• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"The first generation was much cooler than the new ones!"

What was the coolest generation?(Multiple Choice)

• Generation I

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Generation II

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Generation III

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Generation IV

Votes: 10 31.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Just to point out, I'm trying not to argue with opinions here.

What made it worse? Getting rid of the original voice actors and replacing them with cr@p is a good start.
    First of all, that happened towards the very end of the Advanced generation. Second of all, this was only in the dub. Lastly, this is not even Hoenn's fault. 4Kid's contract to dub the anime had expired, and PUSA took over once the Battle Frontier started. The old voice actors were bounded to 4Kids by contract. What if the contract was shorter and expired during Johto, would that make it suck?

I dont see hows that different then DP. You also had the first pokemon that had to evoleve at night (umbreon). There were pokemon like gastly, haunter, Murkrow ,and hondour that could only be caught at night. The day/night system was used as good as it could of been on a gameboy color. It wasnt going to get better then that.
    The difference is that DPP retained most of the daytime Pokemon at night. You see different Pokemon in every location at night too. GSC had absolutely no variety. The person who thought of throwing the same Pokemon everywhere really should have thought twice.

I don't mean to be offensive. Well...I don't want to bring age into this but you are 14 now. when these games and gen 2 were released 10 years ago you were 4, I was 10. While I was trading pkm across a link cable and finding ways to get celebi and mew, you were learning how to go to the bathroom on your own. haha jk. Its easy to play these games now and say they aren't perfect but at the time that was hand held gaming at its best.
    Actually, I was 5 when GS came out, and I could read. >:I It's not like the second gen only lasted a year either. I was almost 9 when RSE came out. GSC could have been better, I admit that we only know that now. The only thing we had to look back upon during Gen 2 was RBY, so of course it seemed perfect (Don't get me wrong, I love these games!). Anyways, now we know that so many things could have been handled better.

I Agree but to keep to games interesting you dont need to just add new pkm. why not change it up a bit like trying a new battle system, or how bout something else instead of the " get 8 gym badges and defeat the elite four" recipe thats been used in every game. If they continue with same reused material i don't really see it lasting much longer.
    You do realize that there is a whole generation of 1-3 year-olds that have yet to indulge in "the wonderful" world of Pokemon, right? GF knows this, which is why they decide to recycle their target audience rather than try too hard to keep older fans. You and I have lived and played through all the generations (Which most people haven't done), and GF has certainly tried to keep us tuned in, but it's a fact that they are more focused on both the younger and newer members of the franchise.I mean, Pokemon is the second-best selling video game franchise and one of the best selling multimedia franchises on the planet, it's not going to end soon. Basically, there will always be a new generation for for GF to market too, so they really don't have to change anything (Even though it would be nice!) to make millions.

So a bush thing called shaymin and a neopet called jirachi isn't useless?
    Define "useless", because these two are certainly not useless on the battlefield.

I was saying how people use that as a reason to bash the first two gens. I have never said the graphics suck. Can you find where I said that? I said the games just all around stunk. There was a lot of hype around them being the first pkm gba games and it failed to live up to it. Where RBY came out of nowhere with no hype. When GS came people were expecting another good game and it delivered.
    I agree with matmann on this.

Hoen wasn't a decent region. It was a very bland, uninspired region, with nothing really memorable. If Kanto and Johto were bad regions then i guess they wouldnt have remade RB and GS. It must be good if people want to replay them.
    What are you talking about? It's the most inspired and interesting of the four! The Hoenn region boasted so many dramatic environments like rainforests and deserts. There was a deep vast ocean for exploring filled with chains of islands. It had mountainous areas, a forest covered in soot, an abandoned ship and even a city in a volcano! There was a town of tree houses for heaven's sake! All Kanto and Johto had were, correct me if I'm wrong, plains, rivers, a lake, and caves.

No your saying that because you weren't old enough to enjoy it and appreciate when it was made. If it wasn't for those Gens being so successful the "great" RSE and this site probably would have never existed and pikachu would be in cartoon hell.
    But GSC didn't even have a lot to live up to, It could have sucked and still sold well, making your statement null and void. D:

Last edited:

mattman324

Run to the hills, run for your lives!
    Years
  • The difference is that DPP retained most of the daytime Pokemon at night. You see different Pokemon in every location at night too. GSC had absolutely no variety. The person who thought of throwing the same Pokemon everywhere really should have thought twice.

Why don't we, just for fun, look at all the pokemon avalible only at night/morning:

Ledyba, Spinarak, Zubat (out of caves), Hoothoot, Gastly (in 2 locations, both towers), Meowth (iirc), Stantler (iirc), Smeargle, most Dark types (in Kanto/Ice Cave.), Misdreavus (in SILVER FREAKING CAVE!)

