• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Graphics/Art Schools

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
Years
  • I want to ask everyone before I get into this and get it up. I'd like to get an idea of a couple of things:

Who feels like they'd be comfortable being a mentor/tutor? Having something they feel comfortable tutoring people in, be it photography, drawing, sculpting and so on.

Who feels like they'd be interested in joining with a mentor/tutor, to learn either a new type of art, or to improve upon an already existing skill, regardless of the current level?

I need as many replies as possible please!

Years
  • Well, if anyone thinks they could learn something from me, I'd be happy to be a mentor/tutor! My strength is definitely drawing/painting. Maybe basics of anatomy, proportions, shading etc.

On the other hand, I'd also be interested in learning a thing or two from others :> So yes to both from me

Years
  • Like I said before I'd like I'd be interested in being a mentor/teacher, but I'd really be interested in learning from some other people too!

MrDrPants

SithLord
    Years
  • I have a decent understanding of colour relations and Photoshop.
    However, I hardly feel as if I'd be on the level of a mentor though.

I would love to learn more about Photoshop and digital design though.
    So, a tutor position would be great for me.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I can do pixel art tutoring, but there's going to have to be some pretty big stipulations about it. I'm also willing to do tutoring on traditional art basics.

Years
  • I can do pixel art tutoring, but there's going to have to be some pretty big stipulations about it. I'm also willing to do tutoring on traditional art basics.

Can you elaborate on the stipulations you have about it? Just curious to see what kind of set up you wanted.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Oh I just meant like, rules like; Don't join my program if the only thing you want to learn is about Pokemon-specific spriting, there's more to pixel art than that. I'm willing to teach you how to make your own sprites and help by guiding you, not doing it for you. No, none of the creations I make can be used in your hack. Etc etc.

Years
  • Oh I just meant like, rules like; Don't join my program if the only thing you want to learn is about Pokemon-specific spriting, there's more to pixel art than that. I'm willing to teach you how to make your own sprites and help by guiding you, not doing it for you. No, none of the creations I make can be used in your hack. Etc etc.

Ah, I see! Having a sort of statement of intent would be useful in that way for both parties, to make sure everyone understands what they're in for/what to expect for a program.
    Well, basically a syllabus.

Circuit

Years
  • {Placeholder for a better run-down}

Before I leave, to give you a quick in-sight into my thought the idea is this: A tutor will take on an apprentice for their chosen topic. The tutor will outline their course to the apprentice, and the apprentice must see it through to the end. At the end of said course, every tutor must present an "exam". A small test encompassing the topics the tutor has previously covered. The tutor will then rate this and "pass" or "fail" it. How a tutor marks this piece is down to them. Should an apprentice "fail" then the tutor can either offer them a new session, re-adding them to the queue, or give them a retest, with short recap sessions.

Those are just terms btw, there is no passing or failing. You will improve, and all that really matters in the end is that you take something away from your mentor, and learn something. Tutors will present to me a course, including things like duration, and content, and apprentices will get to choose what they want to learn.

The rules will be very strict, to make sure this program functions efficiently and properly for everyone's benefit. Deviation from the rules would for example earn you punishments like a school; warnings, exclusion, expulsion. Rules would include things like banning questions related to hacking, using the tutor's content and so on. In this way, the school should function smoothly and be a fun and learning experience for everyone.

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
    Years
  • I'd definitely be interested in being tutored in art. I'm studying graphic design, and I want to learn as much from art as possible so I can be more versatile.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    So, I'm going to ballpark some ideas. I'm assuming this is just the "hey is anyone down for this" thread, so at some point we'll open an official "tutoring program" thread where applicants can actually sign up and launch this thing. In the meantime, I think having an actual application for both students and teachers will be useful.

For tutors:
    Spoiler:

For students
    Spoiler:

Does all of that make sense?

Circuit

Years
  • So, I'm going to ballpark some ideas. I'm assuming this is just the "hey is anyone down for this" thread, so at some point we'll open an official "tutoring program" thread where applicants can actually sign up and launch this thing. In the meantime, I think having an actual application for both students and teachers will be useful.

For tutors:
    Spoiler:

For students
    Spoiler:

Does all of that make sense?

