• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Graphics Rating Thread [READ THE FIRST POST. D:<]

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm torn. Is this good, or junk?

I think its a beaute! It really looks nothing like a first graders painting. There is definately a line for some people between junk and art, but for me I love it. The chaos, and just the humour in the text makes it really cool in my opinion. Keep making banners like this (completely crazy, chaotic hilarious banners) and you will become my favorite graphics artist in all of PC. Not because you have perfectly composed tags, but because it is just creative and fun.

Ok man, I can see what you are trying to do here. I like where you are going with the quasi fiery background. I also can agree with those shapes coming off of the text and render, it does a good job framing the focal, and text. Some things I want to pick at though is the lack of color in this sig. Really all the colors in you're banner are based of off red, and in turn make the tag alot more boring. The only thing not redish is the text wich is light blue, and kinda sticks out like a soar thumb. The last two things you can do to improve is create different different shapes yet using the same theme. Instead of creating one set, then duplicating it and moving it around ( you are not fooling anyone ;D). And lastly work on lighting. Just read a tutorial on that anywhere.

Ok there you are!

Rate this please

Years
    Aw, thanks man :D i'll take that advice then. :)

@ el: it's really contrasted. i like it, but it's really contrasted. it's burning my retnas. let me repeat, it's really contrasted. hahaha. XD

oh, and it looks kinda weird without a border. if it had some kind of black border to offset the contrast, i'm not sure it would even matter to me. the placement of everything, the lighting, the text, i like all of that, i just realllllly would love to see either a border or less burningly bright contrast :P

of course, it might be my monitor too O.o.

i love how the text kind of has texture to it.. :D i think this signature would be great as a theme for your profile or something, because it looks like it'd make an AWESOME avatar, LOL :D

Aw, thanks man :D i'll take that advice then. :)

@ el: it's really contrasted. i like it, but it's really contrasted. it's burning my retnas. let me repeat, it's really contrasted. hahaha. XD

oh, and it looks kinda weird without a border. if it had some kind of black border to offset the contrast, i'm not sure it would even matter to me. the placement of everything, the lighting, the text, i like all of that, i just realllllly would love to see either a border or less burningly bright contrast :P

of course, it might be my monitor too O.o.

i love how the text kind of has texture to it.. :D i think this signature would be great as a theme for your profile or something, because it looks like it'd make an AWESOME avatar, LOL :D

You know what I think its you're monitor (kuz i think its ta shizzle) xD.

But yea I know what you mean I will tone it down a bit.

Növa

öööööööööööö? ?öööööööööööö ööööö
    Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2008
    You know what I think its you're monitor (kuz i think its ta shizzle) xD.

But yea I know what you mean I will tone it down a bit.

I actually love it. Most pixel-related banners tend to do that. I'm just trying to figure out what the white square is behind the F and the O. Heh. It's great though.

Motsuko Live

... pronounced Mös.
    Years
    I'm just trying to figure out what the white square is behind the F and the O. Heh. It's great though.
    How you picked that out I'll never understand.

So... does this mean I get a free rate!? :D

I know... a bit too blurry in some places. Whatever, I'll fix that later.

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
    @Michael - It looks like crap. Scrap it. It DOES look like a first grader scribbled all over it with crayons. Artistically, it's lacking every aspect. Truthfully, it really just looks like techni-color vomit. "Creative" as everyone else calls it, it really just says that you're too lazy to come up with something more original than "border border border". My 5 year old cousin could come up with something better.

@Swampert - What makes the blue text okay by any means? You still need severe help with colors; how many times do I have to post that link?

www.colourlovers.com

USE IT. ABUSE IT. Your colors need help. Having monotone tags all the time makes critiquing your work really boring and a much larger task than it needs to be. LERN2COLOR! Your light is all over the place and none of it is complimenting the stock. Do I really need to make a tutorial on lighting? It's not that complicated. Just look at the shadows and highlights on the stock and plant a 100 px soft brush that's light yellow where it compliments it. Never is it okay to have multiple light sources! Oh, if you want to have text that stands out but is complimentary, just grab the eye dropper tool on Flare's eye and get that dark green bit and use that as your text color.