Huh. Out of those, I'd only want to get up at a certain time for Gastly and possibly Houndour, if it didn't come so late. But Zubat was obtainable in caves very easily, Hoothoot, Spinarak, Ledyba, Sneasel, Murkrow, Smeargle, and Misdreavus sucked, Meowth was only meh, and Stantler... I'm sorry, but although it is awesome, who uses it? It's so forgetable...

Define "useless", because these two are certainly not useless on the battlefield.

As in he doesn't like him. I bet 10 dollers that if he battled competitively, he'd be one of the "Jirachi is Uber! Flinchhax suckz!" people, and one of them who origianally banned Shaymin-S for that reason. (Although an 80% chance to halve special defense is to much, I admit)

I agree with matmann on this.

Thanks. :) It's nice to know that I'm NOT going completely insane and arguing against an army of brick walls.

What are you talking about? It's the most inspired and interesting of the four! The Hoenn region boasted so many dramatic environments like rainforests and deserts. There was a deep vast ocean for exploring filled with chains of islands. It had mountainous areas, a forest covered in soot, an abandoned ship and even a city in a volcano! There was a town of tree houses for heaven's sake! All Kanto and Johto had were, correct me if I'm wrong, plains, rivers, a lake, and caves.

And ruins, but the ruins of Alph sucked. You don't dedicate 1 building to Un-own when you can do it DPPt style and stick them all in different chambers, or FrLg style and just create multiple chambers (although they should have given more hints as to the Unown types in that game, but meh.

radioactiveman

Up And Atom!
    Years
  • Seriously, when did a game ever live up to hype? Halo 3? No. SSBB? No. Any of the final fantasy games? No. GSC? No. RSE? No.
    Final Fantasy 7? Back in 1997, it was really hyped. There were commercials, ads, hell even billboards...and what happened to it? It went on to become one of the best games ever. Same with Zelda Orcarina of time. It was really hyped because it was the first zelda game to use 3d graphics. And did that live up to the hype? ah yeah! Its still ranks in the top 5 in polls about the best game of all time. Super Mario 3 for NES? But of course you don't remember that...

That's not funny in the slightest. I was a kid without the ability to look up AM or PM, was in the rush for deleting my first file (because n00bs with Pidgeots have no way of defeating Jasmine.), and was to stuborn to ask.
    Yes it is because it was very simple. The very first thing game asked you is what was the time, and is it day or night. Not to hard to figure out.

No, they didn't. But they didn't need a stork (sereously, look at the RBY sprite) on fire that does nothing.
    Yes they did because kids liked that. If you asked them which one they would like to have just based of looks, 98% would pick a stork on fire. And of course that's how it looks! it was made in 96 for Game boy, not 2007 for DS! Just imagine how shaymin would look. It would be a furry blob.

No, it means that Nintendo are a bunch of money hogs. And that they will eventually remake RSE as well. And you KNOW people will buy it, because, well, HOENN WASN'T THAT BAD!
    Yes they are money hogs, and what better way to make more money then to remake the classic games that made them millions, plus give pkm fans what they have been begging for for years. It took nearly 10 year for GS to be remade since it was made in 2000. RSE isnt a classic. 3 years from now they will not remake it. I can guarantee you. What would be the point? graphics aren't that bad, not really any major bugs, so why do it?

So at least you can see sense. Not much, but some.
    I think its the opposite.

I can say the same for Super Mario bros: but that doesn't stop Galaxy from being good. And I DID enjoy it. Very well.
    You know why? Because instead of continuing with making a 2D platform side scroller in the main series, Nintendo changed it up and made games like Mario 64, Galaxy and Sunshine and kept it fresh. They could of easily made the same style of game since SMB every year, but it would not be anywhere as popular today as it is. People would get tired of it.

But if you REALLY want to continue, I've gotten the word from someone who has been playing for about 11 years now. And he agrees. As a matter of fact, he's right here. And you should read that page, it's kind of interesting (Note that it's a bit old. As in, made in 2007 old)
    1. the link is broken.
    2. I read Thru some of it and laughed, because I can Guarantee you he was not saying, or thinking these things during the time these games were first released. He was playing it and enjoing it just like everyone else at the time.
    3. He does bring up good points about the flaws, but were those really big flaws at the time? Did anybody know or care? Nothing is flawless.
    3. Btw, I wouldn't use this guy as support, especially since he bashes RSE and DP pretty bad.
    4. I just noticed you are just copying what this guy said and using it in you arguments

First of all, that happened towards the very end of the Advanced generation. Second of all, this was only in the dub. Lastly, this is not even Hoenn's fault. 4Kid's contract to dub the anime had expired, and PUSA took over once the Battle Frontier started. The old voice actors were bounded to 4Kids by contract. What if the contract was shorter and expired during Johto, would that make it suck?
    You are right. But what exactly did Gen 3 do to make the anime better? Nothing. It was pretty much the same as all the other 200+ episodes, except adding 2 new characters and adding contests and continued watering down the script. It did nothing to keep people interested while Yugioh was hitting America, and becoming the next big thing.

