as well.

I'm glad I don't have to deal with either one anymore.

Really, is it a bad thing that I did not find one single book I read in high school to be interesting, yet I can become fully engrossed with reading my county's zoning laws?

Code

Stealcase
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Apr 23, 2021
    Animal Farm was an awesome book; though at the same time I'm not a fan of animals rebelling against humans, but eh. ;__; I guess if they really felt mistreated or something of that sort, then I guess...D:
    Animal farm is the bomb! =D
    I also read Lord of The flies, and I really wanna read To kill A Mocking Bird....Most of the people in my class haven't even heard of any of these books...*Shrugs* The ignorance....;_;
    We don't even have ANY of them in the library! D;

Eeohnex

Illuminate
    Years

Animal farm is the bomb! =D
    I also read Lord of The flies, and I really wanna read To kill A Mocking Bird....Most of the people in my class haven't even heard of any of these books...*Shrugs* The ignorance....;_;
    We don't even have ANY of them in the library! D;
    Lord of the Flies and To Kill a Mocking Bird are pretty good books, I really enjoy reading then, you should definetly try to look for them. If you liked Animal Farm, you're probably going to like this ones too.

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
    To Kill a Mockingbird and Lord of the Flies are EXCELLENT books. At least, until the analysis. I used to love reading. My parents tell me I was able to read before much of anyone else when I was little. Now, reading sucks. I can't even consider picking up a non-academic required book for my personal reading because school(mainly Honors English)has conditioned me into the rage/fear hybrid feeling that I will have to hyper-analyze what I've read, write an essay on stuff NO ONE WILL EVER CARE ABOUT, and somehow make that essay interesting.

Zeph.

Years
    I like the Bartimaeus Trilogy: The Amulet of Samurkand, The Golem's Eye and Ptolemy's Gate. I'd reccomend them definately :D

Years
    I dunno. I like to read books, but of course it depends on the book and genre.

If it's Alternate/History or a well written sci-fi, I can finish it in a day or so. Even re-read it! XD

Anyways, I really need to finish the Grapes of Wrath. /o/

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    If I tell myself that's all I can do when I'm bored, I can really get into a book and finish it within two days easily.

Oh really? Just see how fat The Sum Of All Fears is, and try reading that in two days.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back