• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Headache of Zelda: Making sense of the timeline

EmeraldSky

Make the Colors in the Sky!
    Years
    The chronological order of the Zelda games has always been a hot debate in fan circles...there are just as many timeline theories as there are fans.

That being said, I present to you my own personal timeline theory. Please understand that this is just my opinion on the matter, and not the be-all end-all. If you have your own timeline you want to share, or want to debate points of mine, you can do that here. Just keep debates to a civilized discussion.

So, here is my timeline theory, in simple graphical terms:

I believe there are four Links, with each one's adventures being laid out as follows:

Link #1:

Ocarina of Time->Majora's Mask->Twilight Princess

Link #2:

A Link to the Past->Oracle of Ages/Oracle of Seasons->Link's Awakening->The Legend of Zelda->Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Link #3:

The Wind Waker->Phantom Hourglass

Link #4:

The Minish Cap->Four Swords->Four Swords Adventures

If you need detailed explanations of why I placed each game as I did, I will be happy to give them.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Yay! Someone finally made this thread. This shall be fun. I'm about to sign out, but I'll be on tomorrow to scare you all with my obsessiveness. But...I'm curious... detailed explanations and reasons for your timeline please?

Right off the bat I see at least two things wrong with it. But I'll stay silent. I want to see what others'll say. :p

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
    Link #1:

Ocarina of Time->Majora's Mask->Twilight Princess

The OOT-->MM makes sense but as I read in Nintendo Power, Twilight Princess takes place 100 years after OOT and says that the 2 Links and Zeldas are not the same or related in anyway, everything else, i'm still thinking about ^^

EmeraldSky

Years
    I remember reading somewhere that TP was set in the same timeframe as Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, so that's why I put it where I did.

TP having a seperate Link could very well be a possibility.

As for me putting Ocarina of Time where I did, Miyamoto-sama himself has explicitly said this comes first.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Here's my rough timeline. I'm going to replay everything and take notes to get more accurate, but this should do for now.

Link I - The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    Why is this first and not OoT? Eiji Aonuma said in an interview (I believe that it was for the release of FSA) that the original FS was the oldest tale in Zelda chronology. Now, if TMC tells the beginning of the Four Sword saga (what with the forging of the Four Sword and Vaati becoming a Wind Mage and all), then it would come before FS. Therefore, it's first. The game can be open for interpretation too. It could potentially explain why the Kokiri wear green hats, why monsters populate Hyrule, etc.

Link II - The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords
    Mmm...this could be different Link. However, it is stated that Zelda already trusts Link above anyone else - so they must have some kind of existing relationship. But, the backstory provided in the manual contains an adventure not presented in TMC. So, something's missing.

Link III - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Prior to those FS revelations, it was widely accepted that OoT came first. Umm...I don't think anyone will disagree with this, so no point in defending it.

Link III - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    If you want a time frame, Nintendo of America say three months after the events of OoT. But that has little effect on anything. No need to defend this either. It is a direct sequel to OoT.

Link IV - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    At least 100 years after the events of OoT. Within that time however, a lot has happened. Geography's changed a little, but Kakariko has been abandoned and relocated. All races are present, or at least mentioned in some way. Anyone think that the Ooccoo are somehow connected to TMC's Wind Tribe? :o Hey. What dungeon did the Armos appear in? Was it City in the Sky? I don't remember. But, TMC tells us that the Minish created Armoses for the Wind Tribe long ago.

Link V - The Legend of Zelda: Hyrulean Adventure
    I'm not too sure about this. Somehow the Mirror of Twilight must be put back together. In this game, Ganon uses the Mirror of Darkness to send people to the Dark World (similar to how the Twili were banised the the Twilight Realm via the Mirro of Twilight). A series of Dark Link are seen in a TP cutscene in reference to Hyrule's history of war. I'm pretty sure that that had to do with the Fierce Wars that were pre-OoT; but if not then...I think FSA/HA comes before TP due to it's use large use of Dark Link. Or...maybe that cutscene was just artsy, because Ganon wasn't free again yet. At least, as far as we know. Confusing. The overworld map for Hyrulean Adventure is also a bit flooded. Which leads into...