Yeah totally. I was already thinking of something along those lines, but having this solidly in front of me helps greatly! I don't want just anyone signing up to be a tutor, at the same time I don't want inactive people signing up to be tutees. So, I will refine this a bit, but in generally this is the kind of idea I want to go along with :)

Years
  • {Placeholder for a better run-down}

Before I leave, to give you a quick in-sight into my thought the idea is this: A tutor will take on an apprentice for their chosen topic. The tutor will outline their course to the apprentice, and the apprentice must see it through to the end. At the end of said course, every tutor must present an "exam". A small test encompassing the topics the tutor has previously covered. The tutor will then rate this and "pass" or "fail" it. How a tutor marks this piece is down to them. Should an apprentice "fail" then the tutor can either offer them a new session, re-adding them to the queue, or give them a retest, with short recap sessions.

Those are just terms btw, there is no passing or failing. You will improve, and all that really matters in the end is that you take something away from your mentor, and learn something. Tutors will present to me a course, including things like duration, and content, and apprentices will get to choose what they want to learn.

The rules will be very strict, to make sure this program functions efficiently and properly for everyone's benefit. Deviation from the rules would for example earn you punishments like a school; warnings, exclusion, expulsion. Rules would include things like banning questions related to hacking, using the tutor's content and so on. In this way, the school should function smoothly and be a fun and learning experience for everyone.

Mmm does it have to be 1 on 1? : | I think that's too intimidating for beginners and leaves out collaboration projects! I always encourage working together/seeing each others work at the same time.
    Also I wouldn't know how to give a final exam for an art class, as we never had them. We just graded the all the projects and did a final review on all the previous works while talking about where you started, what you've done, and a future plan. (I like pass fail thou, we did grades @ SCAD unlike most art colleges and most professors hated it.)

Would all subjects have strict rules or is it tutor by tudor basis? I perfectly understand Fairy's sentiment about not wanting work to be used in hacking or being asked about it, but I personally don't mind it and would want to encourage doing assignments that would double for any use you need them for.

Is the tutoring only to teach specific mediums? Would it be open to something more, such as instead of "I'm going to teach drawing. With a pencil." can I do a course in Visual Development, learning how to brainstorm, thumbnail, comp, color comps etc.?

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    It really comes down to what you want to make of it and what you, as a tutor, are comfortable with. I think we should be open to any kind of tutoring of any genre (as long as it pertains to art in some facet) with any amount of people at any time with or without any stipulations! There should really be no limits to how you wish to teach/want to learn.

Personally, if I were going to be a student, I'd want to do one on one because I tend to learn better that way. However, that doesn't mean it has to be that way! I think if you're capable of teaching and working with multiple people, go for it! Same with whatever subject you want to teach and how you want to collaborate with the student. Artistic mediums are just an easy way of making categories of art, but by no means is it limited by that. If you think your strengths lie in "color theory" or "visual development" like you suggested, more power to you. The more varied the classes, the better!

As for a final exam of sorts, I was thinking (at least when it comes my vision of how my class would function) it would come down to how well you evidence what you've learned -- and any interpretation of that. But again there's no right or wrong answer here, it's just what you as a tutor are comfortable with.

tl;dr: there shouldn't be any universal limits for a tutor (besides common sense) and any limits should be dictated by the tutors (ie; don't use my art anywhere / I only want to teach one person at a time / I can only work at 3am my time / whathaveyou).

Last edited:
    Years
  • So would it all happen in a thread? Group chats? Skype? I guess that depends on the participants...
    As for one on one or group lessons: I think it could be both? Like, talking about basic info and requirements to a group of people, maybe giving them suggestions for an assignment etc. and then the "students" can contact the tutors privately (like via PM, or VM or on Skype or whatever suits them best) and get some one on one advice, critique and stuff.
    Personally, I'm a big fan of at least some one on one teaching, as it's easier to focus on that specific student's weaknesses and strengths. Though I do also have to agree with Lornami that group work can be great!

EDIT: Also, speaking of collaborations and group work: I think it might be interesting to have some collaboration between the tutors, too! :>
    E.g. I might be able to teach some theory about colouring, how and where to shade correctly etc. using my digital work as an example BUT I use Corel Painter Essentials 4, which is a programme that not many seem to use (understandably, as it's quite old ... I started using it because it came with my tablet and haven't had the money to buy better software woop woop). So I could team up with someone who knows how to use Photoshop or other more popular (and better) programmes to teach the students how to actually achieve what I've been telling them.
    I hope that makes sense ... or maybe I'm just being stupid haha

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Again, whatever works best for the tutor and student. I figure, we receive applications for both parties in an official thread and pair them up (or group them) depending on what their applications dictate. So say we have a student who wants to learn graphic design and has skype, I can claim that student because I'm teaching graphic design and also have skype. Or let's say we have a student who wants to learn Photoshop 101 but would rather do it via PMs, whoever else can claim that student based on those answers. In a thread, in a group chat, via text; whatever works best for everyone.

