• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Good Ol' Days

Years
  • I remember back in 2006, before DPP, everyone played Emerald. At recess, we used to trade Pokemon cards and talk about where we were in the game. My friends told me all about how they went to the moon when the number of sucessful launches in the Mossdeep Space Center reached 100, and everyone was afraid of getting a badEGG. After school, we all gathered around the TV to watch the newest episode of Battle Frontier.

Pokemon just isn't what it used to be
    Does anyone feel the same way, or is it just me?

Destiny Bond

Daddow entelechies
    Years
  • No, its not just u. They've seemed to have moved on and are doing stuff they think are of their age. It really doesn't matter, but yeah, its different once your older i guess?

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • 2006?!?

The golden age of the Pokemon fandom for my generation was 1999-2000. XD

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2020
    Not just you. Pokemon starting gonig down hill right after Hoenn came out. It was just over kill. And now it's just rediculous. When you see kids playing pokemon now, I'm pretty sure they don't even know what Kanto is, or how Ash got pikachu, or what Red and Blue even were -_- Hell! they'll all look back at team rocket and wonder why they were so clumsy because they'll have never known that's how it was before~

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I really depends when you join the franchise. I joined late gen III and I feel that pokemon hasn't really changed much.

So it's a no, as I am not a nostalgia freak.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I feel the same way, especially with 5th gen. I'm not feeling the new games nearly as much as the previous generations. It might be my age or it might they're trying to change too much this time around, I'm not completely sure...

Ayselipera

I do agree with you. It really isn't the same as how it used to be. I've been with Pokemon since the debut of the anime and so I've gone through every generation and that same spark and love for it has definitely died off through the years. It's not as exciting and amazing as it used to be, but unfortunately I think this happens with anything that you carry on with from your childhood.

The ~glory days of Pokemon~ for myself was at its highest point from 1999-2000. I remember it being a craze where if you didn't like Pokemon something was wrong with you. Whereas now if you do like Pokemon something is wrong with you. :p I know for myself I also consider the third generation to be apart of the best Pokemon years. It was before I was apart of Pokemon forums or looked up anything Pokemon online so I enjoyed the region fully without knowing anything before hand or having other people's opinions change my own.

The IV generation is when I really lost my spark for Pokemon. I hadn't watched the anime since Misty left so that whole part of Pokemon was gone for me and I also had stopped collecting cards or even really eying them to any extent. The games were and are now my main focus and unfortunately I did not enjoy the IV generation at all. So with that any of the same childish feelings I had before have gone and now it's just something I like to play to pass the time. Although once and a while I still watch the first season of the anime just to reminisce. D:

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • I think for our generation it's a lot different now because we've grown up and seen all of the changes throughout the years. But I think kids who are just getting into it feel the same way we did. I went to an elementary school today to help second graders with their writing skills. After they had finished their work, a whole group of boys whipped out their pokemon cards and started chatting away about this pokemon and that pokemon. One boy even had a notebook full of pokemon drawings we had done and he was showing them to his friends. Their teachers was yelling at them for trading cards x3 This is exactly how it was for me and my friends when we got into pokemon over ten years ago.

So I think the "old days" may be gone for us, but they are alive and well in the generation of young pokemon fans :3

Waking_Dreamer

Dreamer King
    Years
  • Im with those here who say their Good Ol' Days were1999-2000.

Pre-2000 yeah...! This was when there werent such things as IVs, EV training, berries, double battles, breeding, weather status etc.

On my first playthrough with Squirtle since I didnt know know when Pokemon evolved I must have just finished a tough battle in the Lavendar Town tower; as the match ended with my reliable Wartortle beat up, it started glowing and flickering (yay graphics!) then it EVOLVEVED into BLASTOISE. I said to myself, "this is the best RPG moment in my life....!!!"

