• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Flamestar Chronicles

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
Years
  • So a little fic of mine called Haunting at the Old Chateau got in the way of me writing here, and by the time that finished I was tearing my hair out so much due to school that the whole writing every day thing sort of died. But...here it is. I'm not even going to make a guess as to how many months it will be until the next chapter this time...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Chapter 6~

"My name's Zack," the stranger said. He stood with an air of confidence, a smug look plastered across his face as he stared at Shrike and Rayne with a gaze that suggested he knew more than he let on. "Zachary J. Reilyn if you care about that much. And yours?"

"Shrike," Shrike tersely responded, not letting his guard down. Zack wasn't acting hostile, but stalking people wasn't exactly the friendliest thing to do.

"No last name?" The smile on Zack's face didn't falter once.

"None that you need to know."

"Ah, that type," Zack nodded, still smiling as if he didn't realize how put off both Shrike and Rayne were. The smile was starting to get on both of their nerves, but it didn't seem that it would be letting up any time soon. Turning to Rayne, Zack went on to ask her, "What about you?"

"You're not even getting my first name," Rayne snarled.

"Ah, wise in some ways," Zack remarked. "Ice cold in others. Doesn't matter, I already know. Rayne, right?" Before the girl in question could smash Zack's face in, he quickly went on to explain, "You can hear quite a few things when eavesdropping. Like, that you two both happen to be trainers. Fresh out of an academy from the looks of it, but trainers nonetheless."

"So? What do you care?" Rayne asked, still considering smashing Zack's face in.

"So... I just happen to be a trainer too," Zack smirked. "You see, I was thinking that, perhaps, we could engage in a friendly little battle. To introduce ourselves, before we get to know each other better." Suddenly, a different look came over Zack. His smile finally faltered, just for a moment, his eyes narrowing as they seemed to stare into the very hearts of the two trainers that stood before him. It didn't seem to be Rayne he was focusing on though, but rather Shrike. The boy was slightly unnerved, but just as soon as the change had come over Zack it disappeared, the stranger quietly adding, "One can learn wonders through a good battle."

"No chance," Rayne quickly said. "Matariel would wipe the floor with you anyway. I'll spare you the pain of defeat."

"Bold words," Zack said back in turn. "But unless you care to back them up I am afraid I cannot take them seriously." Turning to focus on Shrike, he went on to say, "Well then, how about you?"

Shrike was hesitant. The sudden shift in Zack's demeanor was proof enough that there was more to him than met the eye, something which anyone with a brain could gather anyway. There was the chance the battle was a trick, but then again, what could be lost? It was just a battle, with regulations preventing any serious harm being done to Pokémon. Yes, criminals didn't necessarily play by the rules, but if Zack was that sort of criminal he likely would have already made his move.

"Sure, I'll play your game," Shrike responded. "Call the rules."

"One on one," Zack declared. "I know you only have two Pokémon, one of which was caught this very morning and is no position to battle. In turn, I will use my starter as well."

"And winnings?"

"That will depend on the outcome, and how good a show you give me. Rest assured though, I won't ask for much."

Shrike already had his hand on Zethro's Poké Ball, backing down the trail to put a good distance between him and his opponent. Pulling the red and white ball off his belt, Shrike expanded it before holding it up into the air. "Come on Zethro, time for another fight!" Shrike yelled as he hurled the Poké Ball to the ground between where he and Zack stood. It was an overly dramatic way to release Pokémon and not one commonly used in serious competition, but Shrike figured playing things up could never hurt.

The Cyndaquil appeared on the ground in a burst of red light as the Poké Ball snapped open, the force throwing the ball back into the air. Quickly Shrike caught the Poké Ball before it could go flying off into the trees, taking granted for the time he had spent playing baseball as a kid. Zethro already seemed to be aware of the situation, his body lowering to the ground the moment he appeared as he adopted a fighting stance. Shrike was glad to note that the injuries Jehiel had inflicted on the Cyndaquil were all but gone, the healing potion having done its job well. "You ready for this?" Shrike asked, not wanting to pressure Zethro into fighting if he didn't feel up to it yet. Shrike's companion barked excitedly in response, which the boy assumed meant Zethro was ready.

"Yes, a Cyndaquil. That's what I thought," Zack nodded as he reached a hand into his pocket. When he pulled the hand back out a Poké Ball came with it, clutched between Zack's fingers. Expanding the ball, he idly tossed it into the air a few times, letting it fall back into his hand. "You'll be glad to know than that, if nothing else, you have a type advantage. Come out, Sceptile!"

Shrike's heart skipped a beat and his optimism immediately fell as he heard Zack say the name. Only a moment later and Zack had opened the ball, releasing the green, almost prehistoric-looking lizard Pokémon on to the now decidedly one-sided battlefield. The Sceptile had its arms crossed as it appeared, looking down at the Cyndaquil that stood before it with a blank expression on its face. Suddenly, a smirk appeared and it let out an odd laugh before croaking something that Shrike naturally couldn't understand. Glancing at Rayne off to the side he could gather that she did, but he didn't expect her to say anything that would tell Zack more than the stranger needed to know.

"Well this isn't exactly fair!" Shrike exclaimed. "From the way you were talking, I thought you were a new trainer as well!"

"I said no such thing," Zack defended himself with. "It was your fault alone you construed my challenge as meaning that."

"I don't suppose I can back out of this?" Shrike grimaced.

"I am afraid there is no turning back now, so prepare yourself! En garde!" Zack yelled before thrusting a finger skywards. "Sceptile, you know the drill. Brighten the skies with Sunny Day!"

Before Shrike could even give Zethro a command Zack had already taken the initiative in the battle. Sceptile grunted as it closed its eyes and focused, a red glow appearing around its body. Shrike thought it was odd that Zack would have his grass type Pokémon use an attack that would only benefit Zethro more, but figured he was perhaps giving the less experienced team a handicap. "Zethro, wait for the effect to come into play, then hit Sceptile hard with a Flame Wheel! We'll grab every advantage we can!" Shrike commanded.

It wasn't long after Shrike gave the order that Sceptile snapped out of the trance it was in, thrusting both arms into the air with palms opened upwards. Fiery red orbs of light shot into the sky similar to Matariel's Rain Dance, but rather than form clouds this time the existing clouds overhead dissipated. Unimpeded, bright sunlight pierced down through the trees and flooded the forest below, the two combatants basking in the sun's warmth. Shrike knew that so long as the Sunny Day effect lasted Zethro's fire-type moves would be strengthened, but he'd have to hurry to get full use out of it. Preparing to use the only fire move he could, the flames on Zethro's back flared up as soon as the light brightened.

What happened next was almost too fast for Shrike to take in. Zethro had no sooner started charging at Sceptile than the orbs on the lizard's back began to glow, rapidly growing brighter. Shrike suddenly realized what was happening, but before he could warn Zethro it was too late. Sceptile swung its arms forward as if trying to stop the oncoming Cyndaquil, but before Zethro could even jump and roll into a ball, Sceptile launched its own attack. A beam of bright, white-green light suddenly poured out of Sceptile's hands, the light seeming to stream from the orbs on its back. The beam hit Zethro head on, the force of the blast enough to pick the Cyndaquil up off the ground and send him flying back through the air, pushed along by the beam. Shrike cried out as the beam and Zethro blew past him and continued straight on down the trail, the light only fading after it had sent Zethro flying through the air for several seconds. Shrike watched as his Pokémon fell to the ground and rolled along some, the boy quickly taking off in a sprint to see if he was all right.

Before Shrike could even reach where Zethro had landed, however, he watched as Zethro somehow managed to pick himself up. He was battered, but apparently the Solarbeam hadn't quite knocked him out yet. Furthermore, Shrike could see a flickering orange-red aura appear around Zethro, as if he were enveloped in a faint fire. Shrike realized that the single Solarbeam had done enough damage for Zethro's native Blaze ability to kick in, an ability which would only increase the strength of his fire attacks even more. However, using Flame Wheel would mean Zethro would have to cross the now long distance between the two opponents, all the while leaving him open for yet more counter attacks. As weakened as Zethro was now, Shrike wasn't sure he could handle anymore hits, let alone exert the effort needed to run at all.

"I'm surprised he survived that," Zack commented. "Go on then, strike back at me with an Ember! A Flamethrower! Whatever you've got up your sleeve!" he then suddenly taunted. "I can do no more to increase your Cyndaquil's fire strength now, so take the advantage!"

Shrike frowned. Zack didn't realize that Zethro couldn't use Ember, nor much else at this range. "Stand your ground! Let him come to you," Shrike said, making up his mind. There was little else to do, especially since he got the feeling that if Zethro tried to move closer, Sceptile would be ready to counter.