Link VI - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
    Hundreds of years after OoT. The events of OoT, TP, and FSA, make up the Imprisoning War (the Fierce Wars kick starts this). ... Kind of. You have to be really liberal with that interetation. If we go by the old ALttP (which has now been reconned), then only OoT would be the war. But...at the end of FSA, Ganon is sealed within the Four Sword, and in Japan the Imprisoning War is called the War of Sealing. Ganon's seal is also a triangular prisim, which is what it was in some official art for ALttP. Anyway...getting off track. In TWW, the King speaks of Hylian knights who fell in battle during the war. FSA anyone? So, we know that TWW is after that at least.

Link VII - The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    This game has to do with the Dark World. It was first created when Ganon was sealed in the Sacred Realm in OoT, it was then expanded during FSA, and now it's a seperate realm onto itself like the Twilight Realm. Ganondorf has been imprisoned once, and probably killed twice by now. As, FSA shows us, Ganon is a mythological beast or spirit who keeps inhabiting a new Ganondorf, although the beast is capable of standing on it's own. And, that's what you get in ALttP. Or it could be the power of the Dark World. Regardless, you're facing Ganon not Ganondorf, and Ganon is destroyed. For good. So, we won't be seeing him for a while now...

Link VII - The Legend of Zelda: Oracle Series
    Or, maybe you will. Twinrova revives Ganon, but the keyword here is...revived. This shows that he was defeated in ALttP. Once revived he is a bumbling manical fool. The lands in the Oracle Series lie east and west of ALttP's Hyrule. Probably. I've examined the maps. And given a few liberties, like the back side of Death Mountain being call Talus (as it was in FS) then this would work. Link leaves on a boat.

Link VII - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
    It is official that this is a direct sequel to ALttP. But I put the Oracles inbetween there because of the boat thing. Oracles end on a boat, LA starts on a boat. Link's Nightmares include past foes from ALttP, so that adds to the authenticity of the sequel claim.

Link VIII - The Legend of Zelda
    How does this work? I'm not sure. Ganon is back for some reason. Back in these days, story was null. But, in AoL we learn that Ganon's minions can revive him by using Link's blood. Maybe they did that. Link VII died or something. I don't know. But somehow Ganon is back. But, not my fault. It is confirmed that ALttP is a prequel to LoZ.

Link VIII - Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
    This is a weak explaation but...this is the only game with a numerical value. Therefore it is the sequel to all the other games. We know that is is a direct sequel to LoZ, no need for an explanation.

Now, another way of examining the timeline is with the state of Triforce.

- Creation of Hyrule and Triforce; whole in Sacred Realm
    - TMC; not mentioned
    - FS; not mentioned
    - Fierce Wars; sought after
    - OoT; whole in Sacred Realm, in Ganon's clutches, split
    - MM; not mentioned
    - TP; Ganon has Power
    - FSA; not mentioned
    - TWW; split. Courage split and hidden beneath the waves. Ganon has Power. Wisdom hidden with royale family. At the end it is united.
    - ALttP; united
    - Oracles; united, in Hyrule Castle
    - LA; not mentioned
    - LoZ; split, Ganon had power, wisdom was split and hidden, courage is in the Great Palace
    - AoL;united in the end.

:o It's split in LoZ? Oh noes. How comes. The Legend of Sleeping of Zelda. A small technicality. It states that at some point in time, Zelda's brother sent a wizard to question Zelda on the locaion of the Triforce. This was because the King died and the Prince could only inherit a piece of it. He wanted the other two pieces and Zelda knew where it was. A spell was placed upon her, wherein she fell asleep for ages. In her memory, every female of the Royal Family was named Zelda. You would think this would go erly on in the timeline, no? I would. But, I can't get it to fit. The Triforce is split in LoZ because of the King's death. I guess that would go after ALttP, because that's when it's whole. This would be fine and all, if...we didn't have seven other Princess Zeldas already. @@

That's my bare bones timeline. I could go more detailed, but this is just a simple post.

