• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Gen 5 exp mechanics vs. Previous Gens

Years
    [SIZE="a"]Which exp mechanics do you prefer? I prefer gen 5 due to how much you get per level per Pokemon rather than a set exp gain. That's my opinion, how about yours?[/SIZE]

blue

gucci
    Years
    I think it's a clever idea, it's new and a better way to level up weaker lower levelled Pokémon even via EXP. Share.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    So I'm the only one that hates it? I'm always overleveled, so it doesn't do me any good. Grinding is a pain, even with help from Audino, because the Audino are underlevel compared to me too. At least Lucky Egg helps somewhat.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    I kinda like this system because somehow its prevent you from being overleveled while at the same time you can easily train your newly hatched Pokemon up to competitive level fairly easily.

Years
    [SIZE="a"]
    Sydian:6893953 said:
    So I'm the only one that hates it? I'm always overleveled, so it doesn't do me any good. Grinding is a pain, even with help from Audino, because the Audino are underlevel compared to me too. At least Lucky Egg helps somewhat.

For me I got to the elite 4 still underleveled and couldn't defeat them till I was a tad higher[/SIZE]

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    For me I got to the elite 4 still underleveled and couldn't defeat them till I was a tad higher

Well I guess it helps that I have specific level goals before I go into a gym. For BW, it's this:

Spoiler:

Years
    [SIZE="a"]
    Well I guess it helps that I have specific level goals before I go into a gym. For BW, it's this:

Spoiler:
    [/SIZE]
    That's pretty much exactly how it went for me, but the elite 4 were tough for only 4 Pokemon[/SIZE][/FONT]

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    I like the new EXP system. It makes it more difficult to overlevel, but it makes it easier to have low leveled pokemon catch up to the rest of your team.

Years
    [SIZE="a"]I find it annoying. In gen 4 when I started really getting Pokemon I would know exactly what ad how many Pokemon I would need to defeat to level up. It is a good idea, I just liked the old way a lot more.[/SIZE]

Pixel!

Smallest graphical unit
    Years
    To be honest,the only EXP systems I've ever liked were Gen II and I where getting overleveled was easy.
    I didn't even notice there was a change on the EXP system before reading this thread so ... I'm neutral ...

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I hate it. It sucks for my style of playing the game, which is to head into each Gym approximately 5-10 levels higher than the leader. The new experience just makes grinding that much more tedious. If Game Freak doesn't go back to the old system for 6th gen, then it might spell an end to our relationship. That's how much it's broken the game for me.

blue

gucci
    Years
    The new EXP System, it's so much easier to train and it's very helpful when grinding lower levelled Pokémon.
    It's also more of a reward from defeating a higher level with a lower level so more fair. Still think they should include the VS Seeker however.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Finally someone that hates it too cause like Sydian said, it makes grinding so much more of a pain than it already was.

Years
    The new Exp mechanic was like the very first thing I complained about after having a peek at a japanese rom. When I actually played the game a year later or so, it wasn't as bad as I had been dreading it would be, but it I didn't particularly like it either. I don't like full teams, but that mechanic basically forces you to use one.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    I guess I run hot and cold on it. When I'm training weaker critters, it's the best thing ever; when I want to grind all of my team to a certain level, it loses its appeal more quickly. On the whole, I think I prefer it... but that is, of course, dependent on the situation.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    I hate it. It sucks for my style of playing the game, which is to head into each Gym approximately 5-10 levels higher than the leader.

That's...not really how the game was designed? Gyms are mostly meant to be even matches towards the player, although considering that Gym leaders almost never have a full team it's already made easer on the player who keeps a decent team.

The only issue in BW is that it lacks sustainable training spots around your level towards the end of game because there's no VS Seeker.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    The only issue in BW is that it lacks sustainable training spots around your level towards the end of game because there's no VS Seeker.

The two sports arenas in Nimbasa city have a bunch of people to fight, so there's your solution.

Anyhow, the 5th gen xp system is much better than the previous generations. It makes for faster training of weaker guys on your team, which beat the exact 50% that they would get in the past.

Back