• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] The Kalos Cult: From the Case Files of Lisa Northwood

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
  • A/N: And now for the conclusion of our story! And yes, I succeeded in wrapping this whole thing up while it's still 2015! Enjoy!

Chapter 5

Quality Inn Lumiose City, October 28, 7:59 AM

Back in the comfort of their hotel room, Lisa and Serena turned on the television and turned to a local news channel.

"Greetings, this is Howard Dennison with News 5 Now in the Morning. Today's top story: The biggest mega-church in Kalos is no more as a massive fraud conspiracy involving the church and its lead pastors was exposed. The Church of the Order of the King, which was based in Anistar City but had satellite campuses in several other cities in Kalos, was disbanded yesterday following the arrest of lead pastor John Thornton and executive pastor Rick Hunt. A brief investigation, led by an agent from the international Pokemon League Investigation Division and Serena Allison, our region's Pokemon League Champion, looked into a product sold by the church and determined that the product was being falsely advertised and profits from sales were concealed using a variety of illegal methods in order to avoid reporting them to the Kalos Department of Taxation and Revenue.

"A shootout at a Coumarine City area factory on October 26th was linked to the church, as it was the location where the church's products were being manufactured. The product in question, a pendant purported to be infused with holy water, did not include said holy water. A large number of weapons, some of them illegal, were also seized at the factory. Factory workers in custody admitted that church leaders supplied them with the weapons and gave orders to fire upon authorities when they attempted to search the facility. Pastors Hunt and Thornton were arrested yesterday following a police pursuit. Once in custody, they admitted to fabricating the entire religion. Hours after their arrest, the church's secretary released the following statement to the public and on their web site.

"We at the Church of the Order of the King are saddened and shocked by the recent developments regarding the actions of two of our pastors. Given the nature of their actions, and the alleged charges against them, the decision has been made by the remainder of church officials to disband the church effective immediately. We will cooperate with authorities and assist them in bringing to justice any other individuals involved in the criminal schemes of Pastor John and Pastor Rick. Finally, we would like to apologize to our faithful congregants who have worshipped with us over the years. We wish you the best in searching for a faithful, God-fearing church that will be able to meet your spiritual needs. Once again, we apologize for the actions of our lead pastors and for the sudden dissolution of our church. Sincerely, Peter Boyd, Former Church Secretary.

"John Thornton, thirty-four years old, and Rick Hunt, forty years old, had no formal seminary training, but had known each other since grade school. According to statements made to authorities, the pair had studied cults and mega-churches similar to the one they created, and used them as inspiration to build the Order of the King. They claim the church was intended solely as a money-making operation. As expected, many members of the former church's congregation are shocked and betrayed. Peggy Cooper, a church member for six years, told us this."

"I can't believe this church which we had devoted so much time, energy, and money into, was nothing but a scam. But the damage runs deeper than money for us. For my husband, his faith has been completely shattered. As for me, I'm just left with questions. I don't know what is the truth anymore. And I don't know if we'll ever be able to trust and be a part of any church in the future."

"We will have more on this breaking story later in the morning. New developments continue to be made, including the arrest of more individuals who played integral roles in the conspiracy. For News 5, this is Howard Dennison reporting."

Lisa turned off the TV. "More arrests, huh? Serena, did you hear anything about those four we encountered in the mansion?"

"Oh, the Four Stooges, as I like to call them? I heard that they'll only be charged with obstruction of justice. At worst, it's a sixty-day county jail sentence. I still wish they could be shipped off somewhere else, because I know they'll be back soon to pester me to be their friend."

"Oh man, you'd think that they would have taken the hint by now."

Serena took a sip from a can of soda. "I'm entirely convinced they have some sort of disorder or chemical imbalance or something. I mean, you saw that girl Shauna. She literally has the maturity level of a toddler. And there's something about that Calem dude that seems off too, and it's much more than him thinking my name is 'Neighbor.' His obsession with being my 'friend' is frightening. For awhile I had a restraining order issued against him, and I might have to file another one once he's released from jail."

"Good idea. I've dealt with cases before where obsessed stalkers like that turn violent and homicidal. I'd be very careful if I were you."

"Definitely. And I need to apologize. Usually I'm able to keep my cool, but something about those four just causes my blood to boil over, and I start in with the angry retorts and sarcastic insults."

"Hey, don't worry about it. I started doing the same things just because of how annoying they were. Perfectly understandable that clowns like those would test the patience of anyone."

"Changing the subject, Lisa, I believe you mentioned you knew the champion from Kanto?"

"Yep, we're good friends."

"I'd like to meet her sometime."

Lisa got up from her seat. "Well, if you're free in about three weeks or so, I'm planning a visit out where she lives."

"Where in Kanto?"

"Nowhere in Kanto. Near Charleston, South Carolina. She decided to move there after all the crap she had to put up with in Kanto, after they betrayed her and tried to erase her from history."

