• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge v8, Tera Edition

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Ultimate Fire Run
    X / #1 / The First Four Gyms

In this post (i.e., TL;DR)
    Spoiler:

The full read:
    Spoiler:

Team Stats:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Figures I would do that one of these days - I have a template in Notepad++ and I missed updating the top part. Thanks for the catch.

I swear I tried
    The Monotype Challenge v8, Tera Edition
    around it. Not certain why it didn't work. Thanks! Much easier to just update and screengrab the data than type it all out.

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen yesterday
    Wait. My Ground type run was counted? I thought I was disqualified cuz I started it months before joining the forum. I would like to specify that the run followed all rules established, and I re-read the rules tonight to make sure before I wrote this. The only caveat is that I started the challenge before I joined the forum. Again, none of the rules were broken; I just didn't expect it to be considered valid since I started it quite a while before my account for this forum was created.

Also, I'm not sure how to do quotes, but the Hall of Fame erroneously lists my Ground type run in Pokémon Sapphire Version as Ground twice instead of listing the specific game I was playing.

So, anyway, I've started a Water Type run for FRLG. Dihydrogen monoxide is very lethal! A friend on another site suggested naming each Pokemon after a Sonic cartoon, but "Underground" is too many characters, so I'll use the name "OVA" instead. I named myself "Sonic," and I named my Rival "Mario." I will update this after I teach Brock a lesson in humility.

EDIT: Actually, um, I might take up the commitment of a Game Mastery Challenge for Ruby/Sapphire. Can I hack in any "regional Dex" Pokémon of my type for my starter? Like, even if it would make the run a lot easier? For example, Chinchou as a hacked starter is the only choice for an artificial starter [that I know of] where the first gym wouldn't be an absolute nightmare in an electric-type mono run, but there's no electric-types before the first couple of gyms, and it doesn't break any of the other rules. In other cases, can I just catch a Pokemon before the first gym and box the actual starter (outside of the water, ground, fire, fighting, and grass routes)? For example, can I just catch Zigzagoon in the Normal-type run instead of hacking it. One last thing I'll say is that I need to complete the first gym in a Flying mono type run in Sapphire before I absolutely commit myself to this challenge. (I will absolutely regret it when I challenge the Hoenn League with only two ice-type Pokémon.)

Last edited:

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • Wait. My Ground type run was counted? I thought I was disqualified cuz I started it months before joining the forum. I would like to specify that the run followed all rules established, and I re-read the rules tonight to make sure before I wrote this. The only caveat is that I started the challenge before I joined the forum. Again, none of the rules were broken; I just didn't expect it to be considered valid since I started it quite a while before my account for this forum was created.

Also, I'm not sure how to do quotes, but the Hall of Fame erroneously lists my Ground type run in Pokémon Sapphire Version as Ground twice instead of listing the specific game I was playing.

Yep, it's counted, since you followed the rules prior to joining the thread. The Hall of Fame's fixed now, thanks for notifying me.

So, anyway, I've started a Water Type run for FRLG. Dihydrogen monoxide is very lethal! A friend on another site suggested naming each Pokemon after a Sonic cartoon, but "Underground" is too many characters, so I'll use the name "OVA" instead. I named myself "Sonic," and I named my Rival "Mario." I will update this after I teach Brock a lesson in humility.

Before I add you to the challenger's list for this, if you decide on it, I'm going to need to know if you're playing FireRed, LeafGreen, or a romhack of either of them. For either run, I'll also need to know whether it's Standard Mode or Free Mode.

EDIT: Actually, um, I might take up the commitment of a Game Mastery Challenge for Ruby/Sapphire. Can I hack in any "regional Dex" Pokémon of my type for my starter? Like, even if it would make the run a lot easier? For example, Chinchou as a hacked starter is the only choice for an artificial starter [that I know of] where the first gym wouldn't be an absolute nightmare in an electric-type mono run, but there's no electric-types before the first couple of gyms, and it doesn't break any of the other rules.

Normally, you can only hack in a Regional Dex Pokémon as your starter if you can't find a Pokémon of your type or Pokémon that evolves into your type before the first gym (Dragon, Electric, Ice, Rock, or Steel in Ruby and Sapphire). In such a case, you could hack in any unevolved non-legendary in your Regional Dex, which would include Chinchou.