@Capitano - Uhh your lighting is everywhere too. While you can have that starry soft effect around the sprite, that doesn't mean you can have light off on the far ends of the tag. Darken the corners up because I assume you don't want your tag to look like someone's shining a spot light on it. The light yellow block behind the text keeps catching my eye. I'd like to see more of a foreground as well, since the stock basically looks slapped on, with the exception of those funny purple dots.

@.freak - Green hardly ever works but you had a good run with this tag. The butterflies and swirls on the right side of the tag are throwing this thing as a whole for a loop, because you have something manly and modern, and then you have those girly aspects. It'd look better without them. Overall it's not really a bad tag, but the stock gets lost in the little black hole you created there. I'd like to see more of the stuff you have behind the phone infront of it, but only one or two things so the phone isn't completely dominated.

-------------

Something I just threw together.

SwampertTrainer

The Lord of Photoshop
    Years
    The text color was not my idea. The request said to make it "baby blue"
    Thanks for the link again, I tried to find it a while ago, but it wasn't there. How about if it is at all possible not to rate my stuff, just don't. It seems like too much of a hassle for you.

~end of discussion~

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2015
    MAINI: The border type and the sotw part seems unnecessary. Like the focal… but the rainbow and sun could've been something else, because it does give off the it's a childish sig feel to it.

CT: I hate when sprites get sharpened. Bit bland on the right but also a bit bright.

freak: Make the greens brightness match the brightness of the phone.

CME: Like the simplistic look, but maybe a bit more grungy on the text… The colours are a tad dull… but… then again that's your style. :/
    Also cheers for the colour thing.

Years
    @Michael - It looks like crap. Scrap it. It DOES look like a first grader scribbled all over it with crayons. Artistically, it's lacking every aspect. Truthfully, it really just looks like techni-color vomit. "Creative" as everyone else calls it, it really just says that you're too lazy to come up with something more original than "border border border". My 5 year old cousin could come up with something better.

LOL, it's lacking, artistically, in every aspect? I, with experience, disagree. It's a signature, dude, I wasn't trying to be a contemporary Van Gogh or something... It's a little tag you put under your post on a forums, hence I made it slightly humorous, and fun. I can take criticism, but you crossed the extremely thick line between insulting and criticizing about 20 feet back. It was on the theme of typography. I came up with something interesting and fun involving typography. Honestly, I've been practicing computer graphics longer than your cousin's been alive. Next time you offer me advice, at least, make sure it's actually advice, and not just some blather to raise your self-esteem, or don't do it at all.

I can totally understand you saying that you personally don't like it, and would love to see something more serious instead, but you simply threw some insults out there and called it a day. Every other signature you seemed to give some actual advice on how to make it better, you just said mine looked like technicolor vomit.

Sorry to almost start a flame war, but how he was being obnoxious, I thought, and needed to be put in his place in public.

Regarding his signature, the text sucks. It was badly placed, badly colored, and looks kind of blurry to me compared to the rest of the signature. Redo the text completely. I'd kind of love to see some stronger lighting, or something, to make it a bit less plain. Other than the text, it has excellent general composition, arrangement, and such... May I also offer that I LOVE YOUR COLORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!eom LOL.

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
    Everything I said was my way of saying, "personally, I don't like it." Want me to give you "proper" critique? Here it goes.

If you're going to do the "border border border" thing on all edges, then you should at least do it on the bottom. Without it, it looks iffy. Like you gave a concrete edge to the other 3 sides but not the last one. For a "unique" tag such as this, dull boring colors aren't the way to go. Go bright, citrus colors. I use citric colors all the time in my icons and they get a lot of compliments. My favorite color palette for citric colors:

I don't like how the "p" in "typography" follows the exact same line is the "y". I completely skipped over it when I tried to read it because I didn't see it at all. Make it look more like a p. Don't really like the thick stroke over the "16bit". A thinner stroke would look better.