"You did mention something like that. Sounds like something far more serious than I've ever had to deal with."

Lisa poured herself a cup of lemonade. "Indeed. Lots of high-level figures involved in the whole sordid affair. And although her good name was restored, she felt so betrayed by the whole thing that she wanted to get away from it all. And..."

"And...?"

Lisa smiled. "Once I showed her the southern charm of my home state, she couldn't resist wanting to live there!"

Serena laughed. "That was awesome, Lisa! Anyway, I'll try to take some time off so I can meet her."

"All right, I'll let her know!"

Quality Inn & Suites, Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, November 22, 8:36 AM

In a three story hotel located across the river from historic downtown Charleston, two brown haired girls were disembarking from the elevator. One of them, Lisa, was wearing a blue floral dress, green blouse, and white tights, while her companion wore a light blue sleeveless top and red skirt. The two made their way toward Room 308. Waiting for them when they opened the door was Serena, seated on the sofa and dressed in her normal attire – a black top and red pleated skirt that was longer than the other girl's.

"Let's start with introductions," said Lisa as she sat at the room's work desk.

The girl accompanying Lisa extended her hand. "My name's Elizabeth Purvis, but everyone I knew from the Pokemon world called me, "Leaf.' So feel free to use that nickname. I'm the former Champion of the Kanto region. Good to finally meet you."

Serena stood up and shook Leaf's hand. "Same here. My name is Serena Allison. I have a really shitty nickname given to me by some creepy stalkers; I'd rather you didn't use it. Anyway, I'm the current Champion of the Kalos region."

Leaf laughed. "Yeah, Lisa did mention to me that you had problems with a few creepers. Meanwhile, I had problems with a jealous hater with family in high places who launched a conspiracy against me. It's the reason I don't trust Pokemon regional Leagues anymore, and why I don't officially compete anymore."

"I hear you. When I became Champion, I had to go in and make sweeping changes as far as how we handled criminal investigations. We had a criminal as one of our Elite Four, and a pedophile masquerading as a professor who somehow got permission to hand Pokemon out to young trainers. Including me. At least I recognized how creepy the guy was, and kept my distance from him the best I could."

Lisa said, "And I've been up to my eyeballs with investigating crime all over the place. It seems that criminals are taking advantage of still-lax law enforcement in many Pokemon regions, and us professionals are having to solve the crimes that local police departments should be tackling. Kalos seems to be the only region that takes things seriously. Leaf, sorry to report that Kanto has only improved minimally in that matter. Before coming to visit, I had to shut down yet another cult devoted to breaking You-Know-Who out of prison and restoring him to his unearned position and glory."

"Why am I not surprised?"

"Wait, who is this?" Serena asked.

"Some guy from my hometown. He sucked as a trainer and was jealous of my success, so he had his rich CEO father bribe League officials, brainwash the populace, erase me from memory, and establish himself as Champion. It took many years before Lisa helped me expose the truth. But even now, after everything had been laid out on the table, people still worship the guy like he's some sort of god or something."

"Oh great... I really hope that doesn't happen with that church we had to shut down... That creepy pastor had his entire congregation wrapped around his finger."

"Well, if it does, you can call on us if you need something taken care of."

Leaf chuckled. "I might have to ask for your help with something while you're here."

"What's up?" asked Lisa.

"Late night drag racing across the Arthur Ravenel Bridge. And unfortunately, they're driving those damn small imports that sound like chainsaws."

"Ugh, I hate those things. Well, I did bring the Buick Roadmaster this trip, so I can show those punks the real power of a good 'ol American V-8."

"And I might let my Grand Marquis get in on the action, too!" added Leaf.

Serena looked at the other two girls with a puzzled look on her face.

"Sorry, just some car talk right now," Leaf explained.

"Oh, all right."

Lisa said, "We can discuss how we tackle these drag racers later. I think Serena would rather talk Pokemon."

"Now there's a subject that I haven't talked about in awhile!"

"Is it something that you don't like to discuss?" asked Serena.

"It's not that I don't mind it, but the topic just doesn't come up much here in South Carolina. I still have my Pokemon, though, and we do practice the best we can, considering finding other Pokemon to battle isn't easy."

Serena smiled. "Well, I just so happen to have my Pokemon on me, so..."

Leaf winked. "Is that a challenge? I might not battle much lately, but my Pokemon are the ones who won me the Kanto League Championship. Rightfully, I might add."

"And I have the Pokemon that won me the Kalos Championship. This should be quite a good battle!"

"Sounds good! Head out to the car, I know a great place where we can stage our battle. Lisa, can you film it?"

Lisa gave the girls a thumbs-up. "No problem!"

Serena headed out first. Leaf whispered to Lisa, "Is your other friend still planning to visit next month? The Contest girl?"

"Oh, Sadie? Yeah, so far, she still plans to."

Leaf simply gave her own thumbs-up before heading out of the room. Lisa followed her.

