• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Death Penalty

Outkin

OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
Years
  • Another believer of eye for an eye, and a big fan of dexter. I thnk the offender should be killed if the evidence proves it was that person, and could only be that person (Good camera footage or damn police saw them do it for example) but to avoid aciendal killing, if they're not 100% sure, the person should be jailed. Also, i disagree with taking apart the criminal for parts, I think it should be up to their closest family to decide what happens to the body (I don't think they'll be happy when they request the body and they get the chopped up remains of johnny)

Years
  • I think that the idea behind the death penalty is that there are some people that are just so horrible, that they must die for their awful crimes.
    If someone murders another person, how does the murderer deserve death?
    The people that decided to kill him are technically murderers. So shouldn't they deserve death too, technically? After all, two, three, or four wrongs do not make a right.

Never in my post did I say I was for or against capital punishment. My post is based on conditional logic. If X then Y. Given that capital punishment is in place, then would you not rather the dead body be put to use before getting discarded?

Whatever you are saying here might be true and all (or not) but I never said that I think society does have the right to just kill someone either. I agree with Morkula's post btw. Besides, if their organs are being used is not up to the government or whatever, but up to the person (if they ever signed earlier in their life that they would not want their organs to be used) and if not, the family.

That is fair enough. I took the assumption that society had no problem with capital punishment for the basis of my post, for the sake of simplicity. I can agree with the latter part of your post too but if the sentenced person has not signed anything and the family has no issues, then the government should be allowed to extract organs from the dead body and put them to use.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • I believe killing anybody is morally wrong in any and every possible circumstance, and it can only be somewhat accepted if someone's life is being directly threatened in that precise moment- and I still think that the attacker should be just incapacitated instead of killed. So I agree even less to killing someone after you have captured them.

Death penalty isn't justice, just vengeance.

Years
  • Do you know what institutionalized means? When someone spends a certain amount of time in prison they become use it it, it is no longer so bad. Trust me i know the prison system. Not saying that its a happy time its a ball of fun...but there comes a point where it doesn't matter anymore, if someone doesn't feel remorse then a life in a box won't fix that. And the death penalty though can seem fair at times, it has killed a lot of innocent people and honestly takes 20+ years to even be executed.

You're using the wrong interpretation of the word.

And I doubt that. You don't get used to not having any persona freedoms. It's not something you "get used too". And killing them won't make them feel remorse either. At least they'll have plenty of time to think if they rot in prison for their crimes.

Back