• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The future of video gaming (The extinction of discs)

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2012
    Nintendo was one of the last companies to switch to disc-based media to store games.

Downloadable games is already widely adopted (just look at Steam). Could computing is said to the way of the future. Games will no longer be stored locally (hence no downloading required), you may play online directly off Nintendo's server. All processing is done on Nintendo's end so no fancy hardware will be required. All that will be needed is an Internet connection and a receiver device. All your game files, logically, will be stored on Nintendo's servers as well. As Wifi becomes increasingly prevalent, this may actually be a practical method of gaming delivery.

Of course, people like me will resist this all the way. I want something tangible in my hands. I want a hardcopy that I can hold and play without an Internet connection.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    This reminds me of a video I watched about how paper will eventually be gone and all books will be online. Of course some agreed and some disagreed kinda like this thread.

I, myself can definitely see this happening in a few decades time. I don't think it'll happen very soon like Lightning mentioned. However I know I won't like this. After this I can't really drop by at a local gaming store and just see what the shelf has to offer and see them have clearance sales. I think clearance sales is like my main reason to buy games.

I also like to be able to get a new game that I like a lot and add the case to my shelf. Although if this did happen I don't see why the retail price shouldn't drop for the games. Another major issue with this idea is that your console could malfunction and you would essentially have loss all your games and quite possibly need to re-buy them. I don't know about America but here at Eb Games, they have policy that you can return a game within one week of purchase along with a receipt in case you didn't like it.

yaminokaitou

りゅうのマスター
    Years
    I don't like the idea at all. My wi-fi is unstable at best, so downloading games would cost me extra money and effort, as I'd need to fix my wi-fi problem. It's much easier just to go online with a computer and hit "order".

Plus, I like the physical packaging. None of the games I've downloaded to my Wii feel like REAL games because I have no packaging or a physical copy. To me they just feel like well done ROMs.

Evoli

All that glitters is not gold.
    Years
    I've always been into nostalgic things, so getting rid of discs is a thought that really bothers me. I don't think it's a bad idea to offer old titles from past consoles as DLC, but to release new games via download just doesn't sit well with me.

When I buy something, I want to be able to hold it in my hand and enjoy opening it up for the first time. Like someone else said, if you are going to make everything into DLC, then consoles might as well become obsolete. Why buy a piece of electronics that can only do one thing, when you've got computers nowadays that can do just about anything for you? Next thing you know we will have the Nintendo Wii 3 available as a software download for your home computer.

Back