• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Graphics Rating Thread [READ THE FIRST POST. D:<]

Status
Not open for further replies.

/Circa

a face in the clouds.
    Years
    Because my other banner was sheer failure (and I already knew that xD) I made another one, because I absolutely love this render :). I want to make something good out of it. So heaps of C+C would be appreciated.

I think I overused some of the effects, and maybe I shouldnt of used too many gradient maps :P.

Motsuko Live

... pronounced Mös.
    Years
    Haven't rated for a few days while, so I might be a little rusty *stretches*

@ CheesePeow: First things first; WAY to bright. I can just barely make out what the text says, but I still can't really see what he's holding up to his mouth.
    It seems a little bit plain, also. Try adding some abstract brushes. I like how the outer edges are darker than the rest, though.
    It's simple, but adds a lot to the banner. So in conclusion, try darkening it a bit, try adding more brushes, and keep the outer edges. I'm going to rate this a 6/10 that could easily be turned into an 8/10.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Haven't done any banner's in a while, either. I'm slowley slipping away from it all I guess :/ SOMEONE SAVE MEH!

Anyways, here's my most recent:

Kind of in a slump, so C+C GREATLY APPRECIATED!
    Thanks so much;

Motsuko

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Augh, bad blending Motsuko. D:

And to save you, go do your homework. xD You need to give me a new vector banner, not a pre-made one.

Anyway, the effects are really minimalistic on this banner, and that makes it difficult to rate. I like the textures, but the big bold line/streak thing is kind of overwhelming, and the render doesn't stick out at all. It's kind of like, "Eh? Where is it- Oh!" Although I might be kind of hypocritical in saying that. xD; The text is alright, and the positioning is good, but the white behind it just seems totally out of place. A few thousand gradients maps, selective color, and photo filters would probably help make the white look a little more natural. x_X;

I'll spare you the number rating and tell you that... yeeah, you're kind of in a slump. xD;

-----------------

If y'all could rate the Bumblebee banner and just tell me which of these three banners looks the best, I would greatly appreciate it. |D I made the Transformers one as a request for one of my RL friends in like, five minutes to show her how I make banners because I know that she'll never be good enough to do it herself, but I like the outcome. *shot'd* Is it like, too bright though? xD;

Motsuko Live

... pronounced Mös.
    Years
    Reply to Loki:

Lol, thank you Loki xD

Well, I guess it's back to Photoshop...after dinner =P
    And I'll get straight to making that new vector banner, too.

Thanks for being so harsh, I know most people, well...wouldn't lol. (not being sarcastic here, thanks!!)

Motsuko

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    @Loki (lol I typoed it as "loli"): As good as it tends to look, I really think you need to mix up your blending style a bit. The Bumblebee and Throne Ein banners in particular seem boring to me because I've seen that blending like 30 times now. As for the middle one, I already gave my opinion on MSN.

Anyways, had some free time for the first time in a few days, so I was just messing around. XD

Sawyer

���
    Years

Personally I like the third best because of its mildness and the fact that it isn't overly contrasted or sharpened. The first, to me, seems like you went a little overboard smudging or displacing. I also question your text placement, though of course that is entirely up to personal belief... I think the text would be better if you moved it in a bit, but that's just me. I do like the shiny stuff you did, and with a little bit of work you could execute that style very well. Aside from that, toning down the contrast and sharpness would definitely be a good idea.

If you're interested in learning a bit more about smudging and all the various things you can do with it, I'm pretty good friends with a person who is considered to be the father of modern smudge around design forums. I can give you some of his psd's to learn from or his msn if you want.

@Loki (lol I typoed it as "loli"): As good as it tends to look, I really think you need to mix up your blending style a bit. The Bumblebee and Throne Ein banners in particular seem boring to me because I've seen that blending like 30 times now. As for the middle one, I already gave my opinion on MSN.

Anyways, had some free time for the first time in a few days, so I was just messing around. XD

I like everything about this except for the text. I feel like since you used scanlines, which are generally sharp, the softness of the font does not suit it very well. Aside from that, I like your choice of colors especially and your ability to reincorporate different parts of the stock numerous times. The only other thing that slightly bothers me is the fact that there isn't really anything about this piece that makes it stand out. Adding a little oomph or some form of interesting foreground element would definitely allow this piece to progress.

Last edited:

Snivi

..•.¸¸•´¯`•.¸. ஐ
    Years
    @Sawyer I like the banner but it looks like it needs something more like text or something.

Which one of these is better? ^^;

Twinx

s o m e t h i n g M O R E
    Years
    @Animad: I love your banner.. The colors are very pleasing for the eyes. But the text looks more like an "Anti-rip" text... it doesn't work.

@Haine: I like the second one better, but why isn't there a border on the bottom? His body looks cut-off. Also, the text is hard to read... try something easier on the eyes.