"Hmph, you don't like ranged combat?" Zack asked rhetorically. "Very well then; Sceptile, close the distance yourself with Agility!"

"Get ready for Flame Wheel again!" Shrike yelled as soon as Zack gave his own command. "Use it as soon as he's within range!"

Sceptile set off running, moving so fast that he seemed to flicker in and out of existence, teleporting several yards at a time as the gap between it and Zethro quickly closed. Meanwhile, Zethro's flame had flared up again, rising taller than Shrike had ever seen it before as the Cyndaquil channeled every ounce of his energy into what would hopefully be a one hit knockout. When Sceptile was only a few yards from Zethro, the Cyndaquil began running. Shrike noticed that he seemed a little wobbly, his legs shaky. He never would have made it to Sceptile on his own, confirming Shrike's thoughts.

Sceptile suddenly flickered back into view mere feet in front of Zethro, who swiftly leapt into the air and curled up. The attack was point blank, Shrike knew there was no way it could miss, even if Sceptile tried moving out of the way using Agility. There simply wasn't enough time for the Sceptile to move. As Shrike saw a glimmer-like spark flash in Sceptile's eyes, however, he instantly realized he had once again underestimated his opponent. Detecting the attack early, Sceptile suddenly slid out of the path of Zethro's attack just in time, the flame-wrapped Cyndaquil flying past him as he missed his target. Following up on the dodge, Sceptile suddenly swung an arm into the air, the leaf-like blade that seemed to sprout from his arm near the hand glowing green along its edge. The swipe clipped Zethro, knocking him out of his arc as he fell to the ground on his back, the intense fire that could have won the battle for Shrike extinguished against the dirt.

Sceptile knelt down next to Zethro, using the leaf blade on its arm to push Zethro's head up. Shrike grimaced as he looked at what Sceptile had the blade over: a wide scar that ran completely from one edge of Zethro's neck to the other. Some strands of surgical stitching were still visible in the scar, although most had dissolved or fallen out by now. Shrike watched as Sceptile cocked his head and examined the scar, his leaf blade held right over it in a position where he could very easily reopen the wound.

"I see," Zack said. Somehow he had walked up next to Shrike without him realizing. Perhaps he had just been too focused on the scar to notice Zack. "So that is why he cannot use ranged flame attacks."

"I'm not going to talk about it, if that's what you want," Shrike preemptively stated.

Zack paused a moment, his Sceptile turning to look at him. Slowly the older boy shook his head. "I won't pressure you further, but I think it is clear that I won. I'll spare you and Zethro the pain of proper defeat." Glancing to the side he grinned at Rayne, who merely crossed her arms and narrowed her eyes at him. Holding up Sceptile's Poké Ball Zack recalled it, slipping the ball back in to his pocket as he turned around, Shrike watching his actions out of the corner of his eyes, keeping his main focus on Zethro.

"And the cost of defeat?" Shrike asked.

"None," Zack answered. "I may have won, but I'm calling the battle void. It won't be officially recorded and thus, no prize is needed."

"That's awfully generous," Shrike said as he called Zethro back into his Poké Ball and turned to face Zack. "But you were never looking for money, were you?"

Zack seemed to ignore the question, pausing for a moment before suddenly turning to face Shrike again. The wide smile from before was back, and as he spoke he sounded just as cheerful as he had when he first appeared. "I have a gift for you, in fact. Consolation, for being forced to put up with me."

"A gift...?" Shrike began to ask, but before he could finish Rayne interrupted.

"No thanks," she said as she shook her head. "No offense, but it's not like I exactly trust you." Shooting a glare at Shrike she mumbled under her breath, "Neither should he."

"Ah, but the gift is not for you," Zack said cheerily. "Besides, it is my understanding that you already have the gift. The gift to understand the speech of Pokémon..."

This time, Rayne didn't wait even a second. She was on Zack in an instant, grabbing him by the collar and forcing him up against a tree as she held an arm across his neck with enough force that he could just barely breathe. Shrike took a step forward and opened his mouth as if about to say something, but stopped short when he realized it would probably not be a good idea to get on the bad side of his traveling companion. Rayne didn't notice him and went on to growl, "How the hell do you know that?"

"As I said, you can overhear quite a few things..." Zack choked out, somehow even now managing to keep smiling.

"Not good enough," Rayne said. "When did you start following us?"

"...Last night."

Rayne suddenly released the pressure on Zack's throat and backed off a foot, but before he could even recollect himself the palm of Rayne's hand came swinging around, landing across Zack's face with a loud slap. "Gods, that's so creepy!" Rayne exclaimed as Zack reeled back from the slap. "Did you watch us while we slept even? Huh?" Without waiting for an answer she spun around and grabbed Shrike's wrist as she began to drag him along. "Come on, we're getting out of here already. I don't think I can stand this guy any longer."

"W—wait!" Shrike stuttered, pulling his arm away from Rayne. "Didn't you hear him? His gift, I could understand Pokémon too..."

"That's right," Zack said as he rubbed his cheek where Rayne had hit him. "Not in the same way as she does, but still, is there any difference between natural abilities and technology in the end?"

"Technology?" Shrike repeated. "I haven't heard of anything like this before."

Seeing that Shrike was once again being dragged into Zack's net, Rayne threw up her arms in disgust. "Fine, just go along with the creep. I'll be down the path, out of sight. Come find me when you're done, and don't blame me if he tries to con you." With that Rayne went storming off, Zack and Shrike watching until she disappeared from sight behind a bend in the trail.

"It's not public knowledge," Zack said, returning to the conversation they had been having before all of Rayne's interruptions. "But, a translator has been in development by CORE and it just so happened that I got my hands on a couple prototypes."

"CORE? What's that?" Shrike asked.

"The Collective for Organic Research and Engineering, a biotech firm specializing in technologies related to humans and Pokémon," Zack answered. "They've been in the news a lot lately after their former CEO was murdered, I'm surprised you haven't heard of them."

"I don't watch the news much. None of it really applies to me," Shrike shrugged.

"Well, one of these days it just may, so perhaps now would be a good time to start," Zack said. Reaching into a pocket he pulled out a small metal canister no longer than his palm was wide, flipping open one end of it and rolling something out as if it were a breath mint. Holding it up so Shrike could see, he explained, "This is it, a prototype Pokémon translator. Just put it in your ear like a hearing aid and it'll work automatically."

Shrike held out his hand and let Zack drop the translator into it. It did look similar to a very small hearing aid that fit fully in the ear canal, being made of a soft rubber to allow it to mold to the ear's shape. "So I just stick it in there?" Shrike asked. "Does it matter which way?"

"Here, I'll do it." Zack picked the translator back out of Shrike's palm and grabbed the boy's head, turning it to the side. Gently he pushed the small device into Shrike's right ear, its malleable surface allowing the translator to fit in tightly enough that it wouldn't simply fall out.

Shrike rubbed his ear, grimacing at the discomfort of having something just under the size of a pea jammed into his ear canal. "This is sort of annoying," he remarked.

"You'll get used to it within a day or so," Zack shrugged. Shrike noticed that he could still hear clearly even with the translator in the way. He assumed that it must let through sound unimpeded until it actually needed to translate something.

"Can I remove it?" Shrike asked.

"You can if you really want to; just take some tweezers and yank it out. It's meant to stay in forever though, or at least until the battery runs dry and it needs replaced."

"And when that happens?"

"You better hope I'm around," Zack grinned, taking a few steps backwards. "But seriously, it shouldn't die anytime soon, certainly not for a year or so." Nodding a few times and sliding a hand into a pocket, he then added, "Well then, I suppose we should test it out."

Shrike grimaced as he glanced at his belt. "Zethro's in no condition to come out again now... I suppose there's Jehiel..." However, before Shrike could remove the Zigzagoon's Poké Ball Zack interrupted him.

"Hold on," the other boy abruptly said as he held out his other hand. "I believe that at least one of my Pokémon wishes to tell you something. Might as well introduce you to the others while I'm at it, eh?"

With that there were suddenly three bright flashes of red light as Zack quickly extracted three separate Poké Balls from the pocket his hand had been in. Among the three Pokémon that appeared was the Sceptile Zethro had fought against, as well as both a Mightyena and a Swellow. The canine, clad in slick gray and black fur, kept its bright red and yellow eyes on Shrike as it moved right next to Zack. The large red, white, and blue avian also kept its sharp eyes on the person who to it was a stranger, flying into the air and perching on a tree branch overhead.

