• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge v8, Tera Edition

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
  • Pokemon Diamond (Standard Mode)
    Mono-Fighting - Black Belt Brutus
    Update 1 (Lake Verity -> Oreburgh Gym)

First update of my first Mono-Fighting run! I got a Chimchar and quickly evolved it into a Monferno right before getting to Oreburgh Gate, then caught a Machop up in Route 207 and trained it up in Oreburgh Mine. Both their movesets are still pretty simple, only level up moves so far. Both of them have Fire as their Hidden Power type, which isn't really a useful move for either, and I didn't get any other TMs until I beat Roark.

Monferno 2HKOed all of Roark's Pokemon with Mach Punch. Geodude set up Stealth Rock on its turn, Onix used Screech, and would've been 3HKOed had Monferno not gotten a crit on his second Mach Punch, and Cranidos used Pursuit on its turn, evidently expecting me to switch to something that wasn't weak to Rock. Roark used his Potion on Cranidos but the second Mach Punch still KOed it.

Team

Spoiler:

MachoPony

Resident Brony
    Years
  • Heartgold Ground Mono Part 1.

Spoiler:

Team:
    Spoiler:

Charcadet121

Emotional Warrior of Justice
    Days
  • I want to try a mono-fire team on pokemon Scarlet please! Have a Switch and a copy of the game, but will use my brother's profile.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • I want to try a mono-fire team on pokemon Scarlet please! Have a Switch and a copy of the game, but will use my brother's profile.
    Sure! Do you want to play on Standard Mode or Free Mode?

In Standard Mode, you can't use multiple Legendaries, can't trade except for evolution, can't Terastalize to non-Fire types, and can't use Reshiram or Ho-oh.

In Free Mode, you can trade in any unevolved non-Legendary Fire-type Pokemon, can Terastalize your Fire-types to any type, and can use as many Fire-type Legendaries as you can catch, including Reshiram and Ho-oh.

Charcadet121

Days
  • Ok, well, the only reason why I would choose to do Free Mode is bc I would like to be able to eventually Tera an Armarouge into Grass Tera type, but I don't have to do this if it's better. Also, I am incapable of trading due to not having access to Nintendo Swich Online, so my team will already have the disadvantage of not being able to obtain pokemon from other regions. I can tell you right now that my team will for sure include Scovillian (Fire-Grass, for coverage), Armarouge, Chi-yu, and Talonflame. Other pokemon I will find on my way, but this does mean that I can't really counter any dragon types due to being unable to get any Fire-Ice, Fire-Fairy, or Fire-Dragon pokemon in the base game or the DLC (which I will get after I complete my normal run-through). I know that this will be hard, but I will try my best.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • Ok, well, the only reason why I would choose to do Free Mode is bc I would like to be able to eventually Tera an Armarouge into Grass Tera type, but I don't have to do this if it's better. Also, I am incapable of trading due to not having access to Nintendo Swich Online, so my team will already have the disadvantage of not being able to obtain pokemon from other regions. I can tell you right now that my team will for sure include Scovillian (Fire-Grass, for coverage), Armarouge, Chi-yu, and Talonflame. Other pokemon I will find on my way, but this does mean that I can't really counter any dragon types due to being unable to get any Fire-Ice, Fire-Fairy, or Fire-Dragon pokemon in the base game or the DLC (which I will get after I complete my normal run-through). I know that this will be hard, but I will try my best.
    Sure! I've added you to the challengers list as a Standard Mode challenge for now. You can change your run to Free Mode later if you decide you want to Terastalize something into a non-Fire type or use one of the DLC legendaries.

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    Maybe this post isn't so necessary, but I'll say this anyway. I still want to complete the Game Mastery Challenge for Ruby/Sapphire (once I finish my existing casual run of Emerald), but I've been all over the place with tasks lately (especially with the holidays) on top of finishing my "no evolution" (with some asterisks) run of Leaf Green. I will be getting to the Fighting monotype challenge very soon!