Oh and lets not forget Gen1 players how about the Missing No. glitch on Cinnibar Island...?! 11th Item in PC x99 right...? Rare Candies and Masterballs haxx4Life! lol

Also I was with my friend who at the newsagent just across the busstop bought his first booster pack, and I picked up the next pack after him. He opened it up and found himself a Charizard card....! If he wasnt there it could have been mine....?!

Those were my "Good Ol Days".....lol

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Good old days? Definetly 1998-2001 for me. Those were my days with R/B/Y and G/S/C. I loved playing those games. When Gen 3 came around it felt like it wasn't the same anymore. I still cherish those days back then.

In terms of the anime, as Ayselipera mentioned, I kinda stopped watching when Misty left, but at times I watch the ones with May or Dawn in it, but it still wasn't the same. That spark I had with the show went *poof*.

Dartht33bagger

Only plays Gen I and II
    Years
  • I was two from 1999-2000, so I couldn't really play any Pokemon then

I've always wondered how it would be to play the new pokemon games first and have those be popular....I'm sorry you missed out on the prime of the first games. You missed the best of the series.

On a side note, have you you ever played R/B/Y/G/S/C? The remakes don't count, the original ones. If not, you should choose 1 from each gen and get a copy off ebay or at a local games store as soon as you can. You will not be disappointed :) (oh and you might need a GBA SP too since the DS is too cool to play original gameboy carts -.-)

Waking_Dreamer

Dreamer King
    Years
  • I've always wondered how it would be to play the new pokemon games first and have those be popular....I'm sorry you missed out on the prime of the first games. You missed the best of the series.

On a side note, have you you ever played R/B/Y/G/S/C? The remakes don't count, the original ones. If not, you should choose 1 from each gen and get a copy off ebay or at a local games store as soon as you can. You will not be disappointed :) (oh and you might need a GBA SP too since the DS is too cool to play original gameboy carts -.-)

Do you think they would appreciate it though?

Even though nostalgia will keep that gen higher on my appreciation than any of the other games, comapred to all the 3rd+ Gen games I can see RBY to be bare bones and glitchy...

Though if people want to try it out, you could try emulators...if theyre compatable with your PC.

Cyndaquil312

It's been 7 years... but i've returned once more.
    Years
  • Being 20, I've seen pokemon from the beginning, I remember Christmas morning, opening my gifts, and getting a Gameboy Color, and Pokemon Yellow. Sitting in front of the TV every Saturday, watching Kids WB watching the original Pokemon shows. I even remember the first ever holographic Pokemon card I had (the Rocket Riachu).

Unfortunately, this generation sees pokemon in a different light. That's why i think Black and white went with this "isolation" idea, to give new players a starting point, like many of us did with 150, or 151 counting mew.

I agree with Waking_Dreamer, playing the 1st and 2nd generations would be like going to the stone age for many players.

I will always love the good old days, when gotta catch 'em all meant catching 150 pokemon. before all this EV and IV and whatever other v's there are. to truly understand the game, i think you need to play them all, from the beginning. but alas, with the discontinuation of the gbc and gba cartridges, the Gameboy and Gameboy Advance, i don't think it could be the same.

Vyro

Master Douchelord
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2014
    Back in MY day we had 150 monsters, and that was ALL you needed! None o' these new-fangled 'cutey' monsters for children!

Look at dat there Tauros. A fine specimen of a monster. Look at the new-age Tauros. A CARTOON COW. Disgraceful! We had Pikachu and Raichu, but that wasn't CUTE enough for CHILDREN so they added Pichu, the Baby. Then they added those two Minun and Plushie creatures, which are completely obvious knockoffs! That's right, IVE SEEN YOUR NEW MONSTERS! BAH! Tailow? HootHoot? Starly? BAH! Give me Pidgey any day! Sentret? Zigzagoon? BIDOOF? You young whippersnappers can paint a Ratatta brown, but it's still a Ratatta!

The new popular starter is CHICKCHAR or something. Hooey! Back in my day, if you wanted a flaming monkey, you threw a Mankey into a bonfire!

