• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] The Gospel of Emmanuel

Manaphyman

Sevii Trainer
Years
  • Welcome readers! You may remember the Prologue of this as my One-shot, O Come O Come Emmanuel; or you may not. I decided, after hearing a song at mass a few months ago, to continue with the concept, and write a Bible-Centric fiction including Pokemon. I have since revised O Come O Come Emmanuel delegated it to Prologue status, and written the first two chapters.

Note to New Readers:
    This fiction contains very strong Christian overtones, with minor Jewish influence. I am not trying to advocate or promote religion, I was just inspired to write about it. Nor am I articulating that there is indeed a God, whether or not one has faith is there own choice. I am Catholic, so thus this fiction will be from a Catholic persepctive. Please do not post: "God doesnt exist," or "This isnt how it happened," or I will report you to a mod.

Important Information:
    Before you read, you might want some basic information about the fiction. It will span 15 chapters, as well as a prologue and an epilogue. Depending on whether or not I have the time, I may make a prequel regarding the Immaculate Conception or the story of Moses. At any rate, updates will probably be once every two-three weeks, hopefully occuring with Christian holidays.

Character Bios
    (To be added)

Chapter List:
    0.Prologue-O Come O Come Emmanuel
    1.What Child is this? (Expected December 1st)
    2.Westward Leading-Still Proceeding (December 15th)

The Gospel of Emmanuel

Prologue-O Come O Come Emmanuel

O Come O Come Emmanuel
    And ransom captive the world
    That mourns in lonely exile here
    Until the Son of God appear
    Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
    Shall come to thee
    O waiting, world….

The beating tropic heat was unmerciful, burning his tan skin and weakening his resolve. His Pokémon, Munchlax, was taking it worse than he was, his high body fat insulating himself, causing the poor creatures temperature to rise dramatically. Munchlax was a powerful Pokémon, and thus had to join the thousands of Sevii natives in laboring for the Kanto-Johto Empire. They had been enslaved for many generations; their ancestors could not remember a time when any Sevii citizen they knew had been free.

The Kanto-Johto Empire owned the entire known world, and their brutal tactics caused them to enslave all those living outside their main borders. The Sevii Islands, which had tried to rebel previously, were forced into an even harsher bondage, horrific whippings, and genocides. Thousands had died in the oppression, which showed no immediate signs of ending. Each day, the people cried out for a hero, but no one ever came.

Joseph's thoughts drifted away from their current social situation, and onto the task at hand. Munchlax and he were charged with the dubious task of straw transfer, carrying bails of the clumsy plant to the brick makers almost two miles away, down the island. Currently, they were carrying a few of those bails each, Munchlax waddling slowly in front of him.

"Lax…" the Pokémon sighed, its pudgy arms shaking under the weight of the massive bails of straw. Its ears were bent to each side, dripping with sweat that dribbled down its blue body. It short legs tripped over its massive girth, as the Pokémon trudged along, grudgingly. The day was wrapping up, and this was their final trip to the brick makers. They just had to survive the day, and then they could achieve their much needed rest. A week off was granted to each of them, so that they may travel to the Capital of each region, in order to be counted. The Empire wanted to get a bearing on the population of the islands, and thus, had ordered a census.

This was a monumental problem though. Joseph's wife, Mary, was with child, and due any day now. It had almost been nine months, and Joseph reasoned that she was going to have the baby soon. He would have to take her to One Island, the capitol of the North Sevii's, in order to be counted, a normally dubious task, which would be magnified since she was pregnant.

"Ah, Munchlax, what am I going to do?" He sighed, repositioning the heap of straw in his arms.

The Pokémon just looked at him endearingly. "Munch? Lax…" which obviously meant something along the lines of: <Why are you asking me? I dunno.>

He just sighed and continued up the arid landscape, through the patches of dead grass and groves of swaying palm trees. The warm breeze did not help, as they were not close enough to the water to wreak the benefits of the sea. Joseph looked around the area. It was barren and desolate, devoid of Pokémon and signs of human activity. Small huts appeared here and there, crudely constructed of mud bricks, or broken logs and branches. The citizens were treated horribly, and many yearned for independence and freedom. Their religion dictated that a messiah would be coming to relieve them of oppression and to save the world. Or at least, that's what the high priests said.

"Here Munchlax, let me help you," Joseph said, lifting a few bails of straw from the Pokémon's arms. They had begun to buckle under the stress of a hard days work, and Joseph's heart bled for him. Munchlax had been with his family for years, and was very old. Joseph loved the Pokémon as if it were his own, for he was not allowed to own a Pokémon under martial law. No one was allowed to have a Pokémon unless it had been in their family before the law was imposed. It was a ridiculous law, and Joseph yearned for a Pokémon of his own.

