• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Donkey Kong Country Music Appreciation Thread

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019

Because it's THAT good.

The DKC series has always been notable for its fantastic music among the gaming community. The first game set a new benchmark for game music and has become very iconic and considered revolutionary during its time. With David Wise returning to compose for Tropical Freeze, the series saw even more recognition and the love continues to grow.

Let's talk about the music!

Rabby

The Samurott Awaits...
    Years
    O.o After all the games i played in dat series, i dont remember a single thing about this music...
    Well, i did recognize the faint background beat ^^

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Your videos aren't working. I wanna listen to them. :(

But yeah! Love the community's work in remixing the soundtrack. Have you ever seen this?
    Spoiler:

Less of a remix, more of a cover. But it's amazing! I thought they picked fantastic choices for their instruments and in all honestly it outdoes the original hot head bop, which is already one of my favorite themes. They also did an amazing Mining Melancholy cover, but I'm not much a fan of their work for Stickerbush Symphony.

As for actual remixes I'll probably give it to this one
    Spoiler:

Keeps the spirit of Forest Interlude, but gives it a smooth jazz feel. It's different enough to stand on its own. This guy actually made a good few DKC2 remixes and they're all great, actually I like his In a Snowbound Land remix the best! I just felt obliged to post Forest Interlude since it's the winner in my heart.

Out of curiosity, have you listened to the Tropical Freeze OST? Wing Ding, Amiss Abyss and Seashore War are masterpieces.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    ^ You've shown me that remix before, and it was really outstanding! Hm, here are just a few of my favorites:

Punch Bowl
    Spoiler:

GOODNESS this one has a really great beat!

Disco Train
    Spoiler:

I got addicted to this one. :3

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Punch Bowl is EASILY the most hype music in the whole series and also the best boss theme. Mountaintop Tussle is second best.

The variety in Tropical Freeze is amazing, just compare Punch Bowl to Seashore War. It's like two pieces of music in completely different games and yet they both easily fit in Tropical Freeze. OST of the decade.

Irate Eight (land) is easily the most underrated track in the game though. It's easily overlooked because it only plays in a very short segment of the game and is overshadowed by the lockjaw saga remix.

SO SMOOTH. You just wanna groove with this. The sax gets me all the time.
    The Donkey Kong Country Music Appreciation Thread

Yeah, bud.

Fruity Factory and Horn Top Hop are two contenders for being underrated. Horn Top Hop is straight up N64 stuff.

Fruity Factory is probably the most "moody" piece in the whole OST. There's just something about the melody that really gets to you...it actually feels nostalgic in a strange yet comforting way.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Yeah, Tropical Freeze is on Wii U. The best game on it currently as well, so good.

The Delay is pretty great. Love mixes like that, and it's amazing how well Hot Head Bop blends with Stickerbush. TF actually does it too by mixing Aquatic Ambiance with Lockjaw Saga. David Wise knows his stuff.

I was actually just thinking about what the most DKC2-like piece is in Tropical Freeze, not counting remixes. Something more serious and dark, not particularly poignant so that rules out the likes of Seashore War and Forest Folly.

Alpine Incline (Ground) fits right in DKC2.
    Spoiler:

Also this is becoming the DKC2 and DKCTF thread. Where's the DKC1/DKC3 love at!

Years
    My favorite tracks have to come from the 1st 2 games, from Dkc 1 it would be the under water music, just so relaxing and serene.

From Dkc 2 it would be gangplank Galleon, just so iconic and makes you feel like your on a pirate ship.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    Creating a top 10 favorite DKC music is incredibly difficult. Like seriously: DK Island Map, Jungle Japes, Bonus Room, Aquatic Ambience, Life on the Mines, Gangplank Galleon, Welcome to Crocodile Island, Stickerbush Symphony, Lockjaw's Saga, Crocodile Cacophony, Stilt Village, Rocket Barrels, Mountaintop Tussle, Punch Bowl, Homecoming Hijinx, the list goes on.

I really hunger for Tropical Freeze music to be added in the upcoming Smash Bros. title, because it'll be awesome to hear Punch Bowl - one of the best boss themes ever - while beating the snot out of other players at the same time.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
    I LOVE GANGPLANK GALLEON, it reminds me of the Krusty Krab music.
    I do enjoy the GBA version of DKC3's music, one of them reminds me of a certain song (can't list it here, people will be "offended").

Back