• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Gameboy Turns 25 Years Old!

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • The Gameboy Turns 25 Years Old!
    The Gameboy Turns 25 Years Old!

Ah yes, Nintendo's original Game Boy launched on April 21, 1989 and has sold over 118 million units to date. Now, as of a few days ago, it turns 25 years of age! So gang, what memories do you hold most dear towards the Game Boy, if you ever had one, or played any game boy games? What were your favourite games on the game boy?

Any other thoughts? Share em' here!

Years
  • I never owned an original Game Boy myself, but I did have the chance to play on one. I owned a GBA SP, so every time I saw a GB game that looked like fun I tried it and bought it.

My favourite games (well the ones I can remember):

-Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow (of course)
    -MegaMan: Dr. Wily's Revenge
    -WarioLand: Super Mario Land 3 (best Wario game EVER)
    -Final Fantasy Legend (I don't remember wich one I owned)
    -Tetris.
    -Gargoyle's Quest
    -Metroid 2

Those are the ones I remember the most. Curiously, my mom had a GB back in the day (before I was born), and the only thing she kept after all the years was the Tetris cartridge that went to become mine.

So yeah, one of the best consoles ever, and paved for my all time favourite (the GBA SP). Yesh, I want one so badly now.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I didn't own an original, just a Color, but I can't even remember being aware of the original because I wasn't born when it came out. My very first Gameboy Color is sitting in a drawer in my apartment, filled with nostalgic value. Maybe I should play it for old times' sake.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • I also didn't own an original, my first was a Colour Game Boy, which I still have to this day (sadly not working, though as the battery pack is completely bust and in order to get it to power up, it needs to be plugged in at the wall via an AC adaptor).

I still have all my original games for it (mostly Pokemon, of course).

Years
  • I didn't own an original Game Boy either, just the Graphite SP model. The system and the AC Adaptor still work, but unfortunately every one of my cartridges no longer do. Some of my games included Final Fantasy: Tactics Advance, Pokemon Emerald, and Harvest Moon: FoMT, and the last game I remember playing on the system is Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Whenever I see a picture of GB cartridges in a pile, Pokemon Blue is always on top.

I had the old brick of a Game Boy. Always carried it around and drained it's batteries. I had the AC adapter for home use though. And the headphones.

Had a Super Game Boy too, loved it. Was so neat

Didn't have a Pocket, though I wanted one because the screen was much clearer

Had GBC with way too many attachments (rumble pack, big speakers, magnifier, light).

I had a GBA, but not an SP. I really wanted the light of the SP, but I much prefer the layout and feel of the old model.

Yukari

Ah yes, I remember wasting my life away playing Pokemon Red Version. It's true, I never had the new consoles and I still don't. So I grew up playing Pokemon Red, Megaman, Mario and such. I probably spent too much time playing them but SCREW IT I have 6 level 100 Pokemon, so it was worth it.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Damn, the Game Boy's already 25? I didn't have the original kind, but my very first gaming device was a Game Boy Color. Not sure what happened to it, but I still got a couple of the games.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • When I had a Gameboy, it was all just Pokemon.
    Red/Yellow/Silver.
    Then, obviously, it continued when the Gameboy SP came out as well.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I did have a Game Boy, but it was technically my mother's and the only game she had was Tetris. I was terrible at it then, but I still liked to play it when she let me. :) When the Game Boy Color came out, I got the crystal purple one and my first game was Pokemon Red. Then also Yellow, GSC, and I also had Pokemon Puzzle Challenge, among several other games, but I mainly played Pokemon then.
    At one point I also had an NSYNC game.

I don't know if we're allowed to talk about these here, but my cousin used to get me these bootleg GB cartidges that had like 30 games in 1, with games like Super Mario Land, Dr. Mario, Bomberman games, etc. Didn't know it was "bad" at the time, just knew I had lots of new games.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Super Mario World 3 (i think), Pokemon, Kirby, Donkey Kong, and the Game and Watch Gallery games.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    It's a few years older than I am, but I had three of them available to me when I was little. :) Three older sisters meant three old, original gameboys and a pile of games. We still have them somewhere around here~

Even so, I only really used it for Darkwing Duck and Kirby's Dreamland. By the time I had my own games (ie, just Pokemon), I also had two GBCs to use for both first and second gen pokemon games.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    25 years, wow. That's just simply amazing; hard to believe that it's gotten this old. @_@" Anyway, I did have GameBoy, but wasn't able to get a hold of it immediately on release; got it six to seven years after. There was no point in me getting it as I already had GameBoy color, but did it anyway for collection purposes. Still have it in my basement somewhere, thankfully, but not really sure if it works anymore.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I thought it was the third, but I actually have the second. Super Mario world 2: 6 golden coins. My bad.

I'm going to be picky :P

'Land' is a moniker Nintendo gave to Game Boy games (ala Super Mario Land, and Donkey Kong Land) as counterparts to the SNES Games Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country.

So, you played Super Mario Land 2 :)

Bunny Mario all the way~

Phazon Elemental

roving snob
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2021
    I remember getting a Game Boy Color and Pokemon Yellow for Christmas when I was, like, nine. I actually still have it, and some of the games. I think what I have still for the system is just Pokemon Silver, Metroid 2, and Dragon Warrior Monsters. The internal battery n my copy of Pokemon Silver, though, is dead, so I don't play it anymore.

Actually, I don't play any of my GB/C games on the system anymore, as that would require me finding some more batteries or plugging in my GBA SP. I have Metroid 2 on my 3DS for whenever I feel the need to revisit that game.

Back