• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen The feeling of anxiety when on the way to Fuchsia in RBY!

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2016
    When playing Pokemon, I'm always in it for the adventure and storyline. To watch your Pokemon grow as the story progresses. The region is the playground of opportunities and twists. But there are millions of ways to play the game to enhance your personal game experience.

However, everything always comes to an end. And that's the feeling I get when I'd dealt with the rockets, exiting the Silph Co. building, and now find my way on the route to Fuchsia. The feeling I get is "I don't want this to be over soon!". But the fact is, the adventure is starting to reach it's final destination. Fuchsia and Cinnabar, and that's it. No more towns is there to explore.

I think that's a shame. It's like, when RBY REALLY started to get that exciting push forward, it abruptly ends right in our face. Cinnabar and Fuchsia is great and all. But. There should of been more to it. It shouldn't have ended there. Am I the only one to think about it that way?

RBY is a short game. The routes are long, and there are many caves and places to explore. But there are much more "delayers" in GSC, like Sprout Tower, Kimono Dance House, Dragon's Den, Lighthouse, Underground in Goldenrod and much much more. They extend the story further and gives us a lot more content to the game. RBY had more of a primitive coding with very static events. I'm fine with that, but it could of been more. The game is absolutely fantastic and gives you that incredible atmosphere.

Come on guys, give me your thoughts about this! Isn't Kanto a great region that come out as a little bit too short?

Last edited:
    To me the apex in terms of longevity was and will most likely always will be Platinum. But that's less due with extra things to do and more so the level curve (granted there were events, like darkrai's and arceus's azure flute if you had AR). GSC was good at immersing you into the world. And there were as you said plenty of to waste your time on.

In example I spent a while saving and reloading to catch the red gyarados in GSC. Not because it'd improve my team (it wouldn't have) but because it was an exciting extra event thrown in there.

Kanto to me is probably the lowest point. It is on par with 5th and 3rd gen. In terms of interest. There's not much to do but grind so your quintessential rpg. But it lacks depth. You had the mewtwo event, sure. But that cave wasn't really a challenge and even the boss wasn't until you had to catch him..

All pokemon games _are_ generally good. But I feel your ending question ends with a no. It's average. Like RSE and BW/BW2 it is average. Despite the fact that it started what is a overall classic series in gaming, with good gameplay mechanics with time/reward. It lacks what some of the other games have.

Well, RBY was the first ever handheld RPG Pokemon game(s) to the series so it doesn't surprise me there's less to do than the future gen games. But then again you got Yellow which added a nice feature to it; (Pikachu following you and being able to obtain all 3 starters was a really nice add-on to the game), other than not being able to evolve Pikachu; But it had the same story line as Red and Blue. I had Yellow and Blue so I do feel you on the shortness of the story-line. Once you beat the Elite Four and catch Mewtwo there isn't really anything to do and it's easy to complete the Pokedex in RBY if you can trade; (Mew is an event so it could be a challenge).

Back