• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The effectiveness of earlier generation Pokemon in gen V.

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2019
    Now that we have so many Pokemon to choose from I'm curious as to how many people still use earlier generation Pokemon. I definitely have some favorites that I plan to acquire (alakazam, typhlosion, charizard, tyranitar, etc.) And some that I'll have no problems living without (spinda.... Omg..). Also if you DO use previous generation Pokemon im curious as to your reasoning behind it. Is it because youve grown attached to it after training them in other games, or because of their stats and typing, or simply cause of its sprite.

ShadowStriatonTriad

Shadow Triad Elite
    Years
  • I'm only into Generation 5, Generation 2, and Generation 1 Pokemon. I still use Generation 2 and Generation 1 Pokemon, but I don't like to use them in newer Pokemon video games (in example, Pokemon Black 2/White 2 will include Pokemon from previous Generations.) I am excited that I've seen Arcanine and Eevee in the promos; but besides those, I would have preferred previous legendary Pokemon such as Arcticuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Lugia; or even just Pokemon from Generation 1 & 2 like Vulpix, Xatu, Noctowl, etc etc instead of Riolu.

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2019
    Do you choose not to use them because of the fact they have to be traded into the game or is it for some other reason (stats sprites etc.)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Even post game I never used them. I felt like they weren't really a part of Unova, and I didn't really want to include them in a brand new generation. They just seemed like extras thrown in there to expand the region. Sure I caught them but other than the ones in Dream World I don't really have much past generation Pokemon. In fact, there was a point even months later where I just hadn't caught any from other regions. XD; Didn't want to spoil my dexxxx.

Good thread btw. :3

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I got burnt out on most Unova Pokemon after my Hall of Fame challenge. So I often have older Pokemon in my BW playthroughs cause I just don't feel like raising another -insert Unova Pokemon here- but there are a few exceptions. I also don't like having the same team twice, and since only Unova Pokemon are obtainable within BW, it's a bit restricting, like in Gen I. But at least it had a reason for being that way, unlike BW. Thank goodness for trading, right?

tj4bigred

Instant Classic
    Years
  • Once I had raised up my Unova Pokemons to fairly high levels and completely the Pokedex, I will admit I cast most of them aside for my favorites like Breloom and Salamence. However there are some Unova Pokemon I absolutely love like Volcarona, Hydreigon, Reshiram, Victini, and Scraggy! So I still use those fairly often. :3

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • After defeating N/Ghestis, I tried to make the post-game a bit more interesting by making three different teams. The first one, I called 'Alpha Team', and was comprised of what I thought were the best Pokemon I could have found in Unova irrespective of what generation they came from. In that team, three were Gen V, one was Gen I, another was gen II and the final critter was Gen IV. Had there been more pre-Gen V Pokemon available, the number of Gen V critters in the Alpha Team probably would have been lowered accordingly to make way for older Pokemon.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • I don't really like using older generation pokemon, since I have already used them multiple times throughout the years anyways. Not to mention even if generations offer multiple generations of pokemon in that region I like to use the newer pokemon regardless. Post game I am content using whatever though.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    The only Pokemon I really use from the previous generations in my White are Roserade and Gyarados, and that's because they're in my top six favorite Pokemon. Really, my entire list of favorite Pokemon consists of nothing BUT Unovan Pokemon. They're just really amazing, and in my opinion, the other generations are somewhat lacking when compared to this one. :x
    I mean I'll use other stuff like Mismagius, Milotic, and such, but only if they're pretty or super adorable. :x

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2019
    Well I finally ended my playthrough of black and the only early generation Pokemon on my team was tyranitar. The post game is getting pretty lame and I havent really grown attached to anything from this generation yet. Id like to train earlier gen Pokemon (gen 3 and gen 1) but im just too lazy to go through it all over. Those Pokemon not being available in the current gen kinda takes away from the series imo

Infernova

Simple Philosopher
    Years
  • Actually I was glad to finally migrate my SS pokemon over to my white game when I beat the champion. Setting up your team is like learning how to ride a bike. You have to learn how to use it. Start with a completely different team, and you might not have a "feel" for it yet. Infernape is my favorite pokemon obviously. I was happy to migrate him over and shake Unova to it's core. Some Unova pokemon are just a little too exotic for my liking. Some are awesome though too. Like Bisharp.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2019
    I do agree though that unova had a pretty good selection of Pokemon. Even some with crazy stats and typing. But maybe its because im getting older and sentimental/hardheaded but ill stick with Gens 1-3 as far as the majority of my team.

Last edited:

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • I tend to use a mix of all 5 generations. My main team is Haxorus, Hydragon, Elektrose, Aggron, Kingdra, and Charazard, so I'm just missing 4th in that.

(sp?)

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2019
    I like that idea. I wouldn't be able to pick just one per generation though. Maybe two from 1 two from 3 and two from 5 because its "current".

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I don't really used older Pokemon in White mainly cause I found some Gen 5 Pokemon that I completely enjoy and they've stuck on the time. Every once in a while I have older Pokemon but mainly for training. Though my main team has only gen 5 Pokemon.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    I was traded a Charmander fairly early on in the game (about when I'd just gotten by 3rd badge), and I raised it up to a Charizard, which has been a very valuable member of my team. Particularly since it gains 1.7x EXP because (I believe) it was traded to me (in the UK) from the US.

I also have a Tropius for some reason (I know I traded for it obviously, but I'm not sure why or who from!) that I used briefly, but not a lot. I seemed to prefer my Maractus as my Grass-type and my Unfezant as my Flying-type.

I have a few other Lv.1 things like Machop, Squirtle, Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip and Absol in my boxes, but I've never even touched them.

Oh, and I got that Darkrai event as well, but again, it's boxed and I've never used it.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I used pokemon of the previous generation because I found of the Unova Pokemon to be quite boring to be honest...plus it was tiring to see so many new ones at once, I wish they had mixed them up...
    Plus I like better the old Pokemon like Salamence, Metagross, Garchomp, Empoleon, Blaziken, etc.

Years
  • I like better the old Pokemon like Salamence, Metagross, Garchomp, Empoleon, Blaziken, etc.

This in so many ways. The Unova birds are awful other than Swanna. Starters are also lesser than their peers. Empoleon, Swampert, Venusaur, Sceptile, Infernape, Typhlosion and Blastoise are much better. Thinking that it may well just be the Dark and Bug types that aren't completely outclassed by something older...

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • I make it a point to use as diverse a selection of Pokemon that I can, especially in normal game play. Competitively I use a lot of older Pokemon, as well, in fact my most used team consists of dreamworld Ninetales, Venusaur, Charizard and Dragonite. One of my many favorite funsies Pokemon to use lately is dreamworld Golduck.

I don't really care about what generation a Pokemon is from, I use em all.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    This in so many ways. The Unova birds are awful other than Swanna. Starters are also lesser than their peers. Empoleon, Swampert, Venusaur, Sceptile, Infernape, Typhlosion and Blastoise are much better. Thinking that it may well just be the Dark and Bug types that aren't completely outclassed by something older...

For me it's different. I didn't want the older Pokemon because I've spent so much time with them, and while some Unova Pokemon are in fact worse, it's the change that made me really want to start all new and not bring back the older Pokemon. :3

Back