• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen the DS cartridge could make this game 4 times longer!

mewtwo-EX

The original EX
    Years
    Someone: The size of the save file really depends on what they choose to save. From my experience, the save data from the Advance games takes up about 128Kbytes of flash (correct me if I'm wrong). Not much, to be sure, but I'm not sure how much is in there to begin with. DS cards have, I believe, a lot more available space for Flash, if the game requires it. Flash space really isn't an issue: I think what they don't to make it easy for people to replay the game (probably due to getting starters easily). Think about the GCN games: they have plenty of space on memory cards, yet still only allow 1 game per card. They must have a reason...but it's silly. *Huff* *Huff* *Cough* *Wheeze*

Wolt: Yes, that was what I was trying to say :P. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in RS, FL, they have 5 sprites for each pokemon: FrontR, FrontS, BackR, BackS, Mini. These are simply manipulated / mirrored to give the different views (battle, pokedex, etc). The Male / Female sprites in DP could easily be selected with the "gender bit", and could be as simple as a few extra pixels drawn by the engine, no extra sprites necessary. (or small extra sprites like you said, but isn't the minimum size 8x8?)

someone1939

Just Plain Awesome
    Years
    mewtwo-EX said:
    Flash space really isn't an issue: I think what they don't to make it easy for people to replay the game (probably due to getting starters easily). Think about the GCN games: they have plenty of space on memory cards, yet still only allow 1 game per card. They must have a reason...but it's silly.QUOTE]

Oh yeah... I forgot about that... excellent point.

someone1939

Just Plain Awesome
    Years
    Wolt said:
    Correct, the Pokémon images, if needed, are manipulated by the engine.

The DS has multiple options of storage. We get a chunky 4 MB of RAM on the DS, which is quite a lot (Crystal and Gold would both fit into it, for example). It means that the DS can responsibly handle temporary things like Pokémon Battle Revolution download play. And the flash size of the DS carts, with me speaking about storage in the card itself now, while I don't have an exact size, is both big and expandable. There probably is a physical limit to the standard, but otherwise I doubt Flash memory is a problem for Nintendo.

So does that mean that it's possible for us to get, like, story updates and extra objectives that would be downloaded over Wi-Fi?
    Basically, I guess what I'm asking is: if it's not in the game's code to begin with, could it be done? (For example, could a new island that's not in the game's code be downloaded to the game via the DS's Wi-Fi or the Wii's Connect24?)

Years
    I love da way Tbone says it, and I hope they have Jhoto in it. However, they could also be evil and include the region directly before like in G/S/C, and then it would be Hoenn(SP?) and Shinou.

but anyways, GO JHOTO!!!

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jul 13, 2006
    I never liked that you could pass the whole game at level 50-60, they should extend the story and give you better things to do for longer.

mewtwo-EX

The original EX
    Years
    Wolt said:
    Correct, the Pokémon images, if needed, are manipulated by the engine.

The DS has multiple options of storage. We get a chunky 4 MB of RAM on the DS, which is quite a lot (Crystal and Gold would both fit into it, for example). It means that the DS can responsibly handle temporary things like Pokémon Battle Revolution download play....

From the battle images, it's looking like all the effects will be engine-generated. Small sprite changes would be easy in comparison.

Ah, right. That was one of the problems with GBA connectivity: 256kb(its/ytes?) Too small to store much of anything. Maybe now with DS to Wii connectivity, we'll actually get more stuff on the DS screen !!. The transfer rate of the GBA was 2kbytes/sand the DS is 128kbytes/s, so filling the 4MBytes of RAM would take about 30 seconds compared to the GBA's two minutes.

Back