• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The fate of Pokemon Amie and Super Training?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Do you think these new games will keep the Pokemon Amie and Super Training Mini Games? If so, do you think they'll be enchanted/updated or left alone?

pkmin3033

Super Training I think they'll keep in, it's a great way to EV train easily and I doubt they'll want to take that out. It might receive a slight update, maybe in the form of some different minigames, but I'd be very surprised if they removed it completely.

Pokemon Amie, however, I think has a higher chance of being removed...it feels and sounds very much like a Kalos-exclusive feature and, whilst that leaves Sylveon's evolutionary method up in the air, I'd honestly be very glad to see the back of it. Besides, with all this Fire Emblem controversy going on in other quarters, I'm getting the message that petting anything is bad.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Super Training I think they'll keep in, it's a great way to EV train easily and I doubt they'll want to take that out. It might receive a slight update, maybe in the form of some different minigames, but I'd be very surprised if they removed it completely.

Pokemon Amie, however, I think has a higher chance of being removed...it feels and sounds very much like a Kalos-exclusive feature and, whilst that leaves Sylveon's evolutionary method up in the air, I'd honestly be very glad to see the back of it. Besides, with all this Fire Emblem controversy going on in other quarters, I'm getting the message that petting anything is bad.

Well, petting people is extremely different than petting your pets, so... yeah I'd say Amie is very safe. Lol.

I can however see it phasing out in the new generation, and Sylveon's evolution requiring a specific held item or something like how Espeon or Umbreon was obtained in XD Gale of Darkness when there was no time feature. However, I can also see the potential for it staying with the series too, since it seems to be part of a 'package' with Super Training and PSS, and PSS is extremely useful and pivotal so I don't think that's going anywhere anytime soon.

I think we'll just get some kind of upgrade with all of those features, like the PokéGear in Gen II being replaced with the PokéNav in Gen III, then the Pokétch in Gen IV, etc. We'll just have to wait and see though, because the Pokétch included a ton of amazing features that were all left behind.

Years
  • I think Super Training would mainly stick around due to the competitive fanbase and their frequent use of EV training. Pokemon Amie however, is at risk of being removed and that will likely cause Eevee's evolution method for Sylveon to have to be altered to cope with the feature's removal. I still hope Amie stays because it's nice to pet your Pokemon.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I think both will remain, as they aren't exclusive to Kalos.

I feel like everyone forgot OR/AS had Pokemon Amie and Super Training. Anyway, I believe that Pokemon Amie will be slightly updated... not removed completely, that'd be a step backwards, honestly. Both will be kept, since the Hoenn remakes had them, too.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I feel like everyone forgot OR/AS had Pokemon Amie and Super Training. Anyway, I believe that Pokemon Amie will be slightly updated... not removed completely, that'd be a step backwards, honestly. Both will be kept, since the Hoenn remakes had them, too.

Exactly. However, I think HgSs also had the ball capsules from DPP and those were removed in V...but I think Aime and ST are bigger than some capsules. Not to mention that Sylveon needs Aime to evolve (I guess they can give it the Milotic treatment too ,but...)

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I think they'll stick around. Being able to pet and interact with your Pokemon is HUGE and so is being able to train your Pokemon. If they were to bring back the Pokemon following you I could actually see those features being moved to a menu that appears when you try to talk to your Pokemon. (rather than have it being part of the bottom screen, which they'll probably want to keep free for some other innovative idea)

Personally I'm more worried about the DexNav feature introduced in ORAS never being seen again.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I think both will stay. EV training is too popular and is what is making the game almost near an E Sport. I wouldn't mind it it disappears though. I find the idea of it very annoying to use and takes a ton of time.

I think Amie will return unless they find a replacer for it. Amie basically replaced Pokemon Dream World. Although I preferred Dream World better.

They are trying to increase the amount people interact with one another. That is the entirety of their plan. I don't think they would remove something like Amie even though it is only indirect contact. I think Amie will be updated and will allow different interactions over the internet with other people.

However, Amie can also be easily removed. All they have to do is require max happiness, make your Eevee wear a specific item and have it know a Fairy Type Attack.

Years
  • However, Amie can also be easily removed. All they have to do is require max happiness, make your Eevee wear a specific item and have it know a Fairy Type Attack.

The problem is, affection in Amie is very different to happiness, and Eevee needs the former for Sylveon. If Pokemon Amie does get removed, I could see Sylveon getting treatment similar to Milotic in games with no Contests present, and instead have a held item that evolves it.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I definitely think that Super Training will stick around. It seems they're trying to make getting into competitive more accessible than it was before. And they'll probably enhance it and add extra features and conveniences to it.

As for Amie, I'm about 50-50 on that. It could come back because all they'd have to do was copypaste it in there and just add extra interactions for whatever amount of new Pokemon they'll be adding. But it could also easily be removed because they can't be bothered to add the new Pokemon interactions to it or because they don't find it "necessary to the theme of the new region" or some poorly explained bullshit like that. I don't really mind if it goes, to be honest. I'd rather it be replaced with Pokemon following you because that just feels more... real to me. (Amie just feels like you're petting your Pokemon in some random fantasy world disconnected to all of reality and also seems really redundant because Happiness exists) An ideal situation that isn't going to happen though is connecting Amie to Pokemon following you and having them have different reactions on the overworld based on what you've done with them in Amie.

Last edited:

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I hope they keep it, it changed pokemon for me.