Years
  • After 3 years, I am back, I am adding Violet to my Ultimate Monotype Challenge (Fighting). I know I haven't finished the post-game in the fifth generation, but will do eventually, actually playing Violet now to get the remaining Pokédex entries in Scarlet and enjoy the Fighting monotype again,

I will elaborate more later when I beat the first badge, but so far my team consists of Pawmi, Ralts and Quaxly. So yeah, no Fighting-types... Yet. Will be rotating more than 6 Pokémon in my team all the time, to avoid overleveling while exploring. Pretty excited about coming back!

It is quite embarassing I already lost once... To the rival, Nemona. Her Fuecoco got a crit and burnt Ralts with Ember, and then the Pawmi finished me off with the teracristalization (when leaving caught Pokémon in the box, I accidentaly left Pawmi out of the team, not focused xD)

Last edited:

Charcadet121

Days
  • I will start soon, just need to complete the storyline on my main (non-challenge) profile first.

Years
  • The Ultimate Monotype Challenge!

Yellow, HeartGold, Sigma Σmerald, Platinum, White 2, X, Ultra Sun, Sword, Violet.

Additional Rules: - No revives inside battles.
    - No PP stalling by healing all the time.

6. Pokémon Violet Fighting Monotype update No. 1: The start of the journey.

As I said in the previous post, I started with Quaxly, Ralts and Pawmi. None of them are Fighting-types, but they will evolve into them. So far I got 2 badges and beat the giant Klawf. Fighting seems quite easy in this game, as you get Flamigo very early, and it is quite overpowered for the start of the game. It was Adamant as well, so yeah... Apart from her, I also caught a Mankey, a Makuhita and a Crabrawler. This one, I wasn't looking for him, but one of the 1 star tera battles in my map was a Crabrawler, and I wasn't going to complain at all! I plan to get more Pokémon and rotate my team, because otherwise the main 6 would get overleveled. On the way, Quaxly and Pawmi have already evolved.

As for the big fights, Flamigo carried, honestly, with Wing Attack, Grass and Bug Pokémon had nothing to do! Klawf was taken care of with Mankey, quite easily thanks to Low Kick.

And one fight to note, I spent like 15 minutes against a trainer's Igglybuff with Makuhita! Sweet Kiss, Sing, and Cute Charm, I could not attack, Makuhita failed to attack like 6 times in a row with Force Palm due to love!

By the way, I got the Shiny level 75 Lucario via Mystery Gift, but of course I am not using it xD. What I am using, though, is the 30 Quick Balls you get with Mystery Gift too. They save a lot of time catching wild Pokémon! And I need Evolution Stones, so I am catching Pokémon for the Pokédex rewards.
    Spoiler: Current Pokémon

Number of Badges: 2.

Titan Pokémon defeated: 1.

Team Star bases beaten: 0.

Current Location: Artazon.

Number of losses: 1.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. Pokémon Violet Fighting Monotype update No. 2: Many evolutions!

I have gone on with the challenge, caught many new Pokémon and evolved many of them as well!

As for captures, I got a Paldean Tauros (Water-type, took me a while, did not notice at first I was looking for it in the wrong route). Would prefer the Fire-type one, because I will have Quaquaval in the near future, but this is Violet, so yeah... I also caught a lv 16 Riolu with a Luxury Ball, and it mattered, because it became Lucario at level 21! Quite the strong Pokémon, and a special attacker I desperately needed. But it does not end here! I caught Croagunk and Shroomish very close to each other, and of course, Shroomish is already a Breloom. And finally, I caught a Falinks in the Orthworm area. Speaking of that area, I got super happy when I found a Dawn Stone, at last! So now Kirlia is a Gallade! And a few more evolutions occured, Makuhita evolved into Hariyama, and Mankey is now a Primeape. I'll wait a little bit more to get Pawmot.

And the important battles, well, nothing too special. The Bombirdier hit quite hard, but Pawmo paralyzed it with Nuzzle it both rounds and made it manageable. Actually, Arven did a lot of work with his Nacli in the second round. The first 2 Team Star bases were both easy. The Dark-type one had Pokémon weak to Fighting, so quite the advantage for me. The Revavroom was tough, though, but Mankey with Cross Chop ended up beating it. And the second one, the Fire-type one, thanks to Quaxwell and Tauros went well too, but Torkoal with Drought and then the Revavroom again took me a while to defeat.