However, there's one exception where you can hack in a starter Pokémon even if you can catch one of your type before the first gym. If there's a Pokémon in your Regional Dex of your type that you can't catch until the postgame, you can hack it in at any time you want. That being said, the only Pokémon that fits this criteria in Ruby and Sapphire is Beldum, since every other non-Legendary Pokémon is obtainable before the postgame.

In other cases, can I just catch a Pokemon before the first gym and box the actual starter (outside of the water, ground, fire, fighting, and grass routes)? For example, can I just catch Zigzagoon in the Normal-type run instead of hacking it.

That's exactly what you're supposed to do, and the intended way to play.

One last thing I'll say is that I need to complete the first gym in a Flying mono type run in Sapphire before I absolutely commit myself to this challenge. (I will absolutely regret it when I challenge the Hoenn League with only two ice-type Pokémon.)

You actually can double up or triple up on some Pokemon species, if you want to. There's no rule forbidding you from catching multiple Glalie, for example. After all, it's what Glacia does. I'll make that clearer in the next revision of the rules.

Last edited:

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen yesterday
    Thank you for such a thorough reply. There are a couple things I should clear up because it was very late at night when I edited that post.

The crossed out text is an edit and my way of saying "Actually, um, maybe I won't do this mono water-type run of Pokémon Leaf Green Version." The template was there (albeit without formatting) before I edited my post, but I think I'd rather save it for another time, perhaps to break up the 16 playthroughs of Ruby/Sapphire (17 counting the one that's already done).

I downloaded a program to replace one of my starter Pokémon for the challenge (leaving the rival's Pokémon unaffected), and now I kind of wish I hadn't cuz (hoo boy) Beldum only learns Takedown, and that recoil damage frightens me. If I can't just switch train it with the official starter, I guess I'll hack in a Natu and catch Ralts the old-fashioned way, right?

Actually, wait, I just re-read your post, and... um, well, this is awkward... where do I hack in the Beldum? Not "when," where? I think it'd be awkward if I made it appear from random encounters in the grass. Can I just trade over the Beldum that Champion Steven gives me in the post game of the Ground type challenge and call it a day? There's nothing special about that Beldum's IVs that would cause a problem with the rules laid out in post 1, correct? Maybe I'm forgetting something about limitations on trading post game Pokémon.

I'll officially enter (with the proper challenger info) when I complete Roxanne's gym with the flying-types and... Oh, yeah, Wingull is available before the first gym, isn't it? That would neutralize the challenge from the gym. I guess I'm really doing this, aren't I? All right, I'll boot up the ROM and start soon.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • Thank you for such a thorough reply. There are a couple things I should clear up because it was very late at night when I edited that post.

The crossed out text is an edit and my way of saying "Actually, um, maybe I won't do this mono water-type run of Pokémon Leaf Green Version." The template was there (albeit without formatting) before I edited my post, but I think I'd rather save it for another time, perhaps to break up the 16 playthroughs of Ruby/Sapphire (17 counting the one that's already done).

I downloaded a program to replace one of my starter Pokémon for the challenge (leaving the rival's Pokémon unaffected), and now I kind of wish I hadn't cuz (hoo boy) Beldum only learns Takedown, and that recoil damage frightens me. If I can't just switch train it with the official starter, I guess I'll hack in a Natu and catch Ralts the old-fashioned way, right?

Actually, wait, I just re-read your post, and... um, well, this is awkward... where do I hack in the Beldum? Not "when," where? I think it'd be awkward if I made it appear from random encounters in the grass. Can I just trade over the Beldum that Champion Steven gives me in the post game of the Ground type challenge and call it a day? There's nothing special about that Beldum's IVs that would cause a problem with the rules laid out in post 1, correct? Maybe I'm forgetting something about limitations on trading post game Pokémon.

I'll officially enter (with the proper challenger info) when I complete Roxanne's gym with the flying-types and... Oh, yeah, Wingull is available before the first gym, isn't it? That would neutralize the challenge from the gym. I guess I'm really doing this, aren't I? All right, I'll boot up the ROM and start soon.

I'm a little confused, are you playing a mono-Psychic or mono-Flying run? It doesn't really make sense to hack one into a mono-Flying run since you can't use it in trainer battles, it's useless for breeding in RS, and other Pokemon available before Metang have the same HM compatibility.