The difference is that DPP retained most of the daytime Pokemon at night. You see different Pokemon in every location at night too. GSC had absolutely no variety. The person who thought of throwing the same Pokemon everywhere really should have thought twice.
    Of course it didn't have a lot of Variety, but how could it if there was 251 at the time it was made instead of 493 like DPP has. Also the night/day thing was a new idea, not based off a previous pkm game.

Actually, I was 5 when GS came out, and I could read
    Wow I was barley in kindergarten at that age,and barley could read the word dog. I bet you understood what the pkm where doing in the day care too. At 10 I though eggs were randomly made. It wasnt till the 6 grade i found out how babies were made. Ill admit I was freaked out when I knew how my machamp and hypno made an egg. lol
    Define "useless", because these two are certainly not useless on the battlefield
    Well is there a need for them when you got mew, celibi,etc? The creators could of easily gave great stats to a bidoof and made it a legendary.

Haha most inspired? Well your right it was inspired by the first and second generation. And just cause it had it didnt mean it was made interesting. when i went to the volcano city i didnt say "wow". I said "really I was waiting this long for RS and they still couldn't make a city bigger for the gba"?
    But GSC didn't even have a lot to live up to, It could have sucked and still sold well, making your statement null and void. D:
    Didnt have alot to live up to!? RBY held the world record for best selling rpg for gamboy and best selling rpg ever. It had to be better then a game that single handily helped make gameboy social gaming device. It had a ton to live up too. It made trading & battling even better. It made finding ways to make pkm thru breeding If it sucked then pkm would of died off 10 years ago and RSE wouldnt have been made.

Huh. Out of those, I'd only want to get up at a certain time for Gastly and possibly Houndour, if it didn't come so late
    I though it was trash and usless ?

Huh. Out of those, I'd only want to get up at a certain time for Gastly and possibly Houndour, if it didn't come so late. But Zubat was obtainable in caves very easily, Hoothoot, Spinarak, Ledyba, Sneasel, Murkrow, Smeargle, and Misdreavus sucked, Meowth was only meh, and Stantler... I'm sorry, but although it is awesome, who uses it? It's so forgetable...
    At the time it wasnt forgettable, it was cool and different and a new idea, instead of the standard "'going to the area and finding it", you had to play at a certain time.

As in he doesn't like him. I bet 10 dollers that if he battled competitively, he'd be one of the "Jirachi is Uber! Flinchhax suckz!" people, and one of them who origianally banned Shaymin-S for that reason. (Although an 80% chance to halve special defense is to much, I admit)
    Well you would loose you 10 dollars. The creators could of put great stats on anything and called it legendary. I guess they chose to put it on a chia pet and neo pet. and yes i dont like them. Why make even more really strong pkm. why not just stick to one per gen and keep something that looks cool like darkai and make him the only event legendary.

Thanks. :) It's nice to know that I'm NOT going completely insane and arguing against an army of brick walls.
    Apparently I am, because the only reason I have heard that Gen 3 & 4 are better then 1&2 is because the "RBY GSC graphics are old and its flawed".

And ruins, but the ruins of Alph sucked. You don't dedicate 1 building to Un-own when you can do it DPPt style and stick them all in different chambers, or FrLg style and just create multiple chambers (although they should have given more hints as to the Unown types in that game, but meh.
    Nah it didnt. it was the first to use puzzles and made you really have to use your head. How did I know I Was supposed to use flash to unlock the chamber or have a waterstone in the first slot in my bag.

Last edited:

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • the first generation will always be my favorite because they are the ones that i played first. but i like the rest of them to each has things that make them good.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    They only say that because of nostalgia. Believe it or not, there are still people complaining that the oringinal red was better than FR, even though it was outclassed in every department.
    Graphics, EV system, music, available pokemon, and things to do after the E4.
    Generation 2 was okay, but Kanto was just stupid. Everything good was taken out, and everything else was intact. Am I the only one who would prefer a whole new region over butchered Kanto?
    Generation 3 was superior in every way, but it just had to go into the saving the world business. Gee, every other RPG never did that before.
    And Generation 4 was just awesomesauce(not as much D/P as P). Most of the region wasn't water, the new pokemon were unique, they actually have a lot of sidequests, and Wi-fi.
    Seriously, that made the whole game so much more interesting. But yeah, they failed in the music department apart from a few tracks *cough*spearpillar*cough*, but it was the best in terms of features.

