• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The End: 2040, not 2012

Years
  • There's not much money in it probably but there'll be no money anywhere if this really does happen. I'm pretty sure people could forget the money just one for the sake of not having a repeat of what happened to the dinosaurs...

But yeah, I think we'll have the technology to stop it. I don't know what technology, but I think we'll have it. Although that said, I'm fairly sure that this is being exaggerated by reporters. The fact that it's been stated that the calculations currently aren't very accurate, yet the article goes on regardless to state a figure from NASA, suggests that the figure has been pretty heavily manipulated.

although the 2012 end of the world isn't meant to happen until december lol
    Maybe we could or even already have the technology, but it would need to be tested, perfected, and I would think that by the time we were sure the comet would be dangerous, if that's the case, there wouldn't be enough time left. I mean, I'm sure these scientists would okay with making plans just in case, but that costs money.

EarthWolfblade

Returning breeder
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2013
    [SIZE="a"]It's possible if it gets close enough they could fire a bunch of missles to knock it off course...then again,that could just be my imagination xD[/SIZE]

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    Im not honestly sure what they could do to stop a giant comet/asteroid from hitting Earth to be honest, though in 28 years who knows there could be. I hope that the asteroid dosent hit us, it cetainly wouldnt be pleasant if that were to happen. I would hope the world wouldnt want to end then, I want to live past 2040, I'll be 52.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Baseless American capitalist propaganda used to try and subconsciously encourage citizens to spend more money before 2040 arrives.

Years
  • Honestly all of us have a good chance of dying before this comet hits...Depressing? Maybe but this is how things have been going for thousands of years history is a blue print for the future. Enjoy life while you can because you may not see tomorrow.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I'm not too worried about it. It's mainly deals with my faith where I believe you just may never know when the world will end. There's been countless of end-of the world predictions that end up failing. I have a really hard time believing most predictions from scientists or accident civilizations with a "calendar that predictted a bunch of diasters".
    Though I am concerned about that 1/625 chance but not worried. By then I'll be 48 and have lived a good life so it wouldn't matter if I died then compared to now when I'm 19 ,single, and still living at home.

Bela

Banned
    Years
  • SNOR(es)LAX said:
    Guess what? I don't even give a damn about all this "end of the world" rumors. They just keep trying to lie to us and make us all freak out about the world is ending.

You can thank sensationalism, such as the creation of this thread, for the constant bombardment of people decrying the 'end of world.'

Which by the way, even if this asteroid does hit the Earth, the planet will be fine--it's just the lifeforms which inhabit the planet that are ****ed! And is that really such a bad thing if something like that happens? That's just natural selection at work. =) Just look at the dinosaurs!

Scarf said:
    2. We won't have the technology to stop this in 28 years. There's no money in comet-avoidance.
    If it turns out this asteroid actually poses a threat, and big monied interests saw that the whole planet was about to get ****ed, they would certainly do something about it. After all, ****ing over the planet is THEIR thing!

Vendak said:
    Baseless American capitalist propaganda used to try and subconsciously encourage citizens to spend more money before 2040 arrives.

This is the link for the thread topic

This is RT's Wikipedia page

If anything Vendak, it's Russian propaganda. #AmericaHater

Scarf said:
    3. Scientists (or maybe reporters) trying to drum up interest with sensationalist headlines.

And here is a news release from NASA's website:

Asteroid 2011 AG5 - A Reality Check said:
    Asteroid 2011 AG5 has been receiving a lot of attention lately because of a very unlikely scenario which would place it on an Earth-interception course 28 years from now. Here is a scientific reality check of this relatively nondescript space rock which is currently ranked a "1" on the 1 to 10 Torino Impact Hazard Scale[...]

The NASA news release calls it "a very unlikely scenario." Can you explain how this is scientists sensationalizing?

Mr. X said:
    Space probe carrying a nuclear warhead? Space shuttle equipped with high powered missiles?

I don't understand why people get such a hard-on for blowing stuff up, especially when it comes to asteroids. You do realize that doing this to an asteroid just breaks it up into many more pieces that will still hit the Earth, which would actually be more devastating as you effectively increase the range the asteroid would strike?