Iono was a fun battle, and the Mismagius was quite annoying to deal with, but in the end I managed to beat it. And finally the Orthworm was a joke, Lucario with Aura Sphere destroyed it both rounds (the second battle required a Vacuum Wave too, but still, extremely easy). I also battled Nemona before Iono, but she still uses Pawmi, and Rockruff is easy for Fighting-types.

So yeah, that's it for now. Aiming for the fourth badge now, exploring, battling the trainers I find, but at the same time being careful not to overlevel... That's why I am using so many Pokémon in rotation, otherwise my team's levels would skyrocket very fast. I am also using an alternate team just to catch Pokémon, because I don't want the experience!

Number of Badges: 3.

Titan Pokémon defeated: 3.

Team Star bases beaten: 2.

Current Location: Cascarrafa.

Last edited:

MachoPony

Resident Brony
    Years
  • Heartgold Ground Mono Chapter 2: I hate accuracy
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Current Loc.: Ecruteak City
    Badges: 4

Years

Yellow, HeartGold, Sigma Σmerald, Platinum, White 2, X, Ultra Sun, Sword, Violet.

Additional Rules: - No Revives inside battles.
    - "Set" mode for important battles (it doesn't exist in Violet, but I play as if it were set mode).

6. Pokémon Violet Fighting Monotype update No. 3: Team is now fully evolved!

The adventure has continued and I progressed quite a lot! Now my team is fully evolved. Croagunk, Crabrawler and Pawmo were quite weak, so the evolutions helped them a lot. I finally found an Ice Stone in Dalizapa Passage, so Crabrawler could finally evolve. And at level 43, I decided it was a good moment to evolve Primeape into Annihilape. I also caught a Passimian and thought about training it, but in the end I didn't, 12 Pokémon seem enough xD.

As for the important battles, we start with Kofu! Pawmo was the MVP here, with Spark she paralyzed the Veluza and it failed to attack, and then also took down the Wugtrio. She lost to Crabominable, but then Primeape finished the fight using Cross Chop and then Low Kick, surviving the Crabhammer with 3 HP!

Atticus was next. His Skuntank did a lot of damage to Gallade, but fell to Sacred Sword. Tautos beat Muk and the small Revavroom with Zen Headbutt (clutch flinch) and Bulldoze, respectively. And then the big Revavroom hit my Tauros with a crit, triggering Anger Point! It wasn't enough to beat it, but it was left very weakened, and Quaxwell finished the fight.

Larry was very easy, I thought Staraptor would be scary, but he didn't use Close Combat so Lucario destroyed it with Aura Sphere.

Then I fought Nemona again, and she was much stronger than last time! Lycanroc and Goomy were easy, but Primeape missed Cross Chop versus Pawmo, then she paralyzed me with Thunder Wave and got a crit Spark, leaving Primeape with 8 HP. Thankfully, Cross Chop didn't miss twice. And finally, Skeledirge was very strong. Falinks managed to hit it twice with Rock Tomb, and then Hariyama and Pawmo managed to finish the job. After this fight, Quaxwell evolved! Now everyone is finally a Fighting-type!

Next up was Ryme! The combination of Hariyama with Knock Off and Crabominable with Ice Hammer destroyed her first 2 Pokémon, but Hariyama ended up going down to Discharge (which actually also killed her own Houndstone xP) and Ice Hammer missed... Then all her Toxtricity's stats went up, and Hyper Voice did a lot of damage to both Breloom and Crabominable, but in the end Bullet Seed + Ice Hammer were enough!

And finally Iron Treads was a joke, a single Lucario's Aura Sphere was enough in the first round, and for the second one, it managed to make Lucario Flinch with Iron Head, but thanks to Steadfast and Arven's Scovillain using Scary Face I was faster, and Aura Sphere + Fire Fang (from Scovillain) + Vacuum Wave were enough to destroy it.

After this I am aiming for the final 2 badges!

Number of Gym Badges: 6.

Titan Pokémon defeated: 4.

Team Star bases beaten: 3.