They had nearly reached their destination, Cape Brink, where the bricks were being made. According to their masters, the bricks were being used on Six Island for a chamber housing something of utmost importance to the Empire's military. What it was, they did not know, but it was necessary to fight off an accursed being which attacked the lower islands a few years previous. The citizens of the North believed in a deliberate conspiracy, fearing that the Kanto-Johto Empire had awakened the Pokémon in order to devise an excuse to control the island.

He delivered the bails of straw, stacking them on an immense pile watched by an overseer. Hundreds of bails of straw and hay had been stacked in what the slaves called: Labor Mountain.

Joseph and Munchlax unloaded their cargo, and walked to the overseer.

"Sir, we have made all twenty combined trips for the day, do I have permission to turn in for the night?" Joseph asked, almost sarcastically. He hated submitting to another man, slavery was unjust, one man cannot own another, and it's simply immoral. They shouldn't have to wait for a savior to deliver them, they themselves should rebel. But he knew that would never happen…

"Are you getting snippy with me slave?" the bronze-clad guard barked, lifting his angled bronze mask away, un-obscuring his dark black eyes. He held in his hand a wooden rod adorned with a sharpened arrowhead made of an alloy of bronze and silver, which matched his plated armor.

"No sir, I just said I was done is all…" Joseph tried to explain, modestly adjusting his robe. It was rugged and torn, plastered with burns, rips and sweat stains. It was all one piece, completed with a dark brown cincture and hood.

"Shut up, Sevite, you insubordinate piece of crap. Kneel before me," he commanded, spear in one hand. He stripped Joseph from his walking stick, ripping it away in a fit of rage. Instinctively, Joseph did, bowing his head. He was face to face with the guards opened towed sandals. They were nothing special, but considering Joseph had never owned a pair of footwear, he yearned for something to protect his callous ridden feet.

Immediately, a wave of pain emanated from his back, as his muscles reacted spastically. He winced and attempted not to react, for he knew what had happened: the guard had struck him hard with Joseph's own walking stick.

"Ow, what the hell was that for?" he yelled, lifting his head to see the face of the guard.

"Did I say you could get up?" he yelled in a deep, burly voice, dropping his spear and lifting the walking stick with both hands. In this time of limbo, Joseph got a good look at it; a jaded, branched, willow tree carved walking stick, something that helped move his tired bones around, now about to be used against him. It had been a family heirloom, older than Munchlax, and dating back to the time of the rebellion, fifty years ago.

He saw the stick coming closer and closer to his face. He knew if he moved, he would receive a much harder punishment. It slammed into his head with full force, knocking him to the ground. The rest was just a blur.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    3 hours later.

The first thing he remembered was the flickering candle light, illuminating the mud brick walls of his hut. He lay on his straw bed, a tan colored cloth blanket covering him. By his side were two beautiful deep blue eyes, accompanied with a soft pale white face and curly black hair, covered in a light blue hood. She was enveloped in the same light blue color, her curves revealed by the tightness of the robe, due to her enlarged stomach. She was very pregnant.

In her hands was an iron bowl, filled halfway with water. Floating in it was a small white cloth, which she picked up, squeezed the water out, and whipped over his head. It was sensitive to the touch, causing him to flinch a bit. Mary recoiled a second, but proceeded to clean his wound anyway, out of love.

She stroked his rugged beard with her slender fingers. Lovingly, he picked up his weak arm and stroked her soft face.

"Mary…" he cooed, as she bent down, kissing him. "What happened?"

"Well you were knocked out for a while; at least, that's what Munchlax said. He dragged you home after the guard left, and we got you into bed. At least we have a week to recover…" She trailed off, but beckoned to the door, where his beloved walking stick lay adjacent.

"No, Mary, we don't," he said, attempting to lift himself out of bed.

"Sit," she said, placing her hand on his chest and easing him back down. "You need your rest."

He lied back down on his bed, his eyes drifting toward the flickering candle on the wooden desk beside his bed.

"Joseph, I can't make the trip with you to One Island. It's too dangerous for the baby," she said, her calm voice instilling tranquility in him. Something about it was serene, almost heavenly. Yet, on this particular day, it invoked some sort of heartache, surfacing an emotion that was buried deeply inside of him.

"I don't think the Lord would let anything happen to his child." Joseph said inquisitively. He was of course, referring to the alleged vision Mary saw nine months previous, of a Pokémon, bathed in gold and white, asking if she would bear the prophesied child, Emmanuel, who would deliver the world. He never said it was his son exactly, but that by the will of the Ho-oh, she would be impregnated with him. In their religion, there was supposed to be some sort of a trinity; God, the father and his Pokémon Arceus, the son and his guardian Mew, and Ho-oh the Holy Spirit. It was odd, and Joseph didn't fully understand it, but he accepted it.

