• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Disability thread

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
    Years
    I really see nothing wrong with doing this. I was hoping this would be easier for those that have disabilities and can come here to discuss experiences, challenges or maybe get tips on how other people cope with them.

However, I do advise that you keep your comments within PC's general rules and that means no discriminations.

As thumper always said, "If you can't say nothing nice, don't say anything at all."

Anyway, as for me I have bordeline to mild autism, ADHD, social phobia/severe anxiety, a slow learning disability and depression.

I really want to see how this thread goes and feel free to discuss people you know with disabilities or if you yourself have them. You just have to remember to help someone and not try to feel as if you are hurting them. :P

Also. mods and high staff, please don't close this. At least give it a chance and see how it goes, if things do get out of hand, feel free to close it if you feel the need to do so.

I want to feel just as welcome as any of you guys would so please, don't be shy. ^_^

Also, all disabilities are welcome, we want to hear about them and maybe even learn something about what your disabilities are. It never hurts to learn something new.

Last edited:

Ashen

※ あなたを…
    Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2009
    I... wouldn't call depression a disability. Sure, it disables you in daily life, but it's a mental illness, not a disability. Depression can be treated; a disability can't.

Also, anyone who discriminates against another because of disability isn't just stupid, but they're breaking the law... well, kinda sorta. There's laws for people with disabilities in the workplace that make discrimination, you know, a pretty bad thing for the employer (the ADA laws). How that applies here... don't ask. It's late and my brain works weird ways then.

As for me, I have a unilateral hearing loss – which I've had since birth – (which means I can't hear at all out of one ear), Asperger's syndrome, and a condition called familial periodic paralysis, which more or less means that if my blood potassium level gets too low, I go into paralysis. Not fun at all.

But, even with all that, I'm succeeding relatively well in college, other than certain extenuating circumstances. And I'm more or less going to school for free, not because of my disabilities, but because of all the stuff I've done regardless of them. To be honest, a disability (or multiple disabilities) shouldn't make you into the person you are, but your actions regardless of them – the things you do to overcome them and succeed is what really matters. In fact, I think this so important and it's so strong a feeling for me that when we had a diversity retreat, I completely forgot that being disabled is a part of how I came to be the person I am today. Of course, it's not completely the reason, but it's still a part of my life, something I – and many other people – have to overcome every day.

I could write a whole page and a half on this, but it's kind of late and, like I said, my brain isn't exactly, you know, all there...

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    Well, I have Pectus Excavatum. Big word, I know, and you probably have no clue what it is. To put it in more understandable terms, "sunken chest." It can sometimes impair my cardiac & respiratory ability. It really started to affect me about three years ago, but I've had it since birth, when I collapsed during Football practice because I couldn't breathe. After numerous tests, yadayada, I had to quit high contact sports because of this deformity. It even acted up the other day while ice skating, had to take a short break to catch my breath. Unfortunately, the only way to improve this is getting surgery, which, yeah, it's pretty painful. XD But I am highly considering the major surgery (Nuss procedure) for it this summer.

To dive more into it, it basically decreases my basic lung capacity. When I'm running, working out, stuff like that, I know I've hit my limit when Pectus starts flaring up, then I'm forced to stop. It happens about 1 - 1000 births, but I've only met two people in my lifetime with it. XD; But mine is more mild, not extremely severe or "must fix now!" ... Thankfully. So yeah, my disability is a dent that hampers my activity in life, I guess I could say that.

I'd also say more, like Ashen, but at 2:37AM? I'll pass 'n' talk later.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I have a lot of Astigmatism and a lot of something else. I don't remember, but it was some sort of heredable eye disorder. A double knock for my poor eyes.

Today, I am the nerd you all know and love, and I've been one since 3rd grade. What a shame.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Hehe. Well I've got the usual suspect. ADHD. Though to be honest, It hasn't been too bad. I guess I'm lucky in some ways. But I'm glad that most anyone with any Learning Disorder or even a physical disability has just as much chance of making something of themselves in this world as anyone else does.

Though I do get rather irritated at those who give up when they hear they're disabled. People like that tend to drag even me down. x3

Soul Eater

Years
    I... wouldn't call depression a disability. Sure, it disables you in daily life, but it's a mental illness, not a disability. Depression can be treated; a disability can't.

Also, anyone who discriminates against another because of disability isn't just stupid, but they're breaking the law... well, kinda sorta. There's laws for people with disabilities in the workplace that make discrimination, you know, a pretty bad thing for the employer (the ADA laws). How that applies here... don't ask. It's late and my brain works weird ways then.

As for me, I have a unilateral hearing loss – which I've had since birth – (which means I can't hear at all out of one ear), Asperger's syndrome, and a condition called familial periodic paralysis, which more or less means that if my blood potassium level gets too low, I go into paralysis. Not fun at all.

But, even with all that, I'm succeeding relatively well in college, other than certain extenuating circumstances. And I'm more or less going to school for free, not because of my disabilities, but because of all the stuff I've done regardless of them. To be honest, a disability (or multiple disabilities) shouldn't make you into the person you are, but your actions regardless of them – the things you do to overcome them and succeed is what really matters. In fact, I think this so important and it's so strong a feeling for me that when we had a diversity retreat, I completely forgot that being disabled is a part of how I came to be the person I am today. Of course, it's not completely the reason, but it's still a part of my life, something I – and many other people – have to overcome every day.