I've played a mono-Psychic run of Ruby before, and Beldum is actually decent in the early game, you just need to backtrack to Pokemon Centers more frequently in-between battles. Ralts is available very early on, and will be extremely useful in the early-game, but it needs another Pokemon to fight Dark-types in the early game, and Beldum can do that pretty well.

Trading over your Beldum from another game is fine for your mono-Psychic run, as is making it appear from random encounters or switching out your starter. When hacking, I usually use PKHex, since it's the easiest method of adding new Pokemon to your party, but cheating devices are fine for hacking in Pokemon too, they're just more complicated to use correctly. The method of hacking doesn't really matter so long as its IVs are random, it's not any stronger than another party member you have, and it doesn't have any moves it's not supposed to.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • One more thing, since this discussion about RS monotypes reminded me of a few things like Ralts not being able to hit Dark types without TM moves, I've added a few new clauses into today's update of the rules to avoid stuff like that.

8.3: Moved the rule about trading or hacking unobtainable Pokemon in the regional dex to the Standard Mode rules, since Free Mode has its own separate rules on the topic.

Required that the player have reached the point where they could've caught a Pokemon in their counterpart game before trading or hacking version-exclusives. As this rule would affect in-progress challenges, runs started before 4/7/2023 are allowed to trade or hack version-exclusives at any point in time.

Made mutually-exclusive Pokémon, like some fossils, tradeable or hackable under the same restriction.

Allowed keeping Nincada unevolved until a second Ghost-type is obtained, if the player's first available Ghost-type is Shedinja.

Added a clause allowing trading or hacking in a Pokémon if the player's party is completely unable to damage a Pokémon without Struggle, or delaying the start of the challenge if players can't trade or hack.

Clarified that using multiple Pokémon of the same species is allowed.

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm going to do them ALL eventually is why I asked. I'm doing Flying right now, but eventually, I will be doing a mono Psychic Type run. I just wanted to ask ahead of time because it's a big commitment, you see. It's going to be done over many months, maybe a couple years.

Also, I was about to have a fight or flight response cuz I remembered that in the mono Ground-type challenge, I abused Pickup as long as I could by catching four Zigzagoon. I did not use them for anything in-battle, which follows the "non-battle purposes" clause, but in the moment of realization I was like, "OMG, I used Zigzagoon for pick-up items! That doesn't count, right?!"

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • Also, I was about to have a fight or flight response cuz I remembered that in the mono Ground-type challenge, I abused Pickup as long as I could by catching four Zigzagoon. I did not use them for anything in-battle, which follows the "non-battle purposes" clause, but in the moment of realization I was like, "OMG, I used Zigzagoon for pick-up items! That doesn't count, right?!"

Don't worry, you're fine. So long as they aren't involved in trainer battles, it's completely OK to use Zigzagoon for pickup in any run.

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen yesterday
    I might regret this, but I'm in! I wanna be a Big Shot in this thread and conquer the Hoenn region!

User: Reginald Cosmic

Type: All (Currently on Flying-Type)

Games: Ruby and Sapphire (on Game Boy Advance)

Challenge Type: Game Mastery Challenge

Standard Mode

This is going to be a long-term goal. Expect periods of time where I take a break from the challenge to play other games (so I don't get sick of it and quit).

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • Pokémon Colosseum (Standard Mode)
    Mono-Water - Aqua Admin Walter
    Update 3 (The Under -> Shadow Pokemon Lab)

Another update, and this time covering two Cipher admins. I fought Venus very soon after Dakim, snagging Suicune and purifying it immediately with a Time Flute. Then, I did a lot of grinding for Poke Coupons to get TMs, and completed both the Pyrite and Under Colosseums for more TMs despite the level difference. Most of the Shadow Pokemon Lab was easy because I was overleveled, and though Ein's Lanturn and Raikou were scary because they had Thunder, neither actually got a chance to use it more than once. I got lucky with Ice Beam and froze Raikou, and snagged it with an Ultra Ball. Can't use it, but I need to catch and box it to fight Fein at the end of the game.

I don't really like using Legendaries all that much, but using Suicune is the only way to get a full team of six Water-types in Colosseum. I taught it Reflect and Rain Dance, giving it a couple setup moves, kept Surf, and taught it Ice Beam like most of the rest of my team. It's the only Pokemon on my team that could learn Reflect, so that gives it a useful niche that the rest of my team can't do. Aside from a possible Reshiram in the last two battles of Black, this is going to be my only legendary in my Type Mastery Challenge.

