• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The DCC: New Spring Edition coming soon 3/21!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Well, I liked both Harry Potter and Avatar in 3D lol. I guess they were good but it's a really huge pain to put those fat 3D glasses on my normal ones. Really annoyed me lol.

Years
    I still consider 3D anything to be a gimmic. I don't think they have made it good enough to really be a selling point.

The 3D in films, personally, I think they are just slapped on so they can have the option of 3D. Not seen enough games and such to comment on that, but I can't imagen it to be any different; the 3DS's games, from what I played, weren't that great to be honest.​

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    It's been forever since I've been to see a movie xD. Haven't seen anything I've been interested in as of late. As for 3D, even if Hollywood were to release something that caught my attention, I think I'd skip the 3D effects. I don't feel it's necessary to enjoy the movie or adds much to it.

Don't own a 3DS yet, but chances are I'll play that with the 3D effects turned off.

Years
    I still consider 3D anything to be a gimmic. I don't think they have made it good enough to really be a selling point.

The 3D in films, personally, I think they are just slapped on so they can have the option of 3D. Not seen enough games and such to comment on that, but I can't imagen it to be any different; the 3DS's games, from what I played, weren't that great to be honest.​

Quoted for emphasis, couldn't agree more with the bold statement.

Years
    The 3D in films, personally, I think they are just slapped on so they can have the option of 3D.​
    I think this here is why they bug me so much. They don't care to really take the time to use the technology they have to the full effect or to get creative with it and try to use it in different ways.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    The one 3D film that I'd urge people to check out in 3D (as opposed to 2D) is this modern dance documentary called Pina. Even if modern dance isn't really your thing - it certainly isn't mine - the 3D stuff does make you feel like you are actually watching these performances live, as opposed to behind the fourth wall of a cinema/TV screen. It's definitely the best use of the medium I've seen, mainly for how different it is from all the other uses so far.

Most other stuff I've seen in 3D has either used it as a tool of distraction (any horror film with 3D on the end) or just blended into the background (Toy Story 3). Added to the extra charge you have to pay, the annoyance of having to wear the glasses (for me, on top of my already substantial specs) and the 30% colour reduction, and a 3D film really doesn't seem appealing to me unless it's of Pina level quality.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    It's the difference between live action and animated. Animated films don't really have to pay much more for 3D since it's just a shift in what they're already making from scratch. However, live action movies have to buy special expensive equipment. So I trust 3D in live action more than 3D in animated movies. :x

Years
    It's the difference between live action and animated. Animated films don't really have to pay much more for 3D since it's just a shift in what they're already making from scratch. However, live action movies have to buy special expensive equipment. So I trust 3D in live action more than 3D in animated movies. :x
    I would think it would be the other way around, that animated movies would be better for 3D since the 3D would be sort of weaved in the movie as the movie's being made.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    I'm kinda confused by what you mean by 'trusting 3D' in live-action more than in animated movies? Indeed, many live-action films are converted to 3D after shooting is completed, whereas that option isn't really available to animated ones. (Well, it is, but it's a looooooot more expensive than even live-action.)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I would think it would be the other way around, that animated movies would be better for 3D since the 3D would be sort of weaved in the movie as the movie's being made.

I thought of it as "because live action is more expensive, they'll make sure to make it good". Animated movies don't have to buy that equipment so they can do it for relatively cheaper and therefore can just slap it on without thinking much about it.

I'm kinda confused by what you mean by 'trusting 3D' in live-action more than in animated movies? Indeed, many live-action films are converted to 3D after shooting is completed, whereas that option isn't really available to animated ones. (Well, it is, but it's a looooooot more expensive than even live-action.)

But I'm talking about how filming itself is more expensive because they need those fancy 3D cameras. ;o Conversion is still like 25k a minute at least according to Wikipedia though, lol.

Years
    I thought of it as "because live action is more expensive, they'll make sure to make it good". Animated movies don't have to buy that equipment so they can do it for relatively cheaper and therefore can just slap it on without thinking much about it.
    I guess that makes sense. I had always thought that with live acting the producers and such approached it as "It costs X to make it 3D, but we think we can make back double that. Go do it."

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Nolan's one of the chief opponents to 3D. Apparently, he tried some test shots for Inception and was extremely disappointed in the results. On the other hand, he's one of the chief proponents of IMAX, and is shooting the majority of The Dark Knight Rises in it, which should be good.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    I'm totally looking forward to the Dark Knight Rises. I loved both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, and I just know that the third part is going to be awesome :P I'm a fan of Nolan's work anyways lol.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Christopher Nolan presents...

The Dark Knight Retires to a Pleasant Assisted Living Village

Karma Police

Arrest this man
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Christopher Nolan presents...

The Dark Knight Retires to a Pleasant Assisted Living Village

HAH. As if there weren't enough dirty jokes revolving around the current title, "The Dark Knight Rises". If you know what I mean ;P

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back