I must say, it's nice to see the developers haven't gotten creative. A hippopotamus called "Hippopotas"? That's almost as clever as a pile of muck called "Muk"! Shows that the first generation was the BEST generation!

But everything they try to change doesn't work! Take evolution for example. Well, we DIDNT evolve them because evolution is a heathen scam! Everytime they tried to evolve, we would stop them because they were Intelligently Designed to be the way they were. But at least science was simpler in those days. Creatures evolved by leveling, stones, and trading! We didn't need to equip any new-fangled Kings Rock while leveling up at dusk while fighting a Goldeen at Cinnabar Island with a happiness level of 200 and spare Rare Candy in the inventory! That's ridiculous!

Also, there are no male or female monster of the same species! If they were, they would be a DIFFERENT SPECIES like Nidoran is. I notice that you haven't tried to reclassify them as the same species. That's because they are the ONLY monster with genders! All them other monsters are a-sexual. They don't breed! You kids today pass your monsters to some hag, and she has to genetically engineer you a cross-bred creature. WHY ELSE WOULD CREATURES ONLY MULTIPLY IN A DAYCARE CENTER?

Speaking of evolution, you young punks can stop evolving my monsters! Lickitung, Tangela and Rhydon were useless enough without you tainting them with stripes and spikes and scowls! If we wanted them to evolve, we would have done it the old fashioned way: by putting three of them together! I see what you did to Magneton! IF WE WANTED MAGNETON TO EVOLVE, WE WOULD JUST PUT THREE TOGETHER.

YOUR TURTWIG IS A BULBASAUR WITH A LEAF ON ITS HEAD!

Where was I? Oh yeah, your fancy colors. We didn't have color back in my day! We had black and puke green and we were grateful! People at the store would say, "Welcome to Cerulean City, the most vibrant city in Kanto. Would you like to see a third color?" and you would reply, "No, sir, I am satisfied with two" because THATS THE WAY GOD MADE IT.

And what's with these monsters that roam around the whole region? I don't care if you are a legendary, you stay in ONE house or cave. YOU DONT MOVE. I tells ya, the whole world is loosing control. Pretty soon these creatures will all be free. What kind of world has no pocket monster fighting action paralleling cockfighting? I am not sure, but it's a world I want none to do with!

Maybe this old fool is too naive for this new world. But with God as my witness, I will keep my level 100 Charmander, level 100 Magikarp, and level 100 Pikachu by my side forever. You kids wouldn't understand because you're too busy 'evolving' your monsters, watching their stat-ee-vees and teachin' them moves to balance against your friends. What a waste of time! I could beat the Elite Four everytime, back when that MEANT something. So you can go fight strangers over them thar internets if you will, but as for me and my monsters, we will retire from a world which no longer needs us.

Erufuun

apple bunny lover <3
    Years
  • Well, I have almost been through Pokemon since the beginning~
    Unfortunately, the only time it was really popular in school was when I was a kid. Like, 1st-4th grade. All we talked about was Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Bionicle, all of it seemed so magical back then... Honestly, all of things lost their luster with age, including Pokmeon, I have to say. :[ It was a tad better experiencing back then, I dunno why...
    Maybe because I grew up afterwords being the only kid who really played it avidly. So I was kinda alone with it...
    I would really give up anything to go through my childhood once more, everything just seemed so great back then. ^^

Trading the cards with my friends... Waking up early Saturday mornings to watch the show... And being the only kid to know so much about the game at that age, everyone went to me for help. XD
    Oh dear Nostalgia, you sure do hurt~

Dartht33bagger

Only plays Gen I and II
    Years
  • Do you think they would appreciate it though?

Even though nostalgia will keep that gen higher on my appreciation than any of the other games, comapred to all the 3rd+ Gen games I can see RBY to be bare bones and glitchy...

Though if people want to try it out, you could try emulators...if theyre compatable with your PC.

I honestly think they could. I know I've played older games in a series before and liked it better than a newer game.

Back