• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The hardest Super Mario Game

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2013
    As a hardcore gamer myself, I'm kinda sad to have never played a Super Mario game. Hmm.. Does xbox have any mario games? Haha.

xHayleyChan

Lover of Cheesecake
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Apr 16, 2016
    I have only played two "difficult" Mario Games (as I would call them), 64 on the VC Wii, which I have blogged about before and I find hard on some points and is a kinda difficult game at times but the second is Mario Sunshine.

A game, people are quite sure hates them. They really turned up the difficulty switch on Sunshine which I only got to maybe the 3rd level, possibly forth?
    I was really struggling at that point.

So my vote would have to go for Sunshine overall.

(BTW, the only other Mario game I have played is infact Mario 3, which may be my favorite one I have played.)

Black Bolt

Leader of Inhumans
    Years
    i find super mario 3 hard
    i could never beat world 3 because of those man eating fishies that eat mario
    soo annoying
    actually the only super mario bros game i own

MagicalNeko

Magical and Fluffy Trainer
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2012
    I actually found the Lost Levels to be fairly easy, not to brag I am kinda a God ay Mario games though, I beat SMB3 at age 2 so I picked it up fairly easy. Tbh the only hard Mario is a hacked version, look up SMBW item abusing to see what I mean by that. xD

Same here!! I was playing Mario All-Stars on the SNES when I was way young xD I found Lost Levels to be (fairly) easy!! It was definitely harder than the SMB but I'm surprised it's meant to be hard, this is the first I've heard of it xP

Although, SM3D on the 3DS..hoooly cow the Special levels when you complete the game are so difficult. I just screw up so much on them D;

xelarator

Gentlemen.
    Years
    i find super mario 3 hard
    i could never beat world 3 because of those man eating fishies that eat mario
    soo annoying
    actually the only super mario bros game i own

Yeah, i hate those fish too. Luckily, I-barely-got past world three and got through the rest of the worlds until I hit the VERY last one, world 8. I kept dieing and dieing and dieing and dieng and DIEING. ugh.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Same here!! I was playing Mario All-Stars on the SNES when I was way young xD I found Lost Levels to be (fairly) easy!! It was definitely harder than the SMB but I'm surprised it's meant to be hard, this is the first I've heard of it xP

Although, SM3D on the 3DS..hoooly cow the Special levels when you complete the game are so difficult. I just screw up so much on them D;
    Go try The Lost Levels again on the original Famicom version. It doesn't have any save feature. Good luck :B

I would say The Lost Levels, Sunshine, and NSMBWii are probably the most challenging.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Lost Levels, definitely. I don't think I even got past World 2? Though I haven't played it in years, so it might be time to give it another whirl. Second place goes to Sunshine. I will never beat that game. Ever. lmfao.

.MiKeY

Tank Operator
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016

Go try The Lost Levels again on the original Famicom version. It doesn't have any save feature. Good luck :B

I would say The Lost Levels, Sunshine, and NSMBWii are probably the most challenging.

I have, beat in one go round. I have mad Mario playing skills. Probably the games I have played the most in all honesty.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I have, beat in one go round. I have mad Mario playing skills. Probably the games I have played the most in all honesty.
    I replay Super Mario Bros. 1-3 (both versions of 2) and World frequently. Will be again soon too.

My point was directed at MagicalNeko. Being that the All-Stars version was deliberately made easier and more accommodating through the save feature. So, the Famicom version should be played to see what the big deal is.

.MiKeY

Tank Operator
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016
    In all honestly, I wouldn't bother playing the regular versions of the games, I would only play hacks mainly due to the variety of what is offered from them. SMB3 hacks are the the hardest IMO.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
    (Yoshi's Island is not a Mario game)

But the full title is known as Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, so doesn't that make it a Mario game?

Anyway sweeties, I would say Super Mario Bros 2 for the Famicom Disk System, AKA Super Mario Bros : Lost Levels. Also NSMB Wii wasn't too hard, it was between SMB3 and SMW in difficulty. Now adding 3 additional players who have their own agenda...now that's a challenge, sweetie.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    But the full title is known as Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, so doesn't that make it a Mario game?

Anyway sweeties, I would say Super Mario Bros 2 for the Famicom Disk System, AKA Super Mario Bros : Lost Levels. Also NSMB Wii wasn't too hard, it was between SMB3 and SMW in difficulty. Now adding 3 additional players who have their own agenda...now that's a challenge, sweetie.
    That's a tacked on North American creation. Maybe it carried over into Europe and elsewhere too, not sure. But, in Japan it was just "Yoshi's Island".

The Yoshi games are more like a subseries. I wouldn't say the Wario Land games are Mario titles either.

I found NSMBW too be more difficult than SMW, but maybe mostly from trying to get the coins.

Jeremy

Years

That's a tacked on North American creation. Maybe it carried over into Europe and elsewhere too, not sure. But, in Japan it was just "Yoshi's Island".

The Yoshi games are more like a subseries. I wouldn't say the Wario Land games are Mario titles either.

I found NSMBW too be more difficult than SMW, but maybe mostly from trying to get the coins.

I believe it was called Super Mario: Yoshi's Island in Japan.

I know they're a sub series, I just like being REALLY technical, sweetie. XD

Indeed it was more difficult then SMW, but not as difficult then SMB3.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I believe it was called Super Mario: Yoshi's Island in Japan.

I know they're a sub series, I just like being REALLY technical, sweetie. XD

Indeed it was more difficult then SMW, but not as difficult then SMB3.
    I know. I never actually saw why they did that though. Yoshi's Island DS didn't get that. Or Yoshi's Story. Touch & Go... I think the name was mostly as a hook so it wasn't totally new and foreign. Like how the first Wario Land was subtitled "Super Mario Land 3" when it wasn't a Mario Land game at all. So, "You like Mario, it's a Mario game!" and North America strengthened that with the "World 2" monicker. And of course the GBA version is part of the Super Mario Advance series, so my argument is null at this point XD But, I don't see it as a Mario game.

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
    Years
    Super Mario Land can be hard and easy. The main levels are pretty challenging but the special levels can be evil.

Jeremy

Years
    I found SMB3 easy. I beat all the levels on the GBA version. All of them except for the e-Levels.

Aw sweetie, you missed out on the e-Levels. D= You could always Gameshark them or the alternate route, eBay.

Also SMB3 was easy, it's just out of the 3 from SMW, NSMBWii, and SMB3, in my opinion, SMB3 was the hardest.

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years

It says Super Mario: Yoshi Island for the Japanese title.
    Super Mario World 2: Yoshi Island for the English title.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years

It says Super Mario: Yoshi Island for the Japanese title.
    Super Mario World 2: Yoshi Island for the English title.
    Yeah, I know. I conceded that already. And explained why I think that was. No other Yoshi games have that tie. It's a separate sub-series.

But, I've never seen the Super Mario part on Japanese material for the game written out in Roman characters though. I've always just seen "YOSSY ISLAND"

Back