• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Years
    Can't remember the opposition but my uncle took me to me to a Rushden & Diamonds [RIP] game in 1999 or 2000. I went to a bunch of Dundee United games in the year after that during a brief spell living above the border. My first Norwich game was in 2002, we beat Grimsby 4 - 0. Goals on that day were scored by the Northern Irish duo Phil Mulryne and Paul McVeigh. Those two players have gone onto quite different career paths, McVeigh is an annoying media guy and Mulryne is a priest.

I watched the u21s face Romania in 2010, certainly a more successful group.

England – Fielding; Mancienne, Smalling, Jones, Bertrand; Cleverley (Albrighton 75), Henderson, Muamba, Rose; Wilshere (Cork 90); Welbeck (Sturridge 80). Subs (not used): Loach, Lansbury, Walker, Delfouneso.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I've never been to a game, but damn, I'd like to go to Colombia vs Haiti later this month. It's in Miami (where I live), but it'll probably be expensive ;-;

Years
    That Brighton result puts us in a more favourable position for the final game. It's still a shame we didn't take care of our own business in the last two games though.

I've never been to a game, but damn, I'd like to go to Colombia vs Haiti later this month. It's in Miami (where I live), but it'll probably be expensive ;-;

Assuming your transport costs aren't too great, that doesn't sound like it would be too expensive. I could obviously be very wrong since I don't know to much about ticket sales in U.S., but it doesn't seem like that matchup would cause too much demand.

He's got a driving ban

He's better than Zidane.

What an odd chant. Our fans always seem to have hated O'Neil since he left for reasons I'll never know.

Years
    I'm sure their sending off would be a lift for your lot too. Huge player for them. We've both got the early kickoffs on Saturday, have a feeling our emotions will be at opposite ends of the spectrum come the final whistles.

That was just about as Burnley as it gets.

You know it's been a rough season when Gary O'Neil is the player the fans are singing about.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Unpopular opinion, I support Sporting de Gijon. I'm not from Gijon, much less Spain... I just like them hahaha. I'm really hoping Barca loses today. That previous match against Betis was bs. Other than them, I like Real Madrid, though.

I swear this is the first time I have ever seen a Sporting fan online... and the fact that you aren't from Spain is even more puzzling. How do you decide you like Sporting? Legitimately puzzled. I support Atlético because it's my local team and I also like Villarreal for being my dad's town team, but... yeah.

Is it Leicester's day today?

Chelsea are so disgusting they couldn't even do this one job right. It's okay, they only need to perform the same way in two weeks and all will be forgiven. Although I hope it doesn't come down to that and we get a proper trophy presentation next week at Leicester instead. I'll probably stay at work for an extra 30 minutes just to watch that :P

Atletico fan here! Hoping Betis can hold Barca today, so far so good!

How is it supporting Atlético in Girona? Just wondering!

I'm counting on Espanyol playing their most annoyingly defensive and tackling the daylights out of every Barça player in sight the glorious 17.00 all-games-at-once Sunday.

Ivysaur

Years
    This is bloody unbelievable.

Well, time to grab the sports press tomorrow. What an amazing end for the season.

Years
    Well what has seemingly been inevitable for at least three months has finally happened. Now we'll probably never hear the end of it and I'll turn from rooting Leicester on to hating them for a bit. Dear god imagine if we do well at the Euros, Vardy will be on the SPOTY shortlist.

Dunk's sending off is big for us. Both their centre backs were injured when we beat them 3-0 earlier in the season and that looked like it could be one of the big differences between the two games, but now I'm optimistic again.

Hopefully we're both happy after the early kick offs. It seems like the sort of match that could finally send Van Gaal off to the job center.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I swear this is the first time I have ever seen a Sporting fan online... and the fact that you aren't from Spain is even more puzzling. How do you decide you like Sporting? Legitimately puzzled. I support Atlético because it's my local team and I also like Villarreal for being my dad's town team, but... yeah.

I literally have no idea. Hahahaha. Tiene buena pinta?

Xherdan

Bad at Good Games
    Years
    OOOO ALRIGHT GUYS

Juventus won the Serie A for the billionth time, don't care about that.
    Congrats to Leicester. "chat shit get banged" woo
    Bayern plays today. Hoping for AT LEAST 3x0. We want the Champions League.
    Udinese 1x5 Torino. Dope.
    Yeah, so i guess that's all in my daily grind...

Ivysaur

Years

We have conceded a total of 21 goals between the 36 league games (16) and the 11 CL games (5) we have played so far. That's 21 goals conceded in 47 games (to compare, Bayern's record is 15/32 and 10/11, so 25/43). The best result anyone has got against us all season long in these two competitions is a 1-0 (so penalties) or a 2-1 (which suits us just fine). If you manage to score a 2-0 against us, well, certainly you can say you have the best attack in all of Europe.

But if I had to put my money on something, I'd say there will be a draw tonight.

One last fact: Atlético haven't lost a game by 2 goals since February 2015.

Last edited:
    Years
    The Spanish Liga has taken a fairly interesting turn of late, a bit of a tense finish at the top there, although the rest of the League still mostly functioning as goal record fodder. Things aren't looking that promising for the English League on a European level, with clubs like Tottenham and so on filling up spaces left by their older, major clubs, and they'll likely be relying a bit on a notable resurgence from clubs like Manchester City and Chelsea, at the expense of the smaller clubs this time, to re-establish a respectable place in the European footballing circuit. Hopefully this doesn't take too much time for such clubs. Clubs like Liverpool and Chelsea are still fidgeting around in the mid-table, and will in all likelihood want this season to end so that they can treat it as if it never occurred.

Most of the European Leagues are just reducing to a question of whether the big clubs perform. Germany's not changed for a while, and is perhaps getting a bit stale. Italy's only slightly less continuous. Celtic have won again, but are at least slightly interesting about it. Paris Saint-Germain are on 89 points from 35 games, which must at least count as an impressive reprise of the pop singer feuds of recent years.

One last fact: Atlético haven't lost a game by 2 goals since February 2015.
    It's Torres. If they give the ball away to the opposition, it'll still miss the goal.

Ivysaur

Years
    HAHAHAHAHAHA
    R.I.P BARCELONA
    I told you Atletico was gonna win.
    Now let's hope for Bayern x Atletico or something on Semis.

The Football Discussion Thread!

a 2-1 suits us just fine

COME ON CITY.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
    Just waiting for the transfer period now. Chelsea needs to replace some of their players bad and bring in some young, controllable reinforcements

Back