• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auserk

Auserk
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2018
    Ruby Steel Update;

Spoiler:

Current Team:

The Monotype Challenge

SHIKOMI - MAWILE Lv 30
    Vicegrip - Fake Tears - Faint Attack - Flamethrower

The Monotype Challenge

KOZANE - ARON Lv30
    Iron Tail - Iron Defence - Mud Slap - Take Down​

nikkissippi121

Pokémon Professor
    Years
    • Age 29
    • they/them
    • Maine
    • Seen Sep 2, 2022
    I completed Yellow (I was impatient, I guess! lol) :D Here's my team:

Relaxo the Snorlax - Lv. 43 - Strength, Surf, Fissure, Fire Blast
    Bubba the Clefable - Lv. 50 - Water Gun, Seismic Toss, Sing, Ice Beam
    Chewy the Raticate - Lv. 45 - BubbleBeam, Dig, Super Fang, Hyper Fang
    Flapso the Pidgeot - Lv. 43 - Wing Attack, Fly, Sky Attack, Razor Wind
    Spro the Fearow - Lv. 43 - Peck, Miror Move, Drill Peck, Fury Attack
    Puffle the Wigglytuff - Lv. 45 - Psychic, SolarBeam, Tri Attack, Thunderbolt
    ------------
    Just beat the E4 on Crystal! Before I go to Kanto, here's my team:

Torro the Furret - Lv. 42, male - Strength, Surf, Rollout, Quick Attack
    Odd Egg the Togetic - Lv. 41, male - Headbutt, Metronome, Sweet Kiss, Shadow Ball
    Chewy Jr. the Raticate - Lv. 40, female - Cut, Pursuit, Quick Attack, Hyper Fang
    Bullo the Granbull - Lv. 41, male - Tackle, Bite, Rage, Mud-Slap
    Albus the Noctowl - Lv. 41, male - Confusion, Peck, Hypnosis, Fly
    Spacer the Dunsparce - Lv. 40, male - Rage, Pursuit, Iron Tail, Spite

Last edited:

Relica

Worst Player Ever
    Years
    So I originally wanted to do a bug mono ultimate challenge, however, life got in the way as soon as I got done with fire red. I decided to redo this challenge with another one of my favorite types though: Fighting Mono Go!

Forum User Name: Relica
    Pokémon Type: Fighting
    Challenge Type: Ultimate
    Game(s): Fire Red, Heart Gold, Sapphire, Platinum, Black, Y

Edit: Lets spend all night doing Fire Red. Good night everybody!
    https://i.imgur.com/c0NIy8T.png
    Spoiler:

A question for anyone in here to please answer. If I get one of the Hitmons in Heart Gold, am I allowed to breed for the other ones? Am I allowed to breed eggmoves on them? I don't really see anything for breeding in the rules, however, I'm curious if there's anything that's been said on that.

Last edited:

Sylvie18

Stray Cat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 1, 2015
    Sorry its been so long since i've posted. Work has been getting pretty hectic since its officially peak season n' stuff. But im finally fiding time to carry on with this again :D

Ultimate Fire monotype challenge:
    Leaf Green
    Soul Silver 9/16
    Emerald 3/8
    X 1/8

Soul silver update #7
    Spoiler:

Badges:
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

The Monotype Challenge

Team:
    Spoiler:

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    A question for anyone in here to please answer. If I get one of the Hitmons in Heart Gold, am I allowed to breed for the other ones? Am I allowed to breed eggmoves on them? I don't really see anything for breeding in the rules, however, I'm curious if there's anything that's been said on that.

You should be fine with breeding something that you acquired in-game. As for egg moves, as long as you are able to get the moves on the father at whatever point of the game you are in, they should be acceptable as well.

