• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Dark Knight Rises

Years
    The Dark Knight Rises

The Dark Knight Rises

As some of you know, the third and final film in Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy is titled The Dark Knight Rises, due to be released July 20th, 2012, and it will detail the super hero's continued fight against crime, which has been complicated further by the events of The Dark Knight. Recently, the director Nolan announced two recent casting additions, Tom Hardy (Inception) as the muscle bound brute Bane, and Anne Hathaway (The Devil Wears Prada) as the infamous Catwoman. The tentative cast is as follows:

The Dark Knight Rises Anne Hathaway ... Selina Kyle / Catwoman
    The Dark Knight Rises Tom Hardy ... Bane
    The Dark Knight Rises Christian Bale ... Bruce Wayne / Batman
    The Dark Knight Rises Joseph Gordon-Levitt ... John Blake
    The Dark Knight Rises Gary Oldman ... Jim Gordon
    The Dark Knight Rises Marion Cotillard ... Miranda Tate
    The Dark Knight Rises Morgan Freeman ... Lucius Fox
    The Dark Knight Rises Juno Temple ... Holly Robinson
    The Dark Knight Rises Michael Caine ... Alfred
    The Dark Knight Rises Joey King ... Young Talia al Ghul
    The Dark Knight Rises Josh Pence ... Young Ra's Al Ghul

More information here:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1345836/

https://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/...-and-tom-hardy-revealed-in-dark-knight-rises/

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    Anne Hathaway as Cat Woman interesting... I guess they aren't going with any Tim Burton roots like having Penguin included )=. I am sad this is a trilogy since it left out villains list Mr. Freeze, Penguin, Poison Ivy. If they make Batman Beyond after this I I would be happy though.

Years
    Anne Hathaway as Cat Woman interesting... I guess they aren't going with any Tim Burton roots like having Penguin included )=. I am sad this is a trilogy since it left out villains list Mr. Freeze, Penguin, Poison Ivy. If they make Batman Beyond after this I I would be happy though.

Well, it's reputed to being a trilogy, Nolan hasn'r made any official notive about it. Remember Pirates of the Caribbean was only supposed to be a triology too, and they made a fourth installment, so you never know. I'd love more, personally.

I agree. I really hope at some point we see Poison Ivy, Freeze or the Penguin. :/

Now making Batman Beyond would be very interesting. The unknowing son of Bruce Wayne? I'd have to see a perspective list of actors first to see who would be a good match.

Cooker

As free as my hair
    Years
    Oh I think Anne as Catway is purrfect [not funny 9_9]! She's young and farily seductive, and I had heard like last summer that Rachel Weisz was supposed to have the part [0_0] so knowing that Anne got it is a relief.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I haven't seen much of Nolan's work (I keep meaning to see Memento. I hear it's a masterpiece), but I love reading what he says during interviews and such. I have much respect for the man. He has an impeccable understanding of the art of film-making. He and his whole team that he surrounds himself with. And beautiful cinematography (yay for this film being 100% IMAX!!)

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are two of my favourite films. Back when the title was first announced, I was disappointed. And I still am. It's goofy. The Empire Strikes Back is a terrific film. Much like The Dark Knight it was darker than it's predecessor and had a cliff-hanger ended and left audiences wanting more. But they didn't called Return of the Jedi "The Empire Strikes Back Some More".

I was really hoping that Harley Quinn would be a character. A transition from the Joker (don't show him, for obvious reasons, but maybe have unused audio from the last film to create interview sessions between him and Dr. Quinzel behind closed doors at Arkham).

Catwoman, I think is a boring character. However, Nolan sure has balls to use the character after that Halle Berry disaster-of-a-film. I know it won't be anything like that interpretation (or Burton's, which is my main complaint. Burton already used the character. I know it's separate continuities, but I only wanted the Joker to carry over - he's a constant), but I don't think the bad taste has left audiences mouths yet (for the three of you who actually saw that movie XD).

Hathaway can play dark though. So, I am intrigued. Hardy as Bane, is also interesting. I'm confident they're going to play up Bane's intellect over his brawn (and lose the mask please). And... Catwoman isn't really a villain. Just an anti-hero, sorta. And she'll probably be Bruce's new love interest.

Personally, I think a combination of Bane and Hugo Strange as the villains could work well.