Sceptile, on the other hand, walked over close to Shrike before kneeling on the ground and bowing its head. An arm crossed over its chest, it then began to speak. "I apologize for injuring your Pokémon," Zack's Sceptile spoke. Of course, it wasn't really any different, and to an outside observer it probably would have just sounded like meaningless grunts. Shrike could still hear that true voice, in fact; however, overlaid on top of those sounds the translator spoke their true meaning. "I assure you, I did not ever have it in my mind to injure your Cyndaquil beyond recovery," The Sceptile went on to say. "I plead that you do not let our minor deception affect your opinion of us." Finished apologizing, Sceptile stood up and walked over next to Zack, where he crossed his arms and glanced at his trainer.

"You can hear this too?" Shrike asked as he instinctively put a hand up to his ear.

Zack nodded. "Of course. Would be quite odd for me not to use one myself. As for what was said, it's true; we never meant harm."

"You perhaps," Zack's Mightyena suddenly hissed. "I still insist that we should just—"

"Quiet!" Zack suddenly snapped, the Mightyena doing just that before it could say anymore. "Now is not the time for bickering!"

"Ah, but that is all he knows how to do," the Swellow crooned from its place in the trees above. "Bicker and fight. How barbaric."

"Why, you...!" Mightyena growled as he jumped into the air. He took a swipe at the bird but the branch Swellow sat on was simply too high for Mightyena to reach.

"Enough!" Zack roared, bringing a palm up to meet his face while sighing. "Sometimes these translators are more curse than gift..."

Shrike was more than a little overwhelmed by all this. His hand was frozen next to Jehiel's Poké Ball, his intent to let the Zigzagoon out all but forgotten. All he could manage was to mutter, "This...is surreal." After a brief pause he remembered what he had been going to do, closing his hand around the sphere and pulling it away from the magnetic clasp that secured it to his belt. "Might as well make it even crazier..." he said, before pressing the button on the Poké Ball and releasing the Pokémon from inside.

"Master!" Jehiel shouted immediately upon being released from his Poké Ball on the ground in front of Shrike, looking up at the boy as he continued with, "Are there enemies about? Hostiles?! Just show me them, I'll protect you!" Whipping his head about, Jehiel tried his best to locate any so-called hostiles.

"Uh... That... That's not necessary..." Shrike stammered, caught off guard by Jehiel's behavior.

"Of course it is!" Jehiel countered. "You caught me and so are now my master, and it is my job to..." Before he could continue with what he was saying, however, Jehiel suddenly turned around and finally noticed Zack and his Pokémon standing there, staring down at the rather vocal Zigzagoon. Before Shrike could introduce them, however, Jehiel got in the first word. Or, several words.

"Who the hell are you looking at you mangy mutt?!" Jehiel burst out shouting. "And you, green thing! What are you even? Keep on staring at me and I'll rip those eyes right out!" About that time Jehiel had taken up a fighting pose, lowering his body closer to the ground and puffing out his spiky bown fur to give him the appearance of being larger than he really was. Still not done though, he continued ranting, "And a bird?! You think you're so hot because you can fly right over me?! Well I'll show you just how high I can jump and clip your wings while I'm at it! Or better yet, tear them right out of their sockets! Come on, everyone! Bring it! If you so much as take one more step closer to master, I swear I'll tear you all to pieces!"

The silence that followed was literally so thick, Shrike could swear that even the bugs and other noises of the forest quieted. It was as if the whole forest was shut up by Jehiel's rant, not even the smallest creature knowing how to respond to something like that. Even the Pokémon Jehiel had been addressing, anger evident in their faces, were struck dumbfounded and at a loss for what to do. It was obvious they wanted to beat the living tar out of Jehiel, but they seemed to have enough restraint to prevent themselves from doing so.

"That's not needed either..." Shrike finally sighed. "This is Zack, and his Pokémon. They're our...friends. I think."

"Are you sure of this, master?" Jehiel asked, not turning his eyes away from the other Pokémon for a single moment. "I swear that I will not let a single enemy harm you, but I must also obey your every command..."

"Then I command you to back down," Shrike ordered.

"Very well," Jehiel nodded as he relaxed, running back over to Shrike's side. Turning back to look at the Mightyena, he let out one final low growl of, "I'm watching you..."

Shaking his head, Zack pulled out his Poké Balls again. Even if Shrike had calmed Jehiel down, there wasn't any guarantee he'd stay that way. The last thing Zack wanted was for his Pokémon to have to injure the boy's only other Pokémon as well. So before that could happen Zack quickly recalled all of his own Pokémon, slipping the balls back into his pocket as he sauntered over to Shrike. "So," he said, trying to force a smile again despite the bizarreness of the situation. "You see that I was right? These translators really do work. Perhaps a bit too well..." His forced smile starting to relax some, Zack then reached out and gave Shrike's shoulder a small, friendly pat.

"An attack!" Jehiel suddenly yelled. Faster than Shrike had even thought the Zigzagoon could move, Jehiel had launched himself off the ground and straight at Zack, his small fangs bared. In a flash Zack found those fangs buried in his arm, Jehiel wrapping his front paws around Zack's arms to get a better grip.

"Uh..." was all Zack could mutter as he stared at the Zigzagoon hanging off his arm. Zack's hand still held on Shrike's shoulder, it almost looked like the Zigzagoon was clinging to a bridge between the two boys.

"Jehiel..." Shrike growled, his eyes lowering.

"Yes master?" the Zigzagoon asked around his grip on Zack's arm.

"Let go of the arm."

"But..."

"Now."

"But..."

"That wasn't an attack," Shrike continued to growl. "I will tell you when I am being attacked, and when you need to attack back."

Jehiel was silent for a moment, before making a small nod. Letting go of the arm he dropped to the ground, sitting down and staring up at Shrike with his large brown eyes. Cocking his head to the side slightly, he then said, "You are an odd master. Far different from my previous."

"Previous?" Shrike asked curiously, tilting his own head to the side. Did someone else release him?

"I..." Jehiel muttered, lowering his head to look at his feet. He didn't say anymore though, and Shrike got the picture.

"That's okay," Shrike grinned as he knelt down and rubbed the Zigzagoon's head. "You don't need to say anything if you don't want to." Standing back up, Shrike turned his attention back to Zack, who was inspecting the wounds Jehiel had given him. There were four holes in his arm from Jehiel's fangs, but they were small and the bleeding was minimal. Plucking a few leaves off a nearby bush, Zack used them to wipe off some blood. "It's not too bad is it?" Shrike asked, concerned nonetheless.

"Oh, it'll be fine," Zack shrugged. "I've received and lived through worse."

Jehiel glanced sideways at Zack as he staggered over next to Shrike again, refraining from reaching out to give the younger boy another pat least Jehiel attack again. Still, the Zigzagoon could see Zack's intent, and his almost apologetic demeanor suddenly changed. His fur puffed out slightly and his eyes narrowed to slits, his fangs peeking out from between his lips as a low growl emanated from his throat. "Take one more step and this time I'll tear your arm off," he threatened.

"There will be no tearing off of arms today..." Shrike sighed. "Nor ever. I'd probably be arrested if you did that..." Removing Jehiel's Poké Ball from his belt, Shrike held it up and expanded it, adding, "I think that's been enough of you for now," before gladly recalling the rather crazy Zigzagoon.

"You've got quite a handful there," Zack remarked.

"Are all my Pokémon going to be like this...?" Shrike muttered, slapping the Poké Ball back into its spot on his belt.

"It's doubtful," Zack shrugged. "But then again, he may be crazy but he's also loyal and obedient. Those are always good traits to have."

"Yeah, it's just the crazy part I could do without..."

"Hey, it adds character," Zack grinned, patting Shrike's shoulder again without the fear of being attacked by an overly protective fur ball. Turning around, he stuffed his hands in his pockets and began slowly walking back down the path. "Well, I think it's about time I take my leave."

"You sure?" Shrike asked. "You could travel with us for a while if you want; it'd be fine with me."

"Ah, but you have your friend, remember?" Zack said, stopping for a moment and glancing back over his shoulder. "I'm not sure she'd appreciate it."

"Yeah, guess you're right..." Shrike muttered as he himself turned around slightly and looked down the path in the direction they were heading, the way Rayne had went. He assumed she would be waiting for him and hadn't just abandoned him; it had been her idea to group together after all. "Well, I guess all I can say is thanks for the translator, even if you weren't entirely—" Shrike trailed off as he turned back around and found that Zack wasn't there anymore, apparently having walked off while Shrike wasn't looking. Shrugging, Shrike turned back around again and slowly walked down the path by himself, taking his time.

