• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Girl Who Doesn't Age

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
  • Whatever it is, it should prove to be a significant medical breakthrough. Perhaps they can harness a "Fountain of Youth" gene from her. :P

Kazukii

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2009
    I don't understand how all these extraordinary cases happen to like 1 or 2 people in the world..
    It's just mad when you really think about it..

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • It just means that it's insanely rare. One is six billion....

But yeah, I hope they can figure out how it's happening, and either a) figure out how to get her to age normally, and/or b) figure out how to get us adults to stop aging too. XD

Giraffles <3

podɐʇǝɯ
    Years
  • I think it would've been more awesome if she like turned 18 and then stopped aging there, no one should have to be a baby forever. But the possibilities with this sound really great.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • So wait.Lets say she ages 16 months per 16 years. Thats 1 month for each year which would make her around 8 years old at 100 years old? The hell?

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    That's really interesting. But I feel sorry for the parents, they have had to look after a baby for the past 16 years. Or toddler, since it says she has the mental capacity of one.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • What bothers me is this. If she does grow by the year at an average of a month she will have the mind of a person of 100 years at 8 yeard old. Just the mental capability of a 100 year old person in an 8 year old boggles me. Now imagine by the time she turns say 500 she would be around 40 years old. 500 year old mind with a 40 year old body. Crazy stuff I tell you.

Penguin13

Mountain Dew, Elixir of Life.
    Years
  • No. She will not turn 500. Her body parts aren't growing, but I'm sure her internals are deteriorating like a normal human being. Besides, people with something medically wrong with them usually don't live as long as normal people ;)

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • No. She will not turn 500. Her body parts aren't growing, but I'm sure her internals are deteriorating like a normal human being. Besides, people with something medically wrong with them usually don't live as long as normal people ;)
    If they are not growing at a normal rate as a human being then how would the deteriate at a normal rate?

Kagura

..what?
    Years
  • If they are not growing at a normal rate as a human being then how would the deteriate at a normal rate?

Maybe its the same logic with "little people", since their internal organs grow and die like ours, maybe shes no different, I'm not really sure.

But anyway, thats a remarkable story.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I really do hope a real elixir of immortality doesn't come out of this.
    Think about it before you cast a retort. If humans breed and don't die, how many humans would come to exist on Earth? Cannibalism will come naturally along with a deterioration of infrastructure. Discovering how humans age is all good and well until the information is used.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years

• Maybe its the same logic with "little people", since their internal organs grow and die like ours, maybe shes no different, I'm not really sure.

But anyway, thats a remarkable story.
    How would that work? Her body would get used to growing at a slow rate. In someway her body would change the decay process in a way to connect and flow with the time rate and such of the growth rate. I cannot see how it would be possible to happen. Oh well time will tell.

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
    Years
  • Maybe it's something in her body she's missing to grow? It wouldn't be impossible. There are times when people don't have the right amount of growth hormones... something like that.

But wow, that's... something I can't even put into words. o_o

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    No. She will not turn 500. Her body parts aren't growing, but I'm sure her internals are deteriorating like a normal human being. Besides, people with something medically wrong with them usually don't live as long as normal people ;)
    If you read the whole article it said she is a 16-year old baby. That means that her whole body, externally and internally, is, well, in their 'baby' stages.

However it is possible that she has something wrong with her that just has her stay at being a baby until she is of old age, which she would then die.

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
  • What bothers me is this. If she does grow by the year at an average of a month she will have the mind of a person of 100 years at 8 yeard old. Just the mental capability of a 100 year old person in an 8 year old boggles me. Now imagine by the time she turns say 500 she would be around 40 years old. 500 year old mind with a 40 year old body. Crazy stuff I tell you.

Ugh, did none of you actually read the article??

This is the headline: A 16-year-old girl who is the size of an infant and has the mental capacity of a toddler continues to baffle doctors in the US.

Mental capacity of a toddler. This is not a fountain of youth, all it is a medical mystery. This does not mean that she will have the mind of a 100 year-old when she's 8.

Years
  • It is cool, but at the same time, I sympathize with her. She'll never know what it's like to live a free life, being stuck in that infant form. I hope that they can at least help her, before harnessing the gene to try and make people live forever.

Patchy

-
    Years
  • I've heard a similar story to this before. Some little boy who developed normally until he was four was found to have a medical condition where both his body and mind stopped developing.

Pretty weird story.

dc_united

Josh Wicks doesn't like you
    Years
  • It's kind of sad. We're not focused on helping this girl- we're trying to use her to get a 'cure' for old age. That is just sad. Nevermind the one life that condition is ruining.

It's really quite sad- no one realizes that it's a rare pleasure to die of old age, and we spend our whole lives trying to fight it. In my opinion, better to die of old age then with a knife in my back or a bullet in my chest. No one should be trying to make a quick buck on this poor girl's DNA.

Reina

pandasaur!
    Years

Interesting theory... anyone read the book "Freak the Mighty"? I think you get where I'm going with that if you have.

I hope in the future (far or soon) to get more information on this, if her internal & external move this slowly, maybe she's one of soon to be many? Nobody really knows. There could be more people with this that just didn't show it to the press, and didn't want the attention. Still, this is just... Amazing. I wish I could say more or offer a possible explanation, but it's just... Wow.

Back