• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Years
  • I don't know if It's off-topic.
    I wanted to say that I believe that the support from the crowd is the "12th player"
    Does anyone aggree?
    Do you support a team with Ultras or a great support?
    Here is the team performance of my team, it helped a lot the team, and we are in the qualifying round in Champions Leauge.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • UEFA Euro 2016 is not the only tournament going on currently. The Copa América Centenario is also currently going on. The Copa América Centenario is currently in its semi final stage. The four countries that made it this far are the United States, Argentina, Columbia and Chile. The United States faces Argentina on this Tuesday, June 21st. Where as Columbia faces Chile on this Wednesday, June 22nd.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Chile 7 - 0 Mexico is one of the most amazing results in memory.

I'm betting on a repeat of the previous final, Chile-Argentina.

Over here, I'm doing some quick projections (5 minutes to go in the England-Slovakia game) but it's surprisingly likely that England, Portugal, France, Italy and Germany will all end in one side of the knockout chart... while Spain is left alone in the other side... and I'm like oh my god I can't believe it how absurdly lucky are we.

Years
  • That Mexico result was pretty insane, it was also annoying to see considering all the low scoring Euro games we've had.

We have a pretty ridiculous group that like to think of themselves as Ultras called Red Faction, but really they just make a lot of noise and let a flare off once every few games. They're good for atmosphere though, you usually hear our team chant more in away games than the home team and I'd attribute it to them.

I'm sure you would want us in your side of the bracket really Went, we really really suck. The changes last night have made me think we're better off going out sooner to get rid of Roy.

Years
  • We don't have any 'ultras' (it's embarrassing when English clubs claim to have them) but we do have a group named the 'Barclay end projekt' that are aiming to improve atmosphere and fan togetherness. The k in the name sounds really naff if you don't know the reason behind it, they're basing their work on German fan culture. It's had some decent results at times, although the only place it's regularly noticeable is at Carrow Road under 21 games.

Away fans are always better than home ones. Siege mentality probably plays the biggest part but they're also probably the noisier fans at home. The amount of times AN genuinely thanks away support compared to home is ridiculous.

I want to see them playing on the counter before I get too down over England. This team should be made for that.

Champs fixtures tomorrow. Can't wait. I don't have any fellow Champs fans in here any more do i?

Gabri

m8
    Years
  • Lol.
    This coach is so fucking mediocre. Such small mentality. Trying to save a 3-3 in the last minutes - by not pressing at all and replacing Nani with a bloody defensive midfielder - that would have sent us into the England-Spain-Italy-Germany-France side of the tree? He's lucky that Iceland scored in the last minute and sent us qualifying as one of the best third placed.
    Those last five minutes were a total shame. Just Hungary passing the ball around and no one bloody pressed them.

We won't go much far with such mentality. A group with bloody Iceland, Hungary and Austria and we qualify with three fucking ties? While playing like shit and having to offer sacrifices for a clear chance at scoring? He can go fuck himself.

Ivysaur

Years
  • And the fun thing is, now Portugal probably has the cleanest run to the final... I'd say if the team hadn't been able to finish behind Iceland.

Years
  • So Round of 16... England loses 2-1 to Iceland.

It was shocking enough seeing the Icelandic team qualify for the knockout stages, and now they've eliminated a big name footballing nation from the tournament.

Seriously, Iceland are being the underdog that is defining our expectations. They are making this Euro very interesting if you ask me.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • England's team is full of self-importance, that's why they lost. They're like a better Romania or something, and what's funny is that many people actually thought they will win the Euro.

Iceland sure is awesome, I mean their population is as big as the city I live in! They should be respected. And now they are in the quarter-finals. I hope they get rid of France too. I could see players such as Sigurdsson scoring against them, but Griezmann will be hard to stop.

Ivysaur

Years
  • #Iceland4Champion

#GoIceland

No, seriously, it's the first time they ever play an international tournament and they have already embarrassed Portugal and England. Obviously they have more than "won" their tournament just by making it to the Quarterfinals, and France and Ita/Ger will be deadly for most everyone, but god damn it, Greece pulled it off in 2004, why not now?

Ivysaur

Years
  • #Iceland4Champion

#GoIceland

No, seriously, it's the first time they ever play an international tournament and they have already embarrassed Portugal and England. Obviously they have more than "won" their tournament just by making it to the Quarterfinals, and France and Ita/Ger will be deadly for most everyone, but god damn it, Greece pulled it off in 2004, why not now?

Years
  • I just hope Portugal will win this, actually the reason for this is because I played a bet in that, lol.
    Otherwise, ITALY all the way! My opinion is that they should have won more than 2-0 yesterday, They deserve it.
    Greece pulled it off in 2004, why not now?
    That's right, I was so happy back then about our success.
    But I think that Greece had a better team then than Iceland now.
    We Had Karagounis,Katsouranis,Charisteas,Zagorakis. These were very good players but still, of course not good as Zidane and the whole France and Portugal team.
    Anyway, I would love to see that kind of surprise in Euro again.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2016
    The Euros have been super disappointing until the knockout stages. Things are getting more interesting now. But I can't believe Belgium lost to Wales -_-

Gabri

m8
    Years
  • Belgium suffers from a syndrome similar to Portugal's: Great players, but can't play jack as a team. Because of a coach that doesn't know how to use the players. And at least in Portugal's case, a coach that thinks he's still coaching Greece and is stuck in the 1960's.

And yes, this is me being the first to call on a Wales vs Germany final. I'd put money on that. Our luck won't last forever. And the Welsh are far more of a team than we are.

Years
  • Belgium suffers from a syndrome similar to Portugal's: Great players, but can't play jack as a team. Because of a coach that doesn't know how to use the players.

Something we English have basically accepted as our DNA.

This tournament has been pretty bad relatively, I always watch every game of Euros/World Cup usually, but I've skipped quite a few games and had others in the background.

Years
  • Looks like the underdog named Iceland's run is over. France beat them 5-2, but then again France were undefeated on their own turf so I saw the French win coming. Anyways, Germany will be the next hurdle for the French in the semis.

Back