Soon enough he found Rayne sitting at the base of a tree, reading the same book she had been reading the previous night. She glanced up as Shrike approached, but remained silent. "Good book?" Shrike asked to break the silence.

"It's okay," she shrugged, closing it and dropping it into her backpack. Standing up, she pulled the bag over her shoulders. "So does it work?" she then asked back.

Shrike nodded. "Yeah. Did you know that Jehiel is a nutcase?"

Rayne grinned mischievously, brushing off the question in a manner that made the answer fairly obvious. "Shall we get going again, then? We've wasted enough time today, but we should still be able to make it to Petalburg in just a few hours."

Nodding again, Shrike began walking down the path as Rayne fell into step beside him. "Hey," she suddenly spoke up after a period of silence. "I'm sorry for how I acted back there..."

Shrike looked over at Rayne, suppressing his surprise. "It's fine," he said. "You don't need to apologize. Heck, he even deserved that slap."

Rayne merely shrugged. "Yeah, even you have to admit he's weird..."

Looking up at the sky while walking at the same time, Shrike couldn't help but wonder if Zack would show up again in the future. He certainly didn't seem like the type to just vanish forever. On one hand Shrike hoped that he wouldn't, but on another he hoped that he would. While weird, odd, and sort of creepy as Rayne put it, Shrike couldn't help but feel a desire to find out more about him and and hopefully become friends. Looking back down at where he was going, Shrike pushed Zack out of his mind for now, instead turning his thoughts to their closing destination. As his excitement rose and fantasies of his sure to be triumphant gym battle coursed through his mind, the odd interlude was all but forgotten. Not all of it, though. Raising his hand to feel his ear again, Shrike wondered what it would be like now to fully understand Pokémon instead of only guessing at their intent.

Off the side of the path, high up in a tree that towered over most others, none other than Zack sat on a thick, study branch as he peered through the leaves and watched Shrike and Rayne walk off below. Turning away from them, he looked up over the forest canopy in the direction they were heading. As if sprouting out of the forest, the skyscrapers and buildings of the city of Petalburg were visible. Reaching into his pocket, Zack pulled out a small, single-earpiece headset that he slid over an ear. Tapping one of the buttons on it, he waited a moment until he heard a terse, "I'm here."

"I've met them," Zack said. "They're en route. I'm heading back. Be ready."

Another click of a button and Zack peeled off the headset, stuffing it in his pocket again as he fearlessly stood up on the branch. A flurry of feathers rose up from a nearby tree and soon enough the large form of Zack's Swellow appeared, the boy leaping from the branch and landing on the bird's back. Already knowing their destination, Swellow beat its wings heavily as it shot off towards that landmark of human civilization amid the untamed forest: Petalburg City.

~End of Chapter 6~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

So yeah, there's Zack for you, and with it some rather large changes from before. In fact, pretty much everything was changed. From the entire encounter, to the setting, to Zack himself... Pretty much the only things I kept were Zack's team and the general flow of Jehiel's insanity. Old readers may remember that Zack had originally been planning a battle against Shrike in the original version but dropped it due to the whole battle with Jehiel thing. Well yeah, that was just me not wanting to write a battle then. Here I have restored that intended battle, and I am pleased with it. For one it shows that yes, Shrike can lose and he's not one of those invincible trainers who wins everything. It also shows that he's still a newbie at this for not grasping Zack's strategy.

Now I know some of those same old readers will probably be mourning the large changes to Zack's character as well, namely the fact that he is now no longer openly gay for Shrike. But seriously? Go compare Zack here to his later appearances in the original version. He had already lost his gayness there and this is just me retooling him so he's actually consistent instead of changing his face every time he appears. And no, I didn't want to change his later appearances to make him gay there as this really isn't that type of story. Go write some slash fics or something of your own if you must.

Those same people should also recognize that Jehiel hasn't change much at all. Except that he has. Yes, he's still bloodthirsty and overly protective, however I wanted to give him a better sense of loyalty, that he's not just acting like that for the hell of it but that he really just wants to protect his master. Also, I just had to make him even cuter in a more traditional sense for the irony.

So yeah. If this is how all future chapters turn out, well, this may be quite a bit more different than the original than I had thought. I had only been intending on majorly changing part 1 and certain other scenes, but at this rate, who knows.

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
    Years
  • Just under three months. Well, um, yeah. Moving on...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Chapter 7~

Petalburg City was certainly an odd place. Originally the city had been one of, if not the smallest municipality in Hoenn that could actually be called a city. It was most notable for its proximity to the laboratory of Professor Birch in Littleroot town, as well as containing what was technically the first Pokémon Gym new trainers would typically come across. Of course, at that time the gym was deceptive; the leader, Norman White, would frequently turn away challengers with any less than four badges. In time the city began to grow in order to cater to the number of trainers passing through, and with the city's expansion Norman's stance changed as well. With the local gym now accepting challengers of all experience levels Petalburg has truly grown in size and importance, rivaling only Rustboro City for sheer scale in the Hoenn region.

"Man, this place is small," Shrike exclaimed as he looked up at the Petalburg skyline with disappointment.

"You really have lived in Rustboro all your life, huh?" Rayne remarked.

"I guess I have," Shrike said as he rubbed his chin thoughtfully. The tallest building he could see seemed around thirty stories tall, nothing compared to the skyscrapers of Rustboro. "Anyplace smaller just seems wrong to me."

"You do realize that Rustboro is the largest city in Hoenn, right?" Rayne asked. She knew how Shrike would answer already and really didn't know why she even bothered to ask.

"Yes."

"And you also realize that Petalburg is the second largest city, right?"

"Yes..." Shrike was starting to get the picture.

"Well then you better get used to that feeling." Rayne tossed some loose strands of her long black hair over a shoulder as she started walking down the sloping path leading from the forest. The path soon turned into a road that lead straight into the city, wilderness seeming to disappear in an instant. Matariel, who had recently reappeared from her lone excursion into the forest, walked alongside Rayne and glanced back at where Shrike stood still staring at the city.

Noticing the Absol looking at him as she walked away, Shrike yelled, "Hey, wait up," before quickly rushing to catch up with them. "Before anything else we need to get to the Pokémon Center. Zethro needs some rest and it couldn't hurt to get our room now."

"Know where it is?" Rayne asked.

"I can." Shrike reached to his pocket and drew his Pokédex out of it, flipping it open. As soon as the screens sprang to life and its internal satellite receiver had connected to the global positioning system, Shrike pulled up the map application. It showed his near-exact location in Petalburg city, colorful icons scattered over the aerial view pinpointing where specific locations were. One of the icons, a stylized red Poké Ball, showed the city's primary Pokémon Center as being only a few blocks away with smaller satellite branches scattered over the rest of the city. Memorizing the location, Shrike nodded and motioned in the direction before saying, "This way," and walking off down the street.

It wasn't long until it seemed like the forest was miles behind them, buildings of shining metal and glass rising up around the group on all sides. Signs—some made of paper, some of LCD screens, and some of neon—hung off the buildings and advertised the services and venues within. Most seemed to appeal to Pokémon Trainers, with services such as grooming and day care being common. Specialty shops housed at the base of towers that held the combined offices of several businesses also seemed popular. None of those were what Shrike was looking for. While the throngs of people moving in and out of some of the more popular locations made him curious to see what they offered, he knew that he could always do so later on.

Turning around a corner, Shrike pushed his glasses up his nose as he looked up at one specific building that stood out from the rest. Instead of the normal monolithic rectangle that jutted out of the ground, the building was cylindrical with no flat surfaces on its exterior other than the recessed windows that lined its surface regularly. Atop the building a Poké Ball emblem stood, the words "Pokemon Center" on the Poké Ball confirming that the building was indeed what Shrike and his map thought it was.

The group stopped for a moment as some traffic passed the street in front of them before walking across with the herds of other people moving around the city. Shrike noticed that Matariel didn't seem to attract too much attention, other than from some younger kids whose heads were constantly whipping around to stare at each and every Pokémon that was walking about. Indeed, there were quite a few Pokémon out, following or even being carried by people who Shrike could only assume were their trainers. The city was definitely devoted to Pokémon with its very heart and soul, unlike the corporate center that was Rustboro.

The curved doors of the Pokémon Center slid aside as Shrike, Rayne, and Matariel approached it, exposing a lobby quite unlike the last Pokémon Center Shrike had been to. Like the building itself the lobby was circular, seeming to occupy the entirety of the first floor of the building. Tables and benches filled with talking people lined the walls to either side of the door, while on the opposite wall a door led off to the connected Pokémon hospital. Framing that door to either side were elevators and free to use videophones and computers. Right in the exact middle of the lobby was the circular reception desk, the group walking toward it while looking around.