Better?

Oh, and for the record, I'm a girl.

Years
    That's all I ask. If you don't like something, you can say that, as rudely as you feel like, say it sucks ass and I should die, but this thread isn't for just a declaration of your favorite style or something, it's for giving constructive advice. Now that you've given me some ideas, I can say: "Hey, you know, she's right, I'll take that into consideration next time!"

Anyway, hope you aren't pissed, I just really dislike it when people are almost try not to be helpful in their critique, but instead to just make a mockery of people and their art. Now that you've posted something, in my opinion, constructive, I'll thank you, offer to shake your hand, and annually send you belated Birthday cards.

Anyway, thanks again, and I'll try to be as helpful as possible any time I criticize your work as well, like I think we all should on an art forum! :D

It's really small, and really blurry. I dislike the butterflies on the far right. It's just.. Not very focused. It looks chaotic, but it also looks like you tried to make it look focused. You can't have both, and it kind of seems that's what this signature is trying to do. I think it could use more color... But that's just me. I do really like the left side's shapes, and stuff, but they need to be sharper... At the moment it just kind of looks like you blurred some vector brushes. If they were sharpened and you added some cool lighting though... I see potential in this, but it doesn't look at all like a finished piece to me yet. Oh, and giving it a glossy look might look kind of cool too, because of the stock, but I don't know, that's just my quirky in-head-voice speaking probably.

The border and colors on this bug me. I might redo the colors. Also, yes, I did find a render of a parrot on a website and then use Illustrator's Live Trace on it. I think it looks cool. Screw you all. I love parrots. They're cool. And colorful. And stuff. Yeah. I went there.

Aren't gradient maps wonderful? That looks better... :D

Okay, or maybe that. Wow. I'm color bipolar today.

PoKéMaKeR1

Pokemon Rancher creator!
    Years
    I'm not sure if this is the right thread but..
    I would like someone to rate my first scratch pokemon sprite, it's some kind of dog and it's probably going to be a fire type
    please rate :D

PoKéMaKeR

That's all I ask. If you don't like something, you can say that, as rudely as you feel like, say it sucks ass and I should die, but this thread isn't for just a declaration of your favorite style or something, it's for giving constructive advice. Now that you've given me some ideas, I can say: "Hey, you know, she's right, I'll take that into consideration next time!"

Anyway, hope you aren't pissed, I just really dislike it when people are almost try not to be helpful in their critique, but instead to just make a mockery of people and their art. Now that you've posted something, in my opinion, constructive, I'll thank you, offer to shake your hand, and annually send you belated Birthday cards.

Anyway, thanks again, and I'll try to be as helpful as possible any time I criticize your work as well, like I think we all should on an art forum! :D

It's really small, and really blurry. I dislike the butterflies on the far right. It's just.. Not very focused. It looks chaotic, but it also looks like you tried to make it look focused. You can't have both, and it kind of seems that's what this signature is trying to do. I think it could use more color... But that's just me. I do really like the left side's shapes, and stuff, but they need to be sharper... At the moment it just kind of looks like you blurred some vector brushes. If they were sharpened and you added some cool lighting though... I see potential in this, but it doesn't look at all like a finished piece to me yet. Oh, and giving it a glossy look might look kind of cool too, because of the stock, but I don't know, that's just my quirky in-head-voice speaking probably.

The border and colors on this bug me. I might redo the colors. Also, yes, I did find a render of a parrot on a website and then use Illustrator's Live Trace on it. I think it looks cool. Screw you all. I love parrots. They're cool. And colorful. And stuff. Yeah. I went there.

