• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Gifted

Sir Bastian

Christina - Crossroads
Years
  • Hello everyone!

Some of you may still remember me, and I've definitely not forgotten about you, or PC. I'm posting here right now because, the other day while working, I came up with a loose idea for an RP that I think could be very fun and interesting to do, and I wanted to share my idea with all of you.

Keep in mind, that I am -not- going to be creating or GM'ing this RP. This is purely to throw the idea out there and if someone wants to pick up the idea and try to make an RP around it, I'd be more than happy to help :)

In this world ( A modern setting would fit it best I think ), there is a legend. If you have a goal and are desperate enough, you can perform a ritual, which will summon an entity. The entity will give you the power you need to fulfill your goal, but it comes at a heavy price. No one who's ever made a deal with this entity has lived to tell the tale.

Essentially, you'd start off the RP with a character who has some sort of goal. Be it revenge, just wanting to be a giant ***hole, trying to earn wealth or power, get the person you love, whatever the player chooses is their motivation. They all summon this entity in order to get their wish granted, essentially.

He'll grant them powers, but only if they're willing to accept tasks he will occasionally give them. However, they will only be given a small fraction of the power they -could- have. In order to get the full extent of what he can give them, they'll have to meet him/her/it in person. He'll be located in a city or a summit or someplace of importance, where the players will have to travel to within a set amount of days. If they fail to make the journey and meet him, they lose their powers and pay a terrible price. If they fail to heed his 'tasks' he'll give them along the way, same thing.

So essentially, the GM will message each person -privately- and give them a goal to accomplish for that chapter. It can be something innocent and good, like saving a person's life, make someone feel loved. It can be something selfish like 'Earn x amount of money in a day by any means necessary', or even outright evil, like kill a person, or 'assault someone you know', or even attacking one of the other Gifted. The fact that these tasks are hidden will make joined posts VERY interesting, I think. Especially considering most JPs are planned out beforehand, and this'll make them a bit more sporadic.

Powers-wise, each person will only receive their powers -after- the RP has started. I've seen it more than once that people pick a power and build a character from it. So I think that -having- a character and then having them adapt to whatever quirky power they'll be gifted is way more immersive.

As for the powers themselves, I'd prefer them to be a bit... strange, ideally. Or at least uncommon, so it's not just 'I have fire so I can shoot the fire lol'. Like for instance, one person could have the 'Gift of the Future', where they'll be able to 'pause' time essentially, and see 10 seconds into the future, and make minor adjustments to things. Like if a person is running away from them, they can pause time, and change that door to be closed instead of open. Or that cat running across the street to run the opposite way and trip up the person running. Or a gun aimed at them to jam. Small things like that. Essentially the main mechanic from Remember Me (The game, not the movie).

The people who're given these deals are called Gifted, and are marked for it with a tattoo-like thing on their body. Everyone else in the world know that the Gifted bring nothing but chaos in their wake, as has happened in the past, so if you're found out to be a Gifted, you're not going to be welcome anywhere. Worst case, people'll want you dead.

The entity granting these powers will be one powered by chaos and anarchy. The more discord he can sow, the stronger he gets. If some of the players decide to try and take him down and end this cycle of chaos, that could be a point in the story. But can you truly trust and work together with someone else possibly tempted by even greater powers than what they already have received...?

And there you have it! My loose idea for an RP. It'd be a semi-sandbox/journey RP with a goal. You'd be travelling across the land in a Rat Race-style journey, via car, train, boat, plane or on foot, without knowing which of the other gifted you can truly trust.

What do you think? Have any ideas that could enhance or change this idea? Do you want to give a shot GM'ing it? Doesn't cost anything to leave a comment or your thoughts down below!

Last edited:

Sweet Dreams

[I]are made of these~[/I]
    Years
  • Ooooh I could definitely see myself being really into this idea. I'm not huge on very open sandbox RPs though, so I'd prefer it to be somewhat more linear, perhaps having everyone begin in the same city and therefore letting the players interact more as they head along their journey, maybe even travel together... though that'd be difficult with the conflicting interests.

And I think making it a rule that they can't reveal their tasks to anyone else (even OOC) would serve to make it really interesting! Something where the characters HAVE to be at cross-purposes yet interact a lot, and not combat-oriented would be reeeaaally fun, I think. I certainly haven't been in an RP with all these ingredients yet~

I'm not GM material though, and definitely don't have the time nor interest to do so. Dx I hope it gets picked up.

Years
  • My main worry is interaction. How are you going to ensure that players have good reason to interact?

Everything else looks good!

Sir Bastian

Christina - Crossroads
    Years
  • My main worry is interaction. How are you going to ensure that players have good reason to interact?

Everything else looks good!

Well, considering that the people of this world will be very afraid of or even hostile towards Gifted, the only other people they can at least SOMEWHAT trust, are other Gifted, right?

On top of that, when creating each chapter, you could either have something happen that forces them together and start off some kind of relationship with one another, or even have one of the secret tasks have something to do with them.

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
    Years
  • Like for instance, one person could have the 'Gift of the Future', where they'll be able to 'pause' time essentially, and see 10 seconds into the future, and make minor adjustments to things. Like if a person is running away from them, they can pause time, and change that door to be closed instead of open. Or that cat running across the street to run the opposite way and trip up the person running. Or a gun aimed at them to jam. Small things like that.

I would love to have this power! I wonder if the game you're speaking about would star humans or Pok?mon?

ジュナイパー

シャドーアローズ? ??トライク!
    Years
  • This actually sounds pretty epic! I have one question, though. Would this be a modern-fantasy setting (kind of like Percy Jackson, where monsters and such exist, but it's in the modern world), because this entity and the powers it gives can't be the only abnormal things in this universe.

Also, I'd like to host this, but seeing as their are many better options for GMs, I'll wait to see if anyone else takes your offer.

Sir Bastian

Christina - Crossroads
    Years
  • This actually sounds pretty epic! I have one question, though. Would this be a modern-fantasy setting (kind of like Percy Jackson, where monsters and such exist, but it's in the modern world), because this entity and the powers it gives can't be the only abnormal things in this universe.

Also, I'd like to host this, but seeing as their are many better options for GMs, I'll wait to see if anyone else takes your offer.

I hadn't actually thought of this! I'm sure that there are SOME more mystical things out there, but I didn't intend on it being hugely fantastical. That, however, is really up to the GM, whoever that may be. Personally, I think that certain 'special mortals' that know about the grand scheme of things, and then a couple god/demigod-like beings, like the Entity being out there, is the best way to go.

Back