Situated in the middle of the circular desk, a brown-haired woman sat typing at a computer. As the group approached the desk she looked up from her screen, smiling and noting the Absol walking alongside Rayne and the Poké Balls on Shrike's belt. "Hello," she said warmly. "I take it you're Pokémon Trainers?"

"Yeah," Shrike answered, nodding. "We just got here."

"Ooh, is this your first visit to one of our Pokémon Centers than?" the receptionist asked before adding, "I can give you an explanation of our services if you want."

Shrike shook his head. "That's not necessary. But yeah, this is our first stop. We came the opposite way from normal, though; from Rustboro."

"Ah, from Rustboro PTA?" the receptionist smiled knowingly. "My cousin goes there, says it's better than Petalburg's. My younger sister goes to the Academy here though and says it's better than Rustboro. What do you think?"

"How do you know we came from the Academy?" Rayne asked suspiciously.

The receptionist grinned slyly before answering, "Because it's logical. If you didn't come from a academy, you'd have had to go through Littleroot to register."

"Right, that makes sense," Shrike nodded. Returning to her question, he answered, "It's nice there. Very nice. I haven't seen Petalburg's Academy though; perhaps I can stop in while we're here."

"You should do that," the receptionist suggested. "If you do, come back and let me know what you think so I can break this tie. Anyway, I assume you'll be wanting a room?"

"Two rooms," Rayne corrected.

The woman frowned. "I'm sorry, we're packed at the moment and I'm afraid we can't afford to book more than one room for a single traveling party that's no larger than four people."

"And if I were to say that we're not traveling together?" Rayne suggested.

"This was your idea. You're not backing out now," Shrike whispered under his breath while glaring at his traveling partner.

"I don't think that's very likely." The woman shook her head. "Sorry..."

"Fine," Rayne said sharply. "Just as long as there's two beds at least."

"Okay then, I'll need to see your Trainer ID Cards to get you registered."

Shrike and Rayne each produced the cards they had been given upon leaving the academy and handed them to the receptionist. The cards were fairly basic, showing a picture of their face and having their name and ID number stamped on the front. A magnetic strip that ran along the back and an embedded RFID chip provided two different methods for the card to be read. Shrike noticed that this Pokémon Center seemed to use the later as the woman waved each card in turn over a black pad that beeped after reading the RFID chip.

"Okay then, your room will be on the tenth floor, number J12," the receptionist said as she handed their cards back. "This also gives you access to our complementary cafeteria which is located on sub-level one. Information on the times it is open can be found in a pamphlet in your room or on that sign," she gestured to a sign on the wall next to the elevators that gave various information about the layout of the building. Crossing her arms across the desk she smiled and nodded, finishing with, "Now, is there anything else you need?"

"Yeah, one more thing," Shrike said as he pulled Zethro's Poké Ball off his belt and placed it on the desk. "My Cyndaquil received some injuries in a battle and I was hoping you could have him looked over."

"Certainly," the woman nodded, picking up the Poké Ball. She placed the sphere into a device off to the side of her desk that clamped shut around the ball, a distinct humming noise picking up as a blue light washed over Zethro's Poké Ball. The woman stared at her screen as it began to show some information, finally responding with, "Initial scans look good, no major injuries. He could make a full recovery in just a day or so on his own, but I'll send him along for a basic treatment."

"How long will it take?" Shrike asked.

"Not long. It should only be about half an hour or so, and when it's done the Poké Ball will be transported directly to your room," she explained before asking for confirmation, "Is that fine?"

"Yeah, go for it," Shrike said as he nodded once. "I want to show him the city already but I don't want him to be in pain..."

"Aw, don't worry, he'll be fine!" the woman sympathetically assured Shrike, tapping a few keys on her computer. The blue light continued to wash over Zethro's Poké Ball before the sphere suddenly disappeared, transported presumably to a waiting area in the hospital part of the Pokémon Center. The machine now empty, the clamps that had secured the Poké Ball in place popped open, ready to accept another one. "Now, is that all?"

"Thanks, and yeah, this time it is," Shrike confirmed.

"I know you're probably hungry but let's go up to our room first," Rayne suggested.

"Actually, I was going to suggest that too," Shrike shrugged. "I want to wait for Zethro before eating and then going out."

The group walked over to the bank of elevators, Shrike thumbing the call button. It wasn't long before one of the four elevators dinged, an arrow above its door lighting up as it slid open. Walking into it, Shrike found that like the building the elevators were also circular. A window ran the height of the elevator car along its back, however nothing was visible through it at ground level. After Rayne and Matariel had both packed into the elevator Rayne pressed the button labeled J for the tenth floor as she was the one closest to the control panel. Immediately the doors closed and the elevator began to rise up, the wall that had obscured the view out of the elevator window disappearing to reveal a view of Petalburg City.

"Hey, Matariel," Shrike spoke up as he looked out the window.

"Yes?" the Absol responded with. Shrike could also hear her normal growl-like voice behind the translated speech, but he realized that if he were to make the most of this translator he'd have to start blanking that out.

"So you can talk after all," Shrike remarked, raising an eyebrow as he glanced at Matariel's reflection in the window.

"I speak when needed," she said calmly. "Most of the time, talking is wasteful."

"Jehiel would like to disagree with that..." Shrike muttered, shuddering as he remembered the events earlier that day when Zack had first given him the translator.

Before anyone else could speak, the elevator dinged again and slowed to a halt, the doors opening to let the people inside out on to the tenth floor of the Pokémon Center. Glancing about as he stepped off the elevator, Shrike found the feel of the place to be a cross between a hotel and a dormitory. Rooms lined the outside of the building, while the middle part was a mostly open common area. Walking along the doors leading to the rooms, Shrike found the one labeled 12 and swiped his ID card over the black panel next to it. The door sliding open in response, Shrike walked into their room as Rayne and Matariel followed.

They were greeted by a somewhat small yet adequately furnished room. Straight ahead from the door was the main bedroom, with twin bunk beds pushed against the wall to either side. Opposite the door was a large, outward curving window with a desk positioned in front of it. Completing the room, a small television sat on the desk off to the side. While Shrike wandered over to one of the beds and sat down on it, Rayne meanwhile investigated the bathroom that was to the right of the front door.

"Sweet, a shower," she said upon seeing it, complete with small bars of soap and bottles of shampoo and conditioner. It had been a few days since either of the two had showered and while it didn't bother Shrike so much, Rayne was a different story. "I'll be in here, probably for an hour or so. Don't worry about me!"

As Shrike set his backpack on the ground and rubbed his sore shoulders, he watched as Matariel slowly walked into the room. Without even glancing around the Absol lay down next to the bunk bed across from the one Shrike was sitting on, closing her eyes to rest.

"Girls, eh? Their showers are always so long..." Shrike joked, hoping to strike up some sort of conversation with Rayne's partner. All he got was Matariel opening one red eye to glance at him, before shutting it again and returning to ignoring him.

Come on, does she always have to be so quiet? Shrike thought in defeat. Deciding that trying to learn more about the Absol could come later, Shrike bent down and opened the backpack at his feet. From inside it he pulled out his slate computer which he hadn't touched in a while. Finally out of the woods and back in civilization, though, he was eager to check in with some people.

Flipping open the computer's protective case he pressed the power button and waited as it powered up. When he was finally presented by his desktop, the computer took the liberty of automatically connecting to the Pokémon Center's free internet, barely a second passing after that before an instant messenger window popped up. Shrike smiled when he saw that it was LuminousShadow, who must have seen him automatically sign in. <Been a while.> they said.

<Yeah, I was out wandering through the forest! :D> Shrike responded with.

<Awesome! You said you were going to Petalburg?>

<Yep! I'm sitting in our room at the Pokémon Center now.>

<Our?>

<Yeah, Rayne too. We have to share a room...>

<Oh. Okay. Well, so long as you don't have to share a bed!>

<Ugh... I don't think I'd be able to do that... DX>

<So, planning to go to the gym soon?>

LuminousShadow's sudden change of topic slightly threw Shrike off, but he quickly recovered. <Well, I suppose. It's sort of why I came here!> Suddenly changing the topic himself, Shrike then added, <Hey, are you on #thebbs now?>

<Yeah, why?>

<Is Chaos on?>

<...No. Why?>

<Good, I'll be on there in a moment! Might as well say my hellos before leaving for the gym!>

Shrike wasn't sure how long he spent immersed in IRC, informing whoever would listen of the events of the past few days including his capture of Jehiel. While he did tell them about Zack (omitting his loss in the battle), he decided it would probably be best to leave out mention of the translator. Nonetheless, all was well and no sign of Chaos meant he could yammer away about Pokémon all he wanted without being flamed. Chaos had always been a problem on the chat. While normally he was fairly mild-mannered, any mention of Pokémon would lead to him flipping out to the point where he was inevitably temporarily banned. The operators seemed reluctant to permanently ban him, however, as it was only Pokémon that caused him to fly into flaming rampages. As the channel wasn't even dedicated to Pokémon in the first place, the operators seemed to feel it better to deal with him on a case by case basis.

