• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The few "issues" with X and Y and post game discussions.

murkage

Fairy Key Chain Sweeper
Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2021
    So let me lead off with saying i absolutely love this game. I picked up Y version at midnight and beat the E4 and Champion at about 34 hours. I really took it slow and tried to explore all i could. Plus i found so many cool Pokemon that i would wanna use for online battles and just to have in my collection.

There are a few things though (in my opinion) that sort throw the game off balance if you will.
    WARNING MODERATE SPOILERS INBOUND!

1: The Exp. Share, I honestly think the exp. share should be given as a prize for beating the E4 its that powerful or at least make it work like a normal exp then upgraded post-game. Its awesome for leveling a group of low level pokemon without having to switch back and forth. Having this item so early in the game really takes any sort challenge out of the game for me. My team is only ever 1-2 levels behind my main at any time taking any sort of training out of the game.

2: Scaling, now i honestly think this relates to the exp. share. It feels like the exp. share was buffed last second so someone had to go in and make adjustments to the scaling. At first its a steady pace, then my pokemon start out leveling everything by almost 10! Then all of sudden i go through one cave and they are back to only about 2 under my level. Then late game because there is only a handful of trainers there levels get shot way up. It wasn't until the champion that things actually level out.

3: Post game, I understand that is the biggest pokemon game yet, in terms total 3d models, environments etc. Still i don't think that is an excuse for the lack of content in the end game. Unless they plan on releasing DLC which isn't really nintendo's thing. The Battle Maison is okay i mean its just the battle tower. The friend safari is a cool idea, thought it was gonna be a safari zone you can go in with a friend but its just boxes of grass. The mega stone hunt is pretty cool and the detective quest can eat up 45min. So all that's left is just catching pokemon and online battling which you can do at any point of the game and doesn't really count as post game content.

Just a few of my issues i had, what does everyone else think? Even with these problems i have i still give this game a 9/10

Years
  • I'm gonna have to agree with you on your third point. I really enjoy little post-game hunts, especially like after fire-red and leaf-green. The lack of post game material upset me, but the game's replay value is fairly high in my view, so even if I max out the game I can still play again!

TheMightyShore

Skarmory 4 Life
    Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2020
    These are interesting points. I think I sped through the game, compared to the others. I loved the EXP Share in terms of eliminating boring grinding. I think the beauty of the game's primary locations really distracted me from the sheer amount of exploration lacking in this interation. It was the most focused of the games. It had the fewest new Pokemon and had a fairly linear plot with more hand-outs than fetch quests. It was super fun the whole time, and due to the brevity of the story and the speed at which it can be completed, it felt more like a really good anime than the often boring or convoluted plots of previous Pokemon titles. The Team Flare stuff read as good natured satire of the modern looks based world, while subtly poking fun at the game's newfound focus on beauty as exemplified by the French landscape. I too would like a better end game. Maybe a tower similar to the one in Black 2. I would not count out dlc. One thing I will say is by adding fewer new pokemon they gave me less reason to revisit old locales. This also cuts back on exploring time. Now I guess I have to bide my time til december for Bank so I can finally see all my old pals in 3D.

murkage

Fairy Key Chain Sweeper
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2021
    I'm gonna have to agree with you on your third point. I really enjoy little post-game hunts, especially like after fire-red and leaf-green. The lack of post game material upset me, but the game's replay value is fairly high in my view, so even if I max out the game I can still play again!

Exactly, i will buy X as well so i can do all my battles on Y and do my Nuz challenges and other stuff on X.

One thing that really gnaws at me is when you hear the Gary (Green) is in Kalos. Maybe DLC or just no one has figured out how to spawn the event?

These are interesting points. I think I sped through the game, compared to the others. I loved the EXP Share in terms of eliminating boring grinding. I think the beauty of the game's primary locations really distracted me from the sheer amount of exploration lacking in this interation. It was the most focused of the games. It had the fewest new Pokemon and had a fairly linear plot with more hand-outs than fetch quests. It was super fun the whole time, and due to the brevity of the story and the speed at which it can be completed, it felt more like a really good anime than the often boring or convoluted plots of previous Pokemon titles. The Team Flare stuff read as good natured satire of the modern looks based world, while subtly poking fun at the game's newfound focus on beauty as exemplified by the French landscape. I too would like a better end game. Maybe a tower similar to the one in Black 2. I would not count out dlc. One thing I will say is by adding fewer new pokemon they gave me less reason to revisit old locales. This also cuts back on exploring time. Now I guess I have to bide my time til december for Bank so I can finally see all my old pals in 3D.

