• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The great debate: are you in or out?

Spiff

love child
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 30, 2023
    I find it interesting that people are so afraid of sharing their opinion that they'd rather stick to areas that require little to no thought at all.
    lol. It's a pokemon forum. I don't know what you were expecting.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
    I love me a good debate, the problem is, on the internet they more often morph quickly into circlejerks.

What used to be a topic where people argued and expressed their opinions over certain topics becomes a thread for people who are on one side, and one side only. It eventually gets to the point where 2-3 posts are made against a single other, each given a like (or whatever the equivalent is) by the others making the same argument. It gets to the point that some people feel uncomfortable posting in the thread, because one side has taken over and other opinions aren't welcome.

It's a problem even here, and if you don't believe me, just check any D&D thread over a day old.

Not to mention people crying "logical fallacy" over every post they don't agree with just to sound smart and try to end an argument then and there.

Another problem is that hypocrisy tends to run rampant, and if you point it out, people pretend like it doesn't matter or that both arguments are still logical and relevant. Similarly, everyone tries to pass opinions or very swayed statistics as facts.

Years
    Overall, I enjoy D&D because it gives me an opportunity to discuss worldly topics instead of the mindless babble that is present throughout most of the other sections. I find it interesting that people are so afraid of sharing their opinion that they'd rather stick to areas that require little to no thought at all.

I'm pretty much of the same opinion. I find the topics in D&D much more interesting than in other sections of the forum. If I'm not knowledgeable to comment in any of the threads I also like reading them.

I find it's a fantastic way to learn about other members.

I do think that sometimes people can be too sensitive in some topics. If something is posted in D&D people need to expect that someone may argue the unpopular opinion and they should be allowed to. If everyone just agrees with each other it's no longer a debate and no fun.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    I tend to not even look at D&D because for starters I don't really care enough about any topic or world events to even post something and then on top of that the one or two times that I have posted in there I've not gotten a very nice response iirc which is to be expected when you think something others don't agree with. I just don't care enough to be bothered.

Sir Codin

I occasionally post there to give my two cents, but sometimes I just bow out. Sometimes I avoid it altogether because a lot of people's opinions on certain subjects piss me off too much.

Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2015
    I'm more of a lurker, I'll listen and if I agree with what is being said I remain silent. I don't hesitate to object if I have a valuable point to make. Not a fan of people that like to talk to hear themselves talk.

Back