• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
  • I'm in again, should do better this season now I can't pick Norwich players.

>transfer news at carra rud over the last month
    The Football Discussion Thread!

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • This time in 2 weeks the entire first round of Champs games will have been played. Considering we still have Ruddy, Olsson, Fer, Wolf, Hooper and Redmond I'm pretty excited. Surely we aren't going to do a Southampton and let most of them go now.

Also Blackpool still only have 8 players. RIP in peace .

Last edited:
    Years
  • My girlfriend's dad is from Blackpool so obviously supports them and he has lost any hope of them staying up. The odd thing is in that trialist heavy lineup they fielded in a friendly, most of the trialists would be players good enough to keep them up in my opinion. No chance of any of them being signed though given the ridiculous contracts the owners try to hand out.

Also you're excited by Van Wolfswinkel still being there? I know it's only the Championship but still.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • We could have had David Villa in his prime last season and he would have struggled. More excited about Wolf still being here than I am Hooper and he somehow managed 6 last season. I am confident that with a set up that actually aims to create chances for the forwards he will flourish. Can actually only remember van Wolfseinkel missing 2 easy opportunities, I bet van Persie missed more than that.

I also think he'll benefit from having some variety up top with him. Last season we had;

van Wolfswinkel - Poacher
    Gary Hooper - Poacher
    Luciano Becchio - Eternally benched poacher
    Johan Elmander - Overpaid lump that got games because he has a decent work rate

We didn't use a set up which favoured poachers and none of those players are quick. Snodgrass who was the main link between the midfield was probably the slowest of the bunch. Of course we did have Redmond but I think he only crossed the ball once all season and all but one of his shots hit the stand.

We have added;

Lewis Grabban - Pacey all rounder
    Kyle Lafferty - Target man

Those two will allow the poachers to play their natural game.

Also it seems that Wes Hoolahan will be reborn under Adams, same with our other creative midfielder Andrew Surman. As it stands I am expecting good things.

On the topic of poachers it looks like your lot have gotten yourselves a nice one from Spain. Hadn't noticed that.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Yeah, I think I mentioned it earlier on in the thread. I mean I'm not certain, but it's not everyday we spend £3m on anyone so I imagine I did. It's a bit of a risk for a team that has cost cut for quite a few years, but hopefully it will pay off.

I forgot about Norwich picking up Grabban, quite the selection of strikers to choose from then. You should really going straight back up then, hopefully Fulham & Cardiff will screw up to leave room for other teams (like us). I have nothing against Fulham and they're a team that has been Premier League since I was a kid so it feels wrong for them to be here, but it would be hilarious for £11m on McCormack to backfire completely and they stay down.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Was b& when you made the post about him it seems. Can't say I know anything about the guy but his goal record speaks for itself. Also if he can score in the second tier in Spain I'm sure he can here. Is there any substance to the rumours that Boro are going after Jelle Vossen? If that's true then I'd expect your lot will be unstoppable on FM15.

McCormack's fee was crazy, I know Fulham have a loaded owner and they've got parachute payments but still, £11m for a 27 year old with no experience higher than the Champs. For hat sort of fee I'm sure they could have signed Jordan Rhodes, whilst he isn't as versatile he's just as proven at this level and he's 3 years younger.

Whilst I don't hate Fulham I'd certainly rather they were a league below my lot. We rarely play well against them and when we do we still lose. Have been cursed ever since that 6 - 0 game which saw us go down and WBA pull off their 'great escape'.

Of the relegated teams it seems Cardiff have had the most eventful summer. It's like OGS and Tan are playing Football Manager. Guido Burgstaller, Juan Cala, Kagisho Dikgacoi, Adam Le Fondre, Javi Guerra and Federico Macheda. Probably a few decent players there but I'm pretty sure this is not how you build a successful team.

I haven't seen much of Grabban but he seems to have hit form last season. 22 goals in 44 games is pretty fantastic. Of course he's only had 1 season like that at this level but in our current financial state the £3m fee is not going to kill us even if it goes tits up.

I'm pretty happy with our squad as it stand but we could do with a bit of defensive over. I think Seb Bassong will be sold meaning we only have 3 first team central defenders and 1 right back (Adams likes captain Russell Martin at CB). Also think we could do with another left sided midfielder because Pilks is made out of glass and Josh Murphy is still untested at this level. A double swoop of Dundee United's John Souttar and Gary Mackay-Steven would cover 2 of those positions.

