• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The matter of Character Customization.

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
Years
  • I at least want proper face customization. I mean let me add a real beard to my character(I know they are kids), but I feel that pokémon, something that is popular within all ages deserves custom characters. Even a main adult character would be cool. Customization is a big part in games nowadays and I hope one day we get a game where we can just make a kid, teen or an adult. The fartherless kid(Except Hoenn) who goes around collecting badges and beating an evil team on the side got old really fast. I want a story where you can create a character and whatever age you want. Or maybe they should just make an official MMO kind of game.

Years
  • They already told us it was Kalos exclusive, but I don't care either way. It was so poorly done in XY, with very little options and almost no variability.

I do admit some trainer customization options were limited, but at least female players did get more choice when it came to clothing and hairstyles. Makes sense when you consider girls can wear both skirts and pants.

Cassandra

Transgender Queen
    Years
  • I do admit some trainer customization options were limited, but at least female players did get more choice when it came to clothing and hairstyles. Makes sense when you consider girls can wear both skirts and pants.

I suppose that makes sense, but it would have been more fair in my opinion to give them both equal amounts of options.

But aside from that, I played as a female character, and I was still underwhelmed by all the options. Most clothes were just palette swaps of others, and many we just very ugly or unappealing. There's not a lot of style variety either. Fashions are categorized into very broad categories, like "cute", or "fancy". The whole thing was just poorly done.

Another issue I had was the complete lack of Pokemon-themed clothing and accessories (outside of the Swirlix dress and the Pancham hat). You'd think that in a game with so many recognizable icons and items such as Pikachu, the Pokeball, or even regional starters, there would be more things themed after them. It's almost like they really didn't care.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • fffff what if you could use a Mii from your 2/3ds so its really you I really do hope it will come back, but I believe I heard somewhere someone said itw as Kalos only(one of the producers of the games). Man as fun as dressing up is I dont even care about that if all we get is hair/skin/eye colors. I dont even care about hairstyles at least the color. Im very scared to hope for its return, but if it doesnt Im going to be disappointed either way so I may as well get my hopes up right? Disappointed even if I wasnt hoping for it, so I have nothing really to lose from hoping for it since the opposite is getting it. I do also hope they add on it, like a color wheel for the skin tones bc while Im not as dark as the "inbetween serena", im also not exactly the lightest person and seeing the whiteish/native american look would be nice. QwQ

Actually my idea of Miis isnt that bad(although would require lots of promgeamming Im sure). What like, take the Mii and move it to the game much like Tomodachi Life or something, change the clothes and/or hat if you wanna.(and maybe even lose the jat I know people complained about that). PLUS THE MORE I THINK ABOUT IT THE BETTER A 20 YEAR GIFT WOULD BE TO SEE IT SAY "YOU" UNDER PROTAG(although its almost midnignt and im very tired so idk).

"It will bring them all together" Wouldnt it be nice to bring back a lot of gen exclusive stuff like trainer/ball customization and pokeradar and following pokemon and the PWT and all that in one game? Oooo... Yeah Im not expecting it but I do liek the sounds of it. =D

HyperJono

Fanfic Writer, Pokeshipper, Lover of Pokemon
    Years
  • I think with character customization you should at the start of the game choose not only your character's skin colour but eye colour, hair colour and style

Gwoop

Bootleg aficionado
    Years
  • I'd love if they kept customisation in but I kind of doubt that they will. I want to be able to imagine myself as part of the game, especially when the main character is always a silent character in Pokemon, it makes sense to allow to player to see the self in their position by customising them to feel like how the player thinks they themselves would appear in the Pokemon world.
    It'd be incredibly disappointing if they don't include at least basic skin tone and eye colour customisation.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I'd love to see character customization return. It's one of those things that's pretty common in video games these days, especially RPGs, so it'd make sense for GameFreak to make it a regular thing for the main series. Then again, if it weren't included as a feature, I wouldn't be too surprise, because we all know how GameFreak likes to make certain features exclusive to certain generations :(

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
  • I believe it wasn't a kalos exclusive. Only reason it didn't continue with ORAS was due to the fact that it was a remake. I believe it should and will continue with future generations. HOPEFULLY!

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • ORAS may have been remakes, but they did include altering designs, albeit slightly such as the underwater breathing mechanism, Contest Spectacular costumes, and the space suit. While not optional or anywhere as diverse as XY's, it showed a willingness to include an aspect (though in a very miniscule way) of trainer customization despite it being a remake.
    Also, I'm hoping that the idea of keeping customization Kalos-exclusive was pre-ORAS and after all this time after XY and the reception customization has had that they decide to keep.

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2017
    I'm kind of thinking it won't return. Gamefreak likes to add neat features to certain regions and keep them exclusive to them. It makes replaying the whole series fun when there's a really great feature in each game.

Pokemon Contests in their best format were only in Ruby/Sapphire, the battle frontier remains in emerald, Honey trees and the underground are stuck in Pearl, the following feature is only in HeartGold, and Black 2 had a ton of great features like Pokestar Studios, Join Avenue, the Pokemon World Tournament, Battle Subway, Dream World, Funfest Missions, Multiple Seasons, Hidden Grottos, Gym Specific Remixes, and the Medal Rally.