And Live_Wire466, it is the end of a trilogy, yes. Nolan is done with the series after and walking away. Similarly, much of the cast probably won't return without Nolan. WB could probably continue this continuity if they wanted, but it would be different sans-Nolan. Nolan and co. have said they writing it as an ending to their trilogy.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    I was surprised when I read Anne Hathaway would play the role as Catwoman. Not saying I don't like her, because I do, but she never popped into my head as the type to play Catwoman's role. Still, I think she can pull it off pretty well; I'm intrigued myself to see her play the part. Truth be told though, seeing as Catwoman's appearance was never heard of until recently I'm feeling it won't be as big of a part like Hardy will take on in the movie.

Years
    I haven't seen much of Nolan's work (I keep meaning to see Memento. I hear it's a masterpiece), but I love reading what he says during interviews and such. I have much respect for the man. He has an impeccable understanding of the art of film-making. He and his whole team that he surrounds himself with. And beautiful cinematography (yay for this film being 100% IMAX!!)

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are two of my favourite films. Back when the title was first announced, I was disappointed. And I still am. It's goofy. The Empire Strikes Back is a terrific film. Much like The Dark Knight it was darker than it's predecessor and had a cliff-hanger ended and left audiences wanting more. But they didn't called Return of the Jedi "The Empire Strikes Back Some More".

I was really hoping that Harley Quinn would be a character. A transition from the Joker (don't show him, for obvious reasons, but maybe have unused audio from the last film to create interview sessions between him and Dr. Quinzel behind closed doors at Arkham).

Catwoman, I think is a boring character. However, Nolan sure has balls to use the character after that Halle Berry disaster-of-a-film. I know it won't be anything like that interpretation (or Burton's, which is my main complaint. Burton already used the character. I know it's separate continuities, but I only wanted the Joker to carry over - he's a constant), but I don't think the bad taste has left audiences mouths yet (for the three of you who actually saw that movie XD).

Hathaway can play dark though. So, I am intrigued. Hardy as Bane, is also interesting. I'm confident they're going to play up Bane's intellect over his brawn (and lose the mask please). And... Catwoman isn't really a villain. Just an anti-hero, sorta. And she'll probably be Bruce's new love interest.

Personally, I think a combination of Bane and Hugo Strange as the villains could work well.

And Live_Wire466, it is the end of a trilogy, yes. Nolan is done with the series after and walking away. Similarly, much of the cast probably won't return without Nolan. WB could probably continue this continuity if they wanted, but it would be different sans-Nolan. Nolan and co. have said they writing it as an ending to their trilogy.

Memento is amazing, you won't be disappointed. XD

I agree as well. The tilte is pretty goofy, but Nolan know what he's doing. Same thing with the Hathaway cast, I don't see her as Catwoman, but then again, lots of people said Heath Ledger wouldn't be a good Joker either, and we all know how that worked out. I think he'll have everything squared away nicely.

Ahh, that's what I was thinking. Oh well, 3 amazing films will do nicely. :)

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 34
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I very much like the two being casted as those characters. I can't wait to see how the story plays out. Talia Al Ghul is also rumored to be in the film, and boy do I hope Eva Green takes that spot. She'd be perfect for the role!

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years

Memento is amazing, you won't be disappointed. XD

I agree as well. The tilte is pretty goofy, but Nolan know what he's doing. Same thing with the Hathaway cast, I don't see her as Catwoman, but then again, lots of people said Heath Ledger wouldn't be a good Joker either, and we all know how that worked out. I think he'll have everything squared away nicely.

Ahh, that's what I was thinking. Oh well, 3 amazing films will do nicely. :)
    I'm confident Hathaway will make a great Selina. Nolan seems to have a knack for casting people to portray characters you wouldn't normally think of seeing them in. Like with Robin Williams in uhh... what was it... Insomnia?

duabrown

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2012
    Batman The Dark Knight, and two of my favorite movies. At that time the title is the first announced, I am very disappointed. And I still feel. This is stupid. The Empire Strikes Back is a great movie. The Dark Knight is dark like than its predecessor, there is a cliff hanger ending, the audience something more to say leave. But they did not counter the so-called return to the Imperial Jedi more.

Years

I'm confident Hathaway will make a great Selina. Nolan seems to have a knack for casting people to portray characters you wouldn't normally think of seeing them in. Like with Robin Williams in uhh... what was it... Insomnia?