*hopes that the very serious sounding words will convince game freak to keep it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2017
    If they ever remove the Pokémon Amie, this would be my reaction:
    Spoiler:

Though seriously Amie is one of the main reasons I play Pokémon, being actually able to treat them like living things is pretty huge in my book. I don't even want to evolve some of my Pokémon in White 2, because I want to play with them in amie in 6th gen once I have beaten the game.

TCB

Tranquilo.
    Years
  • Those two features are really popular, to both causal and competitive players. It would be a shame if those were dropped. I would want to see them retooled however, especially for Amie, seeing how 'Affection' and 'Happiness' are two separate attributes, but for the former it just feels arbitrary in some cases.

However, if a certain interview with Sugimori is anything, then I am a bit worried with just how 'simplified' SuMo will be and how/if Amie and Super Training could be a consequence of it:

In the magazine "We Love Pokémon", Game Freak's Ken Sugimori commented on the seventh generation of Pokémon.

When asked what the next generation of Pokémon games will be like if such a plan exists, Sugimori commented that they will not add more layers of complexity, but rather revert back to simplicity, in part by using elements found in Pokémon Red and Green. Therefore, there is now speculation that Game Freak may opt for this route in developing Generation VII.

As a side note, not only the number of games, but also the number of Pokémon, moves, abilities, items, etc. increase as each new generation is introduced, to such a degree that is difficult to remember all of them. It is impossible to decrease the amount of Pokémon, and such a move is assumed to be uncalled for, but some fans have claimed that it might be better to significantly organize/trim the moves, abilities, items, etc.

Also, Sugimori thought that other than the content of the game, Pokémon designs could probably be simplified, as well. As an extra, he stated in the same magazine that his favorite Pokémon of all times, even now as of the Pokémon XY series, is still Gengar as in the past.

captainfez3

Old School Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2019
    I think the fact that this is in question is hilariously sad. GF has done a very poor job of steadily polishing their games. In some ways it feels like they don't take the time to think anything through; they are just throwing ideas out and so when something doesn't pan out in one gen, they ditch it for something else. That's not to say that they do that with all features, but I think they milk stuff because they can and then as a fan base, there is no general outcry that things get shuffled around each generation for literally no reason. Contests were a perfect example, I thought those were an amazing non-combat addition, but they were gone in Gen IV and no one batted an eye lash. Nothing replaced it either, it was just not part of the game at all, ha ha. I don't get why you wouldn't polish up features and continue to build on your games, instead of throwing in some new quirk every gen and calling it region exclusive. That's my bitter side showing though.

Amie will be around to stay. It is way too "Nintendogs" to ever go away. Here's hoping they polish it up a bit, but at the very least, it does give that sensation of being able to bond with your Pokemon. So I don't think it will get axed.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I highly welcome Pokemon Amie in making a return whether it be improved or be the same ol' system.

As for Super Training, this got many complaints from players who saw this as the other broken aspect of Gen 6 other than the ridiculous EXP Share. I used to be highly positive with Super Training until i realized that by doing it a lot, it made playing the in-game story so easy when you EV train your mon so well that you are able to take on content in lower base levels than usual, since mons from in-game NPCs usually never had EVs, thus you had that very unfair advantage.

I feel that if Super training ever makes a return, there might be some significant changes such as when can you Super Train your mon, and the number of times you can conduct Super Training per Day based on the 3DS time. I'd like to see something like a level requirement range to when a mon can undergo Super Training and something like that. I remember playing Y where i just super trained even during the early game and ROFL stomped most of the content.

Then again, Super Training was fun and it provided a nice alternative to things players could do other than walk around, check bushes, battle trainers, and ransack their poor pockets.

Minun172

Still waiting for a new Mega Man game.
    Years
  • I think ST would be replaced with something else and Amie would be improved upon like being able to do more things with them as well as special actions with them like tickling them, hugging them, or playing with two Pokemon at the same time and having both of them talk to each other (and you can tag along) as well as being more dynamic. At least that's what I want... A

POKEMON COMPANY, PLEASE MAKE AMIE AN APP ON THE PHONE. SELECT ANY POKEMON, TRANSFER ONE FROM YOUR 3DS, BUY FROM PET STORE WITH FICTIONAL MONEY AND BE ABLE TO TAKE CARE OF THEM THE SAME WAY AS YOU DO IN THE 3DS BUT MORE OPTIONS. WAY MORE OPTIONS. PLEASE. THIS IS AN AMAZING IDEA AS A FAN OF CUTE POKEMON.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Since every generation has its own generation-specific features, I wouldn't be too surprised if Pokémon Amie and Super Training didn't end up getting carried over to Sun & Moon, provided Sun & Moon are indeed a new generation. I think Affection will still be a feature, but they may find a new way for you to increase it in lieu of Pokémon Amie--maybe something similar to Amie, perhaps they'll bring back following Pokémon, or maybe there will be some place that allows you to interact with your Pokémon in the overworld, for example. I'd like all of those much better than Pokémon Amie, but at the same time, I wouldn't mind Amie coming back either.

Same with Super Training, maybe they'll introduce a new mini-game that allows us to EV train our Pokémon.

As for Super Training, this got many complaints from players who saw this as the other broken aspect of Gen 6 other than the ridiculous EXP Share.

Wait, this is the first time I'm hearing about this. If this is true then Super Training definitely won't reappear. Any source on this?

Years
  • It's true. If Pokemon Amie does get removed I'm sure they'll make a change to Eevee's evolution method for Sylveon given Amie is currently needed to evolve it.

Back