• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
  • He's a great finisher but I'm glad we got RVW over him in the end. Pretty sure that if we wanted him we'd have him by now, I just hope he goes to QPR soon so the speculation goes away.

Young players blow hot and cold, still plenty of time for him to flourish. All I can say is I hope he's better at football than he is at picking haircuts.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • Could say that about most young footballers who think they're playboys? Have you seen Raheem Sterling's new trim?

Spoiler:

YogiOne

Fantasy Dreamer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2016
    Sterling comes from Jamaica and everyone here doesn't know whether to laugh or be mad that he has a haircut like that. So everyone is just shaking their heads but no one really expects better from him, he isn't the master of best judgement.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Haha, that is horrendous.
    The Thiago saga was incredibly frustrating for me as a United fan, and I can see Cesc going the same way. Tbh we have more chance of signing someone from Italy...considering Giaccherini, an Italy international, is moving to Sunderland xD.
    I can either see Moyes turning up one day with Ronaldo, or us having a summer like City did last year and then just hoping the squad's improved enough to match up. If Nani hit form again we'd be unstoppable, tbh - on a bad day he's a shadow of 2004 Ronaldo, but on a good day he's a shadow of the current Ronaldo. Shame he only has about two a year, one of which will be in a match.

What's everyone's opinions on the Rooney saga? I personally see him staying - the hair transplant and his maneuvre for more money in 2010 suggests he has a bit of a brain on him somewhere. If he does go though, I hope it's abroad - for the good of the England team if nothing else (everybody goes on about how many Spaniards in La Liga etc. compared to Englishmen in the PL - what about the Englishmen outside of GB? Beckham was the last high profile one).

Years
  • Well Barton was playing there last season so little surprise there. :P

Perhaps Sterling's hair is an attempt to prevent him from fathering another child at the age of 18.

As for Rooney, I'm not bothered where he ends up so long as he moves. We've had lots of exciting transfers abroad and in the PL's mid table, but the big PL clubs are letting us down. Fabregas would've been interesting, Suarez would've been interesting and it looks like Rooney isn't moving either. I want a big transfer happening.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Seems that Italian guy as said nope to Norwich. Bar RVW Hoots hasn't had the best of luck with signing strikers. Missed out on targets last summer, ended up with a rubbish loanee from Spuds. Hooper saga, Toivenen and Quags supposedly saying nope.

Next Sky Italy report says we're going after Maxi López. Not sure if want.

YogiOne

Fantasy Dreamer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2016
    Their signings might not seem as lavish as some in previous seasons but Man City have really strengthened their squad so far. Navas, Fernandinho and Negrado(pending a medical) they seem a stronger squad right now.

Hulk to Monaco although I don't really think he's a great player, it just continues to show the monetary strength that they have and are just creating a really good side. Even sending out a warning for the 2014/2015 champions league.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Tito Vilanova is leaving Barça due to his cancer, which is only getting worse by the day. Now the team have the small problem of having to find a new coaching team in mid-July. It's going to be a lot of fun for them, I expect.

Rumours say they'll get Rubi, from 2nd division team Girona, although we are expecting news in half an hour.

I'll try to talk about Illarramendi as soon as I figure out myself what's so great about him XD

Years
  • Their signings might not seem as lavish as some in previous seasons but Man City have really strengthened their squad so far. Navas, Fernandinho and Negrado(pending a medical) they seem a stronger squad right now.

Hulk to Monaco although I don't really think he's a great player, it just continues to show the monetary strength that they have and are just creating a really good side. Even sending out a warning for the 2014/2015 champions league.

Add Jovetic to that list. I feel bad for poor Dzeko, he's a great striker and will probably now be pushed aside like many good strikers of recent years in Man City history.

Tito Vilanova is leaving Barça due to his cancer, which is only getting worse by the day. Now the team have the small problem of having to find a new coaching team in mid-July. It's going to be a lot of fun for them, I expect.

Rumours say they'll get Rubi, from 2nd division team Girona, although we are expecting news in half an hour.

I'll try to talk about Illarramendi as soon as I figure out myself what's so great about him XD

I wish they went for a big name appointment rather than continuing their recent tradition. Although if they were going to think small as I assume they are, you would think they would appoint the guy who took charge in Vilanova's absence.

Logan

Years
  • Their signings might not seem as lavish as some in previous seasons but Man City have really strengthened their squad so far. Navas, Fernandinho and Negrado(pending a medical) they seem a stronger squad right now.

If he doesn't have an outstanding season from the get-go Fernandinho has the potential to be one of the worst signings of all-time. 34 Million for a 28 year-old with barely any Brazil caps to his name is ludicrous.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
    Years
  • Basically what Manipulation said. It isn't really convincing, I'd have preferred Paulinho.
    Also Gerardo Martino is the new coach of Barca. Not exactly reassuring.

Years
  • I think Barcelona will do just fine. I imagine Messi has a personal friendship with him to pull this off. Of course I hope I'm wrong and Ronaldo & Madrid take the title instead.

Boro have been linked with too many players and not pulled it off. Now it looks like we'll re-sign Ross Turnbull. The season starts in a week and a half, we're so doomed.

There has still no big transfers either, Fabregas, Suarez, Bale, Rooney, please someone move.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Norwich still only have 2 first team strikers, wasn't really expecting anyone to join whist the team are away on this US tour though I suppose. No new rumours but the Quagliarella, Vidra and Maxi Lopez ones refuse to go away. If they get a couple of strikers of that class and some central defensive competition for Bass/Turner I think we'll have a rather exciting team on our hands.

lel
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Even if he scores 15 - 20 goals for Norwich this season I doubt he'd get into the England squad. That place is reserved for Danny Welbeck or some Arsenal reserve player.

Hearing about him from Celtic fans, reading some quotes and looking at his career to date I don't think he'll drop from playing Champions League football to the Championship, especially with Cirque du 'Arry. To be honest I thought the Norwich interest was dead and a move to West Ham was on the cards but now that doesn't seem the case. Waiting for QPR to do the work of negotiating and then matching it is pretty funny.

If it is true it could quite possibly be the support act for an even bigger move. At 5 million pounds, 3 of which the club have already made up through player sales, a big portion of the transfer budget will still be left over. Hooper is a pretty similar player to Wolfswinkel so I can't really see them playing together very often, a gifted supporting striker is what is needed. Quagliarella might really happen.

Years
  • Well a good season could certainly fire him into contention. I hope to god Welbeck doesn't make that plane personally.

As I've said before, it all looks very promising for Norwich. After failing to sign anyone from a large selection of players Mowbray wanted, he seems to have given up and believes we'll be fine as we are. A bad season looms for Boro.

Logan

Years
  • I read some statistics on Welbeck the other day that really summed him up. He was involved in only 1 of United's goals last year whilst spending a ridiculous amount of time on the pitch (and shooting off target for that matter) and he still got a PFA nomination for YPotY.

Back