1st. Gen 3. (All you haters: Solrock, Lunatone, Castform, and Shedinja. You auto lose.)
    A pokemon that well endowed is not cool. I don't see how anything with reproductive organs half of their size is.

Apparently I am, because the only reason I have heard that Gen 3 & 4 are better then 1&2 is because the "RBY GSC graphics are old and its flawed".
    Crappy EV system, unoriginal pokemon, blatantly overpowered psychics in gen 1, annoying bugs(ghosts actually couldn't effect psychics in gen 1), originality brought to the table(although pacifidlog, fortree, and lavaridge were tiny, boring cities), beeps instead of real music, and the complete shallow pool of pokemon. 151 may sound like a lot, but Gengar was the only good ghost type, followed by Dragonite.

Last edited:
    Years
  • You are right. But what exactly did Gen 3 do to make the anime better? Nothing. It was pretty much the same as all the other 200+ episodes, except adding 2 new characters and adding contests and continued watering down the script. It did nothing to keep people interested while Yugioh was hitting America, and becoming the next big thing.
    Gen 3 did add action and had less fillers, but that's not my point. The Hoenn anime was not any worse than the Johto anime. First you stated that the anime got worse which is why you stopped watching, now you're accusing it of sucking because it's still the same thing.

Of course it didn't have a lot of Variety, but how could it if there was 251 at the time it was made instead of 493 like DPP has. Also the night/day thing was a new idea, not based off a previous pkm game.
    This is no excuse. What on earth compelled them to throw Houndour and Murkrow only in Kanto after the E4?

Wow I was barley in kindergarten at that age,and barley could read the word dog. I bet you understood what the pkm where doing in the day care too. At 10 I though eggs were randomly made. It wasnt till the 6 grade i found out how babies were made. Ill admit I was freaked out when I knew how my machamp and hypno made an egg. lol
    I never used the daycare after I discovered I didn't have enough money to get my Pokemon back out. -_-;

Well is there a need for them when you got mew, celibi,etc? The creators could of easily gave great stats to a bidoof and made it a legendary.
    Well, this is all opinion. I personally am one who believes More Pokemon=More Variety=More Interesting Battles.

Haha most inspired? Well your right it was inspired by the first and second generation. And just cause it had it didnt mean it was made interesting. when i went to the volcano city i didnt say "wow". I said "really I was waiting this long for RS and they still couldn't make a city bigger for the gba"?
    Differences in opinion I suppose. When I came across this route I was breath-taken.

Didnt have alot to live up to!? RBY held the world record for best selling rpg for gamboy and best selling rpg ever. It had to be better then a game that single handily helped make gameboy social gaming device. It had a ton to live up too. It made trading & battling even better. It made finding ways to make pkm thru breeding If it sucked then pkm would of died off 10 years ago and RSE wouldnt have been made.
    This is not true in the slightest. Look at the Sonic franchise. All of his games are absolute fail now yet they still create more. Why? The original was so good it made him an iconic character in pop culture which is why his games still continue to sell well. GSC is no different. GSC could have been a utterly terrible game, but would have still sold since "Pokemon" was slapped across the boxart, a name that was famous thanks to RGBY. GF would have continued to make RSE either way. What I meant by "Didn't have a lot to live up to." was that it didn't have to be that good to sell well.

How else are we suppose to describe its shortcomings? What do you want us to say, "GSC is perfect except for these few things"? >.>

Nah it didnt. it was the first to use puzzles and made you really have to use your head. How did I know I Was supposed to use flash to unlock the chamber or have a waterstone in the first slot in my bag.
    lrn2braille

I did like the Ruins of Alph though. They actually are the most interesting set of ruins IMO.

Last edited:

radioactiveman

Up And Atom!
    Years
  • They only say that because of nostalgia
    No they don't, they say it cause its the truth. And enough of the nostalgia thing.Thats not what its about. Its about creativity. When I talk about generations I mean everything (pokemon, anime, TCG) during that Gen, not just games. Gen 1 was creative. It is what started it all. It made pikachu a household name. It had a great anime, movies that made it big in the box office, The most popular trading cards, and great, simple, addicting, rpg's that people can understand and play while not being totally confused. Gen 2 continued it by doing stuff in GSC no other game at the time had, It continued with the great and popular tcg, and still made some very popular movies that made a lot of money. Gen 3 didn't have a lot of creativity. There was no big breakthroughs in the games that set it aside from other gba games, the movies weren't very popular and weren't shown in theaters( at least in most places in America), the tcg was loosing some steam with yugioh getting popular. Lets face it, they just kind of halfa**ed it. Gen 4 was ok. It brought back some good features, made some new evolutions of the old pkm.

