• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2015
    The amount cahill heads the ball I'm surprised he can still walk straight. He must have a head of steel.
    Does he take penalties with his head too? I'd love to see it

Gabri

m8
    Years
  • Nice match we have here. Australia is basically Cahill and Bresciano, but they're fighting well.

EDIT: Vidal, he mad.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    Very nearly 3-1 to Chile. Cleared just off the line by Australia.

Years
  • Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Okay. So Australia is still most likely going to be unceremoniously dumped off in the group stages but this has been truly remarkable.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Welp.

It was a good effort from Australia, I actually think the teams were mostly even, but Chile did a better job at closing.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    Well, Chile have the 3 points. 3-1 Chile now. Fireworks were heard also.

Years
  • I think I have lost faith in the Australians now, guess I might lean my support towards the Netherlands from here on following their amazing thrashing of Spain. Australia's performance in the loss to Chile was so abysmal.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • I wasn't, the only standout was Cahill. As soon as Chile got their first two goals in a short period of time I knew Australia were going to be the huge weaklings here.

And yet, with just that little, they were this close from actually coming back. I guess you are so disappointed because you expected more and I'm so impressed because I was expecting a 5-0 trashing XD

Years
  • And yet, with just that little, they were this close from actually coming back. I guess you are so disappointed because you expected more and I'm so impressed because I was expecting a 5-0 trashing XD

At least I know Chile's potential to be a good contender now so I'll see how well they'll do in their remaining matches. My real attention will be on the Dutch.

Gabri

m8
    Years
  • The Aussies fought well there. Chile is a nice team and will be a challenge for both the Dutch and the Spaniards.

England vs Italy tomorrow, looking forward to it. England brought a lot of youngsters and I want to see how they will do in such a competition. But Andrea Pirlo makes me root for Italy.

(Too bad Zlatan is not in the World Cup, but it was either us or him.)

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2015
    At least I know Chile's potential to be a good contender now so I'll see how well they'll do in their remaining matches. My real attention will be on the Dutch.

Relax a little the tournament has just started, wait till you see the Germans and Argentinians play

Gabri

m8
    Years
  • Relax a little the tournament has just started, wait till you see the Germans and Argentinians play

The Germans scare me the most. Even with today's steamroller performance, I'd rather face the Netherlands a million times over Germany.
    We haven't done anything good against them for a long time and they have only been getting stronger in the last few years. As for the Dutch, we have beat them in our last matches and their defense doesn't seem half as good as Germany's to me.

Also, I believe that the surprise this year will be Belgium. They have a really nice squad and will certainly do well, and I will have my attention on them.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Okay. So Australia is still most likely going to be unceremoniously dumped off in the group stages but this has been truly remarkable.
    This sums it up well imo.
    I think I have lost faith in the Australians now, guess I might lean my support towards the Netherlands from here on following their amazing thrashing of Spain. Australia's performance in the loss to Chile was so abysmal.
    C'mon, Hikamaru, we were not bad, let alone abysmal. Outclassed, yes, but we were up against Chile. Reading back it seems you thought they were out best chance for points, but I have to disagree, their form prior to the match was great and really, every single team in this group are expected to beat us and beat us comfortably. Even our 2006 squad - the golden generation - would have struggled to get a point from this group.

Consider then a spat of injuries (Kruse, Rogic, Kennady), retirements, and a rather new coach (because ours was truly poor, kinda lucky we qualified tbh with him!) and a very young team... to not be embarrassed is really a good result for us, realistically speaking.

While the end scoreline suggests that it was a comfortable win, it was a much closer match and we gave them a run for their money. Their third goal at the end was rather like Brazil's against Croatia - a late finisher helped by us pushing forward trying to find the equaliser, that's always a risk

Poor start with the defense - personally not much we could do with the first, the second though our defense was shellshocked and both of our CBs went to their left leaving that player open. After that they did a better job - excellent scrambling by Wilkinson with that goalline clearance. We put pressure on them, had some nice crosses, and Cahill did what he does best. Our CDMs did decently as well. Oar was kinda disappointing for me, and Leckie was hot and cold. Pity about Franjic, I doubt he'll play in the next game and we only have the one other true RB player now.

Anyways, I expected a loss, and disappointed we did, and the first part of the game was bad. But we got back into it, and I'd say we can hold our head high with how we played overall. Onto the next match, and more so the future of the team, it looks better than it did a year ago.

Back