I could write a whole page and a half on this, but it's kind of late and, like I said, my brain isn't exactly, you know, all there...

Well, depression can usually be but under control of medication. You're right, its not really a disability. Though, most disabilities like that are treated with meds to keep it in balance.

Anyway, has anyone heard of Michael Savage? He was the one that said all kids with Autism are brats. I don't believe thats true. I mean the part about misdiagnosing isnt rare because you get these crackpot doctors who don't know crap.

Soul Eater

Years
    Yes, I have a disability. I can't get a girlfriend.

More often?

I'm not going to have time for anything else. :P

EDIT: j/k.

It's a very serious issue for me.

That's not the kind of disability I had in mind. That's not a disability at all. D: This is for people that either have developmental, physical, psycological, intellectual or mental. D: Also, Asthma and allergies are accepted too, since those tend to limit people depending on how bad it is.

I do know that my aunt got Social Security benefits for her depression. D: I don't think needs that much attention. It can be treated with medication so its not something that bad, although it can be, if you aren't on meds. (like me. x_x)

Years
    I have quite severe myopia (short-sightedness), if you want to count that. My prescription's very high (or low, as it were, given that shortsightedness is measured in minus numbers), to the point where I can only see colours and vague shapes without my glasses.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    I'm near-sighted, and my eyes are slowly getting worse, but they've started to even out, so it's not serious, but my mom is legally blind without her glasses XD

Candy Christina

poseidon's tsunami
    Years
    I have asthma, but I've sort of "outgrown" my asthma symptoms in a sense. I haven't had an asthma attack since I was like 6 or 7. :D A lot of people I know seem to be surprised when I tell them that because I never really act like I have it at all.

Degenerate

Immortal
    Years
    That's not the kind of disability I had in mind. That's not a disability at all. D: This is for people that either have developmental, physical, psycological, intellectual or mental. D: Also, Asthma and allergies are accepted too, since those tend to limit people depending on how bad it is.

I do know that my aunt got Social Security benefits for her depression. D: I don't think needs that much attention. It can be treated with medication so its not something that bad, although it can be, if you aren't on meds. (like me. x_x)

But it is developmental. I obviously haven't developed the ability to attract girls.
    But it could be physical. Maybe I'm just not physically attractive.
    But it is psychological. It makes me feel like I'm living a life devoid of love and closeness.
    But it is intellectual. In addition to having no skills, seems I have a problem learning how to attain those skills and use them successfully.
    But it is mental. It's always troubling my mind whenever I see couples being together.
    I think my problem should be considered a disability too. >:

lol maybe I can get benefits for my disability as well. This can't be treated with medicine so it IS bad.

Soul Eater

Years
    I have asthma, but I've sort of "outgrown" my asthma symptoms in a sense. I haven't had an asthma attack since I was like 6 or 7. :D A lot of people I know seem to be surprised when I tell them that because I never really act like I have it at all.

That's like me and my allergies. I don't get very sick from them, normally I do get a stuffy nose or a scratchy throat but never bad enough so that I feel sick. Sometimes its almost as if I don't have them.

@Degenerate: Okay, tell me this, does your 'disability' have a specific name? :<

Guys, feel free to talk about your disabilities, ask questions about the disabilities other people have, etc. This is more like a discussion thread so stay while and maybe you will learn something new about someone's disability you didnt know about. :3

Hell, if you even want to ask about some of mine, I don't mind. ^^ I'm always telling my friends about them. XD

Last edited:

4th Gen Matt

Pokemon Onyx Creator
    Years
    I have the worst astigmatism that you have ever seen. I can only see clearly up to 3 feet in front of me, then things go all blurry. I have to wear glasses to fix it, but the glasses only increase this range to like 10 feet clarity in front of me. It has held me back because I usually don't do well in class because I can't see the board.

I have a neighbor who has ALS. He will be completely paralyzed in about a year. Poor guy.

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
    Mild ADHD. It sucks, but I can control it. Like, I don't throw tantrums like everyone else I've seen with ADD or ADHD. It kinda runs in the family cause my bro has it too.

I also got asthma.Which really sucks cause I had to quit a lot of sports cause of it. But now, I take a breathalizer treatment before the sport event, and after. And when I don't have sports, I take it ever 4 hours. IT TOTALLY SUCKS!!! And it is so freakin noisy! I gotta take an inhaler to school with me, and everything. Like, last week, I had to get some sort of scan and I was on the bridge to a really bad phenomia, which they say could've put me in the hospital.

So, that's bout it.

Really sad, my cousin's friend, got in a really bad car acident and he is in a vegetable state and could die and moment

Last edited:

the bitter end.

.only slightly insane
    Years
    I have horrible depression and insomnia, I can't think of anything else. Depression really sucks -.- I think I'll outgrow it and I can't wait. Insomnia sucks even more, I'm up till five in the morning staring at the ceiling.

Back