• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge v8, Tera Edition

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire Game Mastery Challenge Update: Pokémon Ruby - Mono Fighting-Type Part 2

There isn't much to say this time, so I won't include a TLDR version. It's just the 2nd gym badge and delivering the letter to Steven.

Spoiler: The Full Read

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire Game Mastery Challenge Update: Pokémon Ruby - Mono Fighting-Type Part 3

Have I mentioned how much I hate using the alt code for the letter e with an accent on this laptop? (The alt key only works with the numbers if I turn on number lock, which is not convenient since it turns on the num pad where the built-in trackpad is. I really need to learn to use this laptop on a table with a wireless USB mouse.)

Spoiler: The long read

Spoiler: TLDR

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire Game Mastery Challenge Update: Pokémon Ruby - Mono Fighting-Type Part 4

I might leave out some details (like the Trick House), but I'll try my best to summarize.

Spoiler: The Full Read

Spoiler: Movesets and Strats

Spoiler: TLDR

MachoPony

Resident Brony
    Years
  • Heartgold Ground Mono Pt.3

Spoiler:

Team:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen today
    Single Fire Run
    Sapphire / FIRST AND FINAL / I'd Rather Be Riding a Chocobo

In this post (i.e., TL;DR)
    Spoiler:

The full read:
    Spoiler:

Team Stats:
    Spoiler:

With the sole Fire I needed to redo done, back to the remaining two Rock. Next up, Sapphire again but with Rock.

Sorry that this was a long time coming, my son had me try to get the entire Paldea-dex in 100 real time hours. I had 398 because Kingambit is ridiculous and he forgot that he let his mom use his box legendary so I couldn't add it to mine. That was...tiring. But I'm back to this. Let's get these last two re-runs out of the way and then I'll be on my sixth type.

Sign-Up:
    User: StenirRPG
    Type: Rock
    Game(s): Sapphire
    Challenge Type: Single
    Standard Mode / Free Mode: Standard

Open Question: I'll go back and check the rules, but I know they allow for evolving those who evolve via trading evolutions. Since I'm doing Rock next, and that has the Geodude line available, what's an appropriate level to evolve into Golem? My thought is that I would wait until all of the rest of my team had evolved, but if I were to go the route (and historically, I haven't which kinda makes life a little rough for Graveler when it's not Golem at times), is there a suggested level...or, rather, a suggested point to clear before evolving? "Congrats, Graveler, you finished Gym 8 - time to evolve"

Last edited:

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • Open Question: I'll go back and check the rules, but I know they allow for evolving those who evolve via trading evolutions. Since I'm doing Rock next, and that has the Geodude line available, what's an appropriate level to evolve into Golem? My thought is that I would wait until all of the rest of my team had evolved, but if I were to go the route (and historically, I haven't which kinda makes life a little rough for Graveler when it's not Golem at times), is there a suggested level...or, rather, a suggested point to clear before evolving? "Congrats, Graveler, you finished Gym 8 - time to evolve"
    I personally think around a dozen or so levels after becoming a Graveler would be ideal; i.e. sometime in the mid-high 30s. If you'd rather have a point in-game to evolve it rather than a set level, I'd suggest beating the fifth gym leader, which would be Norman in RSE.

You can absolutely evolve it earlier if you want, though. These are suggestions, not hard restrictions.

Years
    • Seen today
    Thanks for the reply - something I was thinking this morning I might do is take one of the items I don't plan on using that run and just making that the evo method. Maybe have using one of the standard hold/trading items trigger the evolution, such as something really random like a Metal Coat on Graveler. I'm already using the randomizer to change the starter for the first five gens, but that definitely is a way to run with it.

I do agree, Norman would be relatively appropriate. Just in time for Winona.

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    I was going to wait until I beat Gym Leader 7 and post the update about that before I say this, but I'll go ahead and say this now.

I previously hinted that there'd only be one more team member for me to catch, but that's no longer the case.