X and Y had already taken about thirty steps backwards from Black 2 in terms of extra features, and I feel that isn't going to change for Sun and Moon. X and Y always felt like they were unfinished.

Years
  • I'm kind of thinking it won't return. Gamefreak likes to add neat features to certain regions and keep them exclusive to them. It makes replaying the whole series fun when there's a really great feature in each game.

Pokemon Contests in their best format were only in Ruby/Sapphire, the battle frontier remains in emerald, Honey trees and the underground are stuck in Pearl, the following feature is only in HeartGold, and Black 2 had a ton of great features like Pokestar Studios, Join Avenue, the Pokemon World Tournament, Battle Subway, Dream World, Funfest Missions, Multiple Seasons, Hidden Grottos, Gym Specific Remixes, and the Medal Rally.

X and Y had already taken about thirty steps backwards from Black 2 in terms of extra features, and I feel that isn't going to change for Sun and Moon. X and Y always felt like they were unfinished.

While I know many want customization to return, I feel like it'll be the Kalos region's incarnation of the "region only" features like the other stuff you mentioned and which games they only appeared in. I'm pretty sure Game Freak have been working hard on Sun & Moon enough that I'm certain it won't feel unfinished if they've learned from fan reaction to X & Y.

poop face

currently playing crystal ♡
    Years
  • Wouldn't we be seeing the return of the dressed up Pikachu feature in ORAS though?
    If Pokemon keeps that, I don't see why they wouldn't keep character customization.
    If you can dress up Pikachu, surely you would be able to dress up yourself, don't you think?

And as earlier stated, this is almost like Game Freak is testing things out for more personal customization in our games to see what works and what doesn't.

I honestly think Game Freak in Gen 7 is going to try to expand on customization of many kinds in SM. They were testing out the waters in Gen 6 and with ORAS to see how it was going to play out and the cards were definitely in their favor.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    Wouldn't we be seeing the return of the dressed up Pikachu feature in ORAS though?
    If Pokemon keeps that, I don't see why they wouldn't keep character customization.
    If you can dress up Pikachu, surely you would be able to dress up yourself, don't you think?

And as earlier stated, this is almost like Game Freak is testing things out for more personal customization in our games to see what works and what doesn't.

I honestly think Game Freak in Gen 7 is going to try to expand on customization of many kinds in SM. They were testing out the waters in Gen 6 and with ORAS to see how it was going to play out and the cards were definitely in their favor.

Well they already have Cosplay Pikachu's model so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to trade her over to Sun/Moon - it's not like Spiky-eared Pichu which would have needed new sprites to escape from HG/SS.

I think character customisation will more than likely return as it's such a significant new feature that's also been showing up in several spinoff games lately (Pokken, GO). The official reasoning why it's not present in OR/AS aside, OR/AS was made very quickly after X/Y and adheres a lot to the design of the original game in other ways (like split Pokemarts, which don't appear to have any other reason to exist except they wouldn't have to make something to fill in the gaps where they used to be in towns)
    Sun/Moon are totally new products with a longer development stage. (and the benefit of hindsight)

IsaacTwentySeven

Shiny Electivire
    Years
  • I've been playing my copy of Y a LOT more than Omega Ruby because of the character customization - I just like being able to play as a character that I feel like I put together.

Years
  • I've gotten over whether or not I care that it returns. I do love the feature just like I do all the features that get stuck to their generations, but if it was to stay in Gen 6 then I won't be bothered too much. I'm just wondering now what the new feature that Sun and Moon will have stuck in their generation is going to be.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • One thing I'd like to see is for the feature to be expanded. We've talked about more clothing options, but what about style options? Buy a long sleeve shirt and be able to wear it with the sleeves rolled up or entirely out. Button-up shirts could be worn buttoned or not. Direction the hat faces, etc. Also more categories such as accessories (wristbands, more pins, jewelry).
    Pretty much, I want real character customization.

However, I'm not sure if I want want full-on "build a character from scratch" customization. Pokemon has always had a default protagonist (even if they have no characterization whatsoever) and it seems weird if they were to suddenly make it a unique character. And even with the clothing and accessories and styles I mentioned, I think the full extent of that should be realized once Pokemon gets to that point where its main game is actually more complex than the light-hearted, beat-in-2-days playthrough it is now.

Years
  • However, I'm not sure if I want want full-on "build a character from scratch" customization. Pokemon has always had a default protagonist (even if they have no characterization whatsoever) and it seems weird if they were to suddenly make it a unique character. And even with the clothing and accessories and styles I mentioned, I think the full extent of that should be realized once Pokemon gets to that point where its main game is actually more complex than the light-hearted, beat-in-2-days playthrough it is now.

I can understand what you mean here, because we always get official artwork of the protagonists and if we take a build-from-scratch approach, then that would really change main Pokemon games too much plus we won't get that official art. There's also the "return to simplicity" to take into account, so we likely won't expect very complex features in this game.

Back