Aren't gradient maps wonderful? That looks better... :D

Okay, or maybe that. Wow. I'm color bipolar today.

v1. FTW! I really like this piece. Great vectoring like always, and the typography is well placed. I know some people are going to pick at the circle thing in you're bird, but it is actualy a great effect. The only thing I really want to pick at is that wierd blue brushing on the left of the tag. It just seems out of place, and shouldn't really be there. Kinda looks random xD

Yea my Sotw entry.

Years
    That "great vectoring" was just really good use of Live Trace. LOL.

Before I say anything else, make the halo a different color than the text. That's like, ultra-bugging me.

Yeah... I don't even know how that blue smudge got there. Must have been something I did without thinking about it much... Haha!

Overall I think your tag needs more text... It is typography after all. Type what you feel, LOL!

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    UHMMMM. Which one should I rate...

Well, I think it's pretty sweet. Love the texture, and the colors kick butt. Like srs. Thanks for that link by the by, it's amazing. :O Anyway, the yellow splatter in the bottom left corner; I'd love to see some more of that. It'd look a little less out-of-place if there was more, too, so yeah, I vote for more of that. The pentooling is teh shizz, and that reflection of the focal is ingenious. Very original tag altogether, but I must say that I'm not a fan of that text. You're really good at pulling off that grainy paper effect though. :O Kudos for those. What I don't like is that motion blur-ish thing on your stock's shoulder. I... personally, am torn over it. It looks cool, but I just don't like it in this tag. :|

And neither am I particularly fond of how you worded your crit towards Michael Allison's typography tag- Ease up there, we're all stuck with each other, so we gotta get along, yeah? ;<

Anyway, I don't think I did this right, and neither do I like it much, but frick it. I was mostly just trying out one of the color palettes on the site that CME linked to.

Lyrics from 24 and They, by Jem. <3 Except for Typography. :| Stupid SoTW. I'm not sure if I'll be joining yet though.

Michael is pwning. <_<

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
    @Michael - I'm more of a fan of version 3. The colors of the parrot are much more vibrant than the other two and they mimic a real one. Call me delusional or whatever the proper word is, but I didn't even see that thick stroke around the parrot until now. I'd like to see that thinned, as well as sharpened; it looks blurry in lots of places. The difference border is not my favorite thing, either. I like the circle you have over the parrot but I don't like how it just cuts off. What I'd do is make it smaller and have it be a whole circle, or you can do what I did in one of my LPs (linked here). It just looks odd as it is right now. Really digging the text in this one, but again, not liking that thick stroke.

@Capitano - I agree with Michael in every way... mainly cause I'm too tired to post something original. xD

@Loki - Uhh do I really have to rate this? XD I'm terribad at rating all text pieces since there's nothing really there. xD Don't shoot! Loving all the colors of text, though. And Michael and I are all good now. Nevar phear! : D

Now, off to watch the VMAS!!!!! BRITNEEEEYYYYY!!!!!!! ♥♥♥♥

Lyrics from 24 and They, by Jem. <3 Except for Typography. :| Stupid SoTW. I'm not sure if I'll be joining yet though.

Michael is pwning. <_<

Beautiful tag Loki.

I love the whole mis match of different color, and style texts. Something that I would do to just make it a lil better is to do some dodging and burning, and sharpening and bluring. Not to mutch, but enough to give it some depth.

Really I don't think there are many things for me to pick at. Great job man!

Ok, new tag. Rates please!

Years
    @Loki: I love it. Seriously. Make it into a wallpaper, LOL. I'd change the colors a tad bit though, the yellow looks weird.

@Capitano: Beautiful, but too simple. That's pretty much all. I don't have anything to say bad about the sig, because it's too simple. Lolz. :)

@CME: Thx for the advice, and you hate ALL LARGE STROKE. just noticing that. >.> lol

Yeah, no signature this time, no long drawn out rates or criticism, just a quick post before I go to do some work... haha!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back