Ya the environment makes up for any defects in story for sure.

Last edited:
    Years
  • The most exciting thing I've done post-game so far is finally catch an Eevee and evolve it into a Sylveon (which was at lv 19 and is now 71), and chase Articuno around for more than an hour XD

Years
  • I haven't beaten the game yet, but yeah I heard a bit about the lack of post-game content. Would you say it's better than that of DP and BW at least? I'd imagine it's nowhere near as good as that of BW2 and HGSS.

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
  • The Exp Share was definitely a little... OP. I was there, too, all 10 levels higher and such. As for endgame content, I don't really mind. With the new Super Training, I can finally get back into EV training, and it's much less of a hassle, so I've been breeding a lot. Jumped into it right away.

Besides, there's still a lot for me to explore.

§1

Rocket grunt
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2022
    post game material usually comes out in a sequel.

...pokemon 'Z' anyone?

Years
  • What also irked me is that when I went back to the refleciton cave after I beat the Pokemon League, there was still no Alakazamite >_< Not in the day or night, and he's definitely one of my top 3 Pokemon

Faye Rose~

Resilient
    Years
  • What also irked me is that when I went back to the refleciton cave after I beat the Pokemon League, there was still no Alakazamite >_< Not in the day or night, and he's definitely one of my top 3 Pokemon

You have to have Prof Sycamore upgrade your mega ring and then go there between 8-9pm your time.

OT: yeah I agree that the game could have used more postgame. I also agree the exp share was OP. I mean I just flew through the entire game because it had everything so overlevelled. I had an hm slave absol that went from level 15-56 without fighting a single battle, that's a little absurd imo.

WildEagle

Call me, Your Royal Freshness
    Years
  • I played without the EXP. Share on and the pacing was almost perfect. Not that hard to turn it off people.

^This, exp share is there if you like to have multiple pokemon to use and rotate around. Before it's almost discourage to have more than 6 pokemons because you will grind like hell to get everyone evenly. And think back when you first played Pokemon, your highest level was always your Starter because it's the only thing we used before. When I played Red my Charizard was like level 78 by pokemon league while the rest were 45-50 (mostly 'cause they were newly caught LOL) and got my behind handed in by my rival.

Now that most of us are experience in the game, we don't need our starters to carry us anymore. We know about match type and learned how to fully utilize 6 pokemon team. For kids who bought this game, it gives them a chance to have a balance team along with his/her starter. For us, we don't need to rely on it unless you just want to have a multiple reserve and keep your team on the same level.

Monte Blanc

The White Rabbit
    Years
  • Here's my list of issues with X & Y:

1. Lack of Evolution Stones: Unless I'm missing something, the games only offer a small amount of each evolution stone sans Fire, Water and Leaf. This is particularly irksome for me since it means clinging to the items until I capture/hatch a Pokemon of the appropriate nature. Also, there aren't enough stones to meet the needs. For example, the game offers two Moon Stones...and yet there are six (Correct me if I'm wrong) total evolutions that require a Moon Stone. It just seems very careless on GameFreak to neglect such an obvious issue for gamers who want to complete the PokeDex.
    2. Odd Movesets for Kalos Pokemon: We seem to have, once again, suffered from negligent movesets. Chesnaught, for instance, doesn't learn a single Fighting-Type move through level-up...but learns Spiky Shield twice (36 and 75) and also learns Pain Split for some odd reason. There are other instances but I can't recall them at the moment. It just seems like they picked out attacks at random to give the Pokemon.
    3. Absence of key NPCs: Now, I could be wrong about some of these, but Kalos seems to not have any Item Maniacs or Move Tutors besides the obligatory ones!! I have all these Mushrooms and no one to sell them to :/ And not a single Move Tutor can be found that doesn't teach an elemental beam or Legendary-exclusive move.
    4. HEART SCALES: This irks me more than anything. There are almost no Heart Scales in the game and the only way to get more is by showing Tierno a Pokemon with a certain move...but you can only obtain one from him a day...

