• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Meaning of Life

Do you think every individual has a different purpose in life?

• Yes

Votes: 40 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 11 17.7%

• Total voters

Pilgrim Soul

Hope of the States
    Years
    Personally I believe life is wonderful and my mission in life is to search, I don't mean for girlfriends and nonsense like that. True love waits. I mean going into space above all else and exploring my mind.

Conman

Knowledgeable Ignorance
    Years
    Life serves no reason or purpose, yet all seek to live a long one. You Live, Learn, and Die is what I go by. Living is Dying, and Dying is Dead is also a good one.

Azzurra

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    The meaning of life is basically to populate the Earth, there is nothing else to it, really.

י

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2009
    The meaning of life is whatever we make it out to be..

There are too many different reasons for us all to agree on one reason.

Thus, life is multi-purposed, yet humans try to give it one meaning...

Brien

Epic Panda.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2017
    before you answer your question, it is more important to answer a more broad question

Is their a god?
    Can you prove he exists?
    If I say a giant invisible turnip exists, can you disprove it?
    What are the odds that your god is more existant than the other 1000's?
    Who would win in an ou match, 6 ev trained caterpies or 6 ev trained luvdiscs?

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    before you answer your question, it is more important to answer a more broad question

Is their a god?
    Can you prove he exists?
    If I say a giant invisible turnip exists, can you disprove it?
    What are the odds that your god is more existant than the other 1000's?
    Who would win in an ou match, 6 ev trained caterpies or 6 ev trained luvdiscs?

This the dumbest thing I have ever heard, that is both disrespectful to religion, ignorant on how religion works, and has nothing to do with thee topic. It is a poor attempt to turn this into a debate thread, and using flawed arguments that shows you have no understanding on anything. Can't make an argument on something on something you don't understand. As he said, this is not a religion thread, so don't be the fool and try to argue it here.

Dusclord

Ganon killer
    Years
    We all are primates, so our life's meaning is the same as the apes'... the only difference is that we have got superior adaptability skills to them (we've got thumbs too haha loooool, funny...), but for every animal, the life purpose is to bother the other ones, and then, die. Humans are animals, so there's no reason to get it otherwise.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    Personally I believe life is wonderful and my mission in life is to search, I don't mean for girlfriends and nonsense like that. True love waits. I mean going into space above all else and exploring my mind.

I can agree with this. I feel compelled to do the same, although in slightly different ways. I think an integral part of life is enjoying the world (and universe, as it were) around us, never ceasing to be amazed and inspired by the beauty of things.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    The meaning of life is to achieve enlightenment and at your death bed, to feel that your life was worth living. I don't think there is anything after death, although I think rebirth is the most plausible.

Hoppyfred

Froggy Friend of Feebas
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2013
    Okay...so many posts in one day...

I'm half glad Chibi-Chan didn't lock this thread...

So, Chibi-Chan, I don't MIND if you lock the thread, but to be honest now, I'd rather you not...:P

Just one post bothers me...

@ Blazeflare: That's ALL you think there is to life? That's IT?! Meh...what's the point of that? So there's no point in all the luxuries of life, you may as well just make children and then just die?

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    The Meaning of Life

I personally believe life is pointless and there's nothing to it. We'll only find out if there really was a point (which I doubt) when we're dead or whatever comes after life. That is why I never take anything in life seriously most likely. I feel that everyone who believes life has a point is an imbecile.

I'll just shut up now before I say something stupid.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I feel that everyone who believes life has a point is an imbecile.

Thats not fair, what is the point of living life if you don't even think there is a point too it? Everyone has to believe something even if its just some last desperate attempt to hang on to some reason to live.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    I'll just shut up now before I say something stupid.

You already did, unfortunately. Your very existence has an impact on the universe, which means that you have a point.

Let me put it this way: think of a rock. A rock's point is to sit there and look pretty, or to fall in a landslide, or to be thrown at someone. The purpose of the rock changes depending on what it does and what others do with it.

Now think of the rock in terms of yourself. You can actually recognize the purpose of the rock, or the potential purposes, as it were. What you do with that ability makes up a tiny portion of your point, of your purpose. If you bash someone over the head with the rock, your purpose in that instant is to be a jerk. If you carve the rock into a beautiful sculpture, your purpose at that time is to be artistic. You're defining yourself with the actions you take (or don't take) concerning the changes you can (or even can't) make.

That's part of the reason I say people define their purpose with the actions they take. And if you want to get really deep, I'll tell you that you have absolute control over your purpose, as well. It's all in what you do, how you decide to use your knowledge of change to influence the things around you.

Lusankya

The cake is a pie!
    Years
    Well, there's two types of points here: There's a great, overarching Point In The Sky of the meaning of Life (with a capital L) itself, and then there's the point of your, individual, lowercase "l" life. I don't believe there's a such thing as the former (being both an atheist and a cynic) but I do believe that the purpose of your individual lives is whatever you want it to be. As txteclipse said, your purpose is whatever you define it to be.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    Well, there's two types of points here: There's a great, overarching Point In The Sky of the meaning of Life (with a capital L) itself, and then there's the point of your, individual, lowercase "l" life. I don't believe there's a such thing as the former (being both an atheist and a cynic) but I do believe that the purpose of your individual lives is whatever you want it to be. As txteclipse said, your purpose is whatever you define it to be.

Building off of this, (and to define another view) some people, such as myself, choose to align our actions with a purpose we believe is assigned to us by our creator, or a higher force. I.E., we believe our purpose coincides with the "over-arching purpose" Lusankya mentioned.

Obviously, not everyone thinks this way, but again, this is a thread of opinions. In that light, you don't have to agree with us, but you sure as heck better not come in here calling us imbeciles.

Last edited:

Pilgrim Soul

Hope of the States
    Years
    The meaning of life is to achieve enlightenment and at your death bed, to feel that your life was worth living. I don't think there is anything after death, although I think rebirth is the most plausible.

Can I just compliment you on this exceptional post and state that I agree. "The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

Lusankya

The cake is a pie!
    Years
    Alas, so few ever feel so. To feel satisfied with your life when you know you'll never be able to do anything else is a tough accomplishment indeed, and I applaud anyone who's done so. Unless they're just idiots who never do anything but are content with it.

Back