• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The Dancing Tree

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    We have a thread about the gift Eevee, an (almost dead) thread about the Red Gyarados... but what about the oft forgotten Sudowoodo who posed as a dancing tree, preventing many a Violet City citizen from spending all their life savings in Goldenrod's department store by convienently blocking the one-space-wide route? Did you use it, or think it an interesting way to make you go via Azalea? (And did you try to use Cut on it?)

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
    Years
    Since I had played gold, I know pretty much exactly what to do. I caught it, but boxed it. It's a nice addition IMO, but I guess most people don't like Sudowoodo that much. At least, i didn't

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
    I boxed Sudowoodo. I learned that he is not a good Pokemon in-game to use during my playthrough of Gold (sorry Sudowoodo fans). I got no chance to know his new toys. He's forever alone in my box. LOL.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I didn't cut down the "dancing tree" because I already knew it was a Sudowoodo blocking the path.

I caught the Sudowoodo, then boxed it. I did use it for all 5 Pokeathlon categories, though.

Years
    We have a thread about the gift Eevee, an (almost dead) thread about the Red Gyarados... but what about the oft forgotten Sudowoodo who posed as a dancing tree, preventing many a Violet City citizen from spending all their life savings in Goldenrod's department store by convienently blocking the one-space-wide route? Did you use it, or think it an interesting way to make you go via Azalea? (And did you try to use Cut on it?)

The tree sorta dances like the old man in your avatar!

14Henderson7

Poke'Maniac
    Years
    In the first Gold and Silver games...I used Cut. But then I kept getting frustrated and what not and stopped playing cause I didn't know what to do, until I looked at the walkthrough that is...

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I knew the score from way back in Silver, and my MO was exactly the same. Catch it for Pokedex data, then let it sit and collect dust because it doesn't fit in well with my team because I already had a Graveler. Sudowoodo was one of those "forgettable" Pokemon for me until it gained fame in Colo as Miror B.'s Shadow Pokemon. But even that bit of fame and celebrity didn't convince me to use it in SS.

dozo

party hardy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2014
    I hacked it and stored it.
    Sudowoodo has never been loved by me, I don't know why. Maybe because it tried to trick me by posing as a dancing treeeeeeee

Sephirothxx

Likes Ruby version
    Years
    I had already played Gold, so I knew what was up with that tree. Of course, when I first encountered that thing in Gold, I tried for hours to figure out what to do.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I LOVE Sudowoodo. Like love love love. I saw him in the episode and he was so cute, and I love his voice in the anime. I like that he is a rock type, but a tree, and the shakey-sound he makes is cute too. I just like him so much.

The Author

The Hero of Knothole Glade
    Years
    I loved yet hated that thing in the original Gold! :P
    It was fun though to go through that part of the story again in HeartGold! :D

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    My original strategy was:
    The Dancing Tree

But now I just catch it and let it sit in a box.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Wow... am I the only one that killed poor, innocent Sudowoodo? I guess I'm heartless! I think I caught it when playing Gold version, but it didn't fit within my team then, and it definitely didn't fit within my new team when playing SoulSilver. Rather than keep it in a box where it would never see the light of day, I just let it faint and moved on with my life. I guess it's kinder in the long run.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I knew from the start it was a Pokemon, so I didn't try to cut it. I caught it and now it's still sitting in my box. I left it alone in its own special box.

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
    LOL , i remember when I first played Crystal when I was little, I saw it tried to use cut. I realized I couldn't cut it down and I didn't know how to advance in the game, so I just stayed in Goldenrod and played there for hours. Not until I was older was I able to realize I needed the squirt bottle. XD

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
    I caught sudowoodo, boxed and like most people never touched him again. Poor sudowoodo

Cresselia*

Ace trainer
    Years
    First i didn't know how to get past it, so I was stuck on it for hours xD But I knew it was a pokemon, but I beat it and furthermore I never used it.

Black Bolt

Leader of Inhumans
    Years
    i remember i had emerald and never knew how to get rid of the dancing tree
    until i looked at a walkthrough

i did that same thing with HG and found a squirt bottle used on tree
    became sudowoodo

the only time i used was once, i think he was my last pokemon against a wild pokemon
    the last time i used sudo was pokethlon
    i was there in that place for 6 hours when i realized i was wasting my time

Back