Crappy EV system, unoriginal pokemon, blatantly overpowered psychics in gen 1, annoying bugs(ghosts actually couldn't effect psychics in gen 1), originality brought to the table(although pacifidlog, fortree, and lavaridge were tiny, boring cities), beeps instead of real music, and the complete shallow pool of pokemon. 151 may sound like a lot, but Gengar was the only good ghost type, followed by Dragonite.
    Sigh... should I even respond to this. o well
    1. Do you realize that those were the first games created in 1996 right? Do you know what was going on in the world then? There was no DS, Ipod, ps3, iphone, no real good computer let alone internet, Instead there were Big grey gameboy's, CD player walkman, super Nintendo (eventually ps1 & n64), pagers, and windows 95.
    2. Please explain to me how RSE is original. Was it the first pkm games? Why were the first 150 gen pokemon included? just by reading your comment, I can tell you just recently got into pkm...

Gen 3 did add action and had less fillers, but that's not my point. The Hoenn anime was not any worse than the Johto anime. First you stated that the anime got worse which is why you stopped watching, now you're accusing it of sucking because it's still the same thing.
    True about the johto anime, but gen 3 was still stale and repetitive, and continued on a downward decline to the point it wasnt shown on weekdays then, eventually Saturday mornings. I don't even think it gives new episodes on TV anymore ( at least in America).I know it was on cartoon network a while ago, but it seems no one really cares for it.
    This is no excuse. What on earth compelled them to throw Houndour and Murkrow only in Kanto after the E4?
    The same reason they made us wait 1 year for pkm Colosseum to get the rest of the missing 186 pkm on RS (and they still werent all available). There was seriously no way to get them except with action replay.

Well, this is all opinion. I personally am one who believes More Pokemon=More Variety=More Interesting Battles
    OK I can respect that, but was it really necessary to have 3 event pkm for DPP alone.

This is not true in the slightest. Look at the Sonic franchise. All of his games are absolute fail now yet they still create more. Why? The original was so good it made him an iconic character in pop culture which is why his games still continue to sell well. GSC is no different. GSC could have been a utterly terrible game, but would have still sold since "Pokemon" was slapped across the boxart, a name that was famous thanks to RGBY. GF would have continued to make RSE either way. What I meant by "Didn't have a lot to live up to." was that it didn't have to be that good to sell well.
    You took the words out of my mouth. Would RSE sold well if it didnt have pkm slapped across? heck what about puzzle league, dash, channel,mystery dungeon? No they probaly wouldnt, because people would "say this games stink". RBY helped make a monster raising style rpg fun, there was even other games like dragonwarrior monsters, digimon that used the idea.

How else are we suppose to describe its shortcomings? What do you want us to say, "GSC is perfect except for these few things"? >.>
    The same way I described RSE short comings: To sum it up, Gen 3 wasn't a fresh, creative, inspired generation. Once again I am talking about the whole generation (pkm, anime, games, tcg) not just games.

lrn2braille
    That wouldnt help. The wall in the ruins simply said, water. That could mean anything. I didn't know I was supposed to have a waterstone in my bag.lol

Last edited:
    Years
  • No they don't, they say it cause its the truth. And enough of the nostalgia thing.Thats not what its about. Its about creativity. When I talk about generations I mean everything (pokemon, anime, TCG) during that Gen, not just games. Gen 1 was creative. It is what started it all. It made pikachu a household name. It had a great anime, movies that made it big in the box office, The most popular trading cards, and great, simple, addicting, rpg's that people can understand and play while not being totally confused. Gen 2 continued it by doing stuff in GSC no other game at the time had, It continued with the great and popular tcg, and still made some very popular movies that made a lot of money. Gen 3 didn't have a lot of creativity. There was no big breakthroughs in the games that set it aside from other gba games, the movies weren't very popular and weren't shown in theaters( at least in most places in America), the tcg was loosing some steam with yugioh getting popular. Lets face it, they just kind of halfa**ed it. Gen 4 was ok. It brought back some good features, made some new evolutions of the old pkm.

Many people who insist on nothing else but the classic games are have opinions at least somewhat influenced by nostalgia.Why else would someone say that RBY is superior to FRLG?