Mount Pleasant Memorial Waterfront Park, 10:25 AM

Leaf and Serena stood about fifteen feet from each other in a well-manicured grassy field. The massive steel form of a large cable bridge loomed in the distance. Between the other two girls, and off to the side, stood Lisa, who had a video camera set up on a tripod. Her Persian stood beside her, licking its paws.

Serena called out, "I hope you're ready! I know you're a Champion and a veteran trainer, but my Pokemon are itching for a chance to truly test their skills!"

Leaf responded, "If it's a challenge you're after, you're talking to the right girl! And I'm interested in seeing how the younger trainers battle! Shall we get started?"

Lisa announced, "This unofficial Pokemon battle between Serena Allison of Kalos and Elizabeth 'Leaf' Purvis from Charleston, South Carolina shall now commence! I, Lisa Northwood, shall officiate the match! Ladies, please prepare your first Pokeballs... Ready... Set... And let's start! Send your first Pokemon out!"

Last edited:

Bay

Years
  • Lisa turned off the TV. "More arrests, huh? Serena, did you hear anything about those four we encountered in the factory?"

I think you meant mansion?

Serena looked at the other two girls with a puzzled look on her face.

"Sorry, just some car talk right now," Leaf explained.

Poor Serena not a fan of cars like them heh.

Even though I didn't get to read the story with the incident featuring Leaf, it was still a fun apperance by her. The conversation between the girls did felt a bit repetitive since some of the stuff like the various crimes they had to face has been mentioned before, but it's still overall satisifying final chapter. Congratsts on finishing another story there!

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
    Years
  • Lisa turned off the TV. "More arrests, huh? Serena, did you hear anything about those four we encountered in the mansion?"

"Oh, the Four Stooges, as I like to call them? I heard that they'll only be charged with obstruction of justice. At worst, it's a sixty-day county jail sentence. I still wish they could be shipped off somewhere else, because I know they'll be back soon to pester me to be their friend."
    Four Stooges. xD

Too bad they'll be out on the loose again soon. I have a feeling that no amount of scam-uncoverings or cult-disbandenments will affect their behavior. It would be funny but sad if Serena saw them return one day with the same attitude as before and use some other outrageous reason for wanting to befriend her. Something like: "You saved us all! You really do care about us!!"

It was nice to see the get-together with the girls. Having Leaf and Serena battle was a nice closure to the story that set a calm mood after the intensity of the investigation, and it felt pretty natural the way you ended it (just in case you were worried about not writing the battle scene in full). I came to like Serena during the course of the story, and hope you'll write something else with her someday.

All in all, this was a nice read. Congrats for completing it, and Happy New Year!

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Poor Serena not a fan of cars like them heh.
    Someday Lisa and Leaf will make her see the light xD

Even though I didn't get to read the story with the incident featuring Leaf, it was still a fun apperance by her. The conversation between the girls did felt a bit repetitive since some of the stuff like the various crimes they had to face has been mentioned before, but it's still overall satisifying final chapter. Congratsts on finishing another story there!
    Well it is recap scene, and this time Leaf is there to trade stories with the other two girls. Although now maybe I should write that story about Leaf and Lisa taking on the late night bridge drag racers :P

You can still read said story featuring Lisa and Leaf, it should be in the Completed Fics section. Feel free to VM or PM comments since the reviewing window is long past, though :P

Four Stooges. xD

Too bad they'll be out on the loose again soon. I have a feeling that no amount of scam-uncoverings or cult-disbandenments will affect their behavior. It would be funny but sad if Serena saw them return one day with the same attitude as before and use some other outrageous reason for wanting to befriend her. Something like: "You saved us all! You really do care about us!!"
    I wouldn't be surprised in the least. In the games, the Four Stooges were *frustratingly* persistent, to the point that if Serena were to shoot off their limbs with an assault rifle, they'd STILL want to be BFFs with her. That's a frightening level of obsession right there.

It was nice to see the get-together with the girls. Having Leaf and Serena battle was a nice closure to the story that set a calm mood after the intensity of the investigation, and it felt pretty natural the way you ended it (just in case you were worried about not writing the battle scene in full). I came to like Serena during the course of the story, and hope you'll write something else with her someday.
    I think it's the way I ended my first story, too. I think it works here since I leave the question of, "Who's the strongest among these two champions?" unanswered and up to the interpretation of the reader as to how the battle turned out in the end. Between Leaf and Serena, I don't know who would be stronger :P

And with that terrible foursome only getting a slap on the wrist, they could be out causing Serena more headaches soon, so she might appear in a future story. She was fun to write, as an active champion who takes her duties seriously (Leaf did the same thing, but she wasn't actively serving in that role during the time period of her story.)

All in all, this was a nice read. Congrats for completing it, and Happy New Year!
    Thanks for continuing to read until the end, everybody! Happy (belated) New Year! Not sure when I'll get around to Lisa's next crime mystery, but I'll let you know when I start writing it.

Back