That's true too. Now I just wish the movie would get here sooner, summer 2012 is still pretty far off yet.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    "I read the script 2 weeks ago, and he's done it. Plain and simple — he's done it. It's a phenomenal script. He's still in the process of cutting it back because it's a very long script right now, but it's really phenomenal. And he actually had me go back and wanted me to watch, in IMAX, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight again. When I watched those I had read the script for The Dark Knight Rises and was like, 'dude, it is a perfect trilogy.' I think that was his intent, to work off those two pictures — and they are very different pictures. And it's funny, we all had different opinions about which picture we like better."
    ~Nolan's cinematogropher Wally Pfister

I feel very relieved.

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    Considering I love Anne Hathaway in any way, shape or form I am excited for this. I wouldn't have pictured her in this role this was announced, but since it was, I can actually see her doing poor Selina Kyle some justice. Too bad Poison Ivy doesn't make an entrance though, because as much as I adore Uma Thurman, that movie...ugh.

This will be a very interesting movie for me.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Two villains? Do not really want. It didn't work with Spider Man, although I didn't really like that trilogy to begin with anyway. It only worked in The Dark Knight because Two-Face was only introduced for a short role at the end, so I hope there's something similar this time and Nolan makes one of them the 'main' villain. Spider Man tried cramming two main villains into one film, and as a result I thought neither of them developed very much or presented a decent story. Interesting choice of villains as well, I wasn't really expecting either of those two to be chosen.

I really do hope Nolan will somehow make it work; if he manages to pull this off then he's confirmed for god-tier.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Catwoman isn't really a villain. She's not evil. Misunderstood and from time to time, she's Batman's love interest.

I think most of the of the time she'll just be Selina. Maybe a tiny bit of night prowler action as a semi-side kick since Nolan doesn't want to introduce Robin.

Maybe she'll just be a prostitute. Who knows

Years
    "I read the script 2 weeks ago, and he's done it. Plain and simple — he's done it. It's a phenomenal script. He's still in the process of cutting it back because it's a very long script right now, but it's really phenomenal. And he actually had me go back and wanted me to watch, in IMAX, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight again. When I watched those I had read the script for The Dark Knight Rises and was like, 'dude, it is a perfect trilogy.' I think that was his intent, to work off those two pictures — and they are very different pictures. And it's funny, we all had different opinions about which picture we like better."
    ~Nolan's cinematogropher Wally Pfister

I feel very relieved.

I am very excite. :D

Watching The Dark Knight rn, actually.

Now based on that, and the cast, I think the only real piece left in the puzzle is the music. Both of the previous film's soundtracks are nothing short of genius- Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard are amazing composers, and the dark, moody tone of the music really develops the film and makes everything work. If the score delivers as well, then this movie will be absolutely perfect for me.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I have nothing to base this claim on really, but the scores of both films come off to me as ZImmer's sound, but Howard's composition.

Zimmer can compose great stuff (see the score to The Lion King), but lately he and the rest of his Remote Control Productions / Media Ventures colleagues just have very cut-and-past derivative scores that could fit any of their movies.

Maybe it's Zimmer (he seems to do a lot of the talk and promo, not Howard) but, I don't know. I'd be surprised (not that I particularly like Howard either, mind you).

Either way, it works well in the film. And TDKR should be fairly similar. Nolan, after all, had originally considered just tracking in BB music into TDK

Calamity

Just for the love of the game.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2020
    Considering the Dark Knight is one of my favourite films ever, I cant wait to see how they end this trilogy. The storyline will be pretty interesting to fit in with the Dark Knights cliffhanger XD Also I'd like to see how the two villians, well if you class catwomen as a villian fuse together in the storyline, cant wait! :D

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    My big question is if there will be any reference to the Joker at all. Obviously the film isn't going to play out as originally conceived. But, I think it has to be addressed at some point to tie up loose ends. Is he held up at Arkham now?

Years
    My big question is if there will be any reference to the Joker at all. Obviously the film isn't going to play out as originally conceived. But, I think it has to be addressed at some point to tie up loose ends. Is he held up at Arkham now?

See, I;m not sure what they'd do. They want to do right by heath, but the story needs the Joker's current whereabouts to be known. Using some computer and audio effects, they could take sound bytes of the Jokers voice to use later in the third film, if he's to be featured at all.

Going by the comic and the history of Batman, technically he should be in Arkham.

Back