Years
  • Was b& when you made the post about him it seems. Can't say I know anything about the guy but his goal record speaks for itself. Also if he can score in the second tier in Spain I'm sure he can here. Is there any substance to the rumours that Boro are going after Jelle Vossen? If that's true then I'd expect your lot will be unstoppable on FM15.

Apparently we're closing in on that deal for around £5million I believe, I hope so because we've been lacking up front for a good while. Kike has scored 3 in 4 for us which is pretty decent, although it's pre-season he seems a good player!

Years

McCormack's fee was crazy, I know Fulham have a loaded owner and they've got parachute payments but still, £11m for a 27 year old with no experience higher than the Champs. For hat sort of fee I'm sure they could have signed Jordan Rhodes, whilst he isn't as versatile he's just as proven at this level and he's 3 years younger.

Whilst I don't hate Fulham I'd certainly rather they were a league below my lot. We rarely play well against them and when we do we still lose. Have been cursed ever since that 6 - 0 game which saw us go down and WBA pull off their 'great escape'.

Of the relegated teams it seems Cardiff have had the most eventful summer. It's like OGS and Tan are playing Football Manager. Guido Burgstaller, Juan Cala, Kagisho Dikgacoi, Adam Le Fondre, Javi Guerra and Federico Macheda. Probably a few decent players there but I'm pretty sure this is not how you build a successful team.

I haven't seen much of Grabban but he seems to have hit form last season. 22 goals in 44 games is pretty fantastic. Of course he's only had 1 season like that at this level but in our current financial state the £3m fee is not going to kill us even if it goes tits up.

I'm pretty happy with our squad as it stand but we could do with a bit of defensive over. I think Seb Bassong will be sold meaning we only have 3 first team central defenders and 1 right back (Adams likes captain Russell Martin at CB). Also think we could do with another left sided midfielder because Pilks is made out of glass and Josh Murphy is still untested at this level. A double swoop of Dundee United's John Souttar and Gary Mackay-Steven would cover 2 of those positions.

Wow that's surprising that you were banned, I did notice you didn't post as much around the end of the World Cup.

Anyway with Vossen, I'm always very sceptical about these 'pursuits' because some of them in the past have just been clear bs such as Danny Graham for £5m in Jan 2013 or Pizzi/Eduardo Vargas last summer. So in my mind we aren't signing him until he actually does sign, but from a less sceptical person's point of view it seems a bit less likely now too because Feyenoord supposedly want him now. We're apparently signing Bamford on loan from Chelsea so that would close any need for a striker I guess.

I had the exact same thought about Rhodes when Fulham signed McCormack, surely it would have made a lot more sense to sign him instead.

I can see pretty much all of those Cardiff signings flopping and it will be very fun to see happen. I just wish there was a way for it to happen without it affecting OGS negatively.

I thought Grabban played great when he visited the Riverside last season. He didn't score, but I remember he looked dangerous every time they came forward. I'm sure he'll do at least a good job at Norwich. I can't really see any reason why you wouldn't go straight back up unless Neil Adams turns out to be inept.

I just read last night about Norwich's 13-0 mix up. Quite a funny story for a club like that to misunderstand who their opponents were. Either way I'm sure it was a nice confidence booster.

Apparently we're closing in on that deal for around £5million I believe, I hope so because we've been lacking up front for a good while. Kike has scored 3 in 4 for us which is pretty decent, although it's pre-season he seems a good player!

Another person from Middlesbrough? It's a small world. Welcome to the forum and the football thread, fellow smoggie.

Saw this on my twitter timeline and I burst out laughing:

Spoiler:

Wonder who's gonna have less players by the start of the season, Southampton or Blackpool...?

Oh dear, please tell me the Carrick image isn't an official thing. Hopefully this will be his last proper season for United.