First, I'll go ahead and say I caught a Meditite which will evolve into Medicham, and I plan on having it learn Shadow Ball and Hidden power Dragon (albeit only 61 or 62 base power) against Phoebe and Drake, Thunder Punch for Glacia, and either Psychic (for STAB) or Ice Punch (just to really play it safe against Drake). I'm trying to decide, and I'd appreciate advice: Should I leave out Psychic or Ice Punch, or should I maybe forget about using Hidden Power Dragon (since it's not a perfect 70 base power or even, like, 65+ base power). I know, I know... I could just grind the team to level 70 for overkill, but that's not the way it's gonna be.

My good friend [name and address withheld] pointed out that I forgot Heracross from the Hoenn Safari Zone and insisted I use him. I'm not entirely sure what moves to teach him/her (I'm tired and don't feel like grinding for a specific gender in the Safari Zone of all places). Brick Break is admittedly very nice to have by "level up," but I worry about the accuracy of Megahorn and the recoil damage of Take Down. I guess I could teach Machamp "Strength" (it's the signature move of Machamp in Gen 7) and give Heracross Return (when I reach Pacifidlog and receive the 2nd TM27) since Heracross's base Phsyical Attack is 125.

Spoiler: Movesets for The First Four Tough Guys

Could someone please help me out here?

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • First, I'll go ahead and say I caught a Meditite which will evolve into Medicham, and I plan on having it learn Shadow Ball and Hidden power Dragon (albeit only 61 or 62 base power) against Phoebe and Drake, Thunder Punch for Glacia, and either Psychic (for STAB) or Ice Punch (just to really play it safe against Drake). I'm trying to decide, and I'd appreciate advice: Should I leave out Psychic or Ice Punch, or should I maybe forget about using Hidden Power Dragon (since it's not a perfect 70 base power or even, like, 65+ base power). I know, I know... I could just grind the team to level 70 for overkill, but that's not the way it's gonna be.

I would personally leave out Hidden Power, Ice Punch would be much better against Drake because four of his Pokemon are 4x weak to Ice.

If you want a different option to make Medicham a better special sweeper, teaching it Calm Mind would boost its otherwise-lackluster special attack, giving you a great special attacker if you have time to set it up for a couple turns. Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, and Psychic hits everything but Magneton for at least neutral damage, and nobody in the E4 uses Magneton. However, it'd make Medicham much worse against Phoebe if you're having trouble with her.

My good friend [name and address withheld] pointed out that I forgot Heracross from the Hoenn Safari Zone and insisted I use him. I'm not entirely sure what moves to teach him/her (I'm tired and don't feel like grinding for a specific gender in the Safari Zone of all places). Brick Break is admittedly very nice to have by "level up," but I worry about the accuracy of Megahorn and the recoil damage of Take Down. I guess I could teach Machamp "Strength" (it's the signature move of Machamp in Gen 7) and give Heracross Return (when I reach Pacifidlog and receive the 2nd TM27) since Heracross's base Phsyical Attack is 125.

Normally, I'd run Brick Break, Megahorn, Return, and Earthquake on Gen 3 Heracross, but since you already used your TM26 on Machamp, that leaves it with a coverage gap against Ghosts. You don't seem to have used your Toxic TM yet, so I'd run Toxic on Heracross to give it at least some use against Ghost-types. Megahorn's accuracy isn't great but it's still one of the few Bug moves in Gen 3 that's worth using.

Blaziken: Return, Blaze Kick (Charcoal), Aerial Ace, Brick Break

This is a good moveset; though I'd personally switch Blaze Kick out for Fire Punch for the higher accuracy, even if the power is lower. However, if you have a lot of money to spend or time to waste, Flamethrower is strictly better than both. Unfortunately, it's RSE's only Game Corner exclusive TM and costs 4,000 coins, which is 80,000P if you don't want to spend hours grinding the Roulette or Slots.

Breloom: Hidden Power Ice 68, Giga Drain (Miracle Seed), Sludge Bomb, Sky Uppercut

Breloom doesn't need a STAB move, its special attack is much worse than its physical attack. Grass is not that great against most of the E4, anyway. I ran Iron Tail on Breloom to help it deal with Ghosts in my Grass monotype, and Stun Spore as its fourth move, but yours actually has a good Hidden Power, so I'd keep it just for Drake, since his team is 4x weak to Ice.