-------------------------------------
    Could someone rate this please? Thank you.

-------------------------------------

Years
    Haine:
    i kind of like the second one better. just cause it looks better cut off. :0
    but your type is kind of hard to read cause the font you used it skinny and the stroke is almost touching? you know..? XD and the double border on the edge looks a bit too bold perhaps. i think the second border on the inside should be on a lower opacity or on a blend mode or something like that. because i think the border kinda takes away from the background. XD and it also looks weird how it just cuts off on the bottom.. the border that is. but other than that, i like how the style of the background matches with the image. and the colour scheme you chose is nice.

DarkChild:
    i really like how the image is blended into the background nicely. i also like your type, the font matches the image well and the way its blended looks cool. the blend mode on the smaller type is a bit harsh in some places, like its a bit too contrasty for type? and i like how the overall banner is almost a gradient, fading from dark to light.. just the way you did it looks nice :0 the only thing is, i think its a bittt too monochromatic. maybe make the shades on his head a bit bluer? or some other colour? :0 it might add a bit more interest. and the border might look better on a blend mode as well? cause its really solid compared to everything else. xD so i'll say 8.5/10.

/Circa

a face in the clouds.
    Years
    I've made a new banner from that render, except I cant really put in heaps of effects. (Considering im working with a two colour render)

Last edited:

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Cheesepeow: Just because your render is two-toned doesn't mean you can't make the rest of the background a different color. :< Just depends on how well you incorporate it.

Anyway, Klex, you can't just say it's nice. This isn't the rate the signature above you thread where you can just slap up any random comment. xD This is where you get actual critique and such. So please read the rules before you try to post again. ^^

/Circa

a face in the clouds.
    Years
    Cheesepeow: Just because your render is two colored, doesn't mean you can't make the rest of the background a different color. :< Just depends on how well you incorporate it.

Anyway, Klex, you can't just say it's nice. This isn't the rate the signature above you thread where you can just slap up any random comment. xD This is where you get actual critique and such.

I actually made the background a yellowish colour, cause it looked best, in my views :P. But the gradient maps got rid of that.

Motsuko Live

... pronounced Mös.
    Years
    *looks around* Ok, not too sure if I'm suppose to rate CheesePeow or not seeing as klex pretty much spammed
    I'll rate CheesePeow, just incase.

It's certainly a step up from your previous banner, but it still seems to be missing something. I like how you used the
    text on the right side. I also like how the text on the bottom is half cut off.
    Still, I think you should add some more colors. I like the render, though. Definatley a keeper. ;)
    Like I said before, I like this banner a lot more than the other one you made with this render.
    If you make another one, make sure you put it up! I want to see what you do next.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My last banner was a complete disaster. I tried approaching it from a different angle this time. I also tried a new style. It's a W.I.P, so bare with me. I'm thinking of removing the border on it. Anyway, what do you think?

Anyone have any suggestions for the text I should use? Heaps of C+C appreciated. Trying to get back into the groove of PS.

Snivi

..•.¸¸•´¯`•.¸. ஐ
    Years
    @Motsuko Live - I can't tell what its supposed to be. Maybe a grunge font would work for it. It looks rather industrial.

Is this any better than the last ones?

/Circa

a face in the clouds.
    Years
    Haine Togu: I dont really understand the difference :P. The text is fatter and the banner is a bit taller, but I think the whole thing is way too plain. Try a normal banner ;P. Its much easier to add brushes and work with rather than vertical banners, cause theres not much you can do. To me it looks like a background and one small brush in the corner. But its nice :).

Ive got two banners, one is with the old Sasuke, which I updated a tiny bit. Another is I tried working with two renders. Didnt turn out right I think :S.

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2015
    @ the Sauke banner I think you should remove the scan lines… it makes it look less grunge and more tech…

Twinx

s o m e t h i n g M O R E
    Years
    @CheesePow:
    2nd banner: why is the naruto banner so small?
    Anyway, it flows well.. but sasuke on the right looks like he's slapped on the banner. His colors don't match with the rest of the banner. I think you should leave him out and work on some effects in that area..

-----------------------------------------
    Which one is better? I tried to make it less monochromatic in the second one..

10x =)

Last edited:

Snivi

..•.¸¸•´¯`•.¸. ஐ
    Years
    Haine Togu: I dont really understand the difference :P. The text is fatter and the banner is a bit taller, but I think the whole thing is way too plain. Try a normal banner ;P. Its much easier to add brushes and work with rather than vertical banners, cause theres not much you can do. To me it looks like a background and one small brush in the corner. But its nice :).

Well I took earlier advise and added a bottom border and made the text readable because people said they couldn't read it. I wish you would have rated my banner instead of telling me to make a regular one. You are no help. I don't think you really looked at it. I started all over from stratch. I am trying to learn vertical banners.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back