• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The matter of Character Customization.

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    I think character customization will remain a Kalos exclusive, unfortunately. Though it would be real fun to be able to customize again.

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
    Years
  • I've mentioned this before, but I feel like character customization will kinda describe your character, and will express his/her personality.

It also distinguishes one trainer to another, which is good.

HyperJono

Fanfic Writer, Pokeshipper, Lover of Pokemon
    Years
  • I reckon a good way to do character customization would be to import the mii character you use on your 3ds system into Sun and Moon and your trainer face becomes the face of your mii just in Pokemon style

pkmin3033

Game Freak would never do that, though - they'd just keep the Mii design faces, which is why I hope they NEVER integrate Miis into mainstream Pokemon titles in any fashion. I'd rather have an unalterable preset character than I would a Mii. It'd be a great way to personalise your character if Miis in general weren't so unbearably tacky.

Years
  • Just have various hair colors, hairstyles, and skin tone options. If I want to individualize myself in a video game then I'll dress-up my Mii. The clothing options in XY were shallow and some expensive. I hope they don't bring it back, but if they do, limit it to complete outfits. It would be easier on GameFreak's workload.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2018
    There are game features like the cell phone and dream radar, and then there are features like the running shoes and the ability to play as a girl that has been apart of the series for years. I firmly believe that trainer customization belongs in the latter group and needs to be apart of the next set of games and beyond, and I hope the folks at Game Freak feel the same way.

Last edited:

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • Clothes need to be expanded. I know DLC is a no-no, but I would do anything for more clothes in Pokemon. Even pay more money.

If there are no clothes... I will be very disappointed. :(

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    For the love of all that is good, please don't let character customization be Kalos-only. You guys know how much space a 3DS cartridge can hold? 8 gb. Know how big XY were each? 1.7 gb. Pleaaase let them use that space for once and stop taking features away, especially good and arguably vital ones like customization. :( On a brighter note, Pokken Tournament has a trainer customization feature as well. I know it's pretty much unrelated to the main series in every way, but.. let me have this. ;;

Years
  • For the love of all that is good, please don't let character customization be Kalos-only. You guys know how much space a 3DS cartridge can hold? 8 gb. Know how big XY were each? 1.7 gb. Pleaaase let them use that space for once and stop taking features away, especially good and arguably vital ones like customization. :( On a brighter note, Pokken Tournament has a trainer customization feature as well. I know it's pretty much unrelated to the main series in every way, but.. let me have this. ;;

Don't forget Pokemon Battle Revolution. The international version in particular added skin tone changes and also changed one of the bosses to have dark skin. I saw a fair share of PBR videos on YouTube and the clothing does look really cool, even if players were limited to six particular trainer models.

captainfez3

Old School Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2019
    I really hope they bring it back. :( I loved the feature and I love character customization in general. It made sense to remove it from ORAS because the characters are already iconic in the series. But it would absolutely suck if they removed it when it was a very popular feature, especially for people with different skin shades.

Agree 100%.

Honestly, if they don't IMPROVE on character customization, I'm going to assume that GameFreak will never make an amazing Pokemon game. If they remove it, I'm going to assume that they want Pokemon to die already. There is literally no reason to remove it and every reason to keep it in. Especially with the transition into 3D!

Gah, this is so weird that this is a topic of discussion. I'm on that weird cusp where I could let Pokemon go, but the fan in me will always exist. This might be a feature that makes or breaks it for me. And I don't say that in a petty way, I just mean, if they aren't going to keep moving these games forward in a unified, good direction, then why should I shell out more money for what is basically the exact same experience. Especially if the Poke designs are as all over the place as the last 2 gens have been.

HyperJono

Fanfic Writer, Pokeshipper, Lover of Pokemon
    Years
  • If character customization isn't in sun and moon i will be dissapointed but it wont take away from the whole Pokemon experience

Dansparce

The Unbeatable
    Years
  • Seriously, Character Customization was the highlight of Kalos to me. It was so much fun to see the new outfits and haircuts you could get as you go on, and it made the main character feel much more unique. It was so much better than just having generic sprites for everyone.

If they get rid of it, I'll be sad.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • I really do wish they keep customization in, especially since it was my favorite feature in X/Y next to Amie, because it allowed the player to look like they're actually in the game rather than simply being stuck to a permanent default look the whole time and make it seem like you're not you but someone else, and that's the reason I liked customization because I could actually be my own trainer and not always be stuck with the default look all the time, all while on the PSS and in multiplayer people always see me as some trainer class like an Ace Trainer or something.

Customization is something I feel is very important in the games today. In a game that's in 3D, it shows that the technology is more possible to do and makes it easier to customize the player character, since it's clear they wouldn't just waste the effort of making the 3D models just to be stuck with a single outfit. Not to mention the franchise's international audience since you could choose your character's skin tone at the start of X/Y, after all, would a player of the games who's a non-white person want to play as a white guy the whole game? They'd rather play as someone who represents them than someone else because the player characters are supposed to be an avatar of the actual player.

So being able to change your wardrobe and being able to select your skin-tone gives both a sense of realism to the franchise and allows the player character to be more of an avatar of themselves rather than being more or less someone they aren't being stuck with only a single outfit like a cartoon character. Both these show that customization is necessary because it shows that the games are updating with the times.

Customization in the games has been requested for a long time, so it would be a shame if they take it out and went back to the status-quo of having just a single outfit to wear all because of some comments by Masuda saying it's a French cultural thing, after all, that's implying that only French people change their clothing while everyone in every other country just wears the same outfit every day like a cartoon character, so what he said kinda has some rather unfortunate implications there.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    If they do retain this feature in Sun/Moon, I think they don't need to put boutiques everywhere that are the only place you can change clothes.

It's like how the trading/link battling feature was finally seperate from the Pokemon centers (and the GTS building) in BW/XY - there's no gameplay implications for this features so I don't see why we can't change the player's outfit - maybe even buy more clothes - anywhere we want. I mean, in XY you get a portable device that can download holograms, might as well say you can use the internet to buy a hat.

To take it a step further, why not let the player change their gender/skin tone whenever they want and make other characters act like they always looked that way - after all it's just a game.

Last edited:

grassdragon

Grass Lover!
    Years
  • I really hope customization returns for Sun/Moon and that they offer a larger variety of clothes. The only clothes in XY that I liked were in Lumiose City's Boutique....and it takes a long time to get stylish enough to even be able to enter....let alone buy the nicest clothes.....
    I also need the ability to remove my hat. Seriously...I don't like hats xP

I would like it if we could have any color hair.

Years
  • I'm assuming Kalos exclusive. . ..but imo if that ends up being the case, it's too much of an obvious step back. To add in a feature that was requested for so long just to remove it the generation after, would be a terrible move imo.

Back