• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Dowsing Machine!

Binary

え?
Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I actually used it for the first time today to find a rare candy in Pinwheel Forest, hoorah. P:
    I love the new dowsing machine. It's easy, accurate and I have it out all the time. A great improvement.

persocom-chi

chobits
    Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2011
    The new dowsing machine is so much better you just have to follow the errow and than ding ding ding you found something. I always end up standing on top of the item and then stepping back. :D

otakulily

Pokemon is okay, I guess.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    Forget the bicycle. I have the Dowsing Machine set to Y and I use it pretty much everywhere. On the other hand, it's so incredibly annoying having to close the thing before opening the menu. Then you have to bring it up again when you close the menu. :s Also, whose brilliant idea was it to decide that you can't pick up items right under you. You're standing right on the friggin item. Why can't you pick it up arghdgfgsdfhdfgnsdg.

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
  • OMG I LOVE it! In D/P/Pt, I never even bothered trying to find hidden items because I literally dreaded using hated the dowsing machine of that generation just that much. I just could NOT figure out how to use it. I would walk around tapping, but finding the item was sheer luck. Sometimes I would get lucky, sometimes I'd get frustrated and give up. I was worried that B/W would have the same kind of machine, but when I realized how easy the new one is to use, I was very pleasantly surprised. Most of the time, I'll literally just travel the region with the machine on- it's just that easy to use. It's a very big improvement, in my opinion.

Years
  • The Dowsing Machine is so cool in Black and White. It is very, very helpful. I like how it actually points to the items for you, all you have to do is have it on. It is such a helpful item!

DayDreamer

Pokemon Gamer
    Years
  • Best thing in Black and White in my opinion. I leave it on all the time. I'm really confident that I got all the hidden items because of the new dowsing machine =).

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I think it makes finding hidden items too easy now. The point of hidden items is that they're hard to find, and that's utterly negated by the Dowsing Machine now. It could at least have had a shorter range to try to balance this out, but no, the whole screen is covered (and then some, I believe!). It could also have been intermittent (e.g. scan just once per couple of seconds to make you actually concentrate on finding the items), but again, nope.

I also appear to be the only person in the world who didn't like the follow me feature of HGSS either, but that's off-topic.

TheUnown

Super Lurker
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2015
    I never used it in other games but I really like using it in Black. I mean, it's easy enough to use so I keep it on all the time xD.

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    The item finder is cool now. They really help you find items unlike before you where you had to press A everywhere just to find it :|

Zhinc

a Dark-type trainer
    Years
  • I like the new dowsing machine, but I do miss being able to see a little dot on the screen that tells me the general location of the item; I keep running into the problem of the dowsing machine picks up the presence of an item, but it's on the other side of the trees, and I can't seem to get there because I need an HM I don't have or some other reason. I mean, I'd still be having that problem, but at least I wouldn't waste time trying to stumble upon it. =/

D0N3GAN

Working on Pokemon White...
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2011
    I think its awesome as soon as I got it in game I set it to my Y Menu and have been using it ever since.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Hmm...seems like an upgraded version of Generation III's ItemFinder...just without the necessity of repeatedly pressing Select to display the arrow. ^^ A welcome alteration, indeed. Granted, I haven't tried out Generation 4's ItemFinder/Dowsing Machine (app) yet, but from the description I'm seeing, BW's update to it appears to be a great improvement. It'll probably be assigned to one of my hotkeys...until I find all the invisible items, that is. XD

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I honestly haven't touched it because I assumed it would be like what it was last gen. :x

But I'll start spamming it everywhere I run now! It sounds brilliant, how they've changed it. |D

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • I think it makes finding hidden items too easy now. The point of hidden items is that they're hard to find, and that's utterly negated by the Dowsing Machine now. It could at least have had a shorter range to try to balance this out, but no, the whole screen is covered (and then some, I believe!). It could also have been intermittent (e.g. scan just once per couple of seconds to make you actually concentrate on finding the items), but again, nope.
    Even though dowsing machine is convenient to use now, I have to agree with the guy above... there's just no point in "hidden" items anymore; they were supposed to be hard to find, not easy to find. ;)

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I use the Dowsing Machine almost every time I go around a route/city or town for the first time. It comes in handy, and especially with the ability to register more than one item and access it in a quick menu, it's simply easy to access for me now. maybe i just don't feel like going through my bag to find it :B

It's definitely been made much more simpler than it is in previous games, so that's a plus in my opinion. I guess if it's really been made too easy, you can go through places the old fashioned way and click random spots on the ground to give yourself a challenge there. n_n

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • The Dowsing Machine is much more convenient in this game, which I like.

But I prefer the Dowsing Machine in HGSS. It was more like a treasure hunt that way which made it was more exciting imo. I also loved how your pokemon would let you know if there was something hidden nearby.

Years
  • This is the the first generation I've played since Gen II, and I must say, this machine almost babys the player, which is convienant, but at the same time non-challenging. I remember being 10, and a smile would cross my face after spending twenty minutes using that evil itemfinder on the same 30 squares. :P

Back