Every Pokemon save Qwilfish learned Ice Beam, a strong alternative to whatever Water-type moves my team knows. In addition, Feraligatr learned Brick Break, giving it a strong physical Fighting move, Quagsire learned Earthquake, a strong ground move that counters Electric-types very well, and usually worth the hit my other Pokemon will take, Octillery learned Psychic and Flamethrower, two strong moves in types I don't otherwise have, Mantine got a whole new moveset focused around status conditions, and Qwilfish learned Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball to better fit its role as a physical attacker. Unless my Suicune somehow gets to level 81, my whole team has its final movesets.

Team

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen yesterday
    I guess I could've named myself Lance since I'll be a Flying-Type Champion. [Cackles like a maniac] I named myself Skye and picked Mudkip as my unofficial starter (since Grovyle is weak to the flying-type).

Spoiler:

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen yesterday
    This post covers from right after the first gym to right after the second gym, which in Ruby/Sapphire isn't long. It's sort of one of the only times where you do two gyms almost back to back (unlike X/Y and from what I've heard Diamond/Pearl).

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm on my phone and away from my desktop (about 90 miles away) so I'm not going to have the usual update setup so I'll keep it brief. For consistency, I will post a picture of my final stats. But here's the rest of Pokemon X with Fire types.

Gym 5 - Some of my team kept getting paralyzed, but nothing real big of a problem. I am still a little leveled above the gym, but I have sort of locked in on a team of Charizard, Talonflame, Houndoom, Delphos, Flareon, and Pyroar. I decided not to get any more of the available Pokemon unless I felt there was a need.

Gym 6 - Another one of the spam hardest attacks to get through.

Gym 7 - Spam Dark moves. Win. Defeat all trainers...as usual.

Gym 8 - Fire moves are overpowered here. Easy.

Team Flare being between Gyms 7 and 8 is a nice boost to experience.

As for Elite Four...Steel is easy. Fire is relatively easy to push through. Dragon was fun once I had Flareon start using Last Resort.

Water was a pain. I taught Grass Knot for use against Barbie. Wing Attack, Fly, Acrobatics as much as possible. The Gyarados was horrible. I had to outlast Waterfall with Revives but eventually (after a few hours of trying things) I just used endless Revives until I got a few clear shots to take down Gyarados.

The champion battle was fairly easy. Aurorus gave me a chance to bring everyone back after it was hit with a few Mystical Fires. Still using a lot of Flying moves to deal damage. This was definitely much easier than dealing with Water.

Final pre-credits battle with Az was straightforward.

I'll say this felt much easier, probably due to how the XP share works. Looking forward to the next gen. I'll post stats as soon as I can when I return home.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • Pokémon Colosseum (Standard Mode)
    Mono-Water - Aqua Admin Walter
    Update 4 (Realgam Tower -> Realgam Colosseum)

A short update today, covering Realgam Tower and Realgam Colosseum! None of the admins gave me much trouble except for Ein, whose Thunder/Rain Dance combination was mildly difficult. However, Gonzap's Hariyama was unexpectedly hard and fainted half my team. The first four Realgam Colosseum trainers didn't give me too much trouble. Sten fainted a couple Pokemon, but they got healed up before fighting Nascour. Nascour himself was kinda difficult, but sadly I didn't have a chance to record the fight.

I ended up using my Master Ball on Metagross to win the battle, since I remembered that I could just refight Evice without going through the rest of the Colosseum if he beat me the first time. Which he did. I did snag Tyranitar before going down, though. The second time, he led with Slowking and Slaking, immediately using Skill Swap to take away Truant from Slaking and give it to Slowking. Slaking fainted several of my Pokemon, but once I brought it down, I could just focus on one of his Pokemon since Slowking still had Truant from Skill Swap and for some reason never used it on one of my Pokemon, and Suicune, Mantine, and Octillery worked together to beat the rest of his team.

I may have beaten Colosseum, but since it's a shorter game, I still have to go through nearly the entire postgame to have it count for my Type Mastery challenge. Expect one more update for this challenge run.

Team

Spoiler:

Infer12

Darkness Incarnate
    Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I'm going to try to do a monotype run of XD. Never played the game before but it looks like such a fun way to play through a pokemon game and use some of my favourite mons!