<*chaos has joined #thebbs>

LuminousShadow was the first to respond, simply with, <Gods...>

<oh. you again.>
    Chaos said after a pause, no doubt addressing it to Shrike.

<You used periods.> Shrike couldn't help but notice. <What a surprise. Learn to capitalize next.>

<dude i dont need to take your shit i rite how i want>

<And then the periods disappear like magic! But they were fun while they lasted.>
    LuminousShadow sarcastically exclaimed.

Since Shrike was in a good mood he wasn't as angry at Chaos as usual and decided to try playing with him some. <Yet I have to take your shit all the time. Here, have some of mine.>

<*FireBird throws some of his Pokémon's shit in Chaos' face.>

<hey fuck you and your gay ass pogeymen>

There was a brief pause following that, with LuminousShadow again being the first to respond, <...Really? Pogeymen? That's the best you can come up with?>

Finding himself ever so slightly irritated now, Shrike scrolled through the list of current users in the channel. There weren't any operators on. Pulling up the instant messenger window with LuminousShadow from before he began focusing on it instead. <Aw great, no ops are on.>

<So I noticed.>
    LuminousShadow replied back. <You gonna leave then?>

<Yeah, it'd probably be for the best. I want to go eat something soon anyway.>

<Okay then, bye. See ya later!>

Shrike quickly switched back to the chat window, ignoring anything new that had been said and quitting with the message, <*FireBird has quit (Quit: Okay, enough of this for now.)> Then closing out all the open windows, Shrike put his computer into sleep mode and set it on the desk by the window. Finding its power cable in his backpack, he plugged it in to charge for the time being.

As Shrike was walking to their room's door he noticed two things: one being that Rayne was still in the shower, and the other being that a small screen set into the wall next to the door was currently beeping to get his attention. He must have been so caught up in his internet conversations he hadn't noticed it before. Lowering his glasses, Shrike peered over the top of them at the screen. On it he noticed a button labeled "Turn Off Alarm" which he promptly pressed to dismiss the somewhat annoying beeping. His eyes then turned to look at the text that was displayed on it, which read along the lines of Zethro being ready for delivery. At first Shrike found this wording sort of odd, but then he noticed the additional note saying to scan his ID across the sensor pad next to the screen to confirm his identity.

Pulling out his ID card, Shrike went along with what the screen suggested he do and swiped it across the sensor. A progress bar appeared on the screen along with the words "Pokemon Transportation System Initializing" as next to the screen a small panel slid down. From inside the newly revealed cavity metal arm-like protrusions—similar to those on the device used at the reception desk—unfolded around a circular pad set inside the wall. The progress bar on the screen rapidly filled as a hum built up from the transporter, quickly rising in intensity. In a flash of light a Poké Ball appeared on the pad, secured within the arms. As soon as the arms released their grip on the Poké Ball and opened up, Shrike reached inside to pick it up.

"Well that's convenient," he said to himself.

Shrike had been planning to go down to the cafeteria and grab something to eat, however with Zethro now returned to him, he decided there was some talking to do. Returning to the bed he had claimed, Shrike sat down on the edge of it and casually popped open Zethro's Poké Ball. Matariel glanced over slightly as the mass of red light from the Poké Ball settled down into the now familiar shape of a hunched over Cyndaquil.

Fully formed, Zethro looked around some and blinked, uttering to himself, "Where is this now?" It wasn't long until he noticed Shrike, smiling down at him from the bed he sat perched on. Jumping in place excitedly, Zethro let out a squeal of, "Shrike! You're here after all!" before leaping up into his trainer's lap.

"Yeah, I'm here. You took quite a beating before, sorry about that..." Shrike apologized, although technically it wasn't really his fault anyway. It was Zack who had both deceptively challenged Shrike and then given the orders for his Sceptile to attack. Nonetheless, Shrike felt guilty anyway. "Oh, right. We're in Petalburg City now, in our temporary room at the Pokémon Center."

Zethro turned to look out the room's single large window, from which he could see the other tall buildings of the city. "Petalburg... I wish I could have been there with you when you arrived..." Suddenly he perked up as he came to realize something, turning back around to face Shrike. Placing his front paws on the boy's chest, he raised his head up and stared at Shrike over his long snout. "Wait, did you... Understand me?"

Shrike smiled, placing a hand on the Cyndaquil's back and scratching him, his fingers running through the Pokemon's coarse, dark blue fur, although being careful to avoid the red incendiary spots. "You missed out on the rest of the meeting with Zack. He gave me something, this translator thing." Shrike turned his head so Zethro could see, pointing to his ear inside which the exposed surface of the translator could be seen. "I'm still getting used to the feel of having it in there—it's not exactly normal, but oddly enough it seems to be getting more comfortable—but it does what Zack said it would: translate Pokémon speech."

"That's..." Zethro blinked a few times, taking it in. "Cool! We can be friends now!" he squealed, dropping down and giving Shrike the closest thing to a hug that the small Pokémon could.

"But we were already friends..." Shrike pointed out.

"But now you can understand me!" Zethro exclaimed excitedly. A moment passed by with Zethro pressed against Shrike's chest, his eyes closed in thought. Shrike reached down and started to pet the Cyndaquil again, but suddenly stopped when he wondered if Zethro actually liked being treated like a pet. "Keep going..." Zethro murmured however, Shrike tilting his head slightly before continuing to pet his Pokemon's back.

"Is something wrong?" Shrike asked, wondering why Zethro had turned so quiet all of a sudden. From what he could see it looked like the doctors had pretty much fully healed and even cleaned him; not a sign of the battle with Zack remained, be it a scratch or some loose dirt particles trapped in his fur.

"I tried talking to you before, but of course you couldn't understand me..." Zethro quietly said. "I guess I had given up hope, but then this... I can... I can finally tell you what I've been trying to, and you can finally understand me when I say it..." Zethro slowly opened his eyes and looked up at Shrike, who was surprised to see tears welling up in the Cyndaquil's large, red-colored eyes. "Thank you..." he whispered. "Thank you for saving my life..."

Shrike was silent; he didn't know how to respond to that. Holding Zethro against his chest tightly, he dropped his head down so it touched the Cyndaquil's who nuzzled him back. His eyes closed as he took in the moment, Shrike didn't notice Matariel glancing up at them from where she lay on the floor. For a second she gave the two an odd, sullen stare, before blinking and closing her eyes again as she returned to her rest.

Finally Shrike came up with words, slowly speaking them into Zethro's small ears. "I couldn't live with myself if I didn't do anything. Letting them take you away, or kill you—they were never options." Zethro nodded slightly and Shrike raised his head back up, lifting up Zethro's from his chest so he could see the Pokemon's face again. He had stopped crying. "Feeling better now?" Shrike asked.

"Yeah..." Zethro sighed. "I just needed to finally get that out of me."

Shrike picked up the small Pokémon from his lap and sat Zethro down on the bed next to him, reaching behind the lenses of his glasses to rub his eyes before standing up. "Well, I was planning on going down to grab something to eat now," Shrike explained as he slid his glasses off his face and held them up to the window. Determining that they were clear enough, he replaced them back on his face before continuing, "I imagine you want to come?"

Zethro perked up at that, leaping off the bed and running to the door of the room. "Yeah!" he shouted excitedly. "I'm hungry!"

"You always are," Shrike grinned as he walked over to the door and opened it for Zethro. The Cyndaquil charged out of the room followed shortly by Shrike, but before the door could close behind him he heard Matariel speaking.

"Hold on to that companionship," the Absol spoke. "It will make you strong."

Shrike stopped and turned to look at her, however she continued to act as if nothing was out of the ordinary. "Huh?" he asked, to which the dark-type Pokémon's only response was to briefly open an eye to look at Shrike before closing it again. Shrugging it off, Shrike turned back around and walked out of the doorway which finally slid closed behind him with a slight whirring sound.

