• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Hitmon line...

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    You know what? There's no evolutionary Pokemon line that's annoyed me quite as much as the Hitmon line (with the exception of Tyrogue), and here's what I find strange about it:

Hitmonlee
    So everyone knows Hitmonlee is based off of Bruce Lee... right? Well, what I find strange about this is, even though Bruce Lee was a great martial artist... he died when he was in his earlier thirties. His son didn't fare too well either - I don't think anybody wants their Pokemon to just DIE FOR NO REASON ON THE BATTLEFIELD... (of course, many well-known martial artists died before Pokemon came out, but they usually die a little bit older than in their EARLY THIRTIES/LATE TWENTIES). But what always strikes me as off is that Bruce Lee was an excellent man with his hands as well... I know Pokemon wants to make "a Pokemon for kicking, a Pokemon for punching"... so why didn't they go with someone who kickboxes?... which brings me to...

Hitmonchan
    Hitmonchan annoys me because... I never really associated Jackie Chan doing punches. Sure, he would do things with his hands, swiping people's hands down to temporarily disarm them, but not a full out punch. He actually was more like a martial artist that knew how to escape rather than a martial artist that just kicked general ass. Also, Hitmonchan would make more sense as a boxer than anything (DO MIKE TYSON AND TEACH IT BITE FOR LULZ)

Hitmontop
    Comboooooo-breaker! Frick, I hate this thing because all it does... is spin. Spin. Really, Pokemon. Spin? It just let's it's clawed feet hang right out and it spins quickly to attack. I mean, what MORON came up with that idea? Baltoy pulled it off better than this thing and that's sayin' something. It could at least keep the combo going with some name like Hitmonoris or something (lmfao hitmonoris) but no. HitmonTOP was such a brilliant name, because it looks like a top. *facepalm*

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    They all had more meaningful names in Japanese. But the average English person isn't going to know who those people are. And Hitmontop uses capoeirai.

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2012
    im surprised they havent made any pre-evolved form for these guys......they made one for jynx.

Medli

I am Error.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    im surprised they havent made any pre-evolved form for these guys......they made one for jynx.

... whatever happened to Tyrogue?

The only one I've really liked is Hitmontop. The other ones never really appealed to me. They actually scared me when I was younger. But, yeah, getting Hitmontop is kind of annoying.

But, honestly, Hitmontop is a better name than, say, Seel? I guess they just wanted to make the names more recognizable for people, or something.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Lol.

Incase anyone else gets confused....

Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee were the original two, in R/B/Y, available in the Fighting Dojo.

Tyrogue and Hitmontop came out n G/S/C, and as far as i know the ex-leader of the Fighting Dojo gives you a Tyrogue.

And then...for some reason Gamefreak had sense and left them alone!!!How weird is that?

Anyway, i kinda like them, since when i played through Emerald and Brawly had a Hitmontop that pwnd my fighting-weak team, i wanted one.

Bolanboy

ǝpısdn uʍop
    Years
    Hitmonrandyorton.

I keed.

But yeah, the Hitmon family should be left alone for evolutions. Adding entirely new Hitmons, though, is a possibility.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    1. Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan weren't based of Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan. They were only named after them and this was only in the english version of their names. They were actually both based off a boxer and a kick boxer but since the translators felt that nobody would know who they named them after, so they decided to go with more americian known names. It's just like what they did with Wobbuffet's name.

2. Hitmontop is awesome. It's takes the idea of headstands, tops and spining kicks and merges them together. It's not the name creators fault for not for seeing another hitmon being thrown into the mix when naming the first two. It would be like blaming them for not knowing that all Pokemon would have genders when coming up with Mr. Mime's name.

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    well... hitmonlee is my favorite pokemon so im not getting involved in anti hitmon propaganda

iLaxbe!

by Duke R
    Years
    I like that Hitmontop in Japanese is Kapoera, a fight style from my country, Brazil. I think it's the nearest the japanese creators came to here. Its English name should be Hitmonjet (Jet Li).

My favorite is Tyrogue (he is part of the Hitmon line too!) followed by Shining Hitmonchan, with blue knuckles!!! I also like Hitmonlee, specially now that it can learn Blaze Kick!!

Hitmontop was total fail. I mean, a spinning Pokemon? If I wanted to play Dreidel, I'd go the local drug store and by the Dreidel kit.[/fail] Anyway, I never really liked anyone in the Hitmon line. They are all pretty bleh. I never use them, 'cept when I wanna be cool and roll out a team with just them.

Now, Tyrogue is the exception. He is the one that I do actually like. IDK why. Well, it could be that he is not as pointless, and that he is the best looking of his evo line. xP But, IDK.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    The thing that disturbs me the most about Hitmonchan in particular is that it has such a feminine appearance what with the dress and all, but it's a male-only species. o_0

I'm sure I'd understand the reference better if I was more fluent in Japanese culture, but as it stands, I don't get it. >_<

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2012
    i like hitmonlee!!!! cause i think kicking hurts more than punching and he looks cooler :)

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    Hitmontop isn't a spinning top. (People seem to get that from the English name I think.) Hitmontop uses the martial arts style of capoeirai (its Japanese name repesents this). It may seem like an unusual style, but they already had punching and kicking done, so...

I really don't see how Hitmonchan looks feminine at all except for the tunic. Which isn't even feminine, it's gender neutral.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    lol I never noticed how they were named. Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan god Im slow. Hitmontop happens to by my favorite out of the family. IT SPINS FOR HEAVEN SAKES! I wonder if they will add on to the hitmon family.

Back