Machamp: Return, Revenge, Cross Chop, Earthquake

I'd teach Bulk Up to Machamp, getting rid of one of its Fighting-type moves. Keep Earthquake and Return. Don't teach it Strength, it's much worse than Return unless it's happiness is terrible and/or you just caught it.

Hariyama: Strength, Hidden Power Fighting 70, Belly Drum???, Surf

Keep Hidden Power, and have it learn Belly Drum. Ditch Strength for Secret Power, the 30% chance paralysis chance in indoor environments (i.e. the League) will help with Hariyama's low speed and with Belly Drum, Strength's slightly higher base power won't make a difference. This leaves it with a fourth move that needs to hit Ghosts, and preferably a physical one given that Hariyama's special attack is a third of its attack. Since you've already used up your Earthquake TM, that leaves Dig and Rock Tomb. Dig will have more reliable accuracy, but Phoebe's entire team can inflict status conditions which would make Dig riskier against her than against most trainers. Rock Tomb will lower the Ghosts' speed, but its accuracy is only 80%. Either of them will be risky in their own ways so it's up to you. Of course, if you've used and forgotten one of the TMs already, it's a no-brainer to pick the other. Also, give it your Quick Claw as a held item.

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    I'm not going to quote every single thing because I think it'd be a mess, so I'm going to go through the team members in the order you replied to them in. (Is that correct grammar? Oh, well, it gets the communication done.)

Medicham: Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, Psychic, and Calm Mind sounds good. Phoebe's not the one I'm scared of. Drake's Salamance is almost as scary as Red's Gen II Snorlax.

Heracross: I actually do have the TM for Toxic. For some reason I was thinking "badly poisoned" was the one where it's consistently 1/8 max HP in damage per turn, but ... that's completely wrong. Koga says himself that it deals more and more damage over time. I remember reading in a YouTube comment that people (probably speedrunners) sometimes prefer regular poison because it's an immediate 1/8 instead of 1/16 leading into potentially one quarter or eventually half after enough turns, and ... it got mutated in my head.

So: Brick Break, Megahorn, Toxic, and ... umm... I don't know. I think the Secret Power salesman will sell me a 2nd Secret Power, right? I already bought two Hidden Power HMs. One last thing, and this is important, Heracross gets the King's Rock, right? Medicham gets the Magnet for Glacia, and the Nevermeltice for Drake (and pRRRobably Champion Steven's Claydol and Cradilly)

Blaziken: Flamethrower's better than Blaze Kick? Oh, no, what am I to do? Good thing my Zigzagoon brought me plenty of Nuggets to sell. 140,000+ Yen right now! Not too shabby! The Amulet Coin certainly didn't hurt either. /Joking No, but for real, I got enough to buy a Flamethrower TM this time around.

Breloom: Yeah, I really felt blessed when I finally caught a Shroomish with Hidden Power Ice at base power 68! I'll keep the Miracle Seed Giga Drain until I can swindle Sootopolis City out of an HM for Waterfall though. (Waterfall is required for accessing Iron Tail in Meteor Falls if memory serves.)

Machamp: Yeah, the friendship stat is 195 right now due to trade evolution, but that was before Norman (yes, I did jump the gun with Machoke turning into Machamp, but what's done is done). That's still 78 base power already, and it's only a matter of time before it approaches 102 base power.

Hariyama: HOLD! UP! Did you just say Secret Power does stuff indoors, and it's useful?! Anyway, yeah, I was worried Belly Drum would be too risky. Dat low speed. I was thinking about the Quick Claw, but I was hoping the Mystic Water would... you know... help Hariyama Surf harder!

(Next update spoiler warning: Hariyama barely did any damage at all with Surf in Tate & Liza's gym battle!)

I'll give an update next reply because I don't want this message to get much longer. Thank you for the advice.

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire Game Mastery Challenge Update: Pokémon Ruby - Mono Fighting-Type Part 5

I only got the one gym badge this time, but I did get the 5th team member. Oh, I guess it won't be the last team member either. Whoops.