Zethro hopped about excitedly as the two traveled down the elevator, past the lobby level and into the building's basement. Clinging on to the rail that surrounded the elevator car, the Cyndaquil gasped in amazement as he looked at the view of Petalburg City outside the window, leaping off and running after Shrike as the elevator opened to reveal a brightly lit hallway. Various doors marked with their functions branched off the corridor, the most interesting and relevant one to the pair being the large double doors that were propped open and led to the Pokémon Center's large buffet-style cafeteria. Shrike was forced to again produce his ID card and swipe it over a panel to pass through a turnstile, while Zethro was able to simply run under it as if it weren't even there.

Shrike picked Zethro up so the Cyndaquil was at a better height to see the various foods available on the four bars arranged in a square at the center of the cafeteria. While most of the food available was stuff more appropriate for humans, one of the bars was devoted solely to special food designed with Pokémon in mind. Finding a plate, Shrike began to pile it high with a mix of food for both Zethro and himself. Shrike felt it was his duty to sample everything available, but alas the physical limitations of his plate—and inability to carry two due to Zethro's insistence on being carried so as to see everything—meant he had to settle with only a small sampling of what was offered. Carrying his nearly overflowing plate to an empty table, Shrike set both it and Zethro down as he took a seat.

Both trainer and Pokémon began to eagerly attack the mound of food, attracting more than a few odd looks from strangers seated at the surrounding tables. "What?" Shrike asked defensively, declaring that, "We haven't had a real meal in days."

Only partway through the meal, Shrike was interrupted by a tap on his shoulder. Looking up he found Rayne standing over him, evidently done with her long shower although her long black hair still had a wet sheen to it. Next to her Matariel stood, although as usual she remained silent. "I figured I'd find you two here," Rayne said.

"Yeah, well, here we are!" Shrike grinned, picking up a piece of battered chicken and holding it out to Rayne. "Chicken strip?" he offered. "I got too much and it seems Zethro's not fond of chicken."

"No thanks," Rayne sighed, pushing it away.

"You?" Shrike then offered it to Matariel, who snarled and looked away from it. "Ah right, I forgot about your preferred diet..."

"Look, forget the chicken." Rayne seemed slightly aggravated, but then again, to Shrike she always seemed that way. "You're going to the Pokémon Gym today, right?"

Sadly setting the wasted piece of chicken back down on his plate, Shrike responded with, "Yeah, might as well go now. No use waiting!"

"Okay then. We've decided to come with you," Rayne said.

"You have?" Shrike tilted his head curiously. Grinning, he then added, "Going to cheer for me?"

"No," Rayne flatly said, an icy tone to her voice. "I just want to see if you get owned as bad as you would have with Jehiel without our assistance"

"Well no worry there." Shrike picked up the knife he had been using to cut his food and began twirling it around his fingers. "I'm going to assume that no one will be trying to kill Zethro this time. That sort of complicated things." The knife quickly slipped from his grip, hitting against his fingers before tumbling down, bouncing off his leg, and falling to the floor below. "Ow..." he muttered.

Rayne bent down and picked up the knife and began spinning it herself, flipping it between her fingers in a much flashier manner than Shrike could pull it off. After setting it back on the table and sitting down in a chair herself, she couldn't resist flashing a smile and saying, "We'll see about that..."

Under pressure from Rayne's watchful, waiting eyes, Shrike and Zethro suddenly didn't feel as hungry as they had been. Finishing off a few more items from the plate, the group finally stood up to leave, a small amount of leftover food remaining on the plate which they left for the busboys to clean up. Again crowding back into the elevator, they took the short trip up to the lobby and from there out the front doors and onto the streets of Petalburg City once again. This was the first time for Zethro, though, and it was obvious that he was anxious about seeing a new city. Running all around Shrike's feet and nearly tripping him up at times, Zethro scurried about the sidewalk to look at near everything and everyone with wide-eyed excitement. This was to the great amusement of the ever present kids watching the older trainers and Pokémon who they aspired to be one day.

Pulling out his Pokédex and flipping it open, Shrike again consulted its map to find out where exactly they were going. The Gym turned out to be located in pretty much the exact middle of the city, with roads radiating out from it like spokes. The group made their way to the closest of these main roads, taking their time walking down it to take in the various sights to be seen along the way. Glass storefronts housed various eye-catching displays advertising a full range of Pokemon-related products from simple toys and paraphernalia to specialty shops offering various exotic Poké Ball designs. Shrike noticed there wasn't much in the way of normal trainer items, but he attributed that to the monopoly the Pokémon Mart franchise had over that section of the market.

While most of the items on display didn't interest him too much, Shrike did notice one particular electronics shop that was advertising the latest Pokédex model as being on sale. Unfortunately the price was still too high for the meager allowance Shrike's dad was obligated to send him, so with a sigh he was forced to pass on such an unnecessary upgrade. The one from his dad that Professor Jura had given him would have to suffice, not like there was anything wrong with it.

Eventually the group reached the center area of the city. A park surrounded the city's heart: a dome-shaped building that had to be the Pokémon Gym. As Shrike, Rayne, and their Pokémon walked along a path that led through the trees, the building soon came into view. Shrike couldn't help but gasp slightly; the Gym was much larger than he had been expecting. In fact, it looked sort of like a sports stadium in some ways. Thinking about it some more, Shrike decided that wasn't too surprising seeing as here amid the Pokémon Islands, Pokémon battles were essentially the most popular sport of all.

Several smaller doors ringed the Gym, however there seemed to be one larger door that was the primary entrance. Pointing it out to Rayne, Shrike quickly snaked his way along the various paths that led through the grass that surrounded that building, Zethro quickly following behind. Rayne and Matariel, on the other hand, seemed to not be quite as excited and walked a bit slower. By the time they had reached the entrance, Rayne expected Shrike to already be inside, registered for a battle, and possibly halfway through either handing Norman a beat down or having it handed to himself.

This turned out not to be the case, much to her surprise. Instead, Shrike was standing a little ways back from the door, holding a hand out to stop Rayne from approaching it. "Hold on, something's up," he said.

Rayne looked at the door, at first not noticing anything out of the ordinary. Then she noticed two men just standing there next to the door, clothed in crimson red robes that made them easily stand out from everyone else. "Those two?" she asked, Shrike nodding in confirmation. "Well let's find out," Rayne followed with as she walked forward, Matariel padding along behind. Stopping so that she was within hearing distance of them, she positioned herself so that they hopefully wouldn't notice her. Furthering her efforts to blend in, she knelt down and began picking through Matariel's fur as if grooming the Pokemon before venturing inside the Gym for a battle.

Slightly hesitant, Shrike picked up Zethro and held him in his arms as he followed Rayne's lead. Sitting down on a bench not far from where Rayne was kneeling, he looked off at the trees while petting Zethro. All the while, though, he kept his focus on the two men visible out the corner of his eyes.

"Brother, what is this?" the shorter and presumably younger of the two asked. He seemed to be around Shrike's own age, while the other looked to be several years older. The robed boy was staring quizzically at the Pokémon Gym's main door, his eyes narrowed as he studied it with intensity usually reserved for more challenging subjects. Shrike didn't understand what exactly was so fascinating about the door—it looked just like any other door to him. Then the door suddenly slid open and a man walked out of the building, glancing briefly at the two odd men as he walked away.

"Ach! There again!" the younger man exclaimed, pointing a finger at the door as it slid back closed.

"Brother Rayth, relax," the larger man said. It was hard to tell with the bizarre robes on, but underneath them Shrike couldn't help but think that he seemed to have the muscular build of a football player or such. "Tell me, what do you think is the explanation for such sliding doors as this?"

"Magic, it has to be," Rayth responded, his eyes growing wide as he considered the quite frankly absurd possibility. "This could only be the work of a master magician of the highest order."

"They call it technology, but for all purposes it is the same," the older man explained as he crossed his arms. "This example is used to filter out the Pure like us, and prevent our kind from entering their civilization's inner sanctum."

"Inner sanctum..." Rayth gasped, looking up at his brother. "Do you mean..."

The brother nodded. "Yes. This is a den for the Tainted and the Abominations that corrupt them. It serves as the core of their society. We are not allowed to enter."

"But Reich!" Rayth exclaimed, his face a mixture between shock and wonderment. "We can not allow this to continue! It is our duty to see to it that this sanctum of theirs is purified!"

Reich slowly shook his head. "We have not been given permission, nor are we properly equipped for a purification. A purification on such a large scale would require the permission of all of the High Council and more men than just the two of us alone." Suddenly smiling, Reich gave his younger brother a pat on the shoulder. "Today's purpose is solely to introduce you to the customs of life on the outside. In time you will be able to do as you please, but until then you must train, study, and prove yourself worthy to not just your peers but me as well."