EmeraldSky

Years
    Wow, that's a lot of Links!

If we were to revise my timeline to include a potential Link #5:

Link #1:

Ocarina of Time->Majora's Mask

Link #2:

Twilight Princess

Link #3:

A Link to the Past->Oracle of Ages/Oracle of Seasons->Link's Awakening->The Legend of Zelda->Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Link #4:

Link #5:

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    My theory: The Legend of Zelda chronology is a LEGEND that has been told for centuries with several different accounts by different people, hence the variation in style and lack of discernible continuity.

~Jak~

PC's Number One Zelda Fan
    Years
    Wow, that's a lot of Links!

If we were to revise my timeline to include a potential Link #5:

Link #1:

Ocarina of Time->Majora's Mask

Link #2:

Twilight Princess

Link #3:

Link #4:

Link #5:

Ok i am pretty sure that 1 and two is right...

But i think that its

1st link = ocarina of time + Majoras mask + Twilight princess

2nd link = Legend of zelda + a link to the past + adventure of link

3rd link = Ages + seasons

Hyrule is ruined by the great flood and...

3rd link = Wind waker + phantom hourglass

Four swords is seperate to the timeline...?

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Allstories, there is a timeline to the series. Miyamoto has said that they have a timeline document internally at Nintendo.

We may have a few holes, but the vast majority of connections must surely outweigh those holes.

~Jak~

Years
    i haven't heard of that one before/...

I can't wait until i get twilight princess... i hope it has an ocarina of time feel to it...

Years
    i haven't heard of that one before/...

I can't wait until i get twilight princess... i hope it has an ocarina of time feel to it...
    To say it has an OoT feel would be an understatement. :x I don't have anything to add to the timeline though, since I trust Triforce (I mean, if you can't trust the Triforce, then what can you trust?), and it also makes sense to me. I need to replay TMC though, since I don't remember the Wind Tribe. I'm pretty sure Armos were in the ToT though...I don't remember if they were in the City in the Sky or not.

~Jak~

Years
    TOT whats tot???

you can honestly believe that though i understand why you think triforce's timeline is correct...

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Hmm...I think you're right about the Temple of Time and the Armos Statues, Abby. I should replay TP. Hurry up component cables. T_T;

I should replay TMC too. There are human looking characters up in the sky, but I can't remember if that's the Wind Tribe or a different tribe. I know that the Wind Tribe did live on land until they went up to the heavens, but I can't remember if those people are them or not. I hope they aren't, because that would be quite the de-evolution to become an Ooccoo?

Popuri

~Eievui~
    Years
    The people you meet up with in the sky are part of the wind tribe, because you go to the place where they would normally be, but you don't find them, someone tells you that they moved into the sky after their homeland was invaded.

Years
    TOT whats tot???

you can honestly believe that though i understand why you think triforce's timeline is correct...

I beleive that your title of Pc's number one zelda fan is unvalid.

I mean look at Triforce's timeline, THATS JUST OBBSESSIVE

I like allstories theory XD

Ichigo Flash

Box-kun
    Years
    No one can claim to be a #1 Zelda fan, thats stuff of fan boys really, unless they have a truck load of merch, all the games, original stuff etc. etc.

Back to the timeline, I think Miyamoto made it vague purposely, its not meant to be chronoglically ordered though some games refer to each other on the "timeline".

Though Emerald I have to say, I'm massively impressed with the thought you put into it and you seem to have the back-up info for all so I'm not gonna argue.

Years
    No one can claim to be a #1 Zelda fan, thats stuff of fan boys really, unless they have a truck load of merch, all the games, original stuff etc. etc.

Back to the timeline, I think Miyamoto made it vague purposely, its not meant to be chronoglically ordered though some games refer to each other on the "timeline".

Though Emerald I have to say, I'm massively impressed with the thought you put into it and you seem to have the back-up info for all so I'm not gonna argue.

you can claim to be PC's number one zelda fan.

Yes. I agree with that.

XD

Back