User: Infer12
    Type: Dark
    Game(s): XD: Gale of Darkness
    Challenge Type: Single Challenge
    Standard Mode / Free Mode: Standard Mode

Infer12

Darkness Incarnate
    Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness (Standard Mode)
    Mono-Dark
    Update 1 (Pokémon HQ Lab -> Cipher Lab)

This will be my first monotype run ever so I hope it'll go well. Hopefully won't run into too strong fighting & bug types!

Started the game and named myself Dusk. I did all the early game stuff: searched for my sister, got the snag machine, saw the professor get kidnapped and went to Gateon Port
    to get the machine part. I also caught the Teddiursa from Spy Naps for Pickup and to use it until I get 2 dark types. At Gateon Port, I evolved my Eevee into Umbreon and caught
    Poochyena at the top of the lighthouse. I now have 2 dark types so let the monotype run officially begin! The trainers at Gateon Port were pretty easy so before long I headed to
    Agate Village to use the Relic Stone there to purify my pokemon.

Poochyena's Heart Gauge was completely empty from the trainer battles leading up to the Relic Stone so I could immediately purify it. (that Pikachu almost wiped me out though
    with thunderbolt but Umbreon pulled through). Then I went to Mt. Battle to talk to Vander who pointed me to Cipher Lab in the middle of the desert.

At the Cipher Lab, I battled the Hexagon Brothers from who I caught 2 dark(-ish) types: Houndour from Resix and Seedot from Greesix (who will get dark type upon evolving). I used
    Houndour in the battles against the other brothers (again not too difficult) and used 5 vivid scents on Seedot so I was able to purify both of them. I continued my infiltration into
    Cipher Lab and my Seedot evolved into Nuzleaf. Cipher Peon Digor gave me some trouble as he had a Machop & a Makuhita. He managed to knock out Houndour & Umbreon with
    low kick and arm thrust but Nuzleaf's giga drain saved the day! After the battle Poochyena evolved into Mightyena. I then got to the room with the healing machine where I fully healed
    my team.

My Team:
    Spoiler:

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen yesterday
    This post will have two "spoiler" boxes (assuming this all fits in one post). I think a lot of you know why. I knew Wattson would be a challenge, but I didn't expect it to be as grueling as it was.

Everything between Gym Leader Brawly and Gym Leader Wattson
    Spoiler:

Gym Leader Wattson:

Spoiler:

(I realize now this message wasn't really that long, but it felt like it in my head as I was typing it.)

Infer12

Darkness Incarnate
    Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness (Standard Mode)
    Mono-Dark
    Update 2 (Cipher Lab -> Pyrite Town)

I continued my way through Cipher Lab and caught Carvanha from Cipher Peon Cabol. After getting the ID card to access the elevator, I battled Naps to free the professor. The battle wasn't too hard but Rhyhorn did deal a lot of damage and took my Carvanha out. Dig from Mightyena came in handy before it knocked out another mon. I also found a leaf stone to evolve Nuzleaf after it learns fainth attack at LV 31. Cipher Admin Lovrina was kind of a pushover, Nuzleaf and Houndour sweeped her with giga drain and ember. I picked the Data Rom
    up that Lovrina dropped and brought the professor back to the lab. Once there, I purified Carvanha in the now completed Purify Chamber.

I then went to Pyrite Town so Nett at ONBS could decode the Data Rom. I battled the trainers in town and defeated the first 4 trainers at Pyrite Colosseum to get the TM for Brick Break that I taught to Nuzleaf. With that done, I delivered the Data Rom to Nett and went to the Rock Poké Spot to look for Duking. I fought Mirror B at the Cave Poké Spot and demolished him
    with Mightyena's poison fang. Luck was also with me as my first encounter there was Wooper but you'll see later why I caught him.

Returning to Pyrite Town, ONBS was overrun by team Cipher who were looking for the Data Rom. As I made my through the building Houndour evolved into Houndoom. At the top
    I battled Cipher Cmdr Exol. Loudred and Mawile fell easily to ember and brick break but Girafarig and Raichu posed a problem. I didn't expect Girafarig to have shock wave so it immediately took down my Carvanha. Raichu just hit like a truck but dig saved me again.

Before I went to Phenac City I traded Wooper for Duking's Larvitar. Did you guys know it comes with DRAGON DANCE and OUTRAGE at LV 20!? Crazy! Anyway, that does give me a full
    team of dark types (or will be). I also cleared area 1 and 2 of Mt. Battle.

My Team:
    Spoiler:

Back