Relica

Worst Player Ever
    Years
    Update:
    Sapphire is now done. Join me in the story of how Eric Clapton sang live to defeat the forces of the Elite Four and the champion.

https://i.imgur.com/7UuLkXi.png

Spoiler:

Forum User Name: Relica
    Game(s): Fire Red, Heart Gold, Sapphire, Platinum, Black, Y

What game should I do next? I can't really decide right now, I'm really up to anything but soloing the first two gyms in Heart Gold with a Poliwag right now I'm an idiot, you can only get a Poliwag in grass in g/s/c, not in Heart Gold. I need the fishing rod, so it's technically only one gym, unless I hack myself one in. Yes or no to that?

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    What game should I do next? I can't really decide right now, I'm really up to anything but soloing the first two gyms in Heart Gold with a Poliwag right now I'm an idiot, you can only get a Poliwag in grass in g/s/c, not in Heart Gold. I need the fishing rod, so it's technically only one gym, unless I hack myself one in. Yes or no to that?

You don't need to hack one in. You are allowed to beat Faulkner with your starter so you can go get the Old Rod then go back to Violet City to fish up your Poliwag since that's all before the third gym.

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    Gonna start a water monotype run on Crystal so I havw something to do when bored at work and on lunch lol

Username: Darkhelmet
    Type: Water
    Challenge Type: Single (may change to ultimate if I like the challenge)
    Game: Crystal
    Previous: None

Edit: Am I allowed if I make it into an ultimate, to use a randomizer? I find it makes the game more interesting)

Last edited:
    Years
    Forum User Name: Articuno869
    Pokemon Type: Ground
    Challenge Type: Single
    Game(s): Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, White 2

What's the earliest available ground type in White 2?

Last edited:
    Years
    What's the earliest available ground type pokémon in White 2?

That would be Sandile on Route 4, which can be accessed as soon as you're in Castelia City.

Also, what's the deal with the XY Exp. Share? The vote was tied and it's been just about a full week since it closed, and I'm just eager to see its fate. >_>

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
    What's the earliest available ground type pokémon in White 2?
    In White 2 it would be Sandile, yes. However, if you have Black 2, you can also trade/hack in a Numel since it's a White 2 exclusive.

Also, any chance I could get my name on the Champions list somewhere? Even if it's just as "Gen V Champ" for all my types...

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2014
    Forum User Name: ShinyRed
    Game(s): Platinum

I should be fine, hopefully everything goes fine.

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2023
    Forum User Name: limeemil
    Games: FireRed, Soulsilver, Sapphire, Pearl, White, Y

Last edited:

Auserk

Auserk
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2018
    I have completed my Ruby run with Steel Monotype. As with my normal monotype the Elite 4 and Steven were a big hurdle and I ended up having to grind up levels while also getting a lucking earthquake critical to take out Metagross.

The Monotype Challenge

FINAL TEAM

The Monotype Challenge

Kozane the Aggron Lv 66
    Iron Tail
    Brick Break
    Earthquake
    Ice Beam

The Monotype Challenge

Katana the Skarmory Lv 65
    Fly
    Steel Wing
    Swift
    Metal Sound

The Monotype Challenge

Lode the Magneton Lv 66
    Thunder
    Supersonic
    Rain Dance
    Tri Attack

The Monotype Challenge

Shikomi the Mawile Lv 66
    Sludge Bomb
    Rock Tomb
    Crunch
    Flamethrower​

Next runs I am working on;

Forum User Name: Auserk
    Games: Red

Forum User Name: Auserk
    Pokémon Type: Steel
    Games: Platinum

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2023
    Question. What if a pokemon uses Roar on me and one of my HM slaves is sent out?
    Does it immediately count as though I used it or can I save myself by switching to something else?

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Question. What if a pokemon uses Roar on me and one of my HM slaves is sent out?
    Does it immediately count as though I used it or can I save myself by switching to something else?

It's fine if something like that happens since you can't help it. Just spam status moves until your HM slave faints (what I usually do) or if you need to just switch back. I usually wait for it to faint so it doesn't get experience from the battle.