Current Location: Asado Desert.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. Pokémon Violet Fighting Monotype update No. 4: All gyms done!

I kept going with the game and finished many important battles. Now my whole team is lv 50.

Before the 7th badge, I fought Nemona again. I didn't include Tauros and Quaquaval in the team, and forgot about this rival fight, oh well... The fight was very similar to the previous one. Lycanroc and Sliggo were easy. Pawmot was annoying, as with Spark paralyzed my Crabominable, who failed to attack. In the next turn, however, an Avalanche was enough. And Skeledirge, uffff, killed 4 Pokémon (Crabominable, Hariyama, Annihilape and Gallade), but ended up going down to Sucker Punch from Toxicroak. A bit of a misplay on my part, as I went for Knock Off with Hariyama instead of Drain Punch, stupidly forgetting about her Terastallization. Missed Tauros and Quaquaval a bit here, but managed to win.

Next up was the Psychic gym. After the dumbest Gym test ever, I fought Tulip, quite a scary fight, with Fighting-types. It was a matter of Speed. Quaquaval with 2 Aqua Step beat the Farigiraf, but fell to Gardevoir. Toxicroak finished the Gardevoir off but died to a Psychic from Espathra, But then Annihilape was enough to win the fight, surviving a very strong Moonblast from Florges with 18 HP.

After this I had the final gym fight versus Grusha. Flamigo dealt with Frosmoth and Beartic, but fell to Cetitan's Ice Shard (Beartic had left her quite weakened). Crabominable beat the Cetitan with 2 Brick Breaks, and his last Pokémon was Altaria. With Hurricane it destroyed both Crabominable and Falinks, but thankfully Tauros endured the hit and defeated him with 2 Double Kicks. All Gyms cleared!

And last but not least, I also beat Team Star Ortega with his Fairy Pokémon. Toxicroak all by herself destroyed his whole team with Poison Jab (Dachsbun, Azumarill and Wigglytuff fell down in 1 turn), surving the Revavroom's attacks with 9 HP in the end (he went for Confuse Ray, but Toxicroak didn't hit herself a single time).

That's it so far, will keep going!

Number of Gym Badges: 8.

Titan Pokémon defeated: 4.

Team Star bases beaten: 4.

Current Location: Ruchbah Squad's Base.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. Pokémon Violet Fighting Monotype update No. 5: THE DOUBLE SHINY!

I have advanced quite a lot and I am just about to fight the E4 and Champion, but something more important happened. As soon as I started my game after the previous update and entered Casseroya Lake, I spotted a Shiny Croagunk! I immediately caught it, ironically using my Toxicroak... But it did not end there. 10 minutes later, also in Casseroya Lake, I found a shiny Goomy! Unbelievable, 2 shinies in 10 minutes, with all the bad luck I've had with shinies in the past (shiny Seaking fled in FireRed Safari Zone, for example), I could not believe it!

So yeah, amazing! But let's get back to the challenge. Dondozo and Tatsugiri were both easy for Toxicroak. They even used Water Pulse and Muddy Water, triggering Dry Skin, so yeah...

Next up was Eri, the Fighting-type trainer of the game, so battle of the Fighting-types. My Flamigo destroyed both Toxicroak and Annihilape with Brave Bird. I switched into Breloom, who stood Dragon Pulse + Aura Sphere from Lucario and beat it with Brick Break. Passimian defeated Breloom, but Quaquaval with a couple of Aqua Steps beat it (it was raining, I hoped to get a 1-hit KO, but he survived). And Revavroom was scary, because it set up Shift Gear Twice, surviving my Quaquaval's Brave Bird + Aqua Jet. Gallade in the end finished the battle, surviving the Spin Out with very low HP but destroying the Revavroom with a couple of Psycho Cuts!

Clavell was the toughest fight so far! 2 Throat Chop from Flamigo beat the Oranguru, but Yawn put my bird to sleep. I switched into Lucario to beat Abomasnow, but his next Pokémon Houndoom was faster and destroyed Lucario with Fire Blast. Tauros dealt with it easily, but he sent Gyarados, and I didn't have Pawmot with me. I sent Toxicroak to immediately eat an Earthquake and die. Gallade managed to survive Aqua Tail and beat Gyarados, and then also Polteageist with Psycho Cut. Finally, Meowscarada destroyed Gallade, but Crabominable survived the Play Rough and finished the fight with a single Avalanche!

Next up was Penny (what a surprise, she was the leader of Team Star, so hard to predict!) Anyways, it was a very easy fight. Quaquaval beat Umbreon, Flareon and Leafeon using Close Combat, Aqua Step and Brave Bird, respectively, and Breloom dealt with Jolteon, Vaporeon and Sylveon, putting the latter to sleep with Spore and easily beating it with 2 Seed Bombs.

And last but not least, I also fought Arven. Toxicroak's Low Kick did pathetic damage to Greedent (I thought it was heavier!), and Psychic Fangs destroyed me. Amazing start! But after this, combining Drain Punch and Close Combat, Hariyama destroyed almost his whole team (Greedent, Scovillain, Toedscruel, Garganacl and Cloyster). My defenses were low, though, and Hariyama fell to a single Play Rough from Mabostiff. But Pawmot with Close Combat easily finished the battle.

Now time to challenge the Elite Four and Geeta!

Titan Pokémon defeated: 5.

Team Star bases beaten: 5.

Current Location: Pokémon League.

Last edited:

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • Pokemon Diamond (Standard Mode)
    Mono-Fighting - Black Belt Brutus
    Update 2 (Ravaged Path -> Galactic Eterna Building)

My second update of this run is a little late since I took a break from Pokemon for the holidays, but I'm back. I made my way through Ravaged Path up to Floaroma and the Valley Windworks, and caught a Heracross much more quickly than I expected at a honey tree. Alas, he had the wrong ability and a bad nature on top of that, so I spent too much time looking for a new Heracross with Guts, but I had bad luck this time and gave up. I trounced Mars easily and made my way up through Eterna Forest into Eterna City, then made a detour to Route 211 and caught a Meditite too.

Since there were few good move options at this point in the game and I don't know how to make TMs reusable in Diamond, I hacked in a pair of Rock Tomb TMs for my new Pokemon. I don't intend to do this often and my planned final movesets only involve a single duplicate TM, which can be bought in the Battle Tower anyway. (Gym leaders like Gardenia have full teams with finite-TM moves, so it's only fair.) Heracross's other moves are all level-up moves, as are Meditite's Hidden Power and Confusion. Meditite learned Rock Smash via HM as her first STAB Fighting move, but I'll trade her to a copy of Platinum to have the Move Deleter get rid of it when the time comes to learn a better move.

My existing Pokemon got new moves too: Monferno learned both of the Gym Leaders' TMs, Stealth Rock and Grass Knot, and upgraded its Fire move to Flame Wheel. Machop also learned Rock Tomb and Thief.

Mars was a pushover and I didn't even bother writing down her fight. Gardenia was quite easy too, and I swept her with Monferno. He 1HKOed Cherubi and 2HKOed Turtwig and Roserade. The latter paralyzed him but the former didn't really do anything at all.

I usually end these updates at a gym leader, but I decided I'd rather end this one after Jupiter since she's in the same city as the gym. I led with Meditite, and she 2HKOed Zubat and took a little damage from Giga Drain. I switched to Machop against Skuntank, and he got hit by a useless Smokescreen and then a Night Slash, and then he stole Skuntank's Sitrus Berry with Thief. I quickly switched to Heracross so the early Sitrus Berry wouldn't get eaten, and he easily survived both of its Night Slash attacks and 2HKOed it with Brick Break.

Team

Spoiler:

Years

- "Set" mode for important battles (it doesn't exist in Violet, but I play as if it were set mode).

6. Pokémon Violet Fighting Monotype update No. 6: Battling the E4 and the champions!

If you haven't seen it, check what happened in the previous update, because it was the craziest thing that has ever happened to me in a Pokémon game (and I've been playing for over 20 years xD)

Anyways, I fought the E4, Geeta and Nemona to finish the last of the 3 Treasure Hunt paths.

Rika was very easy. Breloom swept her whole team with the exception of Camerupt, who Tauros easily dealt with. Only Donphan managed to survive the Seed Bomb and hit me with Poison Jab, but it did not do enough damage.

Next up was Poppy. Falinks beat Copperajah and Corviknight thanks to No Retreat stat boosts, but fell to Bronzong. After that Toxicroak easily finished the fight using Sucker Punch and Low Kick, getting a crit versus the Tinkaton.

Larry was next. My team is weak to Flying, so let's see! Falinks dealt with the Tropius with 3 Rock Tomb. He was stupid and went for SolarBeam when Air Slash would have koed me. Staraptor defeated my Falinks, but Pawmot with a single Double Shock took it down, at the cost of losing its Electric-type. With a couple of Play Roughs, she also beat the Altaria, but lost to Oricorio. My Tauros finished the job, but fell to Flamigo's Brave Bird. However, this left Larry's last Pokémon severely weakened, and my own Flamigo outsped his and finished the fight.

Hassel was quite tough. 2 Dragon Pulses from Lucario beat the Noivern, but he did a lot of damage with Super Fang + Air Slash. Both Flapple and Dragalge were easy food for my Gallade, but Haxorus outsped my Pokémon and destroyed it with Dragon Claw (that -Def nature...), and then proceeded to beat Crabominable as well thanks to Iron Head making my Pokémon flinch. However, now it was my turn to be lucky, and after Thunder Wave Haxorus didn't attack twice in a row so Pawmot with 2 Play Roughs defeated him. And finally, Baxcalibur beat my Pawmot but ate a Play Rough first, so in the end Quaquaval with Close Combat managed to end the battle!

Geeta was next. With a couple of Rage Fists, Annihilape beat the Espathra, but Lumina Crash did a lot of damage and she also set Reflect up. After this I sent Lucario, and he defeated both Gogoat and Kingambit, but Gogoat left my Pokémon with 5 HP, so Veluza with Aqua Jet beat it. Breloom easily dealt with the fish, but fell to Avalugg, as Spore was not enough... However, Gallade easily beat her final 2 Pokémon, Avalugg and Glimmora!

And last but not least, Nemona was the final battle of this road! Her levels were quite scary! But my Falinks destroyed 4 of her 6 Pokémon. After using No Retreat, Lycanroc, Pawmot, Dudunsparce and Orthworm all fell to Body Press. Goodra took a lot of damage but finally beat my Falinks. Toxicroak with a Poison Jab finished the job against the dragon, and finally, Skeledirge was not that scary, this time with Tauros in the team! She beat my Toxicroak, but fell to a single Raging Bull!

So that's it so far! Next update I'll fight Turo and finish the game and the challenge!

Current Location: Zero Gate.

Last edited:

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    (It's nice to see this thread active.) I got insomnia, so I guess I'll post my adventure thus far. Yes, that's right, I've started the Fighting monotype playthrough of Ruby/Sapphire. I decided to go with Pokémon Ruby for this one since the rules permit it for the Game Mastery challenge I'm doing, just not Emerald. While I'm on the subject, I will admit I haven't finished the existing playthrough of Emerald, nor have I completed the "no evolution" challenge of Leaf Green (where I have 8 badges), but on with the show.

Spoiler:

Spoiler: "Too Long! Didn't Read!"

Charcadet121

Days
  • My update:

Sunday:
    Started up a game of Pokémon Scarlet. Chose Feucoco due to Fire typing. On Poco Path caught a Flecthling, and attempted to catch a Houndour. Did my way through the school cutscene parts.

Monday:
    Internet is officially out for me, so returned back to Inlet Grotto to catch a Houndour. Travelled through South Province Area 2, beat the first gym easy, though Houndour did Faint. Feucoco's name is now Singe, Fletchling is now Ruby, and Houndour is now Inferna. Went to Area 3 and caught 2 fire types: Charcadet (Crimson) and Growlithe (Flame.) Beat Stone Titan.

Tuesday:
    Evolved Ruby into Fletchinder and Singe into Crocodaur (?). Beat second gym. Caught 6th Pokémon, Capsikid (will evolve into grass-fire type). Beat Sky Titan. Am very grateful for Flame's Helping Hand move. Am on route to Dark Crew Base. Stopped playing bc I needed to update before continuing. Will play again soon.

Team:

Ruby
    Singe
    Inferna
    Crimson
    Flame
    Caspikid.

Badges:

Gym: 2/8
    Titan: 2/5
    Starfall: 0/5

Years

6. Pokémon Violet Fighting Monotype update No. 7: Iron Valiant is the last obstacle!

So yeah, let's finish this! Turo was my last obstacle to finish this challenge. And it could not start worse. Iron Moth was really lucky and got flinches against my Tauros and my Gallade, and also beat Flamigo with Discharge. Breloom took it down, but fell to Iron Bundle, so it was a 2 vs. 5 fight on the spot! Annihilape and Pawmot managed to beat the rest of his team surviving with low HP, but Iron Valiant was faster and destroyed my remaining Pokémon, so I lost to Turo.

Next try went much better against the Iron Moth, and with similar strategies, I got again to the Iron Valiant, but with a much healthier team! Not enough, though, it swept my Pokémon again! So another loss!

I took some measures, as the problem was the Iron Valiant. I added Toxicroak and Lucario to the team, equipping the former with a Choice Scarf and the latter with Focus Sash, to beat the Valiant. It worked very well! Battle went quite similarly to the previous one, but this time Toxicroak outsped the Iron Valiant and almost beat it with a single Sludge Bomb. Lucario with Vacuum Wave finished the fight, so Turo was defeated!

So challenge is complete! Had a lot of fun with this, Fighting-type Pokémon are strong and hit hard, and also have decent coverage options, but defensively some struggle, and my team was not the fastest either. I usually analyze every Pokémon after finishing a run, but this time I won't xD, too many Pokémon, too lazy to do it! Just wanna say Gallade with Sharpness was really good, it hit really hard. And Falinks may have been the weakest, but its final battle against Nemona was great!

After beating Turo I caught Iron Hands and Iron Valiant, and just had fun using them rebattling Team Star and the gym leaders. While catching Iron Valiant, I spotted a blue Lycanroc in the distance, so third shiny in the run, insane! I also beat the Academy Ace tournament twice, and that's it! Here is the list of my final Pokémon!

Current Location: Mesagoza.

Number of losses: 3.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what's next? Actually, I don't know, I think I'll take a small break from the challenge and play other games, also want to use this Violet playthrough to finish my Scarlet Pokédex and also start the DLC in that game, so yeah... But I want to finish the E4 Rematches in White 2, and beat X soon enough!

GrassN

Formerly ElectricN
    Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2024
    User: GrassN
    Type: Flying
    Game(s): Red
    Challenge Type: single
    Standard Mode / Free Mode: Standard

I've only ever done grass and psychic mono runs before, and though those two are my favorite types, I want to mix it up and try something different, so I'm going to do an ultimate mono run! Listing this as Single, as I think I'll take a break around the diamond/pearl step, but I do intend to try and complete it at some point!

GrassN

Formerly ElectricN
    Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2024
    Update 1:
    Moving along pretty quickly. Brock was surprisingly easy (does his team in gen 1 even know any rock moves?). Biggest issue so far is none of my team knows any flying moves for the early grass/bug/fighting types. Took me forever to figure out the Gust is not flying in the first gen - its been years since I've played this gen, so I'm re-learning as I go lol. But enjoying the flying types so far! Go to has been Butterfree with all the status moves and Confusion. Pidgeotto and Charmeleon I've used semi-often, but again not in gen 1. I have truly *never* used Zubat before, as I don't like its line, but its been okay, as leech life works well. But I'm farely positive it doesn't learn any poison moves this gen, so I'm debating if I should sub it out down the road.

I technically also have a Magikarp, since i bought it at Mt. Moon, but I left it at the day care for now.

Charmeleon - lvl 18
    1705263918202.png
    Mega Punch
    Ember
    Seismic Toss
    Leer

Butterfree - lvl 21
    1705263930509.png
    Supersonic
    Stun Spore
    Confusion
    Sleep Powder