So many of the franchise's "older, superior fans" seem to have picked now to start mixing up their own feelings for the franchise with how the franchise is actually doing. Fans years beyond the franchise's target audience are coming to the conclusion that because they don't like a few of the character designs (usually for poor reasons) and because the core of the games hasn't changed a whole ton in the last decade, then the only obvious conclusion is that the franchise has somehow changed in quality, and there's no chance that it might be them who might have just changed, grown, and gotten, and have gotten tired of each game being the same.

The same reason they made us wait 1 year for pkm Colosseum to get the rest of the missing 186 pkm on RS (and they still werent all available). There was seriously no way to get them except with action replay.
    This makes no sense. Murkrow and Houndour were practically absent from the gen they debuted in. GSC Pokemon have nothing to do with Hoenn.

You took the words out of my mouth. Would RSE sold well if it didnt have pkm slapped across? heck what about puzzle league, dash, channel,mystery dungeon? No they probaly wouldnt, because people would "say this games stink". RBY helped make a monster raising style rpg fun, there was even other games like dragonwarrior monsters, digimon that used the idea.
    I'm not saying that the older games were bad, they were great, but RSE would have been released if GSC wasn't great.

The same way I described RSE short comings: To sum it up, Gen 3 wasn't a fresh, creative, inspired generation. Once again I am talking about the whole generation (pkm, anime, games, tcg) not just games.
    Wouldn't you consider those flaws though?

That wouldnt help. The wall in the ruins simply said, water. That could mean anything. I didn't know I was supposed to have a waterstone in my bag.lol
    I don't believe there even was a ruin that had anything to do with waters tones. :/

Last edited:

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • In my opinion I think the coolest generation is Gen IV.
    I really like it's crisp ad good quality anime compared to the first generation's one.
    I don't really like Gen III or Gen I but I don't mind Gen II.

mattman324

Run to the hills, run for your lives!
    Years
  • That wouldnt help. The wall in the ruins simply said, water. That could mean anything. I didn't know I was supposed to have a waterstone in my bag.lol

Oh, you got me there. Yep, a bad puzzle from Crystal makes the third generation bad, I'm sorry I argued.

Final Fantasy 7? Back in 1997, it was really hyped. There were commercials, ads, hell even billboards...and what happened to it? It went on to become one of the best games ever. Same with Zelda Orcarina of time. It was really hyped because it was the first zelda game to use 3d graphics. And did that live up to the hype? ah yeah! Its still ranks in the top 5 in polls about the best game of all time. Super Mario 3 for NES? But of course you don't remember that...

It's still overhyped. Is it a good game? Yeah, but it certainly isn't the BEST GAME EVAR OMGWTFBBQ!

Yes they did because kids liked that. If you asked them which one they would like to have just based of looks, 98% would pick a stork on fire. And of course that's how it looks! it was made in 96 for Game boy, not 2007 for DS! Just imagine how shaymin would look. It would be a furry blob.

So that's the reason why most n00bs think CHARIZARD IZ CUL BLASTOSE ADN VENSAUR IS DUM! Because Charizard is the worst of the three, and it always has been.

Yes they are money hogs, and what better way to make more money then to remake the classic games that made them millions, plus give pkm fans what they have been begging for for years. It took nearly 10 year for GS to be remade since it was made in 2000. RSE isnt a classic. 3 years from now they will not remake it. I can guarantee you. What would be the point? graphics aren't that bad, not really any major bugs, so why do it?

In a few years, it will be. Oh, and since Nintendo is pushing the DS-i, and there's no GBA port there, it will be obselite.

Which, by the way, is one of the reasons besides money-mongering that GSC was remade (and to an extent, RBY)

You know why? Because instead of continuing with making a 2D platform side scroller in the main series, Nintendo changed it up and made games like Mario 64, Galaxy and Sunshine and kept it fresh. They could of easily made the same style of game since SMB every year, but it would not be anywhere as popular today as it is. People would get tired of it.

Oh, like the anime around the midpoint of Johto? Cause really, it was getting old at that point.

2. I read Thru some of it and laughed, because I can Guarantee you he was not saying, or thinking these things during the time these games were first released. He was playing it and enjoing it just like everyone else at the time.

Did you read the rest of the stuff, in any chance? No? Cause you would have noticed the individual pokemon rants, and those were 11 months after DP came out. Oh, and I notice that you were talking about him enjoying it: so he couldn't do that with RSE? Or DP, which he SPECIFICALLY SAID the one thing wrong about it? (Contests were handled poorly)

3. He does bring up good points about the flaws, but were those really big flaws at the time? Did anybody know or care? Nothing is flawless.

And yet you brush aside our mentions of the flaws of GSC.