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2023
    It's fine if something like that happens since you can't help it. Just spam status moves until your HM slave faints (what I usually do) or if you need to just switch back. I usually wait for it to faint so it doesn't get experience from the battle.
    Thank you! I will keep that in mind.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Sorry about not posting in this thread in forever, but I finally got around to doing some of my Water Monotype:

Water Monotype on Ruby, 2nd Update:

-passed through the route between Rustboro and Rusturf Tunnel, kickin' some trainer ass
    -caught up the Magma Grunt that thought kidnapping Peeko was a good idea. Beat him and got back Peeko+Devon Goods
    -got to meet the Devon President, who gave me the PokeNav but then turned me into his errand girl
    -sailed with Mr. Briney to Dewford. How the hell do we fit into that tiny, tiny boat of his?
    -landed in Dewford, and made my way to Granite Cave because I can never remember if you're supposed to do that first or beat the Gym first
    -Mudkipz evolved. So now I have a Marshtomp named Mudkpiz
    -got the HM for Flash from the Hiker at the entrance of Granite Cave
    -headed back to the Gym because that's what you're supposed to do first
    -Trumpets was boss in the gym, sweeping the trainers aside with Wing Attack. And then it met Brawly and his super potions. Trumpets fell to Brawly's Machop+super potions, but then Mudkpiz came in and cleaned everything up.
    -went back into Granite Cave, only to realize that I have no Pokemon that can learn Flash. So I stumbled my way through that pitch-black cave, and managed to find Steven and give him the letter. Kinda wanna know what was written in there; totally should've opened it up and read it.
    -exited the cave (yay Escape Ropes!)

Current Badges:
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

Current Team:
    The Monotype Challenge
    Mudkipz
    The Monotype Challenge
    Trumpets
    The Monotype Challenge
    Mr. Slave

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    Gonna actually start a second region to play at home, since I play Crystal on my phone at work during lunch and stuff:

Forum User Name: Darkhelmet
    Pokémon Type: Water
    Challenge Type: Single (Still debating on Ultimate, I mean heck, I'm already at 2 regions XD)
    Games: Fire Red (Randomizer, changing wild pokemon, trainers (but using consistant types across team), abilities, and moves learned to favor same type). If any of these are not kosher for one reason or another, please let me know and I will start over)

EDIT: Oh boy, did I have an interesting start. Didn't get a starter that was water, so I took a Mew. The Mew had Psycho Boost, Mirror Coat, Kinesis, and Calm Mind. Happened upon a Barboach on the first route though, so that problem was solved. Brock (or should I say Cyclist Veronica thanks to the Randomizer) is a ground type trainer, with a Numel and a Marowak. Thanks to being a Water Type, that was rather easy to handle (Except for the fact that his Marowak had Water Absorb, Sleep Powder, and Extreme Speed).

But one badge in, here's the party of three:

Gully, the Rash Wingull
    Level 11
    Ability: Liquid Ooze
    Drill Peck
    Aeroblast
    Water Spout
    Sky Attack

Karl, the Hardy Barboach
    Level 10
    Ability: Rain Dish
    Water Pulse
    Hydro Cannon
    Clamp
    Bone Rush

Gyorg, the Adamant Relicanth
    Level 12
    Ability: Drought
    Sandstorm
    Bubblebeam
    Rock Blast
    Uproar

So, in review, I think the randomizer was rather nice to me movewise. We'll see how the rest of the gym leaders and trainers treat me. Ran into a Bug Catcher with a Jirachi, and picked up a Master Ball in Viridian Forest. I love the Randomizer. But I'll cut this update here, ONWARD TO CERULEAN CITY!

Last edited:
    Years
    I was able to beat Yellow with ground. It was easy at first, but after Koga things became frustrating. When I got to the Elite 4, I started to lose my mind. I have trouble with the Kanto Elite 4 anyways, this was just terrible. Was forced to go and train on Raticate and Rattata in Cinnabar. When I came back Nidoking and Marowak did pretty much everything. If it weren't for emulator super-speed I would've most likely gave up.

I believe I'm going to do Emerald next.

Final team:
    Nidoking (Lv. 54)
    Marowak (Lv. 53)
    Golem (Lv. 50)
    Sandslash (Lv. 51)
    Rhydon (Lv. 52)
    Dugtrio (Lv. 51)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back