Toujours said:
    What kind of countermeasure can you possible come up with against a giant comet hurtling towards Earth? Science isn't magic, you guys.

Lol the Magic School bus saves the Earth

The best solution I've seen scientists come up with for deflecting asteroids is to gently 'nudge' their direction with probes, sending them careening off course from their presumed Earthly target. Of course, this is why they try to detect them early, in order to throw them off-course long before them hurtling towards Earth is a problem! =)

AWsquared said:
    [...]I have a really hard time believing most predictions from scientists[...]
    Sector Revenge said:
    Well. For one, I never believe anything scientists say anyway. To much theories and make-believe stories, in my opinion. I personally believe they are doing this to make attention to their theories and make big buck off this. $$$$ is everything these days anyway right?
    lololol

How many times in history has there been a 'doomsday asteroid' sensationalist story floating around? Dozens of times! All of them talk about these unlikely odds, the great uncertainty in the calculations, the low confidence intervals, etc. There will always be temporary 'omg the world's ending' events; this isn't the first, nor will it be the last.

Should we be talking about the end of the world at this point? No.

Should we be waiting to get more information before we start freaking out? Yes!!

How about you start freaking out about what's happening right now: the push by our U.S. media for a war with Iran, where there exists the potential for nuclear war, before you start worrying about some asteroid that, based on current estimates, has about a thousandth of a percent chance of hitting the Earth in 28 years?

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • The world is 3/4ths water, and that asteroid is going to have a hell of a spread when going down.

Even then, smaller peices have a better chance to burn up in atmo. Whatever does hit though, while possiably killing a rather large amount of people, would be better then the large one coming down a killing everything.

As for why people get hard for big explosions, the fact is that properly created, controlled, and planned explosions can solve lots of problems. It's just the uncontrolled and unplanned ones that cause chaos.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Oh, an asteroid coming down? 2040 is quite a short time from now, relatively, but 28 years is actually quite a lot of time for mitigation plans if the chances of hitting can be detected to be high enough at an early time.

Controlled explosions and/or other mitigation plans, and failsafes should be able to be used before any potential impact.

I think I fully agree with Mr. X on the whole thing. There's a way to solve everything.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • I'm thinking of a few sciences but not one that could save us. Computer sciences and robotics engineering are what I'm interested in.

Even then, my solution would most likely be something that causes a big boom

pumpkinpie5

Veteran Legendary Collecter
    Years
  • My friend told me about this and I doubted it was really on the news. But it is.

Do you know what you do? You send a very powerful missile up into the sky in the hope of "nudging" the comet out of our atmosphere. If it gets too close, gravity may pull it closer, so we need to be prepared. Plus, in 40 years the world went from the first airplane to trips into space. In the first twelve years of the 21st century, we got from going 3 times the speed of sound to hypersonic, space shuttles to deep space probes. And we still aren't sure the comet will hit. Many d-day asteroid theories have come up, from planet X to Nibiru, they were proved unreal. Who knows this icy rock will hit us?

btw, the end was supposed to be December 21st, 2012. That day hasn't come yet. The world might still end then.

Last edited:

Rudy

give us a song ex boyfriend
    Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    is this the comet thats supposed to hit earth on april 13th

does a vidyagame instigate this one

Q1dJB.png

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    Welp. I'll just be 48 instead of 20 when I throw my end-of-the-world party. No big deal.

My dad told me about this and I initially didn't believe him until I saw it on the news myself. It's kind of a scary thought but I'm not going to worry about it until... well, 2040. And on the off-chance it does hit (since the chances seems to be relatively low, albeit still there), I'll be 48 and hopefully will have lived a pretty fulfilling life at that point.

Nash Bandicoot

Dingodile use Flamethrower!
    Years
  • I don't believe anything scientists say. A lot can happen in 28 years, by then this comet will probably be nowhere near earth. I don't believe in global worming, I'm not believing in this until there is PROOF.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Would make for a cool movie. I don't hope it hits, and I have my doubts that it will, but you never know.

Back