• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The effectiveness of earlier generation Pokemon in gen V.

Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2023
    My whole team is currently made up of pokemon from I-IV. oh, yeah the only Gen V is Hydreigon because has awesome stats and is a tank in my team. Otherwise I only use the older Gens because their pokemon were better in everyway. This Generations pokemon are the worst of them all

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Pokemon black was my first Pokemon game I ever played and I still use a cloyster on my team. Cloyster's moves and one of it's abilities make it a deadly Pokemon to battle against. Use shell smash at least once and it becomes very fast with a super high attack for a move such as icicle spear. If cloyster has the skill link ability, icicle spear will hit 5 times every time! I mainly use cloyster as my lead and it has destroyed entire parties so yah, 1st generation Pokemon are still useful.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I never caught any of the previous generation Pokemon in Unova. Postgame, if I were to use any past generations I would transfer them from old games. I would transfer my old teams to Black and then restart my old games. C:

Maybe because I didn't thoroughly explore the postgame areas, but I didn't really like most of the Pokemon there. Or maybe just a few Pokemon were really common, because I didn't really see a lot of variety.

Years
  • Just because the older generations are just that, old, doesn't mean they aren't effective. Plenty of Pokemon, like Starmie, Gengar, Tyranitar, etc, are lethal in the right hands. I use older ones for that reason, and because I like them. I have more favorites in older generations anyway.

Galdr

ドラゴンのおうじ
    Years
  • Also if you DO use previous generation Pokemon im curious as to your reasoning behind it. Is it because youve grown attached to it after training them in other games, or because of their stats and typing, or simply cause of its sprite.

As soon as I was able to migrate, I did. While I do like most of the Unova Pokemon, I really couldn't live without my Infernape, Pikachu and Leafeon. (or even raising new ones) You could say I've grown attached to the previous gen Pokemon, namely because they grew on me.

But, I really wish they'd put some thought into the sprites; I loved the Gen 4 sprites of all the Pokemon, including some Johto Pokemon. Some got recycled, like Typhlosion. I really hated its DPPt sprite. They should have kept it's HGSS sprite and animated that. Leafeon should've had its PtHGSS sprite; same with Glaceon. Raichu's looks pretty dumb to me. However, even though majority of the older gen Pokemon's sprites look atrocious in my opinion, I can't live without them.

The Pokemon I chose to migrate personally was my Lopunny, Infernape, Pikachu, Leafeon, and some others that I can't remember--oh my Lucario. Yes, definitely. Spinda, I love them Spindas. <3 And I just remembered; I needed my Charizard, too. She's just awesome and I think I overused her in too many games. For Colosseum, XD, FireRed, Diamond and now Black. Lol.

Dmatt

Medium-Rare Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    I always train pokemon that I love, and I love for them to be together :p so, I migrated from Pearl, Platinum and SoulSilver, to their new Black home, and that's pretty cool, they blend in well with my new babies :)

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2012
    Umbreon was the best choice ever... EVER. It was so defensive to the point where if it got a crit on it or a super eff on it, it wouldn't even quarter its hitpoints.

It even got better to the point where it learned confuse ray and some other status effects.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Yeah, I must say older Pokémon got some new interesting additions that make them more usable.
    I used Lucario and Espeon in my gameplay of White 2.
    The fact that Signal Beam and Shadow Ball were made special was a huge profit for Espeon and now it can deflect lot of its weaknesses.
    After story I used Dragonite and Umbreon.
    I believe older generations finally got some use in IV and V gens =)

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I only used 5th gen on my play through of Black, mainly because I wanted to use Pokemon that I had never used. If I played again (can't because all my Pokemon are on my Black save) I would defently use other Gen Pokemon aswell as Gen V Pokes.

Monasti

Unknown master
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Mar 19, 2013
    As soon as I finished the main story, I immediately swapped out my Darmanitan, Sawk and Zebstrika for what, in my opinion, are better pokemon from other generations. My Charizard from Leaf Green, my Electivire from Heart Gold, and a Lucario I got off of GTS.

It's the first time I've ever used other gen pokemon post game, and I must say, it's much better than using only Gen V pokemon. Plus the fact all of them get boosted Experience so they level up super fast :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2020
    Majority of my entire team (and box) are all filled with Gen I-IV Pokemon, with the exception of Volcarona and Hydreigon. Truth to be told, I hated the idea of having entirely new Pokemon everywhere. I can't decide which one I should use. That's why I migrate/transfer Pokemon from my HG game right after I get the national dex.

That and the fact that Gen V was my least favourite, because I got hooked onto Gens I-IV real quick.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2013
    I straight away when starting my pokemon white traded a starly from my platinum game because I really didnt like unfezant which is the equivalent of staraptor/pidgeot, I just like having staraptor with brave bird so yeh.

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2015
    I usually have pokemon from the first and second generations filling up half of my team the rest are fifth gen

Back