• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The First Pokémon you ever saw?

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I enjoy reading through old threads and remaking the good ones so I decided to remake this one.

What was the first Pokémon you ever saw? It could have been in one of the games, the anime, a poster or anything, I guess.

For me, I was around four years old or so, a decade ago, and I have always been an early riser, so I got up at seven in the morning one day. I went downstairs and switched on the television, expecting to see the latest installment in the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime, but it seemed that I was too early. Instead, there was an animated talking cat sounding as if he was filled with remorse as he talked about the city he grew up in. Yes, it was indeed the story where Meowth thinks about all his memories and ends up realising how much he loves Jessie and James. I watched the entire episode and found out it was the Pokémon anime, but I didn't really care as Yu-Gi-Oh! was starting. About a month later, all I cared about was Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh! was a thing of the past.

So what about you guys?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I'm not quite sure what the first I saw was, but I distinctly remember the ones I first knew, if that counts for something.

On Christmas Eve, my cousin got a buttload of Pokemon cards. He gave me four of them, saying "I already have these, so there ya go, kid." And The first one was Eevee, hence my uber love of Eevee + Eeveelutions. The second was Charmander, hence my love of the Fire-type starters, and Fire-type in general. The other two...Pikachu and either Caterpie or Squirtle.

But, basically, from what I remember, the first was Eevee. And yes, I still have that card. That thing is oooooold.

Interesting thread, once again, Oni.

vano-m

2nd year University student
    Years
    in 1999 When before broadcastig 1st season, there was a trailer. I saw it on TV and I can say that first i ve seen were Pikachu and Caterpie!

Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2013
    it was show and tell in like, 1st grade, and a kid showed a nidoking figurine, and i was immediately interested.

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    The first Pokémon I ever saw was probably Pikachu, when I was given Yellow by a friend. :C Before that, I don't think I ever knew Pokémon even existed.

J-Rad

In ur comp h4xing ur interwebz
    Years
    Pikachu, I was flipping channels one day and stumbled upon the pokemon anime, I was like 7 and instantly wanted more. It's kinda ironic cause I hate pikachu...

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I think I remember I saw the Pikachu short from the first movie, and that got me interested. That would make it Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Togepi, I believe. In the games, the first Pokemon I saw was a Totodile somebody started off with on their copy of Silver version. I'm not particularly fond of any of those Pokemon, but I do love Togetic/Togekiss, Wartortle, and Raichu.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    Some kid brought a Machoke card to school... so yep...

(Original, I know)

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    I think it was a Pikachu shaped thing on a cake, this I think saw Pikachu when flipping though the channels before I like Pokemon. I had a shirt with Blastoise and Steelix on it when I was younger. Then I think I saw a yanma when I my cousins were watching it.

Jabunks

Currently Inactive
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2010
    I think I saw the anime, It was Pickachu, naturally...

.emerald

☆ + ♥
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    pikachu... first highlight & trademark of nintendo!!!!!^_^"!

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 26, 2009
    The first one I ever saw was a card, and it was Geodude. I've always been fond of it and its evolutions since then, so the majority of my teams on my games have a Golem, since it's actually pretty useful in single-player.

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    Pikachu was the first Pokemon I saw. It was on my 5th Birthday's Birthday Cake. :3 It was some random cake and I instantly fell in love with it. There was Charmander on it as well.

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
    This friend of mine gave me 12 of his pokemon cards when I didn't know what they were. The first one I saw was Doduo. That card is in my room still. I can't believe a little card started my 10 year obsession with this series. :-)

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    well I think the anime came before the games over here in Australia, I could be wrong but I watched the anime before playing any games. Anyways, whatever pokemon first appereaed on the first episode

lukeh

Former ROM Hacker
    Years
    One day, my dad, brother, and I all went out to buy our first gameboy colors. When we got in the store there were three games. Red, Blue, and Yellow version. I saw Blastoise and thought he looked cool. So I took that one.

Back