I couldn't believe it when I read Arsenal wanted Chambers for £16m and now it's completed. If they also sign Schneiderlin and Liverpool sign Jay Rodriguez then they must set some sort of record for transfer income in one window. They still have Osvaldo to get rid of yet as well. If they use this money right and they get another generation of talent (looks reasonably positive with Sam Gallagher and of course they still have Ward-Prowse) then they should have a great team for years to come soon. Obviously this season could backfire horribly though.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Blackpool signed a plethora of foreign players who desperately want to play in England who might take the awful wages for a chance to show their ability in the league. I can imagine that's the only reason Zenjov joined them. They will be the ultimate FM challenge next season.

Now to play FM because this has randomly got me in the mood for it...

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
  • Oh dear, please tell me the Carrick image isn't an official thing. Hopefully this will be his last proper season for United.

I couldn't believe it when I read Arsenal wanted Chambers for £16m and now it's completed. If they also sign Schneiderlin and Liverpool sign Jay Rodriguez then they must set some sort of record for transfer income in one window. They still have Osvaldo to get rid of yet as well. If they use this money right and they get another generation of talent (looks reasonably positive with Sam Gallagher and of course they still have Ward-Prowse) then they should have a great team for years to come soon. Obviously this season could backfire horribly though.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Blackpool signed a plethora of foreign players who desperately want to play in England who might take the awful wages for a chance to show their ability in the league. I can imagine that's the only reason Zenjov joined them. They will be the ultimate FM challenge next season.

Now to play FM because this has randomly got me in the mood for it...

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/493700905217564672 It's the real deal, buddy.

Southampton have a lot of money, but they need to use it correctly. They could be relegated if they screw it up majorly, but if they get like a couple of key signings and the youth shine for them, they could really be a force to be reckoned with.

Blackpool and Southampton could both be fun to play on FM by the sounds of it; I've never played it myself, but is it realistic in terms of the whole "selling your key players is very hard to fix" factor?

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Our Italian tour was screw up after screw up. Both teams we were supposed to be playing cancelled. Then of course there was what appears to be a miscommunication with the side that did turn up to play us at the 11th hour. Safe to say we won't be going back there next summer.

Squad for our friendly tonight has been announced. Slightly worried about the omission of Martin Olsson, hopefully he's just picked up a slight knock. Also two young strikers that have 1 Norwich game between them are ahead of Becchio, safe to say he will be off soon.

Years
  • https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/493700905217564672 It's the real deal, buddy.

Southampton have a lot of money, but they need to use it correctly. They could be relegated if they screw it up majorly, but if they get like a couple of key signings and the youth shine for them, they could really be a force to be reckoned with.

Blackpool and Southampton could both be fun to play on FM by the sounds of it; I've never played it myself, but is it realistic in terms of the whole "selling your key players is very hard to fix" factor?

Oh dear United, oh dear.

They've got even more money now, I wondered why Pochettino hadn't signed up any of his Soton players yet earlier and it looks like he's taking two at once now.

As for surviving after selling key players, I wouldn't really know because I'm usually very stubborn on it and never sell my key players. Whenever they've gotten old on my saves, it's quite difficult to replace them unless I'm rich.

Squad for our friendly tonight has been announced. Slightly worried about the omission of Martin Olsson, hopefully he's just picked up a slight knock. Also two young strikers that have 1 Norwich game between them are ahead of Becchio, safe to say he will be off soon.

I'm sure Cellino would love him at Leeds to appeal to the fans.

I am indeed, total small world! Thank you! We'll be in the premiership next season haha.

Here's hoping, I'll just be happy with any advance on 12th this season to be honest. /pessimism

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Norwich City FC @NorwichCityFC · 18m
    FULL-TIME: Norwich City 5-1 OGC Nice. #NCFC #OGCN

So my pre-match prediction that we would have our first genuine test of the summer was a bit off.

Not sure Leeds could afford him.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2014
    So, just dropping in. Anybody a Crystal Palace fan here? Or a sympathiser?

On another topic, Southampton seem to be heading to a large exodus this Summer. Jay Rodriguez and Morgan to Tottenham looks done.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Looks like some wheels are about to move on some transfers down here. Seems as if we will be going for an ex-Boro player, Gary O'Neil on a free. I believe he has moved deeper as his career has progressed , for that reason he should complement our remaining central midfielders pretty well. Most probably means the rumours about Tettey moving to Sunderland are true. Also 95% sure Leroy Fer will be off, we'll be getting somewhere near £10m so I'd be hoping a bit more than a freebie replacement for him.

Lukaku finally moves.

Back