Joseph had been very skeptical, but Mary was his wife, and he knew in his heart that she would never betray him. At least, she knew that if she did she would probably lose her life. Not on his accord, but based on customs. Adulterers were stoned.

"Still Joseph, I have a horrible feeling about this, we can't go," she said nervously. Joseph looked distraught, the heavy burden of forgoing a law, or protecting an unborn life, hanging in the balance.

"I need to sleep Mary," he said, pulling her robe and planting a kiss on her cheek. "We'll think of something."

"I hope so..." She whispered, and he drifted off to sleep.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mew…"

"Mew…"

In the background he heard a soft whisper, but Joseph thought nothing of it.
    He was in his room again, although now, the candle was extinguished. He couldn't see where Mary was, but he assumed she was asleep in the bed perpendicular to him. He rose out of his slumber, causing the straw to ruffle a bit, and the air to stir around him. Rubbing his eyes, he shed his blanket; something was amiss.

His house was silent and still, it was if time itself was frozen. The air was still and stale, a tiny chill was in the air, setting off a series of goose bumps rocketing down his spine. He flinched slightly, pulling his robe a little tighter around him.

"Who's there?" he whispered, begging that he would not hear an answer.

<Do not be afraid young Joseph,> a soft voice whispered out of the darkness. Butterflies were ignited in his stomach.

"Who's there?" he repeated, timidly.

Immediately, a bright pink light consumed him. It lit the entire room, illuminating an empty bed where Mary should have been. The once stable and still air had been stirred, circling around in a whirlwind, which enveloped a small pink form in the middle of the light.

The light receded to form a small glowing orb around a petite pink creature. It had two stubby arms, folded together in a look of impatience. The Pokémon looked childish, minus its two rather oversized feet. Upon the large feet were three chubby toes, standing erect as the pixie type Pokémon floated. It had a long tail, which wrapped around its body and penetrating the pink orb in which it floated. The tiny Pokémon had an equally petite head, with two large, benevolent blue eyes separated by a small protrusion that was its nose.

"….What are you?" Joseph managed to whisper, shaking.

<Do not be afraid, Joseph,> the cute Pokémon chimed. He saw the look on Joseph's face, and responded accordingly:

<I am Mew. My father appeared to your wife. She is carrying my master, the son of God: Emmanuel,> he explained.

"Wh-Why are you visiting me?" Joseph asked, beginning to gain his bearings.

<You don't believe in your wife. I am here to assure you, her child is indeed the Son of God and my master, and to help you decided what to do,> he soothed. This revelation caused Joseph to kneel before Him. Mew floated to eye level with the human, and began to explain.

<You must do as I say young Joseph, or else the events that must come to pass will not. First, take women and child to the south side of Two Island. There will be a manger, filled with Pokémon. Stay there for the week, and at the end of the week, the child will be born. You will be safe from the Empire here, as they will not find you. I will appear in the form of a star, hovering over your manger, visible only to believers. The mighty and the lowly will visit your son, and thousands will rejoice at the coming of the savior. Do you understand?> he dictated, effortlessly.

He nodded, a stark look of nervousness seizing control of his face.

<Are you afraid?> the Pokémon asked, reading his mood.

Joseph nodded again.

Mew reached out of its orb, and placed his stubby fingers on Josephs chin, lifting it up.

<Don't be afraid. A most glorious thing is about to occur, one which millions will herald as the coming of their savior. It is time for the world to be saved. Just do as I told you, and you will be fine, St. Joseph.> He whispered into the humans ear.

And then he woke up.

His heart thundering, the morning dawn rays began to peak through their shrewd cloth windows, illuminating portions of the room. Munchlax was sitting against the walls, snoring loudly, its head buried in its pudgy exterior. Mary was safe in her bed, still asleep. She was shivering quietly.

He got up, blood rushing to his head, pain seizing the disgusting bruise on his forehead. Despite the pain, he took his tan blanket, wrapping it around Mary.
    He gently kissed her forehead, stroking her hair lightly.

In his hand, he clutched a small pink crystal, threaded with many strands of hemp. He placed it around his neck, tucking the crystal in his robe.

"Mary?" He questioned, attempting to wake his bride.

"Yes Joseph?" She asked sweetly.

"It's time." He said.

O come, O come, Thou Lord of might,
    Who to Thy tribes, on Sevii's height,
    In ancient times did'st give the Law,
    In cloud, and majesty and awe.
    Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
    Shall come to thee, O waiting world.

To be continued...

Back