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2014
    Here's my list of issues with X & Y:

1. Lack of Evolution Stones: Unless I'm missing something, the games only offer a small amount of each evolution stone sans Fire, Water and Leaf. This is particularly irksome for me since it means clinging to the items until I capture/hatch a Pokemon of the appropriate nature. Also, there aren't enough stones to meet the needs. For example, the game offers two Moon Stones...and yet there are six (Correct me if I'm wrong) total evolutions that require a Moon Stone. It just seems very careless on GameFreak to neglect such an obvious issue for gamers who want to complete the PokeDex.
    2. Odd Movesets for Kalos Pokemon: We seem to have, once again, suffered from negligent movesets. Chesnaught, for instance, doesn't learn a single Fighting-Type move through level-up...but learns Spiky Shield twice (36 and 75) and also learns Pain Split for some odd reason. There are other instances but I can't recall them at the moment. It just seems like they picked out attacks at random to give the Pokemon.
    3. Absence of key NPCs: Now, I could be wrong about some of these, but Kalos seems to not have any Item Maniacs or Move Tutors besides the obligatory ones!! I have all these Mushrooms and no one to sell them to :/ And not a single Move Tutor can be found that doesn't teach an elemental beam or Legendary-exclusive move.
    4. HEART SCALES: This irks me more than anything. There are almost no Heart Scales in the game and the only way to get more is by showing Tierno a Pokemon with a certain move...but you can only obtain one from him a day...

You can use the old rod to get a crapton of heartscales from luvdiscs near ambrette town. Also
    You can get stones from super training and what's the point of trading if they give you a lot of evolution stones, you're supposed to use the stones wisely, and trade for the rest of the pokemon you don't have. Also trading is a highly emphasized thing in gen 6 lol

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Move Tutors don't have more than the key moves until a third game/sequel/remake comes out. That's pretty much how it has always been. There really haven't been many options for Move Tutoring anything since Generation 3.

Post Game never appears with the release games either. Those also appear in the next sets. The purpose of the release games are to gauge how the Pokemon effect the battle community through TPC's tournaments. Then they rebalance the move pools with Move tutors and give us more after story content.

As for moves, I don't see the issue with Chesinaught's move pool. My brother's is a wrecking ball with the set it has and it has a few decent fighting moves when he last showed me. I know Greninja has an extremely diverse move pool.

I've got no real issues with any of this as it keeps me occupied.

As for the EXP share. It definitely did not make my game any easier. I'm 5-10 levels over the gyms some times and still they manage to put up some resemblance of a fight so the extra levels really didn't make my game easier.

DamienHelvian

Legendary Lucario Warrior
    Years
  • Here's my list of issues with X & Y:

There are tons of heart scales, use Rock Smash on rocks on the beaches.
    As for Chesnaught's movepool, you've got something wrong.
    It only learns Spiky Shield once, there's two versions. Spike, and Spiky, I presume Spiky is simply the stronger version. Many moves are like that.
    And the lack of fighting moves isn't a problem, as there are MANY fighting type TMs. Although, Chesnaught benefits more from grass type moves anyway.
    The only problem I have, is that he doesn't learn any Drain Moves, and so far I haven't found the TM for Giga Drain.

Anyone else notice that the three secondary types of the starters are 3 of the common Elite 4 types. The three which essentially Rock Paper Scissors each other? Psychic>Fighting>Dark>Psychic.
    The combinations though are kind of stupid....as the main types already overpower the other's main type... It should've been the reverse, sort of like Counter Typing.

murkage

Fairy Key Chain Sweeper
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2021
    Here's my list of issues with X & Y:

I have found at least 2 of each stone besides the one dusk stone i found. I also agree on the moveset. Chespin and Quilladin have a good movepool. Chesnaught however learns too many recoil moves. Also he doesn't seem to have a final grass or fighting move, like Graninja has shuriken.

DamienHelvian

Legendary Lucario Warrior
    Years
  • I have found at least 2 of each stone besides the one dusk stone i found. I also agree on the moveset. Chespin and Quilladin have a good movepool. Chesnaught however learns too many recoil moves. Also he doesn't seem to have a final grass or fighting move, like Graninja has shuriken.

I think you mean a Signature Move, which I believe is Spiky Shield.
    Also, Chesnaught learns Hammer Arm through level up, which is a fighting move.
    So to the original post we were talking about, it does learn one.

Back