• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The 'Fun' Factor

Ravecat

I'm Right.
Years
  • There is something that troubles me about Pokémon.
    These days, how many people still play for fun?

I often find people talking about what Pokémon they use during the story, and how they train them. Sometimes even asking for advice on how to prepare a proper team.
    Now, personally, I just begin my journey with my starter and improvise from there; what's the fun in playing the game in a generic way, just so you can have the best stats?
    How do you like to play? Only catching and training Pokémon with great stats and giving them the best move-sets, or just playing around with your favourites and trying to make a team you can bond with?

Then there's the issue of EV training. Now, I'm guilty of it, naturally, for online battles. But I've recently realized people actually do this throughout the main story.
    It seems these are also the people complaining that Pokémon is too easy, but I digress.
    I honestly couldn't stand EV training throughout the storyline; I don't even grind. It would ruin my flow, and suck the fun completely out of the game for me.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you still have 'fun' playing Pokémon, be it through simply the adventure or something more technical, or do you just play it for the sake of completing it as efficiently as possible?

AuraGaurdian

Protector of auras
    Years
  • I play for fun heck I wouldnt play it if it wasnt fun,but stats do play a big part in the game so Im kinda in between I play for fun and I try to play effeiciently I guess u could say I find it fun to play efficiently.;)
    plus because I play it I want to meet people who play it aswell so I come here to chat to my friends about the game I love to play.
    and in the end playing having fun making friends AND competing for stats are all part of the same game Pokemon so isnt being together and playing the game wathever way we feel is fun and enjoyable what pokemons all about?
    At least thats what I think anyway.;)

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
  • That's perfectly reasonable.

I didn't mean to make it seem like I don't think stats are fun, just how I personally feel about going through the story mode. :)

Sage Harpuia

Hey, listen
    Years
  • I always play for fun, just like you.
    I choose the pokemons that I like more, and my EV training is like this: "oh, my pokemon has low *insert stat here*; I check bulbapedia for pokemon that gives the right EV and I make my pokemon fight them.

dooxer

42 or not 42
    Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2013
    i hate ev training, so i just play the game. though to make it interesting, i choose different teams each time. sometimes i unofficially do challenges lol

mattman324

Run to the hills, run for your lives!
    Years
  • I play for fun.

Watching my trained pokemon beat everything else in sight to a bloody pulp is very fun.

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
  • I play for fun and stop playing when it isn't fun.

For example, I played through the story mode, I did all the necessary things afterwards, and now I have nothing to do but grind or rematch. I find neither fun, so I've hung out in the Battle Frontier for the last month or so. Thus, I have not "finished" the game by battling Red.

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    I'm not entirely sure what EV training is, so I suppose I play for the fun. :p
    Right now I'm mainly doing the challenges, though!

Reina

pandasaur!
    Years
  • I mean, to each their own, but I personally think it's dumb to train your pokemon to be "5up3r h4rdc0r3" (someone ACTUALLY used this "term" in describing their pokemon to me before, I'm dead serious), I personally just like to go with the flow, get a pokemon I think looks cool, and just raise a team that way, but hey- that's just me. I've been doing it since I got my first pokemon game and I've no doubts I'm going to keep doing it xP

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • -> I hate IVs, EVs and everything around them. <-

WHY ? It is the thing that sucks out the fun of the games ! :(
    One of my friends travelled to England few years ago for the VGC (DP days). Of course that he was playing like me : with favourites, un EVd. ANd he got wiped out bby some guy who happened to advance to the next stage ... o_O Lol, he was mad about Pokemon like Salamence and Tyranitar. My poor friend ...

So no, I just play for fun. I am into nuzlocking currently, some sort of a challenge which is really catchy and entertaining ! ;)

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
  • I play for fun. When I get bored of leveling in SoulSilver, I play Platinum's battle frontier for a while. If I find a game boring, I just don't play it. Who says I can't go back and play Voltorb Flip after I beat the fifth gym?

Simply put, I play for my own enjoyment and nothing will ever change that.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • -> I hate IVs, EVs and everything around them. <-

WHY ? It is the thing that sucks out the fun of the games ! :(
    One of my friends travelled to England few years ago for the VGC (DP days). Of course that he was playing like me : with favourites, un EVd. ANd he got wiped out bby some guy who happened to advance to the next stage ... o_O Lol, he was mad about Pokemon like Salamence and Tyranitar. My poor friend ...

So no, I just play for fun. I am into nuzlocking currently, some sort of a challenge which is really catchy and entertaining ! ;)

Agreed. I find the competitive addons of R/S/E (Natures/EVs/etc) tedious at best. Has anyone noticed how much more difficult HG / SS are due to there being things that weren't in G/S/C like natures and EVs and whatnot?

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
  • Er, keep in mind that everybody has a different definition of what's "fun." To a lot of people, playing competitively, building teams, EV training, etc. is all fun to them. To other people, doing contests is fun. Some people find shiny hunting fun, and so on.

Yes, I play the game just to play the game. Once I beat everything though, then I get into EV training and breeding. I'm still new to competitive battling, but I find it all very interesting, and knowing the more complex aspects to the game makes it more fun to me. I get bored looking for shinies or doing contests, and there's really no other reason for me to keep playing once I beat the Elite Four (or what have you).

Benjamin510

The King of Typio's!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2016
    Er, keep in mind that everybody has a different definition of what's "fun." To a lot of people, playing competitively, building teams, EV training, etc. is all fun to them. To other people, doing contests is fun. Some people find shiny hunting fun, and so on.

Yes, I play the game just to play the game. Once I beat everything though, then I get into EV training and breeding. I'm still new to competitive battling, but I find it all very interesting, and knowing the more complex aspects to the game makes it more fun to me. I get bored looking for shinies or doing contests, and there's really no other reason for me to keep playing once I beat the Elite Four (or what have you).

Yes, This is what i think. Also Trying the complete the pokedex is fun!

I mean, to each their own, but I personally think it's dumb to train your pokemon to be "5up3r h4rdc0r3" (someone ACTUALLY used this "term" in describing their pokemon to me before, I'm dead serious), I personally just like to go with the flow, get a pokemon I think looks cool, and just raise a team that way, but hey- that's just me. I've been doing it since I got my first pokemon game and I've no doubts I'm going to keep doing it xP

Yes this is also right. I do both this and the quote above this one. Thats right. Half the pokemon I use are pokemon I like, for In game, Training for competive. Just combine both of these and you got me.

beca

◔_____◔
    Years
  • I play for fun. I haven't attempted the whole EV training thing yet...I only found out what it was a few days ago xD

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
    Years
  • I play the game with a little planned out team. And I just go with the flow. But when I finish I start EV training and everything else. I considered EV training my Zangoose for 3 hours was fun. I'm probably going to get a AR JUST for cloning so I can trade or donate Pokemon for give aways.

I find this enjoyable. That's how I play. I haven't made a competitive team yet. But I've been making BF teams too. So yeah.Don't call me a fun sucker. I just play the fun way. xD

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
  • You're right, everyone's definition of fun is different. That's why I'm asking you what's fun! :D

Great responses so far guys, a pleasure to read.

Years
  • For fun. I tried competitive battling once or twice, but I couldn't really get into it. I almost always play some kind of challenge as well, they're always more fun than a regular playthrough. Currently, that means:

this

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
  • above it all, pokemon is a strategy game combined with a thinly veiled collectathon.
    its interesting because you control colorful sprites to attack other colorful sprites until one bows down in submission. (viva piNata anyone?)

so yeah when i look at it that way i play the game to watch my pokemon fight to the death. (Call PETA) NOT for the strategy or collecting involved

Back