Flexibility should be key here!

I'm actually working on an official tutor application right now, so once I have it squared away I'll post it along with my own as an example piece.

@queeniewolf; Hm, definitely include the program you use in your application then. I do think in that case collaboration between tutors is a good thing. You will absolutely still be able to teach any subject you want to, since in most cases and there's a universally defined "right" way (I mean, shading is shading no matter what program) you just won't be able to say "see that tool that looks like a pen in the top left corner? use that" since it may not be the same for your student's illustration program. Still, teaching the students the basics and then shuttling them to a Photoshop 101 class that doesn't include the topics you covered in your program would be neat! Like a "queeniewolf's Color Theory class 2.0 taught in Photoshop by Fairy", or something.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I like your idea queenie! Just kinda having another person there to also answer questions/assist in certain aspects could work too. So like, you teach about color, but if you're attending this session you are allowed to contact Fairy for photoshop specific questions or anything like that. I feel more relived, because saying "we're going to have strict rules" got me concerned for a sec. I try and always be organized and attentive, but I'm pretty laid back in terms of teaching/structuring projects when talking to people so hah~

Also why we're thinking about our subjects, just incase anyone wants it here's the way our syllabus were structured if that gives you any idea. Obviously they are super indepth and it doesn't have to be like that but I uh....Didn't...actually know what a syllabus was until college SO!!! Just sharing ;w;
    uhhh I think I can share that stuff from my school I don't remember anyone saying I wasn't allowed to disclose it. the phone is an office line that's been changed now. (and professors never use it anyways)

While I think PMs and Skype calls are important, I think maybe a thread would be nice too, not just so people can make more long formatted posts, but so others who are maybe too shy or unsure can follow along with what we're doing. At the very least, there should be an end of terms showcase or something similar so everyone can see the type of work that was made.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Haha, yeah no there's definitely going to be rules but like nothing too overbearing. As I've been saying, it's all down to the tutor what rules you want to have in place. :)

I may actually make a prefix called [Tutor Program] or [Classes] or something so members can follow along in case they miss a skype lesson or something. And it's going to be super useful because I actually want to structure a CSS class, and a thread is basically the best platform for that. Though, I'd be worried about other students not taking a class because they basically followed the thread for it (not that there's anything particularly wrong with that but.)

Anyway, I like the syllabus idea and I've been working on a tutor application outline:
    Spoiler:

As you can see, it's pretty long informal. I only just briefly covered the stuff but you get the gist of it. Since there's no precedent (freaking auto correct put president lmao) for how long classes will run, I'm tentative to do "this week we'll cover x" just because we don't know yet.

You guys see anything else I should include to this? Let me know cause the more accurate the information the better we can help people. :)

Last edited:
    Years
  • i'm so gonna take your pixel art and css classes teach me plz
    Cool, I like that application! It's got the bases and it's open enough that I can add/organize it in a way that feels right. I get what you mean about people not taking a class because they're just following it, which is actually a huge topic in academics in general. I am personally a proponent of sharing everything ever to be used by others, but I understand it's not like I'm normal about that. I think a thread is probably important to have a general meeting place/announcement, but it's just up to us how much actual content we want inside of the thread. Hopefully an incentive of "I'm not answering questions unless you are or have taken the class before." would also help.

Also in terms of just fun community things it's going so be so cute having a list of classes we've taken/taught <3

I think the only problem now is that there seems to be a majority ready to teach but a little...barren on actual apprentices. Let's just hope they are quietly lurking ready to sign up! : D

edit didn't see that input thing:

I think it's pretty good! Maybe a precautions section? Not sure how to phrase it. Like for me: I have a full-time job so it's gonna be sparse during the week; type thing. It's kind wrapped in the additional information, but I think it's more important than that.
    Personally I would define your illustration programs like Programs you can use: Photoshop, MS Paint, Gimp (idk if that's what you want I used to do everything with ms paint hehe), but I don't think that's like a requirement. What ever gets you the project done. Unless you're taking photoshop obv but yeah!

also also edit:

yes i know that's a real word but hahahahahahaha
    We have got to decide on if we want it to be called mentor/apprentice|term tutor/tutees|course teacher/student|class because it's getting to be too much! xD

Last edited:
    Back