You are right. But what exactly did Gen 3 do to make the anime better? Nothing. It was pretty much the same as all the other 200+ episodes, except adding 2 new characters and adding contests and continued watering down the script. It did nothing to keep people interested while Yugioh was hitting America, and becoming the next big thing.

What did Gen2 do? Or the Orange islands? (besides Tracey, who was handled poorly) Or even Kanto, for that matter?

They still could have done more. IE, in GS, the first Dark type (Not counting Umbreon, because there were better eeveelutions, and not many would have figured it out without dumb luck) was partway through Kanto. Now, in Crystal, Sneasel was put in Ice Path, so it DID help, but they still could have done better.

But did they? ...no, instead they gave it to others.

Yet I was in kindergarden, and could read the Prima guide front to back... for fun. (Although that guide was FLAWED! Fly was a great attack, if flying types didn't have fly they sucked, Fearow was worse than Pidgeot, and Normal didn't have STAB according to it.)

WHAT? WHAT? Did... you just say that the cities in Hoenn could have been bigger? Mawvile, MAWVILE was as big as Goldenrod and Celedon!

And yet a bad game can nearly kill a franchise. Do you know how much of a flop Sonic 06 was? If it wasn't for the fact that the vastly superior Secret Rings came out just afterwards, the Sonic series might be... well, a lot less lively now.

I though it was trash and usless ?

I knew you'd bring this up. Competitive value/usefulness =/= design. Gengar could be a Missingno. block, but if it was good at battling, I'd still use it to battle others.

At the time it wasnt forgettable, it was cool and different and a new idea, instead of the standard "'going to the area and finding it", you had to play at a certain time.

Didn't I just bring up this whole "At the time" factor?

Well you would loose you 10 dollars. The creators could of put great stats on anything and called it legendary. I guess they chose to put it on a chia pet and neo pet. and yes i dont like them. Why make even more really strong pkm. why not just stick to one per gen and keep something that looks cool like darkai and make him the only event legendary.

Because they want you to get MORE stuff from them. And going to their events to get the legendaries keeps you hooked on the games.

You weren't. But then, if you knew Braile (or read, in the chambers they had all the letters in) and didn't waste Dig, there was at least a SLIGHT chance of getting at the Regis. Granted, you'd have to know Relicanth exists, and he's pretty rare, but I found him while training Golbat and electric types.

Last edited:

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    No they don't, they say it cause its the truth. And enough of the nostalgia thing.Thats not what its about. Its about creativity.
    Sure, as soon as I realize that poison dart frogs and cicada larva are less creative than poison clouds, puddles of sludge, and ponies set on fire.

When I talk about generations I mean everything (pokemon, anime, TCG) during that Gen, not just games. Gen 1 was creative. It is what started it all. It made pikachu a household name. It had a great anime, movies that made it big in the box office, The most popular trading cards, and great, simple, addicting, rpg's that people can understand and play while not being totally confused.
    Yes, and like many games, that glory doesn't last. When was the last time you heard a kid talk about Pokemon proudly in his school? People back then played it because it was popular, not because they liked it. Same with Yu-gi-oh.

Gen 2 continued it by doing stuff in GSC no other game at the time had, It continued with the great and popular tcg, and still made some very popular movies that made a lot of money.
    That's debatable. I honestly doubt it's the only game that had exclusive features. After all, if it's good, it will keep being used until something else original is made.

Gen 3 didn't have a lot of creativity. There was no big breakthroughs in the games that set it aside from other gba games, the movies weren't very popular and weren't shown in theaters( at least in most places in America), the tcg was loosing some steam with yugioh getting popular.
    RSE had the EV system, and berry mechanics. I'm fairly certain that Final Fantasy 4, 5, or 6 advance didn't have that.
    Popularity doesn't make it bad. I know too many games were wonderful that got constant insults from other players like superman 64.

Gen 4 was ok. It brought back some good features, made some new evolutions of the old pkm.
    Whoa, someone who doesn't call generation 4 the worst but still loves the classics. :O

1. Do you realize that those were the first games created in 1996 right? Do you know what was going on in the world then? There was no DS, Ipod, ps3, iphone, no real good computer let alone internet, Instead there were Big grey gameboy's, CD player walkman, super Nintendo (eventually ps1 & n64), pagers, and windows 95.
    It's their own fault for making it a handheld series in the first place. And I'm just pointing out the facts. I'm pretty sure that EV systems and major bugs weren't limited by the game, unless they were really filled to the brim like GSC.

2. Please explain to me how RSE is original. Was it the first pkm games? Why were the first 150 gen pokemon included? just by reading your comment, I can tell you just recently got into pkm...
    Sorry bro, but I was here since G/S/C. Actually, that was my first game ever as far as I remember. The fact that you thought I was new just because I dissed the earlier generations shows that it is based mainly on nostalgia.