Reich turned from the Gym and motioned for Rayth to follow as they began to move on. "Do you think I am doing well?" Rayth asked while walking alongside Reich.

"Yes, you are," Reich affirmed fondly. "There is no doubt in my mind that you are worthy of bearing the Ranthos family name. Mother and father would be proud."

With that the two walked out of earshot, Shrike standing up and walking over to Rayne while glancing at Rayth and Reich Ranthos' backs. Rayne stood up to meet him, Matariel looking relived that Rayne was no longer messing with her fur. "Well that was odd," Shrike said, hoping that the two couldn't still hear him. "What was up with those guys? They live in a cave or something?"

"They give me a bad feeling..." Rayne frowned, keeping her eyes on the robed strangers all the way until they turned a corner and disappeared behind a building. "I think we should avoid them if we see them or any of their kind again."

"I agree," Matariel spoke. Her natural voice, a mixture of growls and howls that somehow sounded oddly melodic attracted the attention of a few passerby who smiled and waved at the rare Pokémon and her trainer. The group ignored them though, paying attention to Matariel's actual words as she continued. "It as as if those people had an aura about them, one of malevolence. They are not well for this world." Pausing, Matariel shifted on her feet as she looked at the ground. "...They frighten me."

Even Shrike understood the impact of Matariel actually being scared by something, much less two oddly dressed, oddly speaking but otherwise apparently harmless men. For them to unnerve the apparently emotionless dark-type was quite a feat.

Rayne shook her head as she placed a hand on top of Matariel's head. Shrike wasn't sure Matariel actually enjoyed the contact. "Don't worry," Rayne said quietly. "We'll do our best to avoid them."

"An encounter may be inevitable," Matariel responded, Rayne's assurances falling flat. "Fate may demand it without our choice or consent."

Shrike shrugged, already growing bored of this. "Then there's no point worrying about it now as nothing could change. Look, let's just get on moving. I have a Gym Leader to defeat today!"

"Yeah!" Zethro cheered on, having remained silent throughout that uneasy scene. Evidently he also didn't care much about obsessive worrying.

"We can talk about this in private later," Rayne whispered to Matariel as she turned to again follow Shrike who had, again, taken off running to and this time through the doors of the Petalburg Pokémon Gym. Once more Rayne took her time, walking at a normal pace. This time she expected to run into Shrike leaving the Gym following his indeterminate victory or loss, but instead she was simply greeted by his yelling as she walked through those miraculous, magical sliding doors.

"What do you mean he's not taking any challengers now?!" Shrike yelled in despair. He stood at what was presumably the receptionist's desk, the poor, unsuspecting girl behind it shaking her head.

"I'm sorry, sir, but Norman is currently in an exhibition match and following that he is booked full with reserved matches for the rest of the day," the girl explained. "If you'd like, I can put you down for a battle in the closest available time slot."

"I never heard anything about needing to make an appointment. I thought you could just walk in..." Shrike sighed in dismay. Zethro at his feet seemed similarly upset by this turn of events. "They never mentioned this in school..."

"You didn't finish your schooling," Rayne said as she walked up to Shrike. "I'm guessing this would have been explained later."

"You think they could have warned me before we left..." Defeated, Shrike placed both hands on the counter and took a big breath before slowly exhaling. "Okay, I think I can think straight again now. Go ahead and put me down for whatever the nearest slot is. Name is Shrike Flamestar."

As the receptionist looked through the calender of bookings, Rayne noticed that their group had attracted the attention of a girl off to the side. She had been sitting on a bench next to a door that led from the Gym's lobby deeper into the building. The girl stood up, straightening her shirt as she walked over to the group standing at the desk. A smile on her face, she thoughtfully tapped her chin as she approached. "Excuse me," she asked. "You said your name is Shrike Flamestar?"

Shrike motioned for the receptionist to wait as he turned to look at the girl. She was shorter than both Shrike and Rayne and with a thinner build as well, but she seemed to be around their age. Combined with her almost startlingly blue hair, Shrike couldn't say that he recognized her. "Yeah, I did," he answered, feeling it would be pointless to lie.

The girl's smile broadened as she clapped her hands together in a motion of triumph. "Well then, your name matches, you said you'd be here today, and I can only assume that's Rayne and her Absol," the girl gestured to where Rayne stood off to the side, Matariel walking between the two girls as if to defend Rayne from the stranger. Ignoring that, the girl continued, "I knew I could find you, Fire Bird."

Shrike's jaw practically dropped. "If you know me by that name, you better not be Chaos or someone."

That provoked a burst of laughter from the girl as she shook her head and waved a hand. "No no, hell no! If I was, why would be in a place like this?"

"Point taken," Shrike shrugged. Rayne didn't understand the point, but then again she didn't really care about Shrike's little online life either. "Okay then," Shrike continued as he went on to guess again. "Luminous Shadow, is it?"

"Bingo," the girl smiled. "But don't call me that or I'll go around calling you Fire Bird. Instead, call me Aira Kaza."

~End of Chapter 7~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

And there you have it. Now we're really starting to move away from the how the old version was organized, with this chapter being a mix of both chapter 6 and the first part of chapter 7. Most importantly, though, is that EVERYTHING was pretty much completely reworked. Perhaps most notable is the changes I did with the Ranthos brothers, completely overhauling their characters and moving them to a different location, as well as removing the interaction they had with the main heroes. Additionally, the "elsewhere" scene was dropped as will most such scenes in future chapters. Only major ones will remain now, and the one at the end of chapter 6v1 certainly was not major in anyway.

For things added, there's several minor things with the biggest scene being the one with Shrike and Zethro. That scene where Zethro learns about the translator was one that I had originally planned for v1 but ended up cutting, leading to this odd problem where none of the Pokémon really take any notice of the translator. This time around I corrected. Whether it's cheesy or heartwarming is up to you to decide.

And now to decide what to spend the next few months writing...

Last edited:

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • Just under three months. Well, um, yeah. Moving on...

Seems like just yesterday that you updated... XD

... LuminousShadow, who must have seen him automatically sign in. <Been a while.> they said.
    They? I am guessing that they both said that, or did just one say that? If it is indeed "they", IMO it wouldn't be a bad idea to add "both" in there.
    "Cool! We can be friends now!" he squealed, dropping down and giving Shrike the closest thing to a hug that the small Pokémon could.

"But we were already friends..." Shrike pointed out.

"I tried talking to you before, but of course you couldn't understand me..." Zethro quietly said. "I guess I had given up hope, but then this... I can... I can finally tell you what I've been trying to, and you can finally understand me when I say it..." Zethro slowly opened his eyes and looked up at Shrike, who was surprised to see tears welling up in the Cyndaquil's large, red-colored eyes. "Thank you..." he whispered. "Thank you for saving my life..."
    Very cute scene.
    Even Shrike understood the impact of Matariel actually being scared by something, much less two oddly dressed, oddly speaking but otherwise apparently harmless men. For them to unnerve the apparently emotionless dark-type was quite a feat.

Rayne shook her head as she placed a hand on top of Matariel's head. Shrike wasn't sure Matariel actually enjoyed the contact. "Don't worry," Rayne said quietly. "We'll do our best to avoid them."

"An encounter may be inevitable," Matariel responded, Rayne's assurances falling flat. "Fate may demand it without our choice or consent."
    I spy a foreshadowing

It might suck being able to understand the disaster Pokemon. Knowing that something bad is coming, then again it could help too.

Overall nice chapter, and I like the bid at the end; makes me leery of chat rooms. But I've meet people off the net too. Sitting in the room looking at all the different people wondering who is going to come up to you. Its quite the experience. lol

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
    Years
  • Seems like just yesterday that you updated... XD
    Pfft, not when you're the one writing it.

They? I am guessing that they both said that, or did just one say that? If it is indeed "they", IMO it wouldn't be a bad idea to add "both" in there.
    No, it's me trying to make LS gender neutral until she's actually revealed to be a she. Stupid English is stupid with its gender neutral pronouns though, namely the fact that IT DOESN'T HAVE ANY!

In other words, blame English for being stupid and not me.

Very cute scene.
    So everyone is saying...

It might suck being able to understand the disaster Pokemon. Knowing that something bad is coming, then again it could help too.
    Well if you know something bad is coming you could try to avoid it, but then that might create a paradox. Or it might be predestined that you try to avoid it which then directly causes the bad thing to happen nonetheless... You can't win!

Thanks for reading!

Back