• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Hardest Catch

Years
  • Beldum in Pearl. Same catch rate as legendaries and only uses Take Down (kills itself with Recoil a lot).

I agree with you, why have a non-legendary have a legendary catch rate?

Beldum/Metang/Metagross are almost impossible to catch.

Cazzef

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • Ohhhh the hardest catch I had was either Uxie or Azelf in Pokemon Diamond, I remember spending so much time trying to catch them, it was really frustrating, but inevitably in the end, I caught it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2014
    Always the legendary of the game. I tend to just use my Masterball on it and then when I get to the other legendaries, they are caught easily. Except in Diamond, all the legendaries just wouldn't stay in the Dusk balls.

Antisocial.

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • Kyogre in Sapphire. It took me two hours to catch it. -_- I was literally just switching out my Pokémon and using revives, then throwing Ultra Balls on every other turn. It had maybe 2HP left, and it was asleep for multiple turns, but no. I had to use the very last Pokéball in my bag to get it... and it was just a Pokéball! Not even a Great Ball. Sad.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • Mespirit in Diamond. I got a used copy to replace my original and the last person didn't catch the Lake Guardians so I figured I catch them and transfer them to my White before restarting. I hate roaming Pokemon since they always free after one turn. I didn't it's easier to use a Pokemon with mean look and then weaken it. It took a month to train my Umbreon in HG to learn Mean Look and then I had to trade it over. When I finally blocked it , it took 70 Ultra Balls to catch it and I bought 100.

The Grubby Pup

Where's mah shiny squeaky ball
    Years
  • Legendaries are always a hassle to capture, that's one of the reasons why I despise them. LOL

But yeah...I find it hard to capture Murkrow (God, I hated catching Murkrow in D/P/Pt...Always busting outta my Dusk Ball with that retarded cry it has LOL)

Misdreavus, Skarmory, Electabuzz and Magmar are a couple of more whenever encountering them. In order to capture them I would halfta hit them with a status ailment; Par, Psn, Slp, the works!!!

...And also...Chansey...I mean, it's so weak defense wise, but can easily break outta Pokeball?!?! LOL

Years
  • The legendary Pokemon I had most trouble catching was Rayquaza in Sapphire. I remember saving right in front of it with 20 Ultra Balls in my bag (had already used the Master Ball on Latias), and having to retry for nearly an hour just to catch it. The non-legendary I've always had the most trouble with is Skarmory on any game. It always takes a half-dozen balls for me to catch one, even when it's asleep and low on HP.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • Chansey in the RGBY/FRLG Safari Zone. Not matter what it would run after I threw one of the three options. It took me 2 weeks to finally get one.

Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2012
    Definitely the hardest has been Regice. I had to restart my game about 10 different times, and I had 20 ultra balls + 10 great balls per restart. Since he has lower PP moves, he would run out and start struggling, ending up killing himself before I could ever catch him. What a punk.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I have really bad memories of trying to capture Articuno in Blue version. I think it's because it was the only legendary bird of that generation that I wanted (and had already made Zapdos faint), but I was determined to get it... and waste about 50 Ultra Balls in the process. I managed to get it eventually, but it was probably with a Great Ball or something daft like that!

Cyprium

Maître de la Terre
    Years
  • It might sound odd but I had an extremely hard time catching Terrakion. No other legendary took me three consecutive hours to catch. Cobalion and Virizion were no problem at all, just Terrakion.

I had the hardest time in Gen V. Tornadus was also a pain because I had a bout of Pokérus come and go while I was trying to catch it. It really irked me when I realized my Stunfisk, my HM slave, was one of the six that had obtained Pokérus.

Terrakion and Tornadus are the bane of my existence. Or maybe it's just legendary Pokémon whose names begin with the letter T.

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2023
    My Heracross in Platinum. The only pokemon I ever caught that took me two consecutive hours to catch

Years
  • My Heracross in Platinum. The only pokemon I ever caught that took me two consecutive hours to catch

What the heck? Are you trying to say it was a "Legendary" Heracross?

You must have been really unlucky, damn random number generators...

Last edited:

Kae Kyo

you're like oxygen to me.
    Years
  • I remember trying to catch Articuno and Zapdos. Zapdos was the worst though. I know I used around 50+ Ultra Balls and even had to reset a couple times. Uxie was just plain mean. I put it to sleep and everything and it still took me about 30+ dusk balls to catch it.

DominusValdo

Friend to all...
    Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2012
    My experience was with a Metang in the Giant Chasm in Pokemon White. It was at level 54 and they don't pop up often. It had awesome defense so it took a couple of turns to get down to red. I had 25 ultra balls and a few timer balls. I used up all my ultra balls and timer balls... NOTHING WOULD CATCH IT! I then used a normal, red and white pokeball as a last resort. CAUGHT!??! It was worth it, a huge powerhouse as Metagross.

Years
  • My experience was with a Metang in the Giant Chasm in Pokemon White. It was at level 54 and they don't pop up often. It had awesome defense so it took a couple of turns to get down to red. I had 25 ultra balls and a few timer balls. I used up all my ultra balls and timer balls... NOTHING WOULD CATCH IT! I then used a normal, red and white pokeball as a last resort. CAUGHT!??! It was worth it, a huge powerhouse as Metagross.

I agree with that 100%, due to their Legendary-esque catch rates it's much better to breed a Beldum and raise it.

Back