And what makes Pokemon original in the first place? There was monster recruitment in Dragon Quest V&VI, you had the beastmaster class in Final Fantasy V, and there are probably much more that I haven't talked about that came before and after Pokemon. The story was dull, which was common in GB and GBC games, and what did it feature? Let's see. It had routes. It had beaches, towns, cities, caves, a forest, an old mansion, and large headquarters. What RPG doesn't have that? RSE, as small as the land was, had tropical rainforests, deserts, currents(only available in Seafoam otherwise), and abandoned ships. The only thing it lacked was a snowy area, which is pretty easy to know why considering the location of Hoenn in real life.
    Was it the first pkm games?
    Um...what?

So that's the reason why most n00bs think CHARIZARD IZ CUL BLASTOSE ADN VENSAUR IS DUM! Because Charizard is the worst of the three, and it always has been.
    Don't say that about Charizard. You can't forget the flawless moveset of fire blast, flamethrower, fire spin, and ember.

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
    Years
  • I thought GSC was the best gen. I mean, there was the day/night changes, pokemon breeding, PokeGear, new Pokemon! But I actually liked all of them.

Years
  • I personally believe that Generation I and II were the best. However, I do enjoy FR/LG (Generation I remake in Gen III), and I'm really looking forward to playing Heart Gold or Soul Silver (Gen II remake in Gen IV). So I guess I don't really have anything against any generation, but I just prefer the Kanto and Johto regions, I suppose.

Medli

I am Error.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    I got into Pokemon right around the end of Gold and Silver, and I remember waiting for Pokemon Sapphire to come out in 3rd Grade. Still, I appreciated the older games and I even found a copy of Pokemon Yellow in stores and bought it. I also went back to play Pokemon Blue a few months ago, and I thought it was hella fun.

But, yeah. For the most part, I guess the generation you came in on will probably be your favorite. Like, I still love Johto and even Hoenn even though everyone else thinks that it sucks (for good reasons, but I still like Sapphire). If you were here from the beginning, you probably won't mind the older games and simpler gameplay and all the nostalgia and retro awesomeness. If you're new/younger/etc., the nostalgia probably won't appeal to you and all that.

It's all opinion. My favorite generations are the two in the middle (ignoring FR/LG. I could never get into those games), but at the same time, I love going back to play R/B/Y. They're all fun in different ways.

Hovo

We gotta stay together.
    Years
  • Generation II, in my opinion, is simply the best.

My first Pokemon RPG game was Red, though I never really played it much. I REALLY got into Pokemon when Gold version came out and I was simply BLOWN AWAY. Johto was beautiful, especially in the high-tech color gaming system of the time. I spent a LOT of my childhood playing Gold, and eventually spent a LOT more time playing Crystal.

I have an attachment to those games. Nothing can change that. Plus, I don't really find the new generations exciting...

Mow Lawns

Rick James
    Years
    • Ak
    • Seen Feb 1, 2010
    I'm going to have to go with Second gen seeing as I got into pokemon with Gold version. Started out with a totodile and never looked back.

Years
  • And what makes Pokemon original in the first place? There was monster recruitment in Dragon Quest V&VI, you had the beastmaster class in Final Fantasy V, and there are probably much more that I haven't talked about that came before and after Pokemon. The story was dull, which was common in GB and GBC games, and what did it feature? Let's see. It had routes. It had beaches, towns, cities, caves, a forest, an old mansion, and large headquarters. What RPG doesn't have that? RSE, as small as the land was, had tropical rainforests, deserts, currents(only available in Seafoam otherwise), and abandoned ships. The only thing it lacked was a snowy area, which is pretty easy to know why considering the location of Hoenn in real life.
    Does that icy cave by Mossdeep count as a snowy area?

Last edited:

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Does that icy cave by Mossdeep count as a snowy area?
    When I say snowy areas, I'm talking about towns, cities, and routes. If so, the Seafoam islands and ice path would both be a snowy area.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • lol, I find it funny that gen II has the most votes at this moment. But HELLO? Gen II was remade in gen IV! xDD think about that for a minute

I voted Gen III of course, but guess what? I also voted Gen IV.

Years
  • lol, I find it funny that gen II has the most votes at this moment. But HELLO? Gen II was remade in gen IV! xDD think about that for a minute

I voted Gen III of course, but guess what? I also voted Gen IV.
    I think the OP of this thread intended on us discussing all the media in each generation, rather than just the regions and games. We kind of strayed off-topic. :/

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back