• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Years
    Oh, Casillas... He should be dropped next game.

https://gfycat.com/TheseDeficientAppaloosa
    https://gfycat.com/HeartyHardtofindClam

Edit: Torres you idiot.

The Football Discussion Thread!

Last edited:

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    Sweet, sweet revenge by the Dutch here. Well done the Netherlands.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Much more interesting than the final in 2010. At least until Spain fell apart and could find no answers, then I was sort of just watching to see how much higher the scoreline would be, there were certainly chances for this to have been a bigger blow out. Game of the day so far, that second one from Robben was beautiful.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I wonder how Chile v Australia is gonna turn out? I might go with Chile 2-0.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    I'm really scared for our opening match against the Netherlands :\

There we go.

Well, to be honest, I was expecting this. Not that terrible, but certainly not much better. Time for some serious clean-up work.

Sweet, sweet revenge by the Dutch here. Well done the Netherlands.

#TenemohUna

Last edited:

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    In all honesty, I thought it might have finished 3-3. I was expecting at least 6 goals and I was right.

Years
    So the Chile vs Australia match will be starting in a few minutes. I'm sure this will probably be the only one my nation may have a chance at winning, but I'm hoping in the next matches they can pull more upsets.

I bet any of my Australian cohorts might be planning to watch the game right now, and I know Chile isn't as much of a powerhouse on the level compared to the Netherlands or Spain.

And apparently the Netherlands defeated Spain 5-1 in their match, seems like the Spanish may not be as strong as we expect this time around. Still, hoping for an interesting fight in the Chile vs Australia match. It'll probably be a close one imo.

Ivysaur

Years
    So the Chile vs Australia match will be starting in a few minutes. I'm sure this will probably be the only one my nation may have a chance at winning, but I'm hoping in the next matches they can pull more upsets.

I bet any of my Australian cohorts might be planning to watch the game right now, and I know Chile isn't as much of a powerhouse on the level compared to the Netherlands or Spain.

And apparently the Netherlands defeated Spain 5-1 in their match, seems like the Spanish may not be as strong as we expect this time around.

Chile is much better than us right now and they are playing in South America, which always helps teams from that zone. Australia will suffer a lot to get any points, unless we have given up by then.

Years
    Chile is much better than us right now and they are playing in South America, which always helps teams from that zone. Australia will suffer a lot to get any points, unless we have given up by then.

I have to admit it may be kinda surprising if Spain does get eliminated in the group stage, if your theory about the Chileans performing well on South American turf is right. Still, from what I heard the Spaniards didn't do very well in that loss to the Netherlands.

Maybe my biggest threat now will be the Dutch instead of the Spanish lol

Ivysaur

Years
    I have to admit it may be kinda surprising if Spain does get eliminated in the group stage, if your theory about the Chileans performing well on South American turf is right. Still, from what I heard the Spaniards didn't do very well in that loss to the Netherlands.

Maybe my biggest threat now will be the Dutch instead of the Spanish lol

Actually my bets are

1 - Netherlands 7pt
    2 - Chile 7/5pt
    3 - Spain 3/4 pt
    4 - Australia 0 pt

Years
    Actually my bets are

1 - Netherlands 6pt
    2 - Chile 6/4pt
    3 - Spain 3/4 pt
    4 - Australia 0 pt

Now that is kinda baffling... you think all of Australia's opposition will be so strong it'll leave the Socceroos with nothing. I am expecting to probably fail in the group stage but there may be a plot twister every now and then like in the Spain-Netherlands match earlier.

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2015

I wouldn't underestimate Chile. They beat us 2-0 at Wembley and we were lucky to only lose by two. Sanchez and Vargas are very good

Ivysaur

Years
    Now that is kinda baffling... you think all of Australia's opposition will be so strong it'll leave the Socceroos with nothing. I am expecting to probably fail in the group stage but there may be a plot twister every now and then like in the Spain-Netherlands match earlier.

I'll be extremely and positively surprised if Australia manages to scrap even a single point, yes. Although that could make the group crazy enough for us to qualify, I sincerely doubt it will happen.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023

Australia will need to play better than they ever have to get beyond the group stage. Even their best shot at getting three points is a fairly stronger team than them. And as bad as Spain played today, there isn't a lot of doubt that they'll be able to take on Australia.

(though I'm more interested in who will finish on top since Mexico will likely face them if they make it to the second round)

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    I'm pretty sure Spain will win their next two games.

Chile are a really good side. Looking forward for seeing Cahill again though.

Years
    I'll be extremely and positively surprised if Australia manages to scrap even a single point, yes. Although that could make the group crazy enough for us to qualify, I sincerely doubt it will happen.

Australia will need to play better than they ever have to get beyond the group stage. Even their best shot at getting three points is a fairly stronger team than them. And as bad as Spain played today, there isn't a lot of doubt that they'll be able to take on Australia.

(though I'm more interested in who will finish on top since Mexico will likely face them if they make it to the second round)

Yeah I know they'll have to play at their best after learning the strengths of the Chilean team, but yeah I think the end result will be a close one. I know the real horror is that there will be a risk of facing Brazil should we pass through the group stage, and god no-one loves facing Brazil.

I'm watching the game on SBS right now here in my own bedroom, and the game's about to start so let's pray we can scrape through this one since Chile are apparently rated by betting figures right now as the favorites to win this match.

(teams are still singing national anthems as I was posting this)

Back