Spoiler: Full Read

Spoiler: Team Strats Thus Far

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • Pokemon Diamond (Standard Mode)
    Mono-Fighting - Black Belt Brutus
    Update 3 (Route 206 -> Veilstone Gym)

Wow, that took a long time. Has it really been nearly a month? I know I've been busy playing other games, but still. Anyway, I went down Route 206, then went up through Mt. Coronet to Hearthome, then Solaceon, then finally Veilstone City, evolving my Machop into a Machoke just south of Solaceon.

My party is a little overleveled right now, so nothing really gave me much trouble. Heracross swept through both my Rival and Maylene, the latter having her whole team 1HKOed by Heracross after a single Swords Dance. She wasn't a complete pushover, though. Her Meditite did a little damage to Heracross with Confusion and her Lucario brought him down to half his HP with a Metal Claw before it fainted.

My team only learned two new moves this time. Machoke learned Payback via TM, giving him a stronger Dark-type move, and Heracross learned Swords Dance from a Game Corner TM. (I hacked in some coins for this because grinding the slots with Clefairy bonus rounds, though easily doable, is very tedious and I wanted to get it over with.) I also got some actual non-berry held items for the rest of my team, all Plates.

Team

Spoiler:

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    I'm looking over the tentative list of teams I have planned for the later challenges within my "Game Mastery Challenge" of Ruby/Sapphire. I hadn't fully realized Geodude isn't available until Granite Cave. If that is the case, I will have to hack in a different starter. What's the restriction on that? Do I have to use Geodude or Aron since they're available first? I won't be adding Slugma of course since it doesn't become rock-type until it evolves. What about Rhyhorn though? It's a bit over-powered with Horn Attack and later Stomp, but Roxanne's rock-types are resistant to normal-type attacks, and Brawly has the fighting-type with moves that are super effective against rock-types like Rhydon.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • I'm looking over the tentative list of teams I have planned for the later challenges within my "Game Mastery Challenge" of Ruby/Sapphire. I hadn't fully realized Geodude isn't available until Granite Cave. If that is the case, I will have to hack in a different starter. What's the restriction on that? Do I have to use Geodude or Aron since they're available first? I won't be adding Slugma of course since it doesn't become rock-type until it evolves. What about Rhyhorn though? It's a bit over-powered with Horn Attack and later Stomp, but Roxanne's rock-types are resistant to normal-type attacks, and Brawly has the fighting-type with moves that are super effective against rock-types like Rhydon.
    You do not have to use Geodude or Aron, you can use any Rock-type that starts out as a Rock-type, is unevolved, and has the capacity to evolve further. This includes Geodude, Aron, and Rhyhorn, which you mentioned, and also Lileep and Anorith, which you did not. (If you choose one of the two fossils, it's completely fine to take the other and get both fossil Pokemon when you reach the desert.)

You may not choose Slugma, since it doesn't start out as part-Rock, and you may not choose Nosepass, Lunatone, Solrock, Corsola, Relicanth, or Regirock because they don't evolve, though you can certainly catch all of these later.

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    Hol' up!

[Joke Over] I might pick Anorith as the starter then since it learns Water Gun at level 19 to handle Roxanne, which is incredibly reasonable not only because it'll be my only party member until Granite Cave, but also... that thing's in the "erratic leveling rate" category. It'll be at level 20 in no time at all. I kind of hate starting off with a bug-type, but I can't argue with results. Dat 95 base Attack! (The 75 base Speed is nice too.)

Days
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Hello, I am interested in this challenge so I will sign up!

User: facundoleonel1
    Type: Electric
    Game(s): Pokemon Yellow
    Challenge Type: Single
    Standard Mode / Free Mode: Standard

I hope i can complete this challenge, this is my first time doing something like this. So wish me luck in my new adventure!

I feel like this is going to be a hard journey but NEVER GIVE UP YOUR DREAMS!

Pikachu_A.gif

Oh, little question..do i have to wait for an approval or i can start today?

Days
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Pokemon Yellow [Mono-Electric (Standard Mode)]
    Start -> Pewter City

[In this Post]
    -Got Pikachu
    -1st Rival battle
    -2nd Rival Battle
    -Brock Battle

Spoiler: Long text

Spoiler: Conclusion

Spoiler: Team