• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Elements Of A Great Video Game (Ryo Nagamatsu, Fox Trot, Witch Encounter) [Daily Bloggity Entry #84]

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    [css-div="background-color:#CC6633; border-style: solid; border-color: #000000"]
    Bastion-Review(3).jpg

Date: 19 May 2014
    Time: 4:03 PM ET
    Mood: Glad to have the next few days off ~

As many of us are more likely than not already aware of, there are many types of video games out there, as well as the many types of elements that make up those games. You've got your first person shooters, your role playing games, puzzle games, racing games, platformers and shoot-em'-ups, strategy-based and cooperative multiplayers, and many, many more. As such everyone has their preference as to what entitles a game to be deemed "great" in their minds, or even that rarely used "perfect."

I've played a lot of video games in my life time - man someone's trying to make themselves so old *cough cough* - and as such have experience quite a lot when it comes to the quality and control of video games and their content. I've grown up playing the Nintendo Entertainment System, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, the Sega Genesis, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, the Nintendo 64, Nintendo SP, the Playstation 2, the Gamecube, Nintendo DS, the Wii, the Xbox 360, the Playstation 3, Nintendo 3DS, and will soon be in possession of either a Playstation 4 or the Xbox One. I can still remember those earliest days of watching my dad try to beat Mr. Sandman on the NES in the Punchout classic, as well as my brother and I trading off the controller to see who can get farther in Super Mario Bros. 3 - very fond memories indeed. But I digress - what I'm trying to say is that I've played quite a wide variety of games and over the years have been able to pinpoint what games thus have given me that drive to stay up in the wee hours of the night to just beat one more boss - something I believe we've all experienced at one point or another.

Daily Music - "Lorule Theme's 1-5" by Ryo Nagamatsu
    Spoiler:
    Personally for me, there are two core elements that make a game "great" in my mind and gives me that hook to just keep trucking: unique and well constructed art design, and a fantastically epic original soundtrack. Looking at art design specifically, when I say that I don't exactly mean that the game has to have high definition graphics that need to "completely blow your mind away." Instead, I'm talking about games that show that a lot of care and detail was placed in it, almost as if a person digitized a finished masterpiece from a blank canvas. Two video games that clearly depict this in my mind are Bastion and Bravely Default. There are sections in both of these games where even though they are in 2D, you can see every minuscule detail that the designer puts into the game - a huge reason why I don't just blow through games. I actually like to take the time, stop, and look around in my environment to just take in how much hard work the designer put in orchestrating such a unique and artistically savvy environment for the every day gamer to play in. That's why in a game like Bioshock Infinite it would take me almost 10 minutes to just progress to the next area because Columbia was such an aesthetically beautiful overworld to play in with so much richness to it.

Daily Comic - "Grades" by Bill Amend of Fox Trot
    Spoiler:
    The second element, an epic soundtrack, should be a must in every great game. Games need to have that little "oomph" that will propel the gamer forward when it comes to traversing and pushing the game forward - at least that's why I believe. The soundtrack of a game can drastically change the gamer's experience as a whole, and thus is an imperative element to any game. For instance if you're fighting a main boss in a game, would you rather fight it to some droll pansy-like track or an enormously epic track that makes your blood pump and makes you feel like you are a part of the game? That's how I felt when I was recently playing Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. When you get to Lorule Castle in the end, you need to beat four bosses to get to the very last boss. As you enter the castle for the very first time, the dungeon music will only have a few instruments playing. However, as you progressively beat each mini boss, the soundtrack will add new instruments and vocals, making you feel incredibly badass and propel you forward into wanting to beat the dungeon master (which you can find as the Daily Music for this entry - the five songs are spliced together into one arrangement.) That's great game design in my opinion.

Daily Video - "Witch Encounter - Minecraft Animation" by animator Slamacow
    Spoiler:
    As such though, those are just my opinions of what makes a game great in my mind. I've many times just stopped playing a game completely because I just couldn't get into it for numerous reasons - which I may or may not touch upon in a future entry - but whenever I've played games that have had unique art and fantastic OSTs, I've just been unable top put down the game until I've beaten it. So: how about y'all? What games do you see yourself playing the most? Are there specific elements of games that you look for when you try to find the next big game? Comment below as I'd love to hear and discuss with you what you have to say about this topic!

‡ As always, the "Daily Bloggity" is self written by myself and includes just some of my opinions on different mediums. If you have a subject that you might want me to touch on, feel free to PM me or comment below! I would love to hear some of your ideas! Tune in tomorrow at 5PM Eastern Time for the next edition of the "Daily Bloggity!" Cheers! ‡

- elheroeoscuro

Spoiler:
    [/css-div]

Nathan

Blade of Justice
    Years
    I think you forgot a great core element as well : gameplay. A game can have stunning visual style and an epic soundtrack but if the gameplay sucks, then it's a flop. At least that's my opinion.
    If controls are frustrating in a puzzle game and it's really difficult, then I don't think you'll even play two stages :P

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    Nathan;bt97790 said:
    I think you forgot a great core element as well : gameplay. A game can have stunning visual style and an epic soundtrack but if the gameplay sucks, then it's a flop. At least that's my opinion.
    If controls are frustrating in a puzzle game and it's really difficult, then I don't think you'll even play two stages :P

Haha I thought gameplay was a given, but you are right; I guess I did technically forget that ^_^

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Yeah, gameplay comes first for me, and then would music. That's just because... well, that's what a game is for - the gameplay first and foremost. The rest are more things that compliment it - the music can help give/create the atmosphere, the artstyle can help with the presentation or again add to the setting, but you can appreciate those aspects by itself, while the game can arguably be played with a lesser version (just be less enjoyable). But while the music and art style can be killer, if the game's no fun to actually play then it'll fall f;at regardless, I feel. Or fat, as I initially typed it.

But yes - after gameplay, the music ranks next for me. Artstyle is also significant, although maybe less so for me personally (I really do love my music). Other parts like story and dialogue/characterisation would be significant aspects too, but at a lower stage of importance as I know some games lacking in those that were still great fun to play. Depends on the genre in part, I suppose!

Agreed that BD did great with the environments. I loved the detail in the maps and towns, and then that moment when as you're appreciating the surroundings, it